FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 39 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SenseiGregT, sagat, JFawkes, pluckysaga39, sgtdemeo
22911 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
AndyLA 5
Dobbersky 5
Ed_Morris 4
futsaowingchun 3
ergees 3
September
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
New Topics
2014 World Championships Chelyabinsk: The Gallery
by ergees
Yesterday at 03:51 AM
Biu Tzu- Snake hand strike
by futsaowingchun
08/27/14 09:02 PM
Chum Kiu 2nd section applications
by futsaowingchun
08/20/14 09:54 PM
2013 World Championship Rio: The Gallery (HD)
by ergees
08/19/14 05:22 AM
Chi Sao demonstration
by futsaowingchun
08/14/14 10:57 PM
Decent Fight channel
by FrankyFruits
08/07/14 09:19 PM
2014 European Championships Cadets Athens: Videos
by ergees
08/07/14 10:00 AM
Life goes on....
by Dobbersky
08/07/14 05:59 AM
An open letter to bunkai researchers...
by Bartfast
08/05/14 04:18 PM
ITF TaeKwonDo or Shotokan Karate????
by Dobbersky
07/10/14 07:14 AM
Recent Posts
2014 World Championships Chelyabinsk: The Gallery
by ergees
Yesterday at 03:51 AM
** Introduce Yourself! **
by Zombie Zero
08/29/14 10:50 PM
mindfullness meditation
by log1call
08/28/14 02:39 AM
Biu Tzu- Snake hand strike
by futsaowingchun
08/27/14 09:02 PM
An open letter to bunkai researchers...
by Ed_Morris
08/26/14 09:58 PM
The Karate punch
by Ed_Morris
08/26/14 09:27 PM
Chum Kiu 2nd section applications
by futsaowingchun
08/20/14 09:54 PM
2013 World Championship Rio: The Gallery (HD)
by ergees
08/19/14 05:22 AM
attacked from behind
by AndyLA
08/16/14 04:59 PM
ITF TaeKwonDo or Shotokan Karate????
by VDJ
08/15/14 05:46 PM
Forum Stats
22911 Members
36 Forums
35573 Topics
432484 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#414512 - 02/22/09 10:30 AM Re: Effects of Holding Breath? [Re: karl314285]
karl314285 Offline

Loc: The Matrix, Serif is Teacher
Note, question to all at asterisks please reply.
I think the posts on holding breath (from possible improvement or lack thereof of physiologic increase of lung capacity/oxygen exchange at the alveolar level to the possible/definitive dangers esp without a very experienced Teacher) have all been straight on target.
***To Joe7987 and any interested to comment. I love Qi Gong now that I've experienced this internal energy/healing style in the presence of Master Wei Lun Huang (huangtaichi.com) the variety and intensity w/ explanation of proper breathing and visualization of energy movement, so like Yoga (in movement one is still and in stillness exists movement). Gurudev Amrit is less and less available personally as he prepares to enter a final seclusion of meditation in preparation for "that journey from which no man hath returned".
*** Is just me?? I can only seem to truly enjoy and feel benefit from Qi Gong practice if Master Huang is physically present (its not just that trying to do Incense Chi Kung is so complex,and it is full) and as in the practice of Zen Buddhism I feel a total difference alone vs. having been part of the Sangha at Mountian and Rivers order in the catskills. I just wonder if I have not practiced enough and like a child need the Parent and Family??? Long time w/ Gurudev and solitary practice was what I wanted. any thoughts????

#414513 - 02/22/09 10:14 PM Re: Effects of Holding Breath? [Re: karl314285]
karl314285 Offline

Loc: The Matrix, Serif is Teacher
OK, maybe my last post didnt deserve response.
Chi Kung_ In the variety of chi kung w/ Master Huang I have not encountered holding the breath unless one counts either the obligatory exaggerated swallowing of saliva collected during practice (tip of tongue to palate) or the momentary hold at peak inspiration and expiration during preparation for chi kung (and same prep prior to Ba Gua) where visualization of movement of energy is raising and lowering through energy channels and looking within for imbalances(Inhale palms rise up,exhale as palms face down,inhale and expand, exhale and compress)...otherwise breathing was to be in through nostrils out through mouth, and even with a static pose like (Love these names) "Monkey awaits Peach" or end of lion chi kung ("lion shakes his mane") where the simple direction to keep hands in lion claw tight and "just relax and shake" if you dont breath like a bellows you wont last to the next.
Yoga_ Yoga Pranayama practice begins without breath hold, as student learns to move energy through the energy channels in the spine and using nostril closing balance the Ida and Pingale (Yn/and yang) channels of spine (a familiar autonomic function one has probably already noticed, the cycle of one nostril dominant (more open) the other passive less open or even clogged. Breath holding is practiced w/ energy locks (Physical restrictions on primary areas of body where energy is lost) to build internal energy in preparation to awaken kundalini shakti and begin to raise to the crown chakra, Not unlike chi kung and the jade nectar mentioned above. Yoginda back to time immemorial have cautioned the unwary (read, no teacher, not ready, not practicing ridding excess energy after practice, abusing the accumulated energy) that headaches, illness, insanity and even death are possible.
Buddhism_ Other than development of internal energy, control of the breath is the first control of a generally autonomic function, control of the breath requires focus, focus is required for meditation and the transformation of the Mind. This part is outrageous, His Holiness the Dalai Lama has written that meditation can begin when one can focus "vividly and continuously for Four hours,stability can be said to be achieved" paraphrase from "How to Practice" HH the 14th Dalai Lama pg127, there is no mention of breath holding.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Cord, MattJ, Reiki, WhiteDragon11 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Fight Videos
Night club fight footage and street fights captured with the world's first bouncer spy cam

How to Matrix!
Learn ten times faster with new training method. Learn entire arts for as little as $10 per disk.

Self Defense
Stun guns, pepper spray, Mace and self defense products. Alarms for personal and home use.

TASER MC26C
Stop An Urban Gorilla: Get 2 FREE TASER M26C Replacement Air Cartridges With Each New TASER M26C!

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga