FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 73 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
ksusanc, kellypnik123, leyinn, Ron_Cooley, businns
22902 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Dobbersky 12
cxt 7
trevek 6
JKogas 5
TaekwonDoFan 2
July
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30 31
New Topics
centerline concepts
by futsaowingchun
07/14/14 10:49 PM
language of syllabus
by trevek
07/11/14 03:36 PM
ITF TaeKwonDo or Shotokan Karate????
by Dobbersky
07/10/14 07:14 AM
10 San Sik drills-Wing Chun's foundation
by futsaowingchun
06/30/14 11:20 AM
"Ip Man" and "Ip Man 2" the movies.
by TaekwonDoFan
06/30/14 11:02 AM
Iaido movements speed
by TooNice
04/14/14 01:47 PM
Anderson Silva - Leg Break
by Dobbersky
12/30/13 08:32 AM
Where Are They Now?
by Dobbersky
05/30/13 08:08 AM
Gi or no Gi Grappling?
by Prizewriter
04/16/12 02:48 PM
MMA - A passing Fad
by Dobbersky
04/12/12 11:16 AM
Recent Posts
ITF TaeKwonDo or Shotokan Karate????
by cxt
Today at 11:35 AM
centerline concepts
by Dobbersky
07/18/14 06:14 AM
language of syllabus
by trevek
07/14/14 04:50 PM
Gi or no Gi Grappling?
by Dobbersky
07/10/14 07:38 AM
MMA - A passing Fad
by Dobbersky
07/10/14 07:35 AM
Anderson Silva - Leg Break
by Dobbersky
07/09/14 06:13 AM
Throwing
by JKogas
07/03/14 07:40 PM
10 San Sik drills-Wing Chun's foundation
by futsaowingchun
06/30/14 11:20 AM
"Ip Man" and "Ip Man 2" the movies.
by TaekwonDoFan
06/30/14 11:02 AM
Forget all that health stuff
by TaekwonDoFan
06/29/14 03:18 AM
Forum Stats
22902 Members
36 Forums
35563 Topics
432450 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#413073 - 01/28/09 10:28 AM Re: Lung recovery due to smoking [Re: Cord]
TheCrab Offline
Scum

Loc: QLD Australia
I find it pretty easy to justify in terms of risk.
after you get past the fact that its illegal (what isnt) and the "its bad for you" bullcrap, just make a decision.

There are no decent studies on Marijuana in terms of cancer risk, so you might as well not think about that. There IS a slight addiction to it, but if you have any sort of willpower it shouldn't be a problem. Theres no hangover, you dont feel sick or violent( if anything you feel horny), and you dont act like a total anal F*cker while your high.

So yeah. For me that justifies saving 80 bucks on a carton of Woodstock, and spending 20 dollars on what equals up to a funner calmer night out where I dont end up bashing someone because I had a few too many drinks.

I'm not doing a sales job on anyone, just posting my opinion. If your an excessive or addictive person, then maybe it isnt for you, but then again, what is?

#413074 - 01/28/09 11:09 AM Re: Lung recovery due to smoking [Re: TheCrab]
Cord Offline
Prolific

Loc: Cambridge UK.
Quote:

I find it pretty easy to justify in terms of risk.
after you get past the fact that its illegal (what isnt)

Legal stuff. Cannabis is being uprgraded in the UK from class C to class B, having been temporarily downgraded.
It doesnt matter if you agree with it or not, get a conviction for drugs, and it will be a bigger deal for employers than you. Saying 'well, its just a bit of draw isnt it? ' in a job interview will not endear you.

Quote:

and the "its bad for you" bullcrap, just make a decision.

There are no decent studies on Marijuana in terms of cancer risk, so you might as well not think about that.

Care to give me a link to all the studies you analyzed and the reasons you decided they were of no value? .... Or did you just hear someone say this over a bong onr night and decided to accept it as truth to justify your choice

Quote:

There IS a slight addiction to it, but if you have any sort of willpower it shouldn't be a problem.

Addiction is a personal thing, and in long term heavy use, the addiction can be a very strong psychological need, as the brain recognises the altered brain chemistry as the 'norm' and will seek that familiarity.

Quote:

Theres no hangover

You either smoke weak-a$$ weed, or are a total tourist
THC remains active in the body and traceable for up to 8 weeks after ingestion/inhalation. One of the genuine practical issues over hash use is the residual effect on people driving or operating machinery in the days after usage.

Quote:

you dont feel sick

Tell that to anyone who has had a 'white-out'

Quote:

or violent( if anything you feel horny)

Again, everyone is different. I have never heard of anyone getting violent when stoned, common effects are giggles, hunger, loss of coordination, impaired thought process

Quote:

and you dont act like a total anal F*cker while your high.

Get real! You dont know how irritating a cained person is to a 'straight' person. If you are all smoking it, then you dont irritate each other because you are all equally as monged out, or pretentious or as much a giggling wreck, as each other.

Quote:

So yeah. For me that justifies saving 80 bucks on a carton of Woodstock, and spending 20 dollars on what equals up to a funner calmer night out where I dont end up bashing someone because I had a few too many drinks.

Ever consider not doing any of it, or learning to handle you beer you f*cking lightweight

Quote:

I'm not doing a sales job on anyone, just posting my opinion.

Come back when its informed. Oh hang on, its you Crabbie, it could take a while

Quote:

If your an excessive or addictive person, then maybe it isnt for you, but then again, what is?

A clean and decent life, that does not involve self harm to escape misery is something for all to aspire to.

If you cant cope with reality, then you will find your own way to soften its edges, but there is a price for every pleasure.

#413075 - 01/28/09 12:36 PM Re: Lung recovery due to smoking [Re: Cord]
McSensei Offline
Veteran

Loc: Kent, England
Hmmm. Do I.........or don't I????

Feck it, here goes.

MattJ wrote..

"Dude, you don't even want to start with me on this. Alcohol in low amounts is not harmful. Smoke, in any amount - from any source, IS harmful."

Just.......wrong!

The original study by Richard Doll and Austin Bradford-Hill showed that there is a dose response relationship between numbers smoked and lung cancer.

That means that the fewer you smoke the less the risk involved.
It is the same with all substances.

The first tenet of toxicology is the dose makes the poison.

"Evidence based? How much evidence do you need? This is common sense."

Lol. That's the attitude that led to thousands of women being burnt at the stake for witchcraft.
What enlightening times we live in.

Now we've got that out of the way I would suggest to the OP that if you want to carry on with the Mary-Jane, buy a vapouriser.

Cord,

I believe that Bob Marleys lung cancer was secondry to liver cancer, but I'll have to hunt down the reference.

#413076 - 01/28/09 03:03 PM Re: Lung recovery due to smoking [Re: McSensei]
MattJ Offline
Free Rhinoplasty!
Prolific

Loc: York PA. USA
Quote:

That means that the fewer you smoke the less the risk involved.
It is the same with all substances.

How am I wrong when you are agreeing with me? No smoking = least risk of cancer from smoking. That's what I said. And we have been over the substances thing before in the previous thread. You cannot compare smoking to anything necessary for life or even harmful products of otherwise benign substances or processes. You don't have the freedom to murder anyone, either. Grow up and deal with it, apologist. Reeling from the irony of the martial artist defending a habit that ruins health and life.

#413077 - 01/28/09 03:58 PM Re: Lung recovery due to smoking [Re: MattJ]
McSensei Offline
Veteran

Loc: Kent, England
Matt,

You are wrong to say that smoke in any amount is harmful, which IS what you said. All I'm saying is that if you were to smoke 1 or 2 cig/spliff/whatever a day then there is no significant risk to health. Certainly none that can be measured anyway.

"You don't have the freedom to murder anyone, either."

I'm sure that if I had murdered anyone then I wouldn't be on these boards having this discussion.
What a stupid thing to say.

"Grow up and deal with it, apologist."

HA! Name calling. The last refuge of the desperate.

Smoking is probably harmful to some people depending on many factors, including the amount smoked.
This much I will agree on.

However, you do yourself no favours at all by exaggerating the argument.

#413078 - 01/28/09 04:52 PM Re: Lung recovery due to smoking [Re: McSensei]
MattJ Offline
Free Rhinoplasty!
Prolific

Loc: York PA. USA
Quote:

You are wrong to say that smoke in any amount is harmful, which IS what you said.

I'm not wrong - you are arguing semantics about the DEGREE of harm.

Quote:

All I'm saying is that if you were to smoke 1 or 2 cig/spliff/whatever a day then there is no significant risk to health. Certainly none that can be measured anyway.

So pathetically inaccurate that I can't be bothered to go out of my way to disprove this......again. See the previous thread......again.

Quote:

HA! Name calling. The last refuge of the desperate.

Quote:

What a stupid thing to say.

Hmm.....you were saying? LOL

#413079 - 01/28/09 08:10 PM Re: Lung recovery due to smoking [Re: MattJ]
Ames Offline
Veteran

Quote:

All I'm saying is that if you were to smoke 1 or 2 cig/spliff/whatever a day then there is no significant risk to health. Certainly none that can be measured anyway.

Wrong. One or two cigarettes a day does pose a health risk, and has been studied. From an article in the Independent (http://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/health-and-wellbeing/health-news/just-one-cigarette-a-day-can-treble-risk-of-fatal-ilnesses-507818.html)

Quote:

Overall, light smokers had a 50 per cent higher risk of dying from any cause than non-smokers and the risk rose with the number of cigarettes smoked.

--Chris

#413080 - 01/28/09 09:24 PM Re: Lung recovery due to smoking [Re: Ames]
Triddle Offline

Loc: Australia
Just a couple of links with regards to marijuana and cancer, and Cord, I'm fairly certain that Bob Marley's lung cancer was secondary.

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2007/04/070417193338.htm

http://www.smh.com.au/news/world/marijua...0400366837.html

I've never heard of any evidence that marijuana causes any form of cancer, and I have seen substantial evidence that it protects against it. These two links are just the first things that turned up upon googling 'marijuana, cancer' I'm sure more could easily be found. I read a very interesting piece on it a year or so ago but I'm not sure where it can be found.

I haven't looked too extensively into this, but I did some study into cannabinols (focusing primarily on THC) for organic chemistry last year and all the evidence I found suggested that at worst it is non-carcinogenic and at best it is an anticarcinongen.

In general I found that THCs health effects are extremely mild (and I'm a person who won't take panadol if I've drank alcohol in order to avoid liver damage...) BUT there is the risk of physchosis, something I'd personally rather avoid, especially after my friend experienced it.

For the record my studys weren't focused on health effects, but I came across a lot of information on it along the way and looked into it.

#413081 - 01/28/09 10:25 PM Re: Lung recovery due to smoking [Re: Triddle]
Cord Offline
Prolific

Loc: Cambridge UK.
We are talking in direct relation to lung damage through smoking. The fact that THC may have some anti-cancer properties does not mean that the safe medical way to administer it is through inhalation. Please notice that the study was injecting rats with pure THC- that is wildly different to giving them a blow-back

Now, using cannabis in cooking, you negate the lung issue altogether, but as you point out, this still leaves the potential for negative impact on brain chemistry. I never suffered anything beyond short term paranoia, and an overwhelming sense of lethargy. Part of the attraction of the effects is that they encourage dissasociative tendencies- not like ketamine, but in the sense that, if you have important real life stuff to do (work, shopping, paying bills etc), you are much more likely to rationalise such things as low priority until you straighten out. If you are a habitual user, this can lead to things getting out of control. This in turn can lead you to use more heavily so that the problems seem less important....a vicious circle.

Like i said, I am not 'pro' or 'anti' cannabis. I am someone who used heavily, enjoyed it thoroughly, but came out the other side deciding that, all things considered, I have a better more positive life without it.

Everything in life has positives and negatives, and just as you should view the old film 'reefer madness' with a pinch of salt, so to, should you treat those who claim cannabis is an entirely benevolent and life enhancing substance.

The answer lies somewhere in the middle, and will be dependant on individual physical, mental, and social circumstances.

#413082 - 01/28/09 10:32 PM Re: Lung recovery due to smoking [Re: Cord]
TheCrab Offline
Scum

Loc: QLD Australia
Quote:

get a conviction for drugs, and it will be a bigger deal for employers than you.

I was avoiding legal aspects in the post, but yeah thats true. Then again any criminal record stops you from getting most jobs here, from littering to murder. If your sensible about it you cant get caught.

Quote:

Or did you just hear someone say this over a bong onr night and decided to accept it as truth to justify your choice

well just from googling it then. "184 cannabis related deaths in Australia for the five years 1997-2001" the smoking deaths were among the thousands, and none of the marijuana deaths were of cancer.

Quote:

Addiction is a personal thing, and in long term heavy use, the addiction can be a very strong psychological need

but as I said, it may not be for addictive people. Alcohol is addictive, but if you go about it sensibly then you can keep it at a few drinks a night or a lot on the weekend and still be fine, I dont see why this is different. It just takes some common sense and willpower.

Quote:

ou either smoke weak-a$$ weed, or are a total tourist
THC remains active in the body and traceable for up to 8 weeks after ingestion/inhalation. One of the genuine practical issues over hash use is the residual effect on people driving or operating machinery in the days after usage.

Theres no hangover though ive never felt bad the morning after. That is a good point about the machinery, but thats not what I meant. just chalk that up to the risks side of it.

Quote:

Get real! You dont know how irritating a cained person is to a 'straight' person. If you are all smoking it, then you dont irritate each other because you are all equally as monged out, or pretentious or as much a giggling wreck, as each other.

You might come across as slightly annoying, but ive never been started by someone who was high. Its definitely a calmer drug, if you will, than alcohol, pingers, speed, anything.

Quote:

Ever consider not doing any of it, or learning to handle you beer you f*cking lightweight

No I havnt being sober when everyones not sucks balls, so I avoid it. Mind you im not very good at handling booze these days because I only do it very occasionally, which for me is a good thing. (woodstocks bourbon by the way)

Quote:

A clean and decent life, that does not involve self harm to escape misery is something for all to aspire to.

Id mark that as out of reach for most people under 25 here

Quote:

If you cant cope with reality, then you will find your own way to soften its edges, but there is a price for every pleasure.

Theres a lot of prices for some other pleasures. go figure

Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Cord, MattJ, Reiki 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Fight Videos
Night club fight footage and street fights captured with the world's first bouncer spy cam

How to Matrix!
Learn ten times faster with new training method. Learn entire arts for as little as $10 per disk.

Self Defense
Stun guns, pepper spray, Mace and self defense products. Alarms for personal and home use.

TASER MC26C
Stop An Urban Gorilla: Get 2 FREE TASER M26C Replacement Air Cartridges With Each New TASER M26C!

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga