FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 20 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SenseiGregT, sagat, JFawkes, pluckysaga39, sgtdemeo
22911 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
AndyLA 5
Dobbersky 5
Ed_Morris 4
ergees 3
futsaowingchun 3
September
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
New Topics
2014 World Championships Chelyabinsk: The Gallery
by ergees
Yesterday at 03:51 AM
Biu Tzu- Snake hand strike
by futsaowingchun
08/27/14 09:02 PM
Chum Kiu 2nd section applications
by futsaowingchun
08/20/14 09:54 PM
2013 World Championship Rio: The Gallery (HD)
by ergees
08/19/14 05:22 AM
Chi Sao demonstration
by futsaowingchun
08/14/14 10:57 PM
Decent Fight channel
by FrankyFruits
08/07/14 09:19 PM
2014 European Championships Cadets Athens: Videos
by ergees
08/07/14 10:00 AM
Life goes on....
by Dobbersky
08/07/14 05:59 AM
An open letter to bunkai researchers...
by Bartfast
08/05/14 04:18 PM
ITF TaeKwonDo or Shotokan Karate????
by Dobbersky
07/10/14 07:14 AM
Recent Posts
2014 World Championships Chelyabinsk: The Gallery
by ergees
Yesterday at 03:51 AM
** Introduce Yourself! **
by Zombie Zero
08/29/14 10:50 PM
mindfullness meditation
by log1call
08/28/14 02:39 AM
Biu Tzu- Snake hand strike
by futsaowingchun
08/27/14 09:02 PM
An open letter to bunkai researchers...
by Ed_Morris
08/26/14 09:58 PM
The Karate punch
by Ed_Morris
08/26/14 09:27 PM
Chum Kiu 2nd section applications
by futsaowingchun
08/20/14 09:54 PM
2013 World Championship Rio: The Gallery (HD)
by ergees
08/19/14 05:22 AM
attacked from behind
by AndyLA
08/16/14 04:59 PM
ITF TaeKwonDo or Shotokan Karate????
by VDJ
08/15/14 05:46 PM
Forum Stats
22911 Members
36 Forums
35573 Topics
432484 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#414165 - 01/10/09 08:28 PM Shinai free fighting, fencing, kendo...
Egoras Offline

Loc: Buenos Aires, Argentina
Hey just made this video with my friends, what do you think???

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hKfZ-_do_uY

#414166 - 01/11/09 04:41 PM Re: Shinai free fighting, fencing, kendo... [Re: Egoras]
Charles Mahan Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Denton, Tx, USA
Looks like some folks with no connection to genuine sword arts whacking each other with sticks. Am I wrong?

#414167 - 01/11/09 05:03 PM Re: Shinai free fighting, fencing, kendo... [Re: Charles Mahan]
Egoras Offline

You're partially wrong:

'Grasshopper' is an occidental fencer.

'Japase Kendoka' is what his name says.

'Germinator' has no connection, but fighting him is tricky because he acts like a crazy barbarian.

'Foil Fencer'... is a fencer.

The only ones that are completely off (but are still fun to see) are 'Judoka Scorpion' and 'Itie'.

This is real fighting, not choreographies.

Would you rather see a "Swords Fight!" titled video with two guys with doing some fancy movements and trying to make it look like it's real?

The good thing about the video is that IT'S REAL...

Would you say "Sword Art" is only about katas and theory about what a real fight would be? I strongy disagree. In order to be a sword master you must fight, not only practice what you would do in a fight.

#414168 - 01/11/09 05:30 PM Re: Shinai free fighting, fencing, kendo... [Re: Egoras]
Ames Offline
Veteran

Firstly, I respect your guys cahona's for going at it full contact with just head gear. However, I do have a couple of points to raise:

Quote:

The good thing about the video is that IT'S REAL...

No offense, but no it is not real. It might be an approximation, but it surely isn't real. Even it being an approximation of 'reality' would neccitate the combatants having some knowledge of the actual capacity of a sword to inflict damage. This can really only be had through drilling of techniques which come down to us from those who actually engaged with live weapons.

Quote:

Would you say "Sword Art" is only about katas and theory about what a real fight would be? I strongy disagree. In order to be a sword master you must fight, not only practice what you would do in a fight.

Many 'kata based' koryu sword arts, do at some point have randori.

Also, I'd like to point out that by your own logic, it would be impossible for any one to reach 'master' status with a sword, as it is fairly impossible to engage in live dueling (which is what a 'real' sword fight is) in this day and age.

--Chris

Edited by Ames (01/11/09 05:33 PM)

#414169 - 01/11/09 06:02 PM Re: Shinai free fighting, fencing, kendo... [Re: Ames]
Egoras Offline

Hi Chris, thanks for your post.

Of course, in my opinion randori is absolutely necessary! But it should be done with protection, reducing the fear of hurting your opponent and therefore fighting with all you've got.

I accept it's not real, but only under certain circumstances. For example, the flying-hits 'Grasshopper' deliver would be kind of silly against an oponent with strong head and face protection, because the blow would not be strong enough. But against an unarmoured opponent it would be trouble. As you have stated: it's an approach. I find very interesting what you have said about studying real sword damage. Do you have any videos or documents or something I could see that reflects that experience? Thanks!

Master status, for me, apart from knowing the technique, is being able to fight being completely relaxed and nevertheless winning easily against almost any opponent, except other masters, of course. I guess you could be a master in non-lethal sword fighting, but as you said, you wouldn't be a live-dueling master.

Again thanks for your answer!

Edited by Egoras (01/11/09 06:03 PM)

#414170 - 01/11/09 06:17 PM Re: Shinai free fighting, fencing, kendo... [Re: Egoras]
Ames Offline
Veteran

I tend to agree that at some point randori is necessary. But I also think, as this applies to someone studying a non-sport sword art, that randori done to early can, and usually is, detrimental to development.

Quote:

I find very interesting what you have said about studying real sword damage. Do you have any videos or documents or something I could see that reflects that experience? Thanks!

Finding this kind of documentation would be difficult. If I was so inclined, I would begin by looking into case studies involving deaths by machette or knives. Although not exactly like the damage one would sustain from a sword, it might provided a good start.

But what I was referring to was that through the study of a tradional sword art, such as kenjutsu, one is made aware of the types of strikes, the specific angles of attack and the vulnerable areas of the body to target, as well as how to open them up for attack. The other issue would be proper depth, which can be taught through test cutting. Again, I feel that in order to learn these things, you need to study in an art that has had this information passed down from the years people actually fought with live blades.

The danger with just practicing randori with a shinai is that, although sometimes a hit may sting, it might be to a less vulnerable area; meanwhile a person may thrust, you may not feel it as much, yet if that area was hit in a real exchange, you would die.

The other general comment I would make is that I didn't see any attempt at moving past the arc of the blade and clinching and throwing your opponent...something else that can be seen in many kata, as well as Western manuals.

My two cents.

--Chris

#414171 - 01/11/09 06:47 PM Re: Shinai free fighting, fencing, kendo... [Re: Ames]
Egoras Offline

I totally agree with you, is necessary to learn the different types of strikes. I respect very much Kendo regarding landing only deadly and proper executed blows. Fencing on the other hand can be much more subtle, because dueling was subtle. You would only require first blood to win.

The general comment: do you mean like applying some judo to your opponent? It would really be interesting to try to do something like that, I promise that if I see the chance I will try to do so . Thing is in fencing we always have in mind to "keep the distance", so I'm not used to being very close to the oponent, as for example some kendokas are.

Thanks for your answer, really nice talking to you.

#414172 - 01/12/09 05:50 PM Re: Shinai free fighting, fencing, kendo... [Re: Egoras]
pgsmith Offline

Loc: Texas
Quote:

Hey just made this video with my friends, what do you think??

I gotta agree with Charles. Looks like y'all had lots of fun, but it really has nothing to do with actual sword arts. You say that some of the people in that video actually practice fencing and kendo? If so, they are very much beginners.

Have fun, stay safe!

#414173 - 01/13/09 07:20 PM Re: Shinai free fighting, fencing, kendo... [Re: pgsmith]
Charles Mahan Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Denton, Tx, USA
It's kinda like evaluating a video of a paintball team. The paintballers could be good. They can have a lot of fun and be completely killer at paintball. They could even be a championship team, but what they do does not necessarily bear much resemblance to what a special forces unit is capable of. The weapons are different. The protection is different. The psychology of the people involved is different. The consequences of success and failure are radically different. While some similarities are inevitable, at a fundamental level there are differences.

If you had fun and nobody got hurt, well that's a good thing.

#414174 - 01/13/09 07:41 PM Re: Shinai free fighting, fencing, kendo... [Re: Egoras]
JMWcorwin Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: SoCal, USA
Quote:

I respect very much Kendo regarding landing only deadly and proper executed blows.

Well, even Kendo can sometimes put a damper on reality of proper cutting. Not all, but many Kendo schools today practice Kendo something along the lines of Olympic Style TKD or Judo. The techniques are tailored for making a point with a shinai, not killing with a live blade. Usually they have rules against striking the legs or back, which are both incredibly viable targets for a live blade. If I can get past you and cut throuh your leg on the way past or a nice slice to the spine,,, no more fight. But, mainly, I thing the point that some of the other posters are making is that the dynamics of a stick and the kind of injury it can cause are quite different from the dynamics of a properly swung blade.

Just my 2

However, I have done this very thing and just gone for it with the gear for fun & exercise. Very fun, especially if you make strikes to anywhere legal and allow for hand to hand if you get close enough. We even used to do 4 or 5 on 4 or 5 in mock battle scenarios and even used variations of 1 or 2 blades (long or short) and naginata or spear(flex foam of course. Fun stuff.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  Charles Mahan, Cord, MattJ, Reiki 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Fight Videos
Night club fight footage and street fights captured with the world's first bouncer spy cam

How to Matrix!
Learn ten times faster with new training method. Learn entire arts for as little as $10 per disk.

Self Defense
Stun guns, pepper spray, Mace and self defense products. Alarms for personal and home use.

TASER MC26C
Stop An Urban Gorilla: Get 2 FREE TASER M26C Replacement Air Cartridges With Each New TASER M26C!

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga