FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 61 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Shanktotheright, royal, bobgalle100011, agenonline, TooNice
22862 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Dobbersky 3
THEFOREVERMAN 3
MattJ 2
Jeff_G 1
Marcus Charles 1
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30
New Topics
Judo Olympic Games 1964 Tokyo, The Video Gallery
by ergees
04/01/14 05:26 AM
Muay Thai Seminar with Greg Nelson - Marcus Charle
by Marcus Charles
03/24/14 04:39 PM
Fighting On Saturday!!!
by Dobbersky
03/20/14 05:45 AM
Where Are They Now?
by Dobbersky
05/30/13 08:08 AM
AKK kata question
by
09/04/05 01:27 PM
Recent Posts
Fighting On Saturday!!!
by THEFOREVERMAN
Today at 08:22 AM
Muay Thai Seminar with Greg Nelson - Marcus Charle
by THEFOREVERMAN
Today at 08:20 AM
AKK kata question
by MattJ
04/04/14 05:45 PM
Judo Olympic Games 1964 Tokyo, The Video Gallery
by ergees
04/01/14 05:26 AM
Forum Stats
22862 Members
36 Forums
35546 Topics
432378 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#412890 - 01/08/09 05:37 AM Re: What is Budo/Bushido? [Re: Ames]
NewJitsu Offline

Loc: Midlands, UK
Quote:

Going back to the topic NewJitsu, why do you say that Budo is about peace and love? I'm actually interested to hear different takes on it. Perhaps you could fill out your thought a bit?

--Chris

I guess I was being a little flippant when I said I interpreted 'budo' as being peace & love and all that. Although Japanese culture and history plays a part in the JJJ school where I train, it's more about technique developments than ethos. 'Budo', from my interpretation, was about respect - both for your fellow students and the art itself. I wandered into that e-budo website one day to find out more but found it very dull, I have to say. Arguments about lineage, etc etc. That's fine for some people, don;t get me wrong, but my eyes just glazed over. So I didn;t really give it much further thought. For 'bushido', however, that was much more my cup of tea. Fighting spirit, intent, commitment in a fighting / sparring situation. Bushido I apply to my MMA training, budo doesn't really come into it. But maybe that's to MMA's regret - I seem to encounter a lot of thugs and bullies in MMA. It usually doesn;t take long to get rid of them, but they watch UFC late night coming back from the pub and get the wrong impression. Anyway, I digress....

#412891 - 01/08/09 04:30 PM Re: What is Budo/Bushido? [Re: NewJitsu]
Ames Offline
Veteran

Although there is really no wrong answer here, as this is about how or if the terms affect you outside the dojo, I just thought that a little clarification might be in order.

Actually, the terms Budo/Bushido aren't all the different from each other. Donn Draeger was the one who popularized the opposition between these terms in the West, but at this point the consensus is that it is a false dichotomy. In other words, some Koryu reffered to their philosphy as 'bushido' others as 'budo'. That's why I just put a slash (/) between them.

That being said, there is difference between 'Gendai Budo' and 'Koryu Bujutsu'. Gendai Budo here refers to an art that was created after the Meiji Restoration, whereas Koryu Bujutsu, refers to those that were created before it.

So in a way your not far off the mark. Gendai Budo is kind of about self defense and personal growth, whereas Koryu Bujutsu is directly concerned with killing your enemies (although there is a large body written about personal growth via the martial arts prior to the Meiji Restoration).

Finally, Budo as a philosophy isn't all that different from Bushido. The main difference, to somewhat over simplify it, would be that, for Bushido, the aim is personal growth to make you better on the battlefield. Whereas Budo is about personal growth for the sake of living an all around better, more introspective, life.

--Chris

#412892 - 01/17/09 09:23 AM Re: What is Budo/Bushido? [Re: Ames]
Ilove2Hit Offline

Loc: Athens, Greece
thanks ames for all these informaton. so bushido is more fighting and budo is more personal and inner, right? (kind of) ..

well i think one does not always go without the other. just as training for strength and training for size. no matter for which one of them you train, the other will increase too (maybe not in the exact % but there will be an increase).

i think following the bushido, in other word achieving personal growth to make you better in the battlefield, will also affect your everyday life and the way you live ur life.

the other way around i believe following the budo and living an all around better life will also make u better/stronger/or what so ever on the battleflied.

when the inner is stronger, the outter is too.

i dont know if one of these terms affects me outide the dojo. i practice MT. the only thing is that when i am outside the dojo i see the world with different eyes since i started MA. somehow i respect others more and i dont have to prove anything some anybody anymore since i know what i can do. i also have different ways of dealing with confrontations of any kind.

since the 1st time i did MT it was something that went right into my soul rather than just something i thought it was cool or looked great or will make me kick azz or something. for me it has some invisible spirit around it.

weird huh?

actually sounds a bit stupid doesnt it..? :/

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Ames, Cord, MattJ, Reiki 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Ryukyu Art
Artifacts from the Ryukyu Kingdom missing since WWII. Visit www.ShisaLion.Org to view pictures

Best Stun Guns
Self Defense Products-stun guns, pepper spray, tasers and more

Surveillance 4U
Complete surveillance systems for covert operations or secure installation security

Asylum Images
Book presents photo tour of the Trans-Allegany Lunatic Asylum. A must if you're going to take a ghost tour!

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga