FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 31 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
TomRosenberg, jessylin, play, Keith_G, LeroyCFischer
22937 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
jwwmantis 2
William_Bent 1
simonajones111 1
futsaowingchun 1
Zombie Zero 1
December
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30 31
New Topics
Freeing Hand-Wing Chun's last movements
by futsaowingchun
12/17/14 09:40 PM
2015 Master Yang Jwing-Ming Seminar
by jwwmantis
12/05/14 10:36 PM
unrecognized kata
by William_Bent
11/19/14 07:05 PM
I gained a lot of month in the last few months
by simonajones111
11/19/14 04:54 AM
Where Are They Now?
by Dobbersky
05/30/13 08:08 AM
The Beginners Guide To Stretching
by
12/27/06 11:43 AM
Your true goal
by
03/03/06 07:16 AM
Recent Posts
Freeing Hand-Wing Chun's last movements
by futsaowingchun
12/17/14 09:40 PM
Your true goal
by Beefcake
12/11/14 02:44 AM
The Beginners Guide To Stretching
by LeroyCFischer
12/04/14 02:07 AM
unrecognized kata
by William_Bent
11/19/14 07:05 PM
I gained a lot of month in the last few months
by simonajones111
11/19/14 04:54 AM
Forum Stats
22937 Members
36 Forums
35591 Topics
432526 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#411745 - 11/14/08 05:27 PM Joint Locks
Rayson Offline

Loc: Louisiana, United States
Recently we did randori in my Jujitsu class. My sensei told me I attempt nage waza too much and should practice joint locks too. The thought of trying to catch someone's arm while they are trying to hurt me doesn't seem too practical to me. Do you think wrist/elbow locks are practical for self defense?

#411746 - 11/14/08 06:36 PM Re: Joint Locks [Re: Rayson]
janxspirit Offline

Quote:

Recently we did randori in my Jujitsu class. My sensei told me I attempt nage waza too much and should practice joint locks too. The thought of trying to catch someone's arm while they are trying to hurt me doesn't seem too practical to me. Do you think wrist/elbow locks are practical for self defense?

Grabbing someone's arm isn't so hard - the better you get at the clinch the better you are grabbing someone's arm.

Joint locks work better when performed on the ground: Position before submission.

#411747 - 11/15/08 12:38 PM Re: Joint Locks [Re: Rayson]
Supremor Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: UK
Quote:

Do you think wrist/elbow locks are practical for self defense?

It depends. I hate to try locks while standing, because I don't think you have enough control over your opponent's body to finish it. However, you can use joint locks to take your opponent to the ground where you can finish the lock or transition into a dominant position. An easy example is Waki-gatame, where you get the lock first then use it to drag your opponent to the ground. From there you can keep applying the lock, or take the back.

Standing locks do work sometimes, but in my opinion their rate of success is not high enough for you to consider them a go-to tactic. Better to throw your opponent or hit him, then worry about submissions when your in newaza.

#411748 - 11/17/08 10:08 AM Re: Joint Locks [Re: Supremor]
BulldogTKD Offline

Standing joint locks work great but you should remember that joint locks are only temporary. If you apply a joint lock while standing use it to cause pain and to break the balance of you opponent. Then transition into a sweep or throw.

#411749 - 11/17/08 12:30 PM Re: Joint Locks [Re: BulldogTKD]
everyone Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: USA
Catching an incoming strike is not easy. It has to be a commited attack, not a jab. There are tricks to timing and reading your opponents telegraphs.

Make sure to move so you are not in the path of the strike should you miss the grab. Try to make contact with their arm as close to their body as possible. The closer it is to their core, the slower and smaller the movement (you probably will not be able to catch their wrist). Once you make contact, file the strike off course as you slide your hand into place for the joint lock.

Another method is to avoid the strike and follow your opponents arm as it retreats. This is a good method because you are not having to worry about a blow coming in when attempting the joint lock. Also, the opponents arm will be slowing to a stop as he retreats it. Be careful of his other arm however.

Do not worry too much about the effectiveness at this point in your training. You are learning body structure and gross movements. Those joint locks that seem impractical now will be more refined and several applications will be reveiled to you with practice and experience.

#411750 - 11/17/08 03:24 PM Re: Joint Locks [Re: everyone]
Ames Offline
Veteran

In order for standing jointlocks to work against a punch, your opponent has to be of MUCH lesser skill than you, and not a very good striker. Catching the punch of a well trained striker is unlikely.

--Chris

#411751 - 11/17/08 06:42 PM Re: Joint Locks [Re: Ames]
BulldogTKD Offline

Quote:

In order for standing jointlocks to work against a punch, your opponent has to be of MUCH lesser skill than you, and not a very good striker. Catching the punch of a well trained striker is unlikely.

--Chris

How about not waiting to be attacked? Who says I have to stand there and let someone swing first! Grab a hand or arm first. Then do your thang.

#411752 - 11/17/08 07:08 PM Re: Joint Locks [Re: BulldogTKD]
Supremor Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: UK
Quote:

How about not waiting to be attacked? Who says I have to stand there and let someone swing first! Grab a hand or arm first. Then do your thang.

A nice idea, but in my experience it is not the best strategy. When I am trying to grapple with someone striking me, I don't want to waste my time with arms and hands, because they don't give me sufficient control of the attacker's body. Instead, I want to clinch up with him straight away, and either drop for a single/double leg or work a body lock into a throw. Those are my two goals as soon as I enter grappling range, because they offer the most safety from getting hit, and the most control over your opponent.

Grabbing arms works if you are extremely quick and the opponent is caught completely unaware, but in grappling I have hardly ever seen one work- what I have seen is guys reaching for arms and getting thrown with seoi-nages or harai-goshis. And what if you don't manage to grab the arm because the guy has decent boxing skills? You will get hit and you will be at such a range that the strikes hurt. Instead, by controlling the body you are making yourself safe, and immediately imposing a grappling match on your opponent, whether he likes it or not.

Of course, I have seen standing arm locks work, but not with a high percentage. The question is what you want to use in self defense, a high percentage move, or a low percentage one. I know where my preference lies!

#411753 - 11/18/08 04:12 AM Re: Joint Locks [Re: BulldogTKD]
NewJitsu Offline

Loc: Midlands, UK

I wouldn't advise it! Against a weak, unskilled opponent OK - but a weak, unskilled opponent probably wouldn;t be challenging you in the 1st place. If you are fast and strong maybe you could lock an arm but they could easily be using their free hand to repeatedly hit you in the mush.

And I learnt that lesson the hard way! Which is why after that I only use locks on the ground.

#411754 - 11/18/08 08:13 AM Re: Joint Locks [Re: NewJitsu]
BulldogTKD Offline

Quote:

I wouldn't advise it! Against a weak, unskilled opponent OK - but a weak, unskilled opponent probably wouldn;t be challenging you in the 1st place. If you are fast and strong maybe you could lock an arm but they could easily be using their free hand to repeatedly hit you in the mush.

And I learnt that lesson the hard way! Which is why after that I only use locks on the ground.

Skilled, unskilled, you must move off line, unbalance and use the proper technique. Use the right tool for the job. If you cann't pull off a standing lock don't try it.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Ames, Cord, Fletch1, MattJ, Reiki, Taison 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Self Defense
Offering stun guns, pepper spray, tasers and other self defense products not available in stores.

Pepper Spray
Online distributor of self defense supplies like videos, stun guns, Tasers and more.

Spy Cameras
Surveillance, Hidden Cameras, Nanny Cams, Digital Recorders, Spy Equipment, Pocket DVR's and more

Stun Gun
Wholesale Directlhy to the Public! Stun gun and Taser Guns and personal protection products. Keep your loved ones at home safe!

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga