FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 34 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
LeroyCFischer, JadeKing, Beefcake, WesJones, simonajones111
22933 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
charlie 2
futsaowingchun 2
Zombie Zero 1
harlan 1
William_Bent 1
November
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
New Topics
unrecognized kata
by William_Bent
11/19/14 07:05 PM
I gained a lot of month in the last few months
by simonajones111
11/19/14 04:54 AM
Siu Lin Tao-3rd section applications
by futsaowingchun
11/13/14 06:48 PM
Screen fighting course UK December 2014
by charlie
11/11/14 04:09 PM
Siu Lin Tao-1st section Pak Sao explanations
by futsaowingchun
11/09/14 10:30 PM
Where Are They Now?
by Dobbersky
05/30/13 08:08 AM
MA style video library
by
03/22/06 03:18 PM
Recent Posts
unrecognized kata
by William_Bent
11/19/14 07:05 PM
I gained a lot of month in the last few months
by simonajones111
11/19/14 04:54 AM
Siu Lin Tao-3rd section applications
by futsaowingchun
11/13/14 06:48 PM
Screen fighting course UK December 2014
by charlie
11/11/14 04:09 PM
MA style video library
by charlie
11/11/14 04:05 PM
Siu Lin Tao-1st section Pak Sao explanations
by futsaowingchun
11/09/14 10:30 PM
Forum Stats
22933 Members
36 Forums
35589 Topics
432521 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#413274 - 12/27/08 05:07 PM Re: My training paid off [Re: Ames]
screamingflea Offline
Dont call me babe

Loc: USA
Personally I think the psychic and psychological are closely intertwined and equally valid. Have you ever been in the company of a stranger who was highly emotional, even if they didn't show it outwardly? You can feel it on some level.

Riding mass transit is a great example. You're thrown in at random with a bunch of people and it's a great way to gauge your intuition. Many's the time I've taken a seat and found that something was uncomfortable, almost like Kenobi's "disturbance in the force." A quick look around will find someone who's clearly under the influence of God Knows What. This obviously affects my own psychological state as I no longer feel entirely safe, and I start monitoring the situation - is he dangerous? What if he zeroes in on me, or someone else? What's he on anyway, and how would that impact his own mental state? And of course if my monitoring penetrates his daydream, how will he feel about being sized up? It's a mutual feedback loop on both psychological and intuitive levels.

Gavin de Becker wrote about this in his book "The Gift of Fear." He emphasizes the importance of intuition as an early warning sign. In many cases victims of violent crime mention after the fact that something seemed *wrong* about the perpetrator. Sadly, we're taught to devalue intuition, and the results can sometimes be tragic.

#413275 - 01/30/09 03:28 PM Re: My training paid off [Re: screamingflea]
stac3y Offline

Quote:

Gavin de Becker wrote about this in his book "The Gift of Fear." He emphasizes the importance of intuition as an early warning sign. In many cases victims of violent crime mention after the fact that something seemed *wrong* about the perpetrator. Sadly, we're taught to devalue intuition, and the results can sometimes be tragic.

I find this very interesting (which is why I'm responding to this well-aged post.) One of the things I've tried to teach my kids, in order to help them stay safe, is that if someone--anyone--gives them the "creeps," to get the H-E-double hockey sticks away from that person.

I think that most people are capable of tuning in to others and can tell when someone is off kilter, but so many parents teach their kids non-intuitive ways of differentiating between safe and unsafe people and situations that it blunts their instincts for self-preservation. An example: "Give Uncle Herbert a hug, Tommy! He's your uncle--it would be rude not to!" which many parents will tell a child even if Tommy has expressed that this relative makes his skin crawl.

I think people who sense that someone who appears innocuous is a potential danger do so by observing nonverbal cues that are beneath the level of conscious thought--not that there's anything magical about it. Cues might include posture, mannerisms, gestures, muscle tension, even odor. Hmmm...better stop here, my BA in interpersonal communication theory is kicking in! Don't want to bore you guys TOO much.

PS--'Flea, congratulations on a lovely handling of a yucky situation!

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Ames, Cord, MattJ, McSensei, Reiki 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Fight Videos
Night club fight footage and street fights captured with the world's first bouncer spy cam

How to Matrix!
Learn ten times faster with new training method. Learn entire arts for as little as $10 per disk.

Self Defense
Stun guns, pepper spray, Mace and self defense products. Alarms for personal and home use.

TASER MC26C
Stop An Urban Gorilla: Get 2 FREE TASER M26C Replacement Air Cartridges With Each New TASER M26C!

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga