FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 36 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SenseiGregT, sagat, JFawkes, pluckysaga39, sgtdemeo
22911 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
AndyLA 5
Dobbersky 5
Ed_Morris 4
ergees 3
futsaowingchun 3
September
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
New Topics
2014 World Championships Chelyabinsk: The Gallery
by ergees
Yesterday at 03:51 AM
Biu Tzu- Snake hand strike
by futsaowingchun
08/27/14 09:02 PM
Chum Kiu 2nd section applications
by futsaowingchun
08/20/14 09:54 PM
2013 World Championship Rio: The Gallery (HD)
by ergees
08/19/14 05:22 AM
Chi Sao demonstration
by futsaowingchun
08/14/14 10:57 PM
Decent Fight channel
by FrankyFruits
08/07/14 09:19 PM
2014 European Championships Cadets Athens: Videos
by ergees
08/07/14 10:00 AM
Life goes on....
by Dobbersky
08/07/14 05:59 AM
An open letter to bunkai researchers...
by Bartfast
08/05/14 04:18 PM
ITF TaeKwonDo or Shotokan Karate????
by Dobbersky
07/10/14 07:14 AM
Recent Posts
2014 World Championships Chelyabinsk: The Gallery
by ergees
Yesterday at 03:51 AM
** Introduce Yourself! **
by Zombie Zero
08/29/14 10:50 PM
mindfullness meditation
by log1call
08/28/14 02:39 AM
Biu Tzu- Snake hand strike
by futsaowingchun
08/27/14 09:02 PM
An open letter to bunkai researchers...
by Ed_Morris
08/26/14 09:58 PM
The Karate punch
by Ed_Morris
08/26/14 09:27 PM
Chum Kiu 2nd section applications
by futsaowingchun
08/20/14 09:54 PM
2013 World Championship Rio: The Gallery (HD)
by ergees
08/19/14 05:22 AM
attacked from behind
by AndyLA
08/16/14 04:59 PM
ITF TaeKwonDo or Shotokan Karate????
by VDJ
08/15/14 05:46 PM
Forum Stats
22911 Members
36 Forums
35573 Topics
432484 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Topic Options
#413848 - 01/06/09 11:27 AM mindfullness meditation
student_of_life Offline
Veteran

Loc: Newfoundland, Canada
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qvXFxi2ZXT0&feature=channel_page

does anyone have any expirence with this guy or his work? r have an opinion about his stuff. i'm a long time skeptic of meditation, but this guy explains it in a way that i think i might understand.

#413849 - 03/22/09 11:49 AM Re: mindfullness meditation [Re: student_of_life]
KompressorX Offline

John Cabat-Zin, not so much but with the principles and practise of meditation some experience, yes.

It is a real pity this aspect of training in the martial arts has largely disappeared. Training the mind is fundamental, after all that is where our actions come from. Based on good morals, kindness, patience, seeing things clearly, calmness, a martial art can truly thrive as a mind and body unity capable of great benefits to ourselves and those around us.

With the mind aspect neglected or misused MA can becaome something quite awful, or at best just a sport or exercise.

#413850 - 03/22/09 01:46 PM Re: mindfullness meditation [Re: student_of_life]
Ames Offline
Veteran

I have no direct personal experience with him, but I have read his books "Full Catastrophe Living" and "Wherever You Go, There You Are". Zinn has been pretty instrumental in the recent 'medical meditation' movement, and as such he is able to put mindfulness meditation into an easily understood language for Westerners. As well, he draws upon cognitive science to explain how the brain changes due to meditation. The meditation comes from the Buddhist tradition, but is non-sectarian, and not really 'religious practice' in any way.

As for your past skepticism, I think as far as mindfulness meditation is concerned it's pretty hard to deny the positive benefits in light of recent research. The works by Zinn will help explain all that better than I can.

I will say that for me mindfulness meditation has helped immensely. On the m.a. side of things, it has certainly helped me focus, have less tension in my body (so I'm more fluid than I was before), as well as having MUCH better breath control (and with that more stamina). On the non-m.a. side of things, it has helped me quit smoking, improve my focus for school and life in general and generally be a calmer person. Sometimes I practice for an hour or two a day, but usual it's only ten minutes in the morning and 5 or 10 before bed.

--Chris

#413851 - 03/23/09 10:26 AM Re: mindfullness meditation [Re: Ames]
KompressorX Offline

Another aspect of mindfulness that most of us know about (apologies if I patronise) is full concentration on each technique, tenseness and relaxation in the ody during a movement, full focus on the sensations of a movement, direction of energies, etc. Especially slowing things right down can be a great revealer of technique and a great teacher of correct technique and movement. All mindfulness of the body.

#427398 - 05/27/10 12:14 AM Re: mindfullness meditation [Re: KompressorX]
EsotericEnergy Offline
Stranger

I totally agree with KompressorX you are right.

This is my opinion, I am no better than anyone else smile

If you are constantly training hard style martial arts and not learning to relax down then you are going to be unbalanced, depending on how aggressively you train and your nature you will find that it affects everything in your life.

Your outer world is a direct reflection of your inner world, it seems silly to neglect the most powerful part of yourself.

Not only does the right kind of meditation benefit everything you do, it also allows your fighting skill to develop, you will develop sensitivities to your opponents energy, become faster, open up your intuition and your already existing psychic perceptions.

Most people see one topic like this with the world psychic and immediately shut off to it, their skepticism is not about the psychic/chi/whatever else it is about themselves.

If you actually take the time to "be" without any interruption from your conscious mind or outside influence or preconceived notions then you will most likely realize that. And if you continue you will realize yourself.

Hard style training in my eyes is yang training, yang energy repels, you will be repelling to everything you deserve in life if you can't balance yourself. Yin energy attracts it feels good.

When you are attracting you can't help but feel good and you find it easy to control yourself and be sensitive to energy instead of being so dulled from having too much yang energy.

Mindfulness in a way is sensitivity to what is around you, develop that don't neglect it.

IF you are interested in a very unique, powerful and scientific approach to meditation and energy cultivation send me a pm.

You will learn to develop your actual nerve fibers which will make you so much more sensitive to energy, along with that you cultivate chi energy in the same way that subatomic particles flow. You will progress at a much faster rate and your results will make you feel great smile

BTW I do not teach it, I have had some experience with it though and my life has never been the same. smile

Have a rad day, Peace and happy training.

Peace smile

#436325 - 08/28/14 02:39 AM Re: mindfullness meditation [Re: student_of_life]
log1call Offline
Stranger

I'm a bullsh*t artist.

Moderator:  Cord, MattJ, Reiki 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Ryukyu Art
Artifacts from the Ryukyu Kingdom missing since WWII. Visit www.ShisaLion.Org to view pictures

Best Stun Guns
Self Defense Products-stun guns, pepper spray, tasers and more

Surveillance 4U
Complete surveillance systems for covert operations or secure installation security

Asylum Images
Book presents photo tour of the Trans-Allegany Lunatic Asylum. A must if you're going to take a ghost tour!

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga