FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 70 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Shanktotheright, royal, bobgalle100011, agenonline, TooNice
22862 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
THEFOREVERMAN 3
MattJ 2
royal 2
Dobbersky 2
ergees 1
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30
New Topics
Judo Olympic Games 1964 Tokyo, The Video Gallery
by ergees
04/01/14 05:26 AM
Muay Thai Seminar with Greg Nelson - Marcus Charle
by Marcus Charles
03/24/14 04:39 PM
Fighting On Saturday!!!
by Dobbersky
03/20/14 05:45 AM
Where Are They Now?
by Dobbersky
05/30/13 08:08 AM
AKK kata question
by
09/04/05 01:27 PM
Recent Posts
Fighting On Saturday!!!
by THEFOREVERMAN
04/16/14 08:22 AM
Muay Thai Seminar with Greg Nelson - Marcus Charle
by THEFOREVERMAN
04/16/14 08:20 AM
AKK kata question
by MattJ
04/04/14 05:45 PM
Judo Olympic Games 1964 Tokyo, The Video Gallery
by ergees
04/01/14 05:26 AM
Forum Stats
22862 Members
36 Forums
35546 Topics
432378 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Topic Options
#412893 - 12/11/08 02:08 AM Old Irish Pressure Points? --Da Dorus X Anma
Ames Offline
Veteran

Recently I came across an interesting fact that in an Irish text, there is something that seems like pressure points called "The 12 Doorways to The Soul." (Da Dorus X Anma) I spoke to a teacher here whose subject is Old Irish, and she pointed gave me the name "Da Dorus X Anma". I haven't really had a chance to do much more research, but this is what I found on the net abou it:

“There are twelve doors of the soul (or portals of life) in the human body: (1) the top of the head, i.e. the crown or the suture, (2) the hollow of the occiput, (3) the hollow of the temple (temporal fossa), (4) the apple of the throat ('Adam's apple', thyroid cartilage), (5) the spoon of the breast (suprasternal fossa), (6) the armpit (axilla), (7) the breast-bone ('spoon of the breast') (sternum), (8) the navel (umbilicus), (9) the...of the side, (10) the bend of the elbow (antecubital fossa), (11) the hollow of the ham (popliteal fossa), i.e. from behind, (12) the bulge of the groin (femoral triangle?), i.e. the bull sinew, (13) the sole of the foot.”

[from The Judgements of Dian Cécht. trans. D. A. Binchy.]

This is interesting to me, because, more than just being areas of the body that are particularly vulnerable, the implication is that they wound 'the soul' that is held within the body. This really gets my mind thinking. This is an 8th century, Old Irish text, and here we have a description of pressure points that are meant to damage, more than just the physical body, but also, seemingly, a conception of a 'subtle body' as well. Interesting, because it also suggests that, perhaps, other non-Asian cultures also had a conception of subtle, or energetic bodies even after the rise of Christianity.

I'd be interested to know if those of you who study Asian systems of pressure points, can relate these areas that are described to the meridian system, especially it might be interesting to know what the psycho/spiritual implications of damage to these points may cause (if there is any information that goes that way).

--Chris

Edited by Ames (12/11/08 02:14 AM)

#412894 - 12/11/08 07:38 AM Re: Old Irish Pressure Points? --Da Dorus X Anma [Re: Ames]
MattJ Offline
Free Rhinoplasty!
Prolific

Loc: York PA. USA
Good find, Chris. Although some of those descriptions are a bit obtuse (hollow of the ham, LOL)!

#412895 - 12/11/08 10:47 AM Re: Old Irish Pressure Points? --Da Dorus X Anma [Re: MattJ]
underdog Offline
Veteran

Loc: Mansfield, MA U.S.A.
Interesting.

#412896 - 12/16/08 05:46 PM Re: Old Irish Pressure Points? --Da Dorus X Anma [Re: underdog]
trevek Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Poland
The Icelandic Vikings had the principle of Oond, a kind of chi-like energy.

Supporting everyone saying "nuts to cancer"

#412897 - 03/15/09 02:25 AM Re: Old Irish Pressure Points? --Da Dorus X Anma [Re: Ames]
Paulol Offline

this knowledge is not something that was passed down to us irish over the ages

pity

#412898 - 03/15/09 04:25 PM Re: Old Irish Pressure Points? --Da Dorus X Anma [Re: Paulol]
Ames Offline
Veteran

Yes, it most certainly is! If you look at some old Irish books, it's pretty clear that they had some pretty interesting martial arts back in the day (seen in books like the Tain). Too bad it was lost, I'd love to know what the "Heroic Salmon Leaping" skill was.

--Chris

#412899 - 03/18/09 08:05 AM Re: Old Irish Pressure Points? --Da Dorus X Anma [Re: Ames]
Paulol Offline

Quote:

Yes, it most certainly is! If you look at some old Irish books, it's pretty clear that they had some pretty interesting martial arts back in the day (seen in books like the Tain). Too bad it was lost, I'd love to know what the "Heroic Salmon Leaping" skill was.

--Chris

while i'm sure that the Celts had developed some forms of hand to hand and weapon combat due to the very violent times they lived in.

i would not use THE TAIN as an example

it is a folklore tale that was stuck together from parts of other stories.

i would imagine that if you actually saw "Heroic Salmon Leaping" you would not be that impressed

#412900 - 03/18/09 10:49 AM Re: Old Irish Pressure Points? --Da Dorus X Anma [Re: Paulol]
Ames Offline
Veteran

I was joking about the Salmon Leaping Skill. I know that in all liklehood the specific techniques in the Tain are made up (because it was copied after hundreds of years of being passed down orally). However, certain aspects of the book most likely do have historical correlatives, such as there being warriors who taught other warriors martial arts. Nora Chadwick's book 'The Celts' does talk a little (wish it was more) about this aspect of Celtic society.

--Chris

Moderator:  Ames, Cord, MattJ, Reiki 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Ryukyu Art
Artifacts from the Ryukyu Kingdom missing since WWII. Visit www.ShisaLion.Org to view pictures

Best Stun Guns
Self Defense Products-stun guns, pepper spray, tasers and more

Surveillance 4U
Complete surveillance systems for covert operations or secure installation security

Asylum Images
Book presents photo tour of the Trans-Allegany Lunatic Asylum. A must if you're going to take a ghost tour!

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga