FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
1 registered (cxt), 31 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
AndyLA, danacohenn, ksusanc, kellypnik123, leyinn
22904 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Dobbersky 15
cxt 7
trevek 6
futsaowingchun 3
JKogas 2
August
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
New Topics
Applied center line theory
by futsaowingchun
07/28/14 08:55 AM
centerline concepts
by futsaowingchun
07/14/14 10:49 PM
language of syllabus
by trevek
07/11/14 03:36 PM
ITF TaeKwonDo or Shotokan Karate????
by Dobbersky
07/10/14 07:14 AM
Anderson Silva - Leg Break
by Dobbersky
12/30/13 08:32 AM
Where Are They Now?
by Dobbersky
05/30/13 08:08 AM
Gi or no Gi Grappling?
by Prizewriter
04/16/12 02:48 PM
MMA - A passing Fad
by Dobbersky
04/12/12 11:16 AM
Throwing
by
04/23/05 10:58 PM
Recent Posts
ITF TaeKwonDo or Shotokan Karate????
by Dobbersky
Yesterday at 12:04 PM
Gi or no Gi Grappling?
by Dobbersky
07/29/14 05:11 AM
Applied center line theory
by futsaowingchun
07/28/14 08:55 AM
centerline concepts
by futsaowingchun
07/28/14 08:53 AM
language of syllabus
by trevek
07/14/14 04:50 PM
MMA - A passing Fad
by Dobbersky
07/10/14 07:35 AM
Anderson Silva - Leg Break
by Dobbersky
07/09/14 06:13 AM
Throwing
by JKogas
07/03/14 07:40 PM
Forum Stats
22904 Members
36 Forums
35564 Topics
432456 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#417380 - 03/26/09 06:45 PM Re: What do you think of this school? [Re: JKogas]
Kentao5 Offline

Loc: Mount Joy, Pa.
You sir, get a cigar. Yes, I have been very fortunate to have been given the priveledge of associating with Guro Burton and other "veriafiable" JKD associates. I only wish I could have met him and the methodology of JKD training 30yrs.sooner. I have seen alot of your posts on various sites and feel you also have "it."
Ken

#417381 - 03/26/09 08:25 PM Re: What do you think of this school? [Re: Kentao5]
JKogas Offline
Prolific

Loc: North Carolina
Thanks Ken, although if I have "it", I'm sure there are plenty of folks around here who pray "it" isn't spreading, lol.

I guess you enjoy function as much as I do. It only makes sense that if you train martial arts, you want to be able to (actually) perform. That's all it's ever been about for me and it speaks a lot about you to get connected with someone like Burton.

I got involved with Thornton several years ago and realize that Burton was a big influence on him as well as so many others.

Its great to make your acquaintance! I hope to see you around these parts more. Mind if I shoot you some email?

Cheers!

-John

#417382 - 03/26/09 08:45 PM Re: What do you think of this school? [Re: JKogas]
Shadowx Offline

And here I thought no one would respond to my thread lol. Well I realize that my poll questions weren't perfect, I wasn't trying to get too political, I was really just trying to ask if this is practical typed jkd or if it is just another school using the name to get people interested.

The instructor was taught by Jerry Poteet, who was a student of Bruce Lee's correct? With this information what do you guys think? Is this good enough "lineage"? Does anyone think that this isn't a good place to train? Thank you.

#417383 - 03/26/09 09:19 PM Re: What do you think of this school? [Re: Shadowx]
JKogas Offline
Prolific

Quote:

And here I thought no one would respond to my thread lol.

See what happens when you open the JKD can o' worms, lol? All you gotta do is put JKD in the tagline and (in my best John Madden,), "Boom! There ya go!"

Quote:

Well I realize that my poll questions weren't perfect, I wasn't trying to get too political, I was really just trying to ask if this is practical typed jkd or if it is just another school using the name to get people interested.

Given the lineage of the folks involved, it's apparent its not just another school using the name.

Quote:

The instructor was taught by Jerry Poteet, who was a student of Bruce Lee's correct? With this information what do you guys think? Is this good enough "lineage"? Does anyone think that this isn't a good place to train? Thank you.

It's good lineage. But who knows if there's anything else. Do you know what I'm saying? Lineage is great and all...I guess. But if the "spirit" or essence of JKD isn't there, what good is lineage?

As far as whether or not it's a good place to train, there is only one way to find out and that's to go there and train. The guy may really have something to teach.

But the problem I have with many JKD instructors is they completely miss the point, regurgitating just more and more "Jun Fan" without any comprehension of what truth in combat really means. Or maybe it's that the idea of "returning to the original freedom" just completely misses them by a mile. I don't know. Seems to me like so many have turned JKD into just another style or "classical mess" that it was supposed to free people from.

But, that's a rant. You don't need JKD to learn truth in combat. That's free to discover. But, isn't JKD about, discovering the truth in combat? If not, then what is it? Sure that's overly simplistic, but I'm just stirring up the pot a bit more. Just curious as to what you think about it.

#417384 - 03/26/09 09:35 PM Re: What do you think of this school? [Re: JKogas]
Shadowx Offline

I think I know what you mean. I tried learning a martial art once and the teacher insisted that keep my foot very straight, but for me it felt much more natural to keep it a little more angled. When I tried to do the footwork I was very stiff and felt like an idiot, but if I angled my foot a little I was much more fluid. Would me putting my foot what fits me best be the freedom you're talking about? If so I agree.

Right now I am trying to get the simple footwork of jkd down, and I think I'm catching on (as long as I can keep my foot at the angles I want or close to it). I'm also trying to get a hang of the straight lead. Snapping my hips at the moment of impact is the hardest part for me. Even when I'm still I'm not so good at twisting my hips before the punch.

I plan on trying to make my training more fluid, with some light sparring. Anyone have any recommendations for some 12 oz sparring gloves? Not to pricey I hope? Thanks guys, keep the feedback coming.

#417385 - 03/27/09 08:13 AM Re: What do you think of this school? [Re: Shadowx]
JKogas Offline
Prolific

Shadowx

A few things to serve as food for thought.

Basics, basics, and more basics. Don't attempt to learn a style of fighting. Learn solid, testable, repeatable, fundamentals. Have someone actually try and punch you in the face (doesn't have to be hard, but should make contact). Then you will KNOW if your footwork is solid, your stance and structure is solid and if your defense is solid.

He shouldn't just "miss" because if he does, then everything else will be a house of cards. You won't have timing, distance and other attributes down. Play for "real" when you train, but keep it safe for the most part. You don't have to "bang" to gain any benefit of training. But, your shots must push at least, through deeply enough to count.

If you train that way, every question about your basics will be answered FOR you.

And that has NOTHING to do with style, JKD, or otherwise. That has everything to do with "truth".

Remember what Krishnamurti said about truth (Bruce Lee was an avid follower of him)? He said, "truth is a pathless land".

As that applies to martial arts, it means, truth is a "style-less" land. So you don't need to learn a style, system or anything else. It just means, learn those fundamentals and get to playing, for real.

#417386 - 03/28/09 12:24 AM Re: What do you think of this school? [Re: JKogas]
Shadowx Offline

That's really what I'm trying to do. I want to get back in shape again, I want to build power, speed, endurance, timing, accuracy and grace. I don't care what the style is, as long as it's simple and effective. This is what drew me to Jeet Kune Do, I want to express myself through how I move, and have my intentions be translated into movements effective for defending myself.

#417387 - 03/28/09 02:47 PM Re: What do you think of this school? [Re: Shadowx]
Kentao5 Offline

Loc: Mount Joy, Pa.
Quote:

Should the question be "What lineage is good?" Does it all come down to, are you getting what you think you are getting? If it is the ability to understand what the needs are to survive (truth in combat), then the trainng must reflect that. No bad art, just bad training.

#420580 - 07/03/09 09:25 AM Re: What do you think of this school? [Re: Kentao5]
JKogas Offline
Prolific

Originally Posted By: Kentao5
No bad art, just bad training.

Truer words were never spoken.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Cord, JKogas, MattJ, Reiki 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Fight Videos
Night club fight footage and street fights captured with the world's first bouncer spy cam

How to Matrix!
Learn ten times faster with new training method. Learn entire arts for as little as $10 per disk.

Self Defense
Stun guns, pepper spray, Mace and self defense products. Alarms for personal and home use.

TASER MC26C
Stop An Urban Gorilla: Get 2 FREE TASER M26C Replacement Air Cartridges With Each New TASER M26C!

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga