FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 44 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
AndyLA, danacohenn, ksusanc, kellypnik123, leyinn
22904 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Dobbersky 14
cxt 7
trevek 6
JKogas 5
futsaowingchun 3
July
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30 31
New Topics
Applied center line theory
by futsaowingchun
07/28/14 08:55 AM
centerline concepts
by futsaowingchun
07/14/14 10:49 PM
language of syllabus
by trevek
07/11/14 03:36 PM
ITF TaeKwonDo or Shotokan Karate????
by Dobbersky
07/10/14 07:14 AM
Anderson Silva - Leg Break
by Dobbersky
12/30/13 08:32 AM
Where Are They Now?
by Dobbersky
05/30/13 08:08 AM
Gi or no Gi Grappling?
by Prizewriter
04/16/12 02:48 PM
MMA - A passing Fad
by Dobbersky
04/12/12 11:16 AM
Throwing
by
04/23/05 10:58 PM
Recent Posts
Gi or no Gi Grappling?
by Dobbersky
07/29/14 05:11 AM
Applied center line theory
by futsaowingchun
07/28/14 08:55 AM
centerline concepts
by futsaowingchun
07/28/14 08:53 AM
ITF TaeKwonDo or Shotokan Karate????
by cxt
07/24/14 11:35 AM
language of syllabus
by trevek
07/14/14 04:50 PM
MMA - A passing Fad
by Dobbersky
07/10/14 07:35 AM
Anderson Silva - Leg Break
by Dobbersky
07/09/14 06:13 AM
Throwing
by JKogas
07/03/14 07:40 PM
Forum Stats
22904 Members
36 Forums
35564 Topics
432455 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 4 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >
Topic Options
#411602 - 11/16/08 12:58 AM Re: Couture vs. Lesnar SPOILER [Re: Stormdragon]
medulanet Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Phoenix, Arizona USA
Quote:

Yeah someone apparently was fudging around on wiki, dangit. Couture got KTFO. He could've takin it if he was where he was at when he trounced Silvia. I think everyone underestimates Lesnar a little bit though. On the plus side, Couture is abotu as tough as Lesnar will have to face in the ufc besides Noguiera so we may have a possibility for someone who can take down Fedor. In the near future that is.

There is no heavy weight in the UFC or on the planet in Fedor's league. It took Randy 5 rounds to beat Tim Sylvia with a bad back. Fedor destroyed a healthy Tim Sylvia in 38 seconds.

#411603 - 11/16/08 01:14 AM Re: Couture vs. Lesnar SPOILER [Re: medulanet]
Stormdragon Offline
Who Dares Wins
Professional Poster

Loc: Salem, OR
Brock is no where near being at his best, he can only get better. He stopped Randy Couture in round 2 by KNOCKOUT. Imagine how effective he'll be a couple years or even a year or 2. Take his mammoth size and athleticism, and add a ton of skill by then, and he may have what it takes.
You may be absolutely right But still, Lesnar would trounce Silvia inside of a round or 2 I bet. It wont be logn before he'll be able to do what Fedor did to Sylvia albeit probably not by grappling. I have to say Lesnar has greater striking potential, and could get his grapplign good enough at least to maybe avoid being taken down by Fedor or at least survive on the ground. Not saying now but perhaps in short time. Fedor isnt invincible.
Member of DaJoGen MMA school under Dave Hagen and Team Chaos fight team under Denver Mangiyatan and Chris Toquero, ran out of Zanshin Martial Arts in Salem Oregon: http://www.zanshinarts.org/Home.aspx,

#411604 - 11/16/08 09:10 AM Re: Couture vs. Lesnar SPOILER [Re: medulanet]
Kravinatrix Offline

Loc: ESSEX
Wow, that Ufc heavywieght belt sure does look rather tight around the new champion

#411605 - 11/16/08 09:15 AM Re: Couture vs. Lesnar SPOILER [Re: Stormdragon]
MattJ Offline
Free Rhinoplasty!
Prolific

Loc: York PA. USA
VID OF THE FIGHT WHILE IT LASTS:

http://www.mmatko.com/randy-couture-vs-brock-lesnar-fight-video-ufc-91/

What a great first round! Man, I was out of my seat several times. Randy looked very sharp. His takedown defense and reversals were really good. His strikes were very good, too. IMHO, Randy has NOTHING to be ashamed of in this fight. The older, smaller guy clearly demonstrated that he had more skill.

But in the end, it only took one hit. The weight difference and the striking power of Brock Lesnar made the fight. And respect to Brock - he showed some real improvement since his fight with Mir, and if there ends up being a rematch between the two, Mir better bring his A game.

I think we can say that the torch has been passed, like it or not.

#411606 - 11/16/08 09:45 AM Re: Couture vs. Lesnar SPOILER [Re: MattJ]
JKogas Offline
Prolific

Loc: North Carolina
Stormdragon wrote
Quote:

Brock is no where near being at his best, he can only get better.

What that sentence should have read is, "Brock is nowhere near being his biggest, he can only get bigger.

Quote:

He stopped Randy Couture in round 2 by KNOCKOUT. Imagine how effective he'll be a couple years or even a year or 2. Take his mammoth size and athleticism, and add a ton of skill by then, and he may have what it takes.

The thing is, he doesn't need anything other than, as you said, his "mammoth size". As long he he remains the biggest man (of that skill level) fighting, he'll stay on top.

Yay! Sheer size and brute strength wins out!

Quote:

I have to say Lesnar has greater striking potential, and could get his grappling good enough at least to maybe avoid being taken down by Fedor or at least survive on the ground. Not saying now but perhaps in short time. Fedor isnt invincible.

If Couture couldn't drop Lesnar, what are the chances you think of Fedor being able to take him down? I'd say, slim, and none. So wouldn't the whole point about Lesnar being able to "survive on the ground" be virtually moot? If anything, Lesnar will take Fedor down. Don't think it would matter much because at this point, I think Fedor could beat him at about any phase. The window for that is closing rapidly however.

MattJ wrote
Quote:

I think we can say that the torch has been passed, like it or not.

Could be. However I think what we can really say is, another weight division (super heavy) should be created.

-John

#411607 - 11/16/08 10:41 AM Re: Couture vs. Lesnar SPOILER [Re: JKogas]
Kimo2007 Offline
Veteran

I agree another weight division is now needed. In the past there have been huge fighters, but the difference in skill was enough to offset the size/strength advantage. Last night it clearly was not, and as well as Randy fought, he needed Lesner to make a huge mistake to have a realistic chance.

But I think it's good for the sport, we are starting to see truly elite athletes come into the fold, and frankly there have been very few so far. One could argue that Randy is an elite athlete, but he entered the UFC long after his peak (and look at what he did).

Lesnar is a different breed, once we begin to see more fighters with his pedigree who are also highly skilled...look out!

#411608 - 11/16/08 11:30 AM Re: Couture vs. Lesnar SPOILER [Re: Kimo2007]
Supremor Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: UK
Matt, I agree with your point about Randy's first round. Damn, I thought we were in for another Sylvia annihilation after the way he survived the first round, taking almost no damage and wearing Lesnar down. In the end it was that one clip behind the ear that caught him out, but I thought he had obviously come with a great game plan, and was able to impose his will on Lesnar for much of the fight. Who knows what would have happened had the fight gone 5 rounds.

I think the biggest problem Lesnar can face in the HW division at the moment is Noguiera. He has the submissions game to give Lesnar fits, and the long limbs to latch on to things on the ground. Add to that the fact that Nog has a fantastic guard (you'd expect him to be on his back for much of the fight) and I think you've got a great match-up. Has anyone seen Fedor-Noguiera at pride 25? Absolutely classic fight, and the only reason I would worry about Nog not beating Lesnar on the ground. Fedor is a different kettle of fish however. Lesnar is still not ready for that!

On another note, HOW GOOD WERE THE SUBISSIONS ON THE CARD!! Hazelett's arm-lock came right out of a movie, and there were impressive groundwork displays from Matt Brown and obviously Maia. It is truly scary when you have a guy like Maia who is content to pull guard and has the tools to make it a good strategy. Emphatic win from Florian too, how quickly and easily did he transition to mount?! I still don't think he can beat Penn, but he is definitely the number one contender.

#411609 - 11/16/08 12:59 PM Re: Couture vs. Lesnar SPOILER [Re: Supremor]
shoveldog Offline

Obviously, the UFC needs another weight class. There was at least a 50 lb weight difference last night, probably more. Would we match up a light heavyweight against a lightweight for a "title?" That would be the same weight difference. If Rampage or Chuck Liddell knocked out Nate Diaz, who in their right mind would say that meant anything?

#411610 - 11/16/08 01:43 PM Re: Couture vs. Lesnar SPOILER [Re: shoveldog]
Aesir Offline

Loc: Croydon, UK
A new weight class is definatly needed. However Brock may have won this time because of his size there is nothing wrong with that and we should be happy that the sport is now attracting real beastly athletes. I can only see the attention Brock will bring to mma and the UFC as a good thing as long as he keeps improving his skills and doesn't soley rely on his size.

He caught Randy last night that took skill, he didn't catch Randy because he is a huge freak but his size definatly stopped Randy from getting back up. I think it should of been stopped sooner aswell I think if it was another fighter it would of.

The Submissions last night were amazing. I was bored for the first 2 mins or so of the Matt Brown fight as he was just ggeting thrown into the cage like a doll. But it got really good on the ground. The smaller fights were much more entaining than the main event which was sort of predictable. I enjoyed the card and don't really have any complaints about it.

#411611 - 11/16/08 01:53 PM Re: Couture vs. Lesnar SPOILER [Re: shoveldog]
JKogas Offline
Prolific

Loc: North Carolina
Quote:

Obviously, the UFC needs another weight class. There was at least a 50 lb weight difference last night, probably more. Would we match up a light heavyweight against a lightweight for a "title?"

EXACTLY! That is essentially what happened last night.

Quote:

That would be the same weight difference. If Rampage or Chuck Liddell knocked out Nate Diaz, who in their right mind would say that meant anything?

I agree completely. I don't know how anyone could think otherwise. Did you see the two of them when they met in the center of the ring to get instructions/shake hands?? It looked like a man standing in front of a boy, lol.

It was more than absurd and I just can't imagine that more people wouldn't say something about this or something being done to create another weight class. Then again...

Page 4 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >

Moderator:  Cord, Fletch1, MattJ, Reiki 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Stun Guns
Variety of stun gun devices for your protection

Buy Pepper Spray
Worry about your family when you’re not around? Visit us today to protect everything you value.

Koryu.com
Accurate information on the ancient martial traditions of the Japanese samurai

C2 Taser
Protect yourself and loved ones from CRIME with the latest C2 Taser citizen model. Very effective.

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga