FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 45 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
AndyLA, danacohenn, ksusanc, kellypnik123, leyinn
22904 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Dobbersky 15
cxt 8
trevek 6
futsaowingchun 3
JKogas 2
August
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
New Topics
Applied center line theory
by futsaowingchun
07/28/14 08:55 AM
centerline concepts
by futsaowingchun
07/14/14 10:49 PM
language of syllabus
by trevek
07/11/14 03:36 PM
ITF TaeKwonDo or Shotokan Karate????
by Dobbersky
07/10/14 07:14 AM
Anderson Silva - Leg Break
by Dobbersky
12/30/13 08:32 AM
Where Are They Now?
by Dobbersky
05/30/13 08:08 AM
Gi or no Gi Grappling?
by Prizewriter
04/16/12 02:48 PM
MMA - A passing Fad
by Dobbersky
04/12/12 11:16 AM
Throwing
by
04/23/05 10:58 PM
Recent Posts
ITF TaeKwonDo or Shotokan Karate????
by cxt
Today at 12:01 PM
Gi or no Gi Grappling?
by Dobbersky
07/29/14 05:11 AM
Applied center line theory
by futsaowingchun
07/28/14 08:55 AM
centerline concepts
by futsaowingchun
07/28/14 08:53 AM
language of syllabus
by trevek
07/14/14 04:50 PM
MMA - A passing Fad
by Dobbersky
07/10/14 07:35 AM
Anderson Silva - Leg Break
by Dobbersky
07/09/14 06:13 AM
Throwing
by JKogas
07/03/14 07:40 PM
Forum Stats
22904 Members
36 Forums
35564 Topics
432457 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#412224 - 03/27/09 09:44 AM Re: JKD kicks [Re: JKogas]
matt_mcg Offline

For me personally, I have a decent boxing 'game'. My problem is the opposite, actually, I struggle with good timing and distance while kicking when closing on skilled opponents who are determined to stay outside. Far too many of my kicks find 'air' rather than a solid target during my limited amount of competition fighting.

That's clearly a skill gap, as when I'm sparring less experienced opponents I can usually land kicks at will.

People who want to close to punching range are doing me a favour, as that's where I'm better. Not that I'm great, but my control of timing and distance is better in close.

I agree though, that that kind of pressure from someone closing the distance and throwing punches is a good 'stress test' of technique.

#412225 - 03/27/09 05:39 PM Re: JKD kicks [Re: matt_mcg]
matxtx Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: england
I look at it as there only being one range and thats either a person is in fighting range or physical contact or they not.So theres no seperation between ground,clinch, hand, feet range or whatever.Im not going to say to myself no kicking or no this or that im just going to do whatever oppurtunity comes up as thats what its about..random choas where I take whatever oppurtunity there is to fight/fight back drawing on fundamental body movements and fitness and an aggressive mindset.

Thai type kicking I feel is better as its about kicking at punching range and in combination with knees,clinch and elbows and punching.Plus the conditioning helps as bone on bone clashing is highly likely anyway,even if no deliberate kicking is done .Also Kick Thai style further out with the shoe and it can still damage.

How about kicking on the ground from the back? We train that. And also getting up rapidly kicking or stamping from a top position during ground and pound while being the one doing the ground and pounding.Nasty.

There has to be an adaption for MMA of course.A good drill is to kick and sprawl or try to sprawl half way half way though the kick or have takedown verses kicker.The takedown guy will win mostly but its a good dilema to try to figure out how to kick in that situation,not because I will purposly kick,just because it might happen as its so random anyway.I just dont know.Plus training against a kicker is important and so training partners need to be able to kick well so may as well get as good as possible,its full cirlce.
Just my view so far in my training.

#412226 - 03/27/09 08:51 PM Re: JKD kicks [Re: matxtx]
TeK9 Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Northern California, USA
I consider what I practice JKD. I try to place an arts delivery system in its right context. I have chosen to not incorporate traditional TKD kicks as I feel that my taekwondo background has taken care of that area. the only kick I have incorporated into practice is the savate scoop kick to the groin.

Ladies and Gents, if you don't have the scoop kick in your basic self defense arsenal, your really missing out. Doesn't take a long time to learn, nor to maintain as a useful tool. So even those more developed practitioners can use it.
Vinci

#412227 - 03/30/09 06:02 PM Re: JKD kicks [Re: JKogas]
GungFuMang Offline

No doubt that most people's kicks are weak. That doesn't mean kicks are bad.

When feeling an opponent by faints, jabs and hand hovering, throwing in a side kick to the stomach or a cross-stomp to the knees, especially off beat, can be a lethal technique, at least leading to more punches if opportunity presents itself.

I actually prefer leading with a side kick or a hooking kick, while in balance because they are the longest weapons I have. Punches come in after that, depending on the opponent's reaction because they are shorter range than kicks.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Cord, JKogas, MattJ, Reiki 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Self Defense
Offering stun guns, pepper spray, tasers and other self defense products not available in stores.

Pepper Spray
Online distributor of self defense supplies like videos, stun guns, Tasers and more.

Spy Cameras
Surveillance, Hidden Cameras, Nanny Cams, Digital Recorders, Spy Equipment, Pocket DVR's and more

Stun Gun
Wholesale Directlhy to the Public! Stun gun and Taser Guns and personal protection products. Keep your loved ones at home safe!

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga