FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 36 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
TomRosenberg, jessylin, play, Keith_G, LeroyCFischer
22937 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
jwwmantis 2
futsaowingchun 1
Zombie Zero 1
Beefcake 1
LeroyCFischer 1
December
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30 31
New Topics
Freeing Hand-Wing Chun's last movements
by futsaowingchun
12/17/14 09:40 PM
2015 Master Yang Jwing-Ming Seminar
by jwwmantis
12/05/14 10:36 PM
The Beginners Guide To Stretching
by
12/27/06 11:43 AM
Your true goal
by
03/03/06 07:16 AM
Recent Posts
Freeing Hand-Wing Chun's last movements
by futsaowingchun
12/17/14 09:40 PM
Your true goal
by Beefcake
12/11/14 02:44 AM
The Beginners Guide To Stretching
by LeroyCFischer
12/04/14 02:07 AM
Forum Stats
22937 Members
36 Forums
35591 Topics
432526 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#413599 - 01/03/09 06:05 PM 7 year old and judo
globetrotter Offline
does unto others before they do unto him

Loc: ny usa
I am thinking about getting my son into judo. I practiced judo when I was about 14 for a year, since then I have been involved in striking arts. I don't think that they teach kids striking arts very well, so I am thinking that judo might be a good thing for him.

anybody have any opinions on kids and judo? espectially kids that young?

thanks

#413600 - 01/03/09 07:51 PM Re: 7 year old and judo [Re: globetrotter]
Ames Offline
Veteran

I pretty much agree with the striking arts thing. Most dojo's don't teach kids how to strike very well, because the kids don't spar (rightly so).

From what I have read, Judo is safe for a child--provided, as always--that the instructor is competent. Personally, I'll most likely be signing my kid up for Judo when she is old enough. My only caveat with Judo for kids is that if you want them to learn good self defense skill, make sure that the dojo will also be teaching them that--some are totally competition focused.

--Chris

#413601 - 01/03/09 08:45 PM Re: 7 year old and judo [Re: globetrotter]
Ronin1966 Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: East Coast, United States
Hello Globetrotter:

With a bad instructor, someone who is unbalanced in some manner, a jerk, a nasty person, drugs, alcohol, an evil moron, whatever the particular flaw-fault...

If your son/daughter does not jibe with that teacher, their particular approach the experience will not be "long term". Provided whatever their approach might be, gels with your childs temperment.... you get a proverbial green light.

7, 5 Wushu, Judo, Kara-te all can be wonderful. If the teacher is bad no matter what the art, the experience (looking back) will not be ideal. Judo, great, kids love to grab, wrestle, throw-trip. Fundamentally its about balance and the minimum strength. Taught with consideration of the art... not merely ~winning the contest~, it should be a good experience.

Like Judo as their first art. But dance is good too. Gymnastics, there are many wonderful activities for the young. Depends on whos' approach that you love the most.

Jeff

#413602 - 01/04/09 01:30 AM Re: 7 year old and judo [Re: Ronin1966]
globetrotter Offline

thanks - my son has been in wrestling for 2 years, starting at 5, and I think that it has been great for him. his wrestling club might end next year, and I have been looking for an alternative, that's why I thought of judo.

frankly, what I am looking for is something that will make him a little tougher - that may not be the most PC thing to say, but kids don't really fight anymore, and I think that he needs to have a little more contact and roughness in his life, for his long term good. I am not looking to make him a proffetional fighter, I am just looking to make him understand that he has to sometimes do things that aren't easy or pleasant - the rest of his life is easy and fun, for 2 hours a week he can work hard.

TKD for kids is a joke - I honestly don't think that he even realizes that it is a martial art - that the object of his movement would be to strike something.

anyway, those are my thoughts. thanks for your advice.

#413603 - 01/04/09 01:10 PM Re: 7 year old and judo [Re: globetrotter]
fileboy2002 Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Chicago, IL
In my opinion, 7 is usually too young. Too many dojos today are overrun with near-toddlers who lack the maturity, concentration, and (in some caes) physical coordination to get much out of MA instruction. Too many MA schools have been turned into de facto baby-sitting services.

Enrolling a 7 year old only makes sense if he or she is going to get a lot of individual attention in small classes. This is why starting kids off very young worked in state-sponsored sports programs in the former Soviet Union. That, and the fact the kids were carefully screened to weed out all but the best and brightest.

#413604 - 01/04/09 02:37 PM Re: 7 year old and judo [Re: globetrotter]
spartancs Offline

Quote:

thanks - my son has been in wrestling for 2 years, starting at 5, and I think that it has been great for him. his wrestling club might end next year, and I have been looking for an alternative, that's why I thought of judo.

frankly, what I am looking for is something that will make him a little tougher - that may not be the most PC thing to say, but kids don't really fight anymore, and I think that he needs to have a little more contact and roughness in his life, for his long term good. I am not looking to make him a proffetional fighter, I am just looking to make him understand that he has to sometimes do things that aren't easy or pleasant - the rest of his life is easy and fun, for 2 hours a week he can work hard.

TKD for kids is a joke - I honestly don't think that he even realizes that it is a martial art - that the object of his movement would be to strike something.

anyway, those are my thoughts. thanks for your advice.

Hey Globetrotter,

7 should be no problem for Judo. My sons started at age 5 with the entry criteria dertermined by attention span and neck strength. One of the great things about Judo is most clubs seem to spend more time on breakfalls than other grappling arts ( wrestling, bjj.. ) which is really good for kids since knowing how to fall without getting hurt is a great skill for kids to have(trips, bikes, skateboards..)

Given your objectives though I would suggest a club that at least teaches BJJ & Judo. Most Judo clubs require a lot of breakfall training before the kids can start doing throws, if they do BJJ as well then it will probably be more fun for him. One to two months of breakfall training can make practice motivation difficult.

If you really want to do your kid a favor and expose him to a well rounded game, mix a little Boxing or Muay Thai in and have him train at least 3 times a week.

I agree with you about TKD/Karate, get him in boxing or MT for striking. I'm attaching a video clip of my youngest just after his 8th birthday. At this point he had about 2years of Judo, 3yrs of Karate, 1yr of Muay Thai and 1yr of BJJ. The 3yrs of Karate was mostly a waste of time.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=85vMsJtxk4w

He's not a superstar or anything but he's getting a well rounded game, he like the training and the competition helps keep him motivated.

If you have MMA gyms in your area check them out, some have very good programs for kids and the variety of technique make it more fun for them since they aren't doing the same thing every day.

Good luck!

#413605 - 01/04/09 06:20 PM Re: 7 year old and judo [Re: spartancs]
globetrotter Offline

thanks - yeah, next year I can get him in boxing here, which is what I really want, and that we can do together. there's noplace around me that does MT or MMA for kids.

I actually found a judo place very near me that has mixed kid adult classes, and I am going to go check them out. I might go back myself to do it with him. I practice krav maga, but I may go back to judo once or twice a week to have a father/son experience

thanks

#413606 - 01/04/09 08:11 PM Re: 7 year old and judo [Re: globetrotter]
spartancs Offline

Quote:

thanks - yeah, next year I can get him in boxing here, which is what I really want, and that we can do together. there's noplace around me that does MT or MMA for kids.

I actually found a judo place very near me that has mixed kid adult classes, and I am going to go check them out. I might go back myself to do it with him. I practice krav maga, but I may go back to judo once or twice a week to have a father/son experience

thanks

Cool. I'm attaching a nice example of why my kids like Judo+BJJ. In the video below the match would have been over in a Judo tournament with the first big throw. Since it was a BJJ tournament both kids got to fight to the submission the kid who wins in my oldest son. Enjoy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9gKRYeL10ko

#413607 - 01/05/09 07:07 AM Re: 7 year old and judo [Re: spartancs]
trevek Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Poland
I started Judo at 7 and my sisters kids did too. They took to it like fishes to water. Kids enjoy rolling around and I think Judo is extremely suitable due to the sporting aspect and the history of it both as an educational sport and as being well supervised.

Supporting everyone saying "nuts to cancer"

#413608 - 01/05/09 01:46 PM Re: 7 year old and judo [Re: trevek]
globetrotter Offline

cool, thanks all.

I am going to look at a school tonight, any tips what to look for in a judo dojo?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Ames, Cord, Fletch1, MattJ, Reiki, Taison 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Self Defense
Offering stun guns, pepper spray, tasers and other self defense products not available in stores.

Pepper Spray
Online distributor of self defense supplies like videos, stun guns, Tasers and more.

Spy Cameras
Surveillance, Hidden Cameras, Nanny Cams, Digital Recorders, Spy Equipment, Pocket DVR's and more

Stun Gun
Wholesale Directlhy to the Public! Stun gun and Taser Guns and personal protection products. Keep your loved ones at home safe!

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga