FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 33 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
LeroyCFischer, JadeKing, Beefcake, WesJones, simonajones111
22933 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
charlie 2
futsaowingchun 2
harlan 1
Matakiant 1
William_Bent 1
November
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
New Topics
unrecognized kata
by William_Bent
11/19/14 07:05 PM
I gained a lot of month in the last few months
by simonajones111
11/19/14 04:54 AM
Siu Lin Tao-3rd section applications
by futsaowingchun
11/13/14 06:48 PM
Screen fighting course UK December 2014
by charlie
11/11/14 04:09 PM
Siu Lin Tao-1st section Pak Sao explanations
by futsaowingchun
11/09/14 10:30 PM
I spy kata bunkai..
by GojuRyuboy13
10/29/14 08:28 AM
The Karate punch
by Matakiant
10/30/13 07:41 AM
Where Are They Now?
by Dobbersky
05/30/13 08:08 AM
MA style video library
by
03/22/06 03:18 PM
Recent Posts
unrecognized kata
by William_Bent
11/19/14 07:05 PM
I gained a lot of month in the last few months
by simonajones111
11/19/14 04:54 AM
Siu Lin Tao-3rd section applications
by futsaowingchun
11/13/14 06:48 PM
Screen fighting course UK December 2014
by charlie
11/11/14 04:09 PM
MA style video library
by charlie
11/11/14 04:05 PM
Siu Lin Tao-1st section Pak Sao explanations
by futsaowingchun
11/09/14 10:30 PM
The Karate punch
by Matakiant
10/29/14 10:01 PM
I spy kata bunkai..
by GojuRyuboy13
10/29/14 08:28 AM
Forum Stats
22933 Members
36 Forums
35589 Topics
432521 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#416962 - 03/15/09 10:24 AM Re: What Was Your First Ever Sparring Session Like? [Re: Nasri]
JKogas Offline
Prolific

Loc: North Carolina
I think that a majority of people feel intuitively that the closer in they get to an opponent, the more dangerous it becomes. And with good reason. The closer in you get, the more tools your opponent has to hit you with.

Many traditional martial arts instructors like the idea of using the more powerful legs from a distance. But this is one dimensional. It's extremely difficult to maintain this distance in a fight.

Don't get me wrong though, some great counter fighters love to play out in that distance. But committed grapplers with good evasive head movement WILL close that gap and move right into the clinch.

#416963 - 03/19/09 10:21 PM Re: What Was Your First Ever Sparring Session Like [Re: JKogas]
Ilove2Hit Offline

Loc: Athens, Greece
the guy thought i am form another dojo and well experienced. i thought "wow this is harsh, but ok, if this is the way it should be..."

still got the scar above my left eye. damn hooks!

#416964 - 03/24/09 11:41 PM Re: What Was Your First Ever Sparring Session Like [Re: Ilove2Hit]
clmibb Offline
Veteran

Loc: South Texas, US
My first sparring experience.....hmmmmmm. I was 11 and had been training for about a month (at the time we went only 1X a week so I had maybe 4 classes under my belt) and sparred my instructor (he does this to judge your aggression and to make sure he doesn't pair a very timid kid with an overly aggressive one). It wasn't a bad experience, wasn't hit hard but was popped a few times (not hard) just to get my reaction. Come to think of it, it was pretty uneventful. Typical timid white belt with all the normal fears and awkwardness sparring her instructor for about a minute (seemed like an hour!)

Casey

#416965 - 04/02/09 11:24 AM Re: What Was Your First Ever Sparring Session Like? [Re: Nasri]
Ironfoot Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: St. Clair Shores, MI USA
After about 3 weeks training they had me and another guy about the same size/age and inexperience go at it. I "beat" him, but he did split my lip (this was in the bare knuckle days) and blood was trickling down my gi.

So I stayed in and they put a brown belt in with me. But he took me too lightly and I knocked him out with a back kick.

So sensei figures I'm due some kind of lesson and matches me up with an even better fighter who's also 6'5". Intuitively I figure being close to him is safer than at a range where he can kick the snot out of me while being out of reach, so I crowd him. Sensei says to my uke "Knock him down - he doesn't respect you". I'm thinking "Are you kidding? This guy scares the %$*& out of me!". But he didn't hurt me...that time.

#416966 - 04/03/09 05:28 AM Re: What Was Your First Ever Sparring Session Like? [Re: Ironfoot]
matt_mcg Offline

Mine was boxing. I'd been going to the club for a few months - this was a university club - and they put about 10 of us together for our first sparring session. Headguards on, etc.

Literally the first 2 or 3 seconds into my first round my opponent smacked me with what it still one of the hardest hooks I've ever felt, so I backed off a tad dazed and he did it again. I got belted about 6 times with full power shots before the coach stopped the round. I don't remember it being especially painful [although I did have a bruised nose for a few days afterwards] but what I do remember is completely losing the ability to think and move propely after that first shot, and just repeatedly walking into hits.

Also, in retrospect, having done quite a lot of sparring since, the guy wasn't really sparring in the usual sense. He was trying to knock me out and I don't think I was prepared for it.

That sparring session also left me with a bit of a dislike for headguards.

By contrast, my first karate sparring was fairly full-on -- bare knuckles and lots of bruises -- but because there was no head-contact I didn't find it difficult or intimidating.

Savate sparring under assaut rules varies a lot depending who you are sparring. Some people go super-super-light, others pretty heavy [and not always the ones you'd expect]. I've had bruising that's lasted for three weeks from 'light contact' sparring.

#416967 - 04/03/09 10:26 PM Re: What Was Your First Ever Sparring Session Like? [Re: Nasri]
Ronin1966 Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: East Coast, United States
Hello Nasri:

Cannot say, it was too long ago.

Would never have been until I was at least a blue belt (ie beginning-intermediate ranking). Though warm up kicking back and forth certainly felt spooky-scary... (they were all much bigger, far more "worldly", and by far more agressive than I ever became...)

My first session, like I said am certain I got struck cleanly a whole bunch I am sure. Have to think on it maybe I'll remember, but for now guess I've been hit one time too many

My "chin blocks" are P-E-R-F-E-C-T-I-O-N incarnate
Jeff

#416968 - 04/06/09 08:12 PM Re: What Was Your First Ever Sparring Session Like? [Re: Ronin1966]
MattyChi Offline

Loc: Grand Rapids, MI
mine was very similar to matt_mcg's. It was at a university boxing club sparring session with head guards. I was trying to practice good blocking form and footwork with medium counter punches and jabs, but the guy I was up against was clearly out to prove something and was trying to knock me out. He kept smothering me and hitting me with all he had (with little to no form or composure) and I was getting quite battered and bruised, but the hits weren't really bothering me at first. Eventually, though, he punched me hard twice in the nose quite intentionally (since he was trying to hit me anywhere there wasn't the headguard), and I lost my temper and form and pretty much street brawled him into the corner. The coach stopped it pretty quickly. The rest of my times sparring I avoided the kid and boxed against guys I knew were professional and were actually trying to learn something.

#416969 - 04/06/09 09:03 PM Re: What Was Your First Ever Sparring Session Like? [Re: MattyChi]
journeyoflife Offline

I played a lot of defense when I first started sparring. I don't know why but I wasn't too confident in striking. I was a really skinny kid so I didn't really think I had much power. Instead, my first spars were mainly me blocking kicks and punches, dodging and evading. If I was grabbed or brought to the ground, I was slippery enough to often get out of holds, but many times that's when I'd also be forced to strike back. I won some and lost some, but I usually ended up a lot less winded than my opponent...because he would be the one doing all of the attacking.

#416970 - 05/15/09 10:15 PM Re: What Was Your First Ever Sparring Session Like? [Re: journeyoflife]
Taison Offline
The Forum Dragon
Professional Poster

Loc: BKK, Thailand
If I recall from the top of my head, my first sparring in Muay Thai.

Although I'd love to recall it as two world-class champions duking it out much like a Rocky movie with kicks and all but recent conversations with my master has proven me quite wrong. In his own words;

Quote:

You sucked. You didn't do ANYTHING, you just stood there and held your hands near your face and took all the blows. It's a wonder how you could last the first round.

Then I remember vomitting between round 1 and 2 because of nervosity, and then I got knocked out clean in round 2.

To be honest, it was a disaster. MattJ's two words says pretty much it all..

~Donnie

#416971 - 05/16/09 07:12 AM Re: What Was Your First Ever Sparring Session Like? [Re: Taison]
Urban_Samurai Offline
Stranger

Loc: N.Ireland
I did pretty good on my first sparring session. I was a natural kicker so that got me by, that and a lot of nervous energy. I loved sparring. Still do.

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Ames, Cord, MattJ, McSensei, Reiki 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Ryukyu Art
Artifacts from the Ryukyu Kingdom missing since WWII. Visit www.ShisaLion.Org to view pictures

Best Stun Guns
Self Defense Products-stun guns, pepper spray, tasers and more

Surveillance 4U
Complete surveillance systems for covert operations or secure installation security

Asylum Images
Book presents photo tour of the Trans-Allegany Lunatic Asylum. A must if you're going to take a ghost tour!

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga