FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 34 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Bartfast, ZapEm, AndyLA, danacohenn, ksusanc
22906 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Dobbersky 6
AndyLA 5
Ed_Morris 4
futsaowingchun 3
ergees 2
August
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
New Topics
Biu Tzu- Snake hand strike
by futsaowingchun
08/27/14 09:02 PM
Chum Kiu 2nd section applications
by futsaowingchun
08/20/14 09:54 PM
2013 World Championship Rio: The Gallery (HD)
by ergees
08/19/14 05:22 AM
Chi Sao demonstration
by futsaowingchun
08/14/14 10:57 PM
Decent Fight channel
by FrankyFruits
08/07/14 09:19 PM
2014 European Championships Cadets Athens: Videos
by ergees
08/07/14 10:00 AM
Life goes on....
by Dobbersky
08/07/14 05:59 AM
An open letter to bunkai researchers...
by Bartfast
08/05/14 04:18 PM
ITF TaeKwonDo or Shotokan Karate????
by Dobbersky
07/10/14 07:14 AM
The Karate punch
by Matakiant
10/30/13 07:41 AM
Recent Posts
Biu Tzu- Snake hand strike
by futsaowingchun
08/27/14 09:02 PM
An open letter to bunkai researchers...
by Ed_Morris
08/26/14 09:58 PM
The Karate punch
by Ed_Morris
08/26/14 09:27 PM
Chum Kiu 2nd section applications
by futsaowingchun
08/20/14 09:54 PM
2013 World Championship Rio: The Gallery (HD)
by ergees
08/19/14 05:22 AM
ITF TaeKwonDo or Shotokan Karate????
by VDJ
08/15/14 05:46 PM
Chi Sao demonstration
by futsaowingchun
08/14/14 10:57 PM
** Introduce Yourself! **
by Dobbersky
08/11/14 05:03 AM
Decent Fight channel
by FrankyFruits
08/07/14 09:19 PM
2014 European Championships Cadets Athens: Videos
by ergees
08/07/14 10:00 AM
Forum Stats
22906 Members
36 Forums
35572 Topics
432478 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#417475 - 03/24/09 04:03 PM Re: Kung Fu destroying in MMA bouts. [Re: SifuHax]
Zach_Zinn Offline
Veteran

Loc: Olympia, WA
Quote:

It is very hard to find any wushu in UFC type fights. Why is that? I feel that the art I'm studying from the way my sifus teach would completely dominate in the ring. Why isn't kung fu very prominent or popular in mma.

It's a pretty safe assumption that to win an MMA match you need to train like the rest of the guys competing in MMA.

You see a lot of amateur MMA guys with root styles of TMA, but to compete they all seem to learn the mainstays of MMA, the boxing, MT and BJJ etc.

Would you try to enter a Judo competition after years of training in mongoloian wrestling or something and expect to do well?

To win in MMA it's pretty clear most people adopt the MMA training method.

I personally don't take this as a dig on TMA (as so many people do) as much as a validation that combat sports period have pretty specific training methods. TMA generally speaking don't have the same goals as combat sports, take that however you like...as a TMA practitioner myself I think the difference intentions are pretty clear.

Wondering why your TMA doesn't hold up in MMA competition is a silly, fruitless line of questioning, with a very simple answer. I.E. Defeating professional athletes requires training like those professional athletes.

It's better to ask exactly what you expect out of your TMA training, and honestly assess whether or not you think it is getting you there.

That way you avoid all the dumb-forum inspired questions of what/who can kick whos ass etc. etc...it's really all beside the point and has no bearing on anything but ego.

Edited by Zach_Zinn (03/24/09 04:13 PM)

#417476 - 03/25/09 01:11 PM Re: Kung Fu destroying in MMA bouts. [Re: Zach_Zinn]
SifuHax Offline

Loc: Westfield, New Jersey
what does tma stand for?

#417477 - 03/25/09 01:26 PM Re: Kung Fu destroying in MMA bouts. [Re: SifuHax]
MattJ Offline
Free Rhinoplasty!
Prolific

Loc: York PA. USA
Traditional Martial Arts.

#417478 - 03/26/09 08:54 PM Re: Kung Fu destroying in MMA bouts. [Re: MattJ]
SifuHax Offline

Well, what if there is a tma that is about combat for survival? The art of knowing how most efficiently to take down an opponent. A science of death. I think I found that art.

#417479 - 03/26/09 10:46 PM Re: Kung Fu destroying in MMA bouts. [Re: SifuHax]
Zach_Zinn Offline
Veteran

Loc: Olympia, WA
Quote:

Well, what if there is a tma that is about combat for survival? The art of knowing how most efficiently to take down an opponent. A science of death. I think I found that art.

Most TMA aren't what you describe, they include plenty of nasty techniques, but the framework of arts like Karate, and the vast majority of most Chinese TMA that i'm aware of are civilian defence systems.

While you might learn some violent tactics the goal of your training is evasion and escape of violence, not focused on inflicting it per se.

It used to be claimed that Koryu Jujutsu was a TMA which was originally descended from Samurai arts, deadly and all that...leaving aside the question of modern efficacy, even the root of these systems has been called into question in recent years, it turns out some of these systems may have just been esoteric aristocrat pastimes.

As far as WC goes, it is definitely a civilian defence system, not an uber deadly military killing art ( not sure there is such a thing).

It's a great art but if someone is telling you it's primary purpose is 'killing' or something like that I find that pretty quesitonable, and i'd suggest looking at some history for context of what it actually is.

Basically what i'm telling you is that "survival" almost never means being "deadly", and i'd suggest you figure out the difference between survival and beating the crap out of someone before you ever have to actually use your art, otherwise you are in for a big surprise.

The law also does not consider "deadly" to be equal to personal survival.

Look again at the quoted portion of your statement..see the contradiction?

Survival vs. the art of knowing how to take someone down...those aren't the same.

If you wanna learn to survive you need to learn to not lose, not how to kill someone.

"combat for survival" = Knowing how to not be there in the first place, secondly knowing how to not lose, and thirdly how to get away.

Edited by Zach_Zinn (03/26/09 10:49 PM)

#417480 - 03/27/09 01:09 PM Re: Kung Fu destroying in MMA bouts. [Re: Zach_Zinn]
ShikataGaNai Offline
Veteran

Loc: Bellingham, WA
SH - Please, please, PLEASE think a lot more about why you are training before you go down this path. Wanting to be deadly has nothing to do with being a martial artist. It's very easy to be a badass in the modern world - guns have seen to that. Instead of worrying about living out your own private Kill Bill movie, concentrate on challenging yourself, overcoming and finding new challenges. Spar with people for experimentation, not an opportunity to dominate. And under no circumstances use your skill to hurt someone because you want to - even if they mean you harm.
Wing Chun, alot of other kung fu's and in my opinion, MOST MA's are about learning control. If you don't have it, you can't get it. Control yourself, control the opponent, then you can control the fight.
Be humble about your developing skills and hey, try to have a little FUN for crying out loud.
Martial arts, whether TMA, MMA, JKD, WTF... just don't need any more Rambos.
Peace.

#417481 - 04/02/09 08:04 PM Re: Kung Fu destroying in MMA bouts. [Re: ShikataGaNai]
IExcalibui2 Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: New York City
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VZ9sB0pumXU

here's a guy who win's an MMA bout who trains wing chun

and heres another:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lVyrNR39m3E&feature=related

#417482 - 05/14/09 06:15 PM Re: Kung Fu destroying in MMA bouts. [Re: BrianS]
KUNGFUNOOBIE Offline
Almost Literate!

""Often times when I'm fighting street thugs and I'm losing, using TKD or karate, I simply switch to kung-fu and completely destroy a whole group of people. ""

WHAT A IGNORANT STATEMENT. WITH FAJINGS AND DIMMAKS IT IS OPSSIBLE TO BEAT MANY PEOPLE AT A TIME ULIKE WITH OTHER FIGHTING TYPES.

#417483 - 05/16/09 02:55 AM Re: Kung Fu destroying in MMA bouts. [Re: KUNGFUNOOBIE]
SifuHax Offline

Those vids weren't bad. I wonder how his chi sao is. I need see a lot of centerness in his strikes though. especially with his opponent of the ground. A lot of WCers still raise their shoulder for close range attacks. They forget about elbow power.

#417484 - 05/19/09 02:21 PM Re: Kung Fu destroying in MMA bouts. [Re: SifuHax]
IExcalibui2 Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: New York City
sure his WC in the ring wasn't the best, but honestly who cares all that much? Just because he trained in WC doesnt mean he has to look like he does 100% of the time. If he learned how to punch in a WC class and can use that punch (however he decides to) to make wins in the ring? Then I'm cool with that.

But he has a school to go to, do you SifuHax?

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Cord, Gavin, JasonM, MattJ, Reiki 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Ryukyu Art
Artifacts from the Ryukyu Kingdom missing since WWII. Visit www.ShisaLion.Org to view pictures

Best Stun Guns
Self Defense Products-stun guns, pepper spray, tasers and more

Surveillance 4U
Complete surveillance systems for covert operations or secure installation security

Asylum Images
Book presents photo tour of the Trans-Allegany Lunatic Asylum. A must if you're going to take a ghost tour!

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga