FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 25 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
LeroyCFischer, JadeKing, Beefcake, WesJones, simonajones111
22933 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
charlie 2
futsaowingchun 2
GojuRyuboy13 1
Zombie Zero 1
harlan 1
November
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
New Topics
unrecognized kata
by William_Bent
11/19/14 07:05 PM
I gained a lot of month in the last few months
by simonajones111
11/19/14 04:54 AM
Siu Lin Tao-3rd section applications
by futsaowingchun
11/13/14 06:48 PM
Screen fighting course UK December 2014
by charlie
11/11/14 04:09 PM
Siu Lin Tao-1st section Pak Sao explanations
by futsaowingchun
11/09/14 10:30 PM
I spy kata bunkai..
by GojuRyuboy13
10/29/14 08:28 AM
Judo 2014 World Championships Juniors: The Gallery
by ergees
10/25/14 04:53 PM
The Karate punch
by Matakiant
10/30/13 07:41 AM
Where Are They Now?
by Dobbersky
05/30/13 08:08 AM
MA style video library
by
03/22/06 03:18 PM
Recent Posts
unrecognized kata
by William_Bent
11/19/14 07:05 PM
I gained a lot of month in the last few months
by simonajones111
11/19/14 04:54 AM
Siu Lin Tao-3rd section applications
by futsaowingchun
11/13/14 06:48 PM
Screen fighting course UK December 2014
by charlie
11/11/14 04:09 PM
MA style video library
by charlie
11/11/14 04:05 PM
Siu Lin Tao-1st section Pak Sao explanations
by futsaowingchun
11/09/14 10:30 PM
The Karate punch
by Matakiant
10/29/14 10:01 PM
I spy kata bunkai..
by GojuRyuboy13
10/29/14 08:28 AM
Judo 2014 World Championships Juniors: The Gallery
by ergees
10/25/14 04:53 PM
Forum Stats
22933 Members
36 Forums
35589 Topics
432521 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 5 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#414453 - 02/01/09 09:07 PM Re: UFC 94 SPOILERS!!SPOILERS!!SPOILERS!! [Re: Cord]
Spade Offline

Loc: Auburn, Al.
GSP quite simply, murdered BJ Penn, Penn barley had enough room to breath, much less fight back.

I don't see anyone taking the belt away from GSP in the near future,

I'm looking forward to seeing more of Jon Jones also, that guy was awesome.

#414454 - 02/02/09 11:22 AM Re: UFC 94 SPOILERS!!SPOILERS!!SPOILERS!! [Re: Spade]
JasonM Offline
Professional Poster

Man, I better stop watching Penn Fight. This is the second time I have paid to watch him fight and again was disappointed. Maybe I am brining him bad luck. :O

The last time, I can't remember who he fought but he gas'd. I kept hearing how he got a strength and conditioning coach, blah blah blah..So, this time I was ok, lets buy the fight. And again penn disappointed me and seemed to have gas'd. It seems that Penn is more hype than anything.

#414455 - 02/02/09 01:39 PM Re: UFC 94 SPOILERS!!SPOILERS!!SPOILERS!! [Re: JasonM]
Supremor Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: UK
Quote:

It seems that Penn is more hype than anything.

I don't agree with that. He is a dominant lightweight. The real problem for him was that he was fighting a 170lb guy who normally walks around at 185. Little wonder that Penn, who weighed in at 168lb with no need to cut, got manhandled by GSP. Sure, GSP's skill played a big factor too, but if you read the recent Sherdog article, you'll see that Penn's record in the 170lb division is only 1-3 now.

In the lightweight division, Penn is a much more difficult opponent and his brilliant talent and technical grappling skill become apparent. There are few LWs who could beat Penn I think, and I don't think Florian will either.

#414456 - 02/02/09 01:55 PM Re: UFC 94 SPOILERS!!SPOILERS!!SPOILERS!! [Re: Supremor]
MattJ Offline
Free Rhinoplasty!
Prolific

Loc: York PA. USA
Agreed with Supremor, but I am totally stoked to see Florian vs Penn. That should be a great match. I think Kenny has a good shot against BJ.

#414457 - 02/02/09 02:12 PM Re: UFC 94 SPOILERS!!SPOILERS!!SPOILERS!! [Re: JasonM]
Cord Offline
Prolific

Loc: Cambridge UK.
Quote:

I kept hearing how he got a strength and conditioning coach, blah blah blah..So, this time I was ok, lets buy the fight. And again penn disappointed me and seemed to have gas'd. It seems that Penn is more hype than anything.

Did you see some of his 'conditioning' 'Running rocks' may well have been all the rage amomg his forebares, but its a redundant activity for conditioning: a) being underwater, the weight of the rock is partially supported by the water, so its easier to hold. b) what weight you do take from it is held in front of you, thus making the forward propulsion easier.
The rest of it is just a 'hold your breath' contest.

If he had carried rocks around on land, and done some HIIT swimming drills, he would have been much better prepared.

The thing is that he is still very much a 'Hilo' boy, and that carries with it certain distractions and possibly some negative aspects- its not long since he and his 'bradda' were investigated for beating up a cop.
Add to that hearing every day that you are a prodigy and a natural god made fighting talent, and you have a pretty strong cocktail for making someone do a half a$$ed job in preparation- and it always shows.

#414458 - 02/02/09 03:06 PM Re: UFC 94 SPOILERS!!SPOILERS!!SPOILERS!! [Re: Cord]
Dereck Offline
Prolific

Loc: Great White North
You see him three times running under water; that is probably all he did. Jogging lightly and talking with who is with him and waving to people; that is not conditioning. No, Penn doesn't have the conditioning that others have and as far as skill; he needs to work on that.

Face it, this guy has talent and he won't work to make talent into a winning formula. Having your own gym where you are the top guy will never win for you because you are not being challenged; after a while your training gets stagnant. He is the top dog in his family and his brothers are not going to do anything to tick him off plus they are star struck with him. Time for him to train elsewhere more often and get a different crew.

Florian definitely has a good chance; an excellent chance. He constantly improves and is going to be more then a match for Penn; especially since Penn now mentally has this loss to deal with; especially after his mouth couldn't cash the cheque. I wouldn't doubt Florian goes and trains with GSP.

I'm backing Florian on the next fight.

#414459 - 02/02/09 04:58 PM Re: UFC 94 SPOILERS!!SPOILERS!!SPOILERS!! [Re: Supremor]
JKogas Offline
Prolific

Loc: North Carolina
Quote:

The real problem for him was that he was fighting a 170lb guy who normally walks around at 185. Little wonder that Penn, who weighed in at 168lb with no need to cut, got manhandled by GSP. Sure, GSP's skill played a big factor too, but if you read the recent Sherdog article, you'll see that Penn's record in the 170lb division is only 1-3 now.

Exactly. While taking nothing away from GSP, he was much bigger than Penn. If you don't have to cut weight, you're probably in the wrong division.

Quote:

In the lightweight division, Penn is a much more difficult opponent and his brilliant talent and technical grappling skill become apparent. There are few LWs who could beat Penn I think, and I don't think Florian will either.

I think Penn will continue to be a dominant force at light weight, although Florian has as good a chance against him as anyone. I look for a decision win in favor of Penn.

#414460 - 02/02/09 09:29 PM Re: UFC 94 SPOILERS!!SPOILERS!!SPOILERS!! [Re: JKogas]
MattyChi Offline

Loc: Grand Rapids, MI
always seems to be one of these after a big fight......

Gsp Vasoline Cheater

Edited by MattyChi (02/02/09 09:36 PM)

#414461 - 02/02/09 10:17 PM Re: UFC 94 SPOILERS!!SPOILERS!!SPOILERS!! [Re: MattyChi]
Dereck Offline
Prolific

Loc: Great White North
I just read that link; plus many of the other comments people wrote. Vaseline or no Vaseline; BJ Penn was out performed and dominated by a better fighter stand-up and on the ground. Even if they were the exact same weight of the fight the outcome would have been the same.

I just watched the video for the 2nd time since the fight and yes I see the rubbing as indicated but was there really enough to make that much of a difference? And the Athletic Commission made them wipe him down and did so themselves. I've seen them come in before to wipe Vaseline from fighters heads before as well; that is their job. And let it be known, at any point THEY could have stopped the fight if they thought it should have been; as that is their job as well. They let it continue as not seeing a need to stop and the fight stands AS IS; a win for GSP because nobody can take that away from him; not even this crap that the Penns and the Penn huggers are trying to do.

Penn, you got beat and you quit ... you are a beyotch. Face it, your natural talent is not enough to win ... try training for once and really put some heart into it; you slacker!

#414462 - 02/03/09 08:43 AM Re: UFC 94 SPOILERS!!SPOILERS!!SPOILERS!! [Re: Dereck]
JasonM Offline
Professional Poster

hahha...i second those comments.

My boy was at the fight. He said the Canadians dogged Penn BAAD..I heard they also talked mad chit on this website..

My friend also said the Canadians were in full force.

Page 5 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  Cord, Fletch1, MattJ, Reiki 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Ryukyu Art
Artifacts from the Ryukyu Kingdom missing since WWII. Visit www.ShisaLion.Org to view pictures

Best Stun Guns
Self Defense Products-stun guns, pepper spray, tasers and more

Surveillance 4U
Complete surveillance systems for covert operations or secure installation security

Asylum Images
Book presents photo tour of the Trans-Allegany Lunatic Asylum. A must if you're going to take a ghost tour!

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga