FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 41 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SenseiGregT, sagat, JFawkes, pluckysaga39, sgtdemeo
22911 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Dobbersky 6
AndyLA 5
Ed_Morris 4
futsaowingchun 3
VDJ 2
August
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
New Topics
Biu Tzu- Snake hand strike
by futsaowingchun
08/27/14 09:02 PM
Chum Kiu 2nd section applications
by futsaowingchun
08/20/14 09:54 PM
2013 World Championship Rio: The Gallery (HD)
by ergees
08/19/14 05:22 AM
Chi Sao demonstration
by futsaowingchun
08/14/14 10:57 PM
Decent Fight channel
by FrankyFruits
08/07/14 09:19 PM
2014 European Championships Cadets Athens: Videos
by ergees
08/07/14 10:00 AM
Life goes on....
by Dobbersky
08/07/14 05:59 AM
An open letter to bunkai researchers...
by Bartfast
08/05/14 04:18 PM
ITF TaeKwonDo or Shotokan Karate????
by Dobbersky
07/10/14 07:14 AM
The Karate punch
by Matakiant
10/30/13 07:41 AM
Recent Posts
** Introduce Yourself! **
by Zombie Zero
Yesterday at 10:50 PM
mindfullness meditation
by log1call
08/28/14 02:39 AM
Biu Tzu- Snake hand strike
by futsaowingchun
08/27/14 09:02 PM
An open letter to bunkai researchers...
by Ed_Morris
08/26/14 09:58 PM
The Karate punch
by Ed_Morris
08/26/14 09:27 PM
Chum Kiu 2nd section applications
by futsaowingchun
08/20/14 09:54 PM
2013 World Championship Rio: The Gallery (HD)
by ergees
08/19/14 05:22 AM
attacked from behind
by AndyLA
08/16/14 04:59 PM
ITF TaeKwonDo or Shotokan Karate????
by VDJ
08/15/14 05:46 PM
Chi Sao demonstration
by futsaowingchun
08/14/14 10:57 PM
Forum Stats
22911 Members
36 Forums
35572 Topics
432483 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#417658 - 03/28/09 03:41 PM Teaching problems
kingofallbaxters Offline

Occasionally my sensei will ask me to demonstrate and coach a group of youngsters in his karate class, something I am happy to do. However, I have noticed a pattern of behaviour with the students which I find very annoying to say the least and I wondered if any experienced teachers had any tips or hints. I seem to spend the lesson continually shushing my students and trying to maintain discipline, it makes me feel like a substitute teacher at an inner city high school and its beginning to get me down. I don't notice any of the other senior students having similar problems. I don't want to just give up (I never gave up on a challenge in my life). I talked to my sensei and he isn't really helping, he just seems to think I will get the hang of it.
Any advice?
Thanks.

#417659 - 03/28/09 04:06 PM Re: Teaching problems [Re: kingofallbaxters]
Zach_Zinn Offline
Veteran

Loc: Olympia, WA
Quote:

Occasionally my sensei will ask me to demonstrate and coach a group of youngsters in his karate class, something I am happy to do. However, I have noticed a pattern of behaviour with the students which I find very annoying to say the least and I wondered if any experienced teachers had any tips or hints. I seem to spend the lesson continually shushing my students and trying to maintain discipline, it makes me feel like a substitute teacher at an inner city high school and its beginning to get me down. I don't notice any of the other senior students having similar problems. I don't want to just give up (I never gave up on a challenge in my life). I talked to my sensei and he isn't really helping, he just seems to think I will get the hang of it.
Any advice?
Thanks.

It seems to be that kids either sense you have authority or not, so anything you can do the reinforce that point will help.

My one piece of advice is that if they are misbehaving do not let them continue the behavior, seperate them from the group if they are causing disruption to other students.

It's funny my teacher does one of the best kid's classes i've ever seen, they are spellbound the whole time. It's very much a personality thing and not something I ever got the hang of, so good luck!

#417660 - 03/28/09 05:15 PM Re: Teaching problems [Re: kingofallbaxters]
Ronin1966 Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: East Coast, United States
Hello:

You have made several HUGE assumptions that must be corrected immediately. Children are NOT adults! Expecting adult discipline or silence of them is idealistic foolishness. Unfortunately neither is a little pill to be taken and achieve instant results...

Does not work that way. Children frankly I expect to be kids, not little robots, not little automatons, not "adults" in tiny child bodies. Tell them your expectations, but you have 30 seconds tops... after that you'll begin to loose them. Explain the consequences of correct behavior, and incorrect behavior.

How old are the kids? How many of them? Both will have a huge impact on how things must be presented.

Jeff

#417661 - 03/29/09 04:26 AM Re: Teaching problems [Re: Ronin1966]
kingofallbaxters Offline

Thanks guys, I guess the kids are about 10 years old and there is usually about 6 of them (depending). I have 3 of my own so I am not naive about behaviour / attention span.
I was reflecting on this question after I wrote it and I think I got the emphasis COMPLETELY wrong. I am really more concerned about my lack of authority rather than their behaviour, as I stated no other seniors seem to have this problem so what are they doing that I am not? Is it an experience thing? Tone of voice? Body language? Whenever I ask my sensei he says it's something I will get the hang of over time, but frankly its getting me down.

#426359 - 04/06/10 01:38 AM Re: Teaching problems [Re: kingofallbaxters]
ScottBolinger Offline

just gotta have a little patience with kids. But if they don't want to pay attention and learn martial arts, then go into circut training and minute drills.

#426376 - 04/07/10 12:59 PM Re: Teaching problems [Re: ScottBolinger]
Kathryn Offline

Loc: Washington, DC
I occasionally deal with a group of kids at my job, and believe me, once you have their attention, it's overwhelming! If they want to know about something, you can't answer their questions fast enough. I usually start with a big smile and a big hello, and they all say hello back.

It doesn't fit the model of silent teaching, unfortunately. You may have to adjust the teaching method to let them interact with you a little more.

#426400 - 04/08/10 11:54 AM Re: Teaching problems [Re: kingofallbaxters]
Ronin1966 Offline
Professional Poster

Hello kingofallbaxters:

Skill in anything requires time. Being a parent of three crazy was decent preperation in some respects.

Behavior and authority are the same issue. Misbehavior SEEMS like lack of authority, but it is not. If that were so, the best teachers in the universe would never have this pesky "misbehavior". So that belief is fundamentally mistaken.

Misbehavior it is not a reflection on your abilitys or skills. It is children being children. You are the newest, and they did the same thing to your teacher, your peers/seniors as they do with all of us.

What are the SPECIFIC problems you are having... there are lots here who can and will help! There are any number of things/events which make kids insane, nearly impossible to control as a teacher...

If you let yourself get upset by it you get destroyed. Glad to help, and stop beating yourself up its too (#@*@#*@@ easy to do! Knock it off.... grin

Jeff

Edited by Ronin1966 (04/08/10 11:58 AM)
Edit Reason: poor previous editing

#426401 - 04/08/10 12:07 PM Re: Teaching problems [Re: ScottBolinger]
Ronin1966 Offline
Professional Poster

Hello ScottBolinger:

<<just gotta have a little patience with kids.

Nooooooooo, you have obscene amounts of patience teaching children! By comparison make the characture of KING SOLOMEN look like a room full of toddlers in severe melt down mode compaired to us, in the role of teachers.

<<But if they don't want to pay attention and learn martial arts, then go into circut training and minute drills.

Not sure I understand how that works or truthfully what that honestly means in some ways? Can you paint this a little more for us...

Are you proposing wasting training time with meaningless entertainment or filler? Or something else?

Jeff

#426445 - 04/12/10 10:27 AM Re: Teaching problems [Re: Ronin1966]
tkd_high_green Offline
Veteran

Loc: Vermont
I think he means if they don't want to sit still and pay attention, you make them run until they are too tired to move. etc.

Laura

#426476 - 04/15/10 10:28 AM Re: Teaching problems [Re: tkd_high_green]
Ronin1966 Offline
Professional Poster

Hello Laura:

<<I think he means if they don't want to sit still and pay attention, you make them run until they are too tired to move. etc.

Ok, to which I ask the question, why waste time with FILLER activities (eg running) which is totally 100% irrelevent to learning martial arts!

Jeff

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Cord, MattJ, Reiki, tkd_high_green 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Ryukyu Art
Artifacts from the Ryukyu Kingdom missing since WWII. Visit www.ShisaLion.Org to view pictures

Best Stun Guns
Self Defense Products-stun guns, pepper spray, tasers and more

Surveillance 4U
Complete surveillance systems for covert operations or secure installation security

Asylum Images
Book presents photo tour of the Trans-Allegany Lunatic Asylum. A must if you're going to take a ghost tour!

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga