FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 17 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Bartfast, ZapEm, AndyLA, danacohenn, ksusanc
22906 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Dobbersky 10
AndyLA 5
futsaowingchun 4
cxt 3
VDJ 2
August
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
New Topics
Chum Kiu 2nd section applications
by futsaowingchun
Yesterday at 09:54 PM
2013 World Championship Rio: The Gallery (HD)
by ergees
08/19/14 05:22 AM
Chi Sao demonstration
by futsaowingchun
08/14/14 10:57 PM
Decent Fight channel
by FrankyFruits
08/07/14 09:19 PM
2014 European Championships Cadets Athens: Videos
by ergees
08/07/14 10:00 AM
Life goes on....
by Dobbersky
08/07/14 05:59 AM
An open letter to bunkai researchers...
by Bartfast
08/05/14 04:18 PM
Applied center line theory
by futsaowingchun
07/28/14 08:55 AM
centerline concepts
by futsaowingchun
07/14/14 10:49 PM
ITF TaeKwonDo or Shotokan Karate????
by Dobbersky
07/10/14 07:14 AM
Recent Posts
Chum Kiu 2nd section applications
by futsaowingchun
Yesterday at 09:54 PM
2013 World Championship Rio: The Gallery (HD)
by ergees
08/19/14 05:22 AM
ITF TaeKwonDo or Shotokan Karate????
by VDJ
08/15/14 05:46 PM
Chi Sao demonstration
by futsaowingchun
08/14/14 10:57 PM
The Karate punch
by Dobbersky
08/12/14 05:14 AM
** Introduce Yourself! **
by Dobbersky
08/11/14 05:03 AM
Decent Fight channel
by FrankyFruits
08/07/14 09:19 PM
2014 European Championships Cadets Athens: Videos
by ergees
08/07/14 10:00 AM
Life goes on....
by Dobbersky
08/07/14 05:59 AM
A post for those who might become martial artists.
by AndyLA
08/06/14 07:25 AM
Forum Stats
22906 Members
36 Forums
35571 Topics
432473 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#415686 - 02/09/09 09:16 AM New routine
JoelM Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Georgia, USA
Starting to put together a new workout routine and figured some of you guys may know a little more than me. So here we go.

Goals- increase cardiovascular fitness as well as strength gains. Aesthetic improvements will be appreciated, but merely a by-product and not focused on.

Schedule-
I work Mon-Fri. Usually do 10-15 minutes on recumbent bike before work every morning. Workout sessions to be done after work Mon, Wed, and Fri. Sat-Sun rest days, but possibility of Sat sessions.

Possible exercises and current lifting range (not all inclusive or exclusive to new routine)-
*pullup- 4x5-7
*dips- 4x7-10
*hanging leg raise- unsure
squat- 4x10 with 120lb sandbag, possibly making heavier bags
pushup- unsure, never really done to failure or max
*farmer's walk- equipment in building stage, will be a week or so
overhead press/push press- op unsure, pp 4x6 85lbs (done in supersets with pullups and dips before, probably more if done alone)
deadlift- 4x8 145lbs (max weight available for barbell)
lunge- unsure
exercise bike and wavemaster to do HIIT and regular cardio on

*-preferred to have in new routine

Equipment-
50lb sandbag
70lb sandbag
10lb medicine ball
power tower (pullup, dip, roman chair)
20lb barbell with 125lb in plates to add on
farmer's walk- getting ammo cans and weight to put inside (not ready yet)
recumbent exercise bicycle
wavemaster punching bag

no gym membership, prefer to keep it that way

Thoughts and recommendations accepted along with the occasional smart-ass remark.

#415687 - 02/09/09 09:30 AM Re: New routine [Re: JoelM]
MattJ Offline
Free Rhinoplasty!
Prolific

Loc: York PA. USA
Farmer's walk is a great exercise. I have just started getting into those, as they minimize irritaton to my shoulders and elbows. Can't go wrong with pullups/dips, either.

#415688 - 02/09/09 10:44 AM Re: New routine [Re: JoelM]
Cord Offline
Prolific

Loc: Cambridge UK.
All looks good- with your sandbag squats, a nice variation, that really emphasises the 'sit back' motion, is to do alternate shoulder reps, starting in the bottom position, with the bag resting upright on the knees, you put your left shoulder into the balance point, and stand upright with it. You then reverse the motion till the bag is resting on your knees, and you then shoulder the balance point on your right and stand up. Keep alternating as the set progresses. The manual manipulation and functional core work from this is phenomenal.

If you were to do 8 supersets of this, combining it with Dips and chins- that would be a complete workout.

Sets 1,3,5,7: alternating shoulder squats super set with Pull ups

Sets 2,4,6,8: superset with dips.

Now thats a good workout- gonna do this myself tomorrow with my beer keg

#415689 - 02/09/09 11:02 PM Re: New routine [Re: Cord]
JoelM Offline
Professional Poster

Cord, you suck! Why is it whenever you give me a new workout to do I do it and then I am sore? And why haven't I learned yet?

Seriously, that was a hell of a workout, quite enjoyable. I was able to do 6 supersets, 3 each of pull ups and dips. The first three sub-sets of squats were with the 70# bag, the last three with the 50# bag because I didn't want to die. A little awkward with the bags at first, but I got into a groove. Tried not to use my hands as much, but the bags were hard to balance.

Felt a lot more work done in my pecs today, whether from the squats or the dips. The dips I adjusted last time to feel a lot better. I had gone with my upper arms past horizontal previously and it caused pain in my collarbone. Not going past horizontal I felt no pain at all, even when I felt very slight tinges while shouldering the bag in the squats.

I think that this will be a staple workout for me for a while. I like it.

I've been thinking of getting a keg to do some lifting work with, do you like yours, Cord?

#415690 - 02/09/09 11:10 PM Re: New routine [Re: JoelM]
JoelM Offline
Professional Poster

With one of my workouts set, how about this for a second on Wednesdays-

lunges
pushups
hanging leg raises
farmer's walk

Will the hanging leg raises wear on my forearms too much to get good work from the farmer's walks? If so I could do them from the roman chair position like I usually do (I balance on my elbows, back not touching the pad). I also want to be sure I'm working as much of the full body as I can during the 2 sessions per week.

For my third of the week I was going to do HIIT on the wavemaster or exercise bike. That would be on Friday night or sometime Saturday, unless that should take the place of my usual biking on Friday morning. Again, this is all with doing light pedaling on the bike M-F mornings.

#415691 - 02/09/09 11:11 PM Re: New routine [Re: MattJ]
JoelM Offline
Professional Poster

Quote:

Farmer's walk is a great exercise. I have just started getting into those, as they minimize irritaton to my shoulders and elbows. Can't go wrong with pullups/dips, either.

What weights/distance do you do them, Matt?

#415692 - 02/10/09 03:47 AM Re: New routine [Re: JoelM]
Cord Offline
Prolific

Quote:

lunges
pushups
hanging leg raises
farmer's walk

You can certainly do roman chair leg raises if you wish, but the other alternative is to tweek things to this:

overhead sandbag Lunges
Hanging leg raises
Push ups
Farmers Walk

This would give strategic relief to your grip whilst still doing max intensity versions of all exercises.

On the shouldering squats- dont worry too much about having to grab the bag and 'muscleing' it up- thats a good thing- you just have to make sure that your shoulder is positioned so the bag balances naturaly on the shoulder at the top of the squat- dont want to be pulled forward or backward too much.

Quote:

For my third of the week I was going to do HIIT on the wavemaster or exercise bike.

Tabatas session on the bag would be great

#415693 - 02/10/09 07:20 AM Re: New routine [Re: JoelM]
MattJ Offline
Free Rhinoplasty!
Prolific

Loc: York PA. USA
Quote:

What weights/distance do you do them, Matt?

Nothing great. About 60lbs (27.3kg) each hand, for about 100 ft (33m), 4 sets with 1 minute jump rope in between.

#415694 - 02/10/09 04:08 PM Re: New routine [Re: MattJ]
jkdwarrior Offline

Loc: belfast, Antrim, Ireland
Great workouts mate. If you still want to do leg raises, just do them as you do pullups, kind of like a v-up. After a while, you can change this to a sort of window wiper movement. This can help develop that twisting strength thats so important for MA. It can be difficult to get it right, but its a cracker if you get the hang of it.

#415695 - 02/11/09 04:37 AM Re: New routine [Re: JoelM]
Cord Offline
Prolific

Quote:

The dips I adjusted last time to feel a lot better. I had gone with my upper arms past horizontal previously and it caused pain in my collarbone.

Good adjustment. In stopping parallel, or just past parallel, as opposed to dropping all the way through, you actually work the pecs harder, as they have to engage to stop your descent. It also negates stretch reflex, meaning the contraction is not assisted in any way.

Quote:

I've been thinking of getting a keg to do some lifting work with, do you like yours, Cord?

oh yes indeed I do If you get one, make sure it has been de-pressurised and that you can fill it easily and just cork it.

Mine is still pressurised, and contains about 60 litres of out of date strongbow cider.

its not too much of a problem, but every now and then I have to vent the gas pressure so it doesnt turn into a huge shrapnel bomb

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Cord, MattJ, Reiki 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Ryukyu Art
Artifacts from the Ryukyu Kingdom missing since WWII. Visit www.ShisaLion.Org to view pictures

Best Stun Guns
Self Defense Products-stun guns, pepper spray, tasers and more

Surveillance 4U
Complete surveillance systems for covert operations or secure installation security

Asylum Images
Book presents photo tour of the Trans-Allegany Lunatic Asylum. A must if you're going to take a ghost tour!

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga