FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 34 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
AndyLA, danacohenn, ksusanc, kellypnik123, leyinn
22904 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Dobbersky 14
cxt 7
trevek 6
JKogas 5
futsaowingchun 3
July
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30 31
New Topics
Applied center line theory
by futsaowingchun
07/28/14 08:55 AM
centerline concepts
by futsaowingchun
07/14/14 10:49 PM
language of syllabus
by trevek
07/11/14 03:36 PM
ITF TaeKwonDo or Shotokan Karate????
by Dobbersky
07/10/14 07:14 AM
Anderson Silva - Leg Break
by Dobbersky
12/30/13 08:32 AM
Where Are They Now?
by Dobbersky
05/30/13 08:08 AM
Gi or no Gi Grappling?
by Prizewriter
04/16/12 02:48 PM
MMA - A passing Fad
by Dobbersky
04/12/12 11:16 AM
Throwing
by
04/23/05 10:58 PM
Recent Posts
Gi or no Gi Grappling?
by Dobbersky
07/29/14 05:11 AM
Applied center line theory
by futsaowingchun
07/28/14 08:55 AM
centerline concepts
by futsaowingchun
07/28/14 08:53 AM
ITF TaeKwonDo or Shotokan Karate????
by cxt
07/24/14 11:35 AM
language of syllabus
by trevek
07/14/14 04:50 PM
MMA - A passing Fad
by Dobbersky
07/10/14 07:35 AM
Anderson Silva - Leg Break
by Dobbersky
07/09/14 06:13 AM
Throwing
by JKogas
07/03/14 07:40 PM
Forum Stats
22904 Members
36 Forums
35564 Topics
432455 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 3 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#414433 - 01/17/09 10:04 AM Re: UFC 94 Penn vs GSP [Re: Supremor]
JKogas Offline
Prolific

Loc: North Carolina
Trust me guys, I believe GSP's wrestling is superior to perhaps anyone else.

Of course, Sean Sherk's wrestling should have been superior to BJ's as well. The result was that, Penn's game plan was superior to Sherk's.

I think conditioning will play a huge factor in what happens here. GSP's conditioning is beyond question. Penn's always has been. What hasn't been in question regarding Penn, is his level of talent.

I believe that the edge here definitely belongs to GSP, don't get me wrong. But there are times when you have to take the dog. I'm doing so this time although I believe Penn will probably lose.

#414434 - 01/17/09 10:07 AM Re: UFC 94 Penn vs GSP [Re: JKogas]
MattJ Offline
Free Rhinoplasty!
Prolific

Loc: York PA. USA
Cord -

I don't think BJ is going to get submitted. His jits is too good. Remember, he almost caught GSP in a gogoplata (shin choke), in the previous fight.

Quote:

Quote:

Each time GSP took BJ down, he didn't do a whole lot of damage.

Read the rules: Takedowns + Control = Points. A decision win is still a win.

*pauses to consider Bisping/Hamill fight*

#414435 - 01/17/09 10:22 AM Re: UFC 94 Penn vs GSP [Re: MattJ]
JKogas Offline
Prolific

Loc: North Carolina
Quote:

*pauses to consider Bisping/Hamill fight*

Oh wait....is this fight taking place in Canada (or the US)??? These things matter

#414436 - 01/21/09 04:09 PM Re: UFC 94 Penn vs GSP [Re: JKogas]
Spade Offline

Loc: Auburn, Al.
I guess not everyone likes playing the villain:

Trouble in paradise? B.J. Penn cuts short "UFC Primetime" taping

Despite solid ratings for Spike TV's first installment of the three-part "UFC Primetime: St. Pierre vs. Penn II" series, at least one participant was apparently unhappy with how he was portrayed in the piece.

A source close to the show on Tuesday told MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) B.J. Penn recently shut down a taping and interview session for the series and no longer wants involved in the project.

Penn was apparently unhappy with how he was portrayed in last week's debut of the series, which hypes a Jan. 31 UFC 94 main event fight between the Hawaiian fighter and UFC welterweight champion Georges St. Pierre.

Penn, the UFC's current lightweight title-holder, looks to become the first-ever UFC fighter to hold two belts simultaneously when he fights for St. Pierre's title at the MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas.

"Primetime," a nearly $2 million project that airs in 30-minute blocks on Wednesdays from Jan. 14-28, follows each fighter as he prepares for the fight.

During the Jan. 14 debut, Penn was sometimes portrayed as a fighter who didn't take his training too seriously a reputation that's long dogged the 30-year-old fighter.

In the latest taping segment for "Primetime," Penn cut short taping just eight minutes into an interview, the source said.

A message left with Penn's publicity representative wasn't immediately returned.

The second installment of "UFC Primetime" airs tonight at 10 p.m. EST/PST on Spike TV.

Last week's "Primetime" debut scored a scored a 0.73 household rating and had an average audience of 880,000 viewers during its initial run at 10 p.m. EST/PST. An immediate replay that aired at 10:30 p.m. EST/PST scored a 0.53 rating with 614,000 viewers.

It currently ranks as the highest-rated "UFC Countdown" show in UFC and Spike TV history.

#414437 - 01/21/09 04:18 PM Re: UFC 94 Penn vs GSP [Re: Spade]
Cord Offline
Prolific

Loc: Cambridge UK.
I honestly dont know why they try and make fighters in any fight-sport do the whole face/heel hype machine.

We all know that, in the main, after the fight its all 'it was all for the hype, we respect eachother really etc etc', so repeating the same old 'trick' is f*cking tiring- and insulting.

I would prefer a bit of honesty and dignity. Lets not forget that Ali let himself down badly by taking his hype too far with Frazier. To this day, the effect on Joe and his family at the time has meant that he has never forgiven Ali, and I understand that.

The whole thing about fight-sport is that the fight is the truth- thats the whole point, why demean in with all the

#414438 - 01/21/09 05:49 PM Re: UFC 94 Penn vs GSP [Re: Cord]
Dereck Offline
Prolific

Loc: Great White North
I enjoyed the show and have it set to record again today. Penn does play the heel but he does that himself if you watch it. Probably also didn't like people knowing he was taking 5 days off from his training to putz around.

If anything I hope this kicks him in the pants to train harder and when it comes to the actual fight, then it will be a good fight.

Dana is all about promoting and he has to. If he did not promote the UFC like he is doing then he would not be where he is today and the UFC would have closed down. If you have ever seen the documentary of the UFC they were going to shut down and took one more kick at the cat with the Ultimate Fighter show. It did so well now they have money to boot and realize they must continue to promote this to the people because they want more then just the MMA people. They took pages from the WWE for sure as this is prime pro wrestling tactics; and this Primetime was bang on with this.

We are in a world of people that love reality shows and the UFC has capitalized on it and will continue to do so as long as that gravy train is flowing. They had me before this all transpired as have always been a MMA fan but have peaked my interest more because I do like many reality based shows.

Will be watching tonight after I work out.

#414439 - 01/21/09 10:01 PM Re: UFC 94 Penn vs GSP [Re: Dereck]
Spade Offline

Loc: Auburn, Al.
Quote:

I enjoyed the show and have it set to record again today. Penn does play the heel but he does that himself if you watch it. Probably also didn't like people knowing he was taking 5 days off from his training to putz around.

#414440 - 01/22/09 08:57 AM Re: UFC 94 Penn vs GSP [Re: Spade]
Dereck Offline
Prolific

Loc: Great White North
Another good episode and a look into the fighters.

#414441 - 01/23/09 01:56 PM Re: UFC 94 Penn vs GSP [Re: Cord]
Neko456 Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Midwest City, Ok, USA
Cord wrote - I would prefer a bit of honesty and dignity. Lets not forget that Ali let himself down badly by taking his hype too far with Frazier. To this day, the effect on Joe and his family at the time has meant that he has never forgiven Ali, and I understand that.

The whole thing about fight-sport is that the fight is the truth- thats the whole point, why demean in with all the

456 - Money talks and BS walks but in this case BS makes more money all 3 Ali vs Fraizer fights were money makers and crowd pleasers. If B.J. Penn can get the hype to that point and they pull in the near same type money. This will be a great gain & fight. I think GSP will win he has improved in phases of the game B.J. has too. But this time I don't think that B.j's stand up will out gun GSP's because in almost every defeat GSP has come back avenge it, and he beat BJ last time. The only thing I fear is BJ's guard and his finishing skills once hurt against GSP. Against me I just fear and respect them both .
I like them both and hope both good luck.

This is going to be a great fight BJ may have an advantage in punching power but he is coming up in weight. We will see.

The whole card looks good but this main event is the Best of the Best.

Edited by Neko456 (01/23/09 02:03 PM)

#414442 - 01/24/09 06:21 AM Re: UFC 94 Penn vs GSP [Re: Neko456]
Tom2199 Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: England
im thinking GSP by decision or TKO from ground and pound.

however i never count BJ out

Page 3 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  Cord, Fletch1, MattJ, Reiki 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Self Defense
Offering stun guns, pepper spray, tasers and other self defense products not available in stores.

Pepper Spray
Online distributor of self defense supplies like videos, stun guns, Tasers and more.

Spy Cameras
Surveillance, Hidden Cameras, Nanny Cams, Digital Recorders, Spy Equipment, Pocket DVR's and more

Stun Gun
Wholesale Directlhy to the Public! Stun gun and Taser Guns and personal protection products. Keep your loved ones at home safe!

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga