FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 167 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Shanktotheright, royal, bobgalle100011, agenonline, TooNice
22862 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
THEFOREVERMAN 3
MattJ 2
royal 2
Dobbersky 2
UKfightfreak 1
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30
New Topics
Judo Olympic Games 1964 Tokyo, The Video Gallery
by ergees
04/01/14 05:26 AM
Muay Thai Seminar with Greg Nelson - Marcus Charle
by Marcus Charles
03/24/14 04:39 PM
Fighting On Saturday!!!
by Dobbersky
03/20/14 05:45 AM
Where Are They Now?
by Dobbersky
05/30/13 08:08 AM
AKK kata question
by
09/04/05 01:27 PM
Recent Posts
Fighting On Saturday!!!
by THEFOREVERMAN
04/16/14 08:22 AM
Muay Thai Seminar with Greg Nelson - Marcus Charle
by THEFOREVERMAN
04/16/14 08:20 AM
AKK kata question
by MattJ
04/04/14 05:45 PM
Judo Olympic Games 1964 Tokyo, The Video Gallery
by ergees
04/01/14 05:26 AM
Forum Stats
22862 Members
36 Forums
35546 Topics
432378 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#422409 - 09/18/09 09:33 PM Re: Aikido Styles Question [Re: Dobbersky]
eyrie Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: QLD, Australia
Originally Posted By: Dobbersky
Thank you all for explaining the reasons behind the techniques that I need answers for

I see more involvement in the techniques and the "slowness" of the Uke's techniques is namely for safety as with the correct breakfall techniques when Nage throws Uke
Actually, not really. In Aikido, as it is in jujitsu, uke plays the more important role, which is to help nage learn. Uke provides nage with myriad learning opportunities, commensurate with nage's abilities and skill level.

If as uke, you change the premise of the technique, by changing the attack, or by resisting nage (over and above their level of ability), you deprive nage of a learning opportunity. That opportunity is wasted, and so is the time spent on the mat. Uke learns just as much, if not more, by simply doing their job - taking ukemi. Turn it the other way round... would you appreciate it if uke resisted and changed the attack, and deprived you of the opportunity to learn a new technique?

If, say, it was your first time learning how to put on a choke, and your uke resisted and fought back, or shifted so you couldn't apply it, wouldn't it be a waste of time? More often than not, it becomes a contest of strength, and neither of you learn anything in that encounter - except the truism that the stronger person will always win.

The slowness and highly cooperative nature of training is designed to inculcate correct body mechanics, with little or no effort. All too often, I see people muscling their way thru technique, in an attempt to complete the technique and put uke into the mat. That, to me, defeats the entire purpose of learning correct body mechanics - and how to use the other person's strength and force against themselves.

Which to me, is the entire premise of martial arts and self-defence. It's not designed for people who are already strong. It's to give the weaker person a tactical advantage over another's strength.

Aikido is not a force-on-force paradigm. It's about redirecting force, and outputing just enough force, on very subtle levels of sensitivity. That's why it's done slowly and deliberately. Training safety, is and should be a primary concern in any case, irrespective of what MA you're doing.

#422410 - 09/18/09 10:14 PM Re: Aikido Styles Question [Re: eyrie]
eyrie Offline
Professional Poster

Despite the fact that this is largely a showcase demo, I think it pretty much highlights the potential of Aikido application (as in applied technique). Mazhar Al-Dardari is a high ranking aikido teacher in Syria, which by all accounts, is a fairly rough part of the world.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2r8G8ol8ios

#422415 - 09/19/09 08:22 AM Re: Aikido Styles Question [Re: eyrie]
Dobbersky Offline
Peace Works!!!!
Enthusiast

Loc: Manchester United Kingdom
I like that video, I can understand it takes years of practice to get to that level but he made it look so fluid as dare I say easy.

OSU (in my school this is a highly respectful response)

Ken

#422424 - 09/20/09 02:02 AM Re: Aikido Styles Question [Re: Dobbersky]
eyrie Offline
Professional Poster

NP Dobbersky... as long as it made you THINK about things at a deeper level, I feel that I've helped in some way. smile

Skill can only be acquired through correct practice of principles and technique. For some it may take years, and others a lifetime - simply because there are gradations and levels of skills. Which level do you want to shoot for?

That my friend, is the answer... wink

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Moderator:  Ames, Cord, MattJ, Reiki 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Self Defense
Offering stun guns, pepper spray, tasers and other self defense products not available in stores.

Pepper Spray
Online distributor of self defense supplies like videos, stun guns, Tasers and more.

Spy Cameras
Surveillance, Hidden Cameras, Nanny Cams, Digital Recorders, Spy Equipment, Pocket DVR's and more

Stun Gun
Wholesale Directlhy to the Public! Stun gun and Taser Guns and personal protection products. Keep your loved ones at home safe!

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga