FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 43 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
AndyLA, danacohenn, ksusanc, kellypnik123, leyinn
22904 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Dobbersky 14
cxt 7
trevek 6
JKogas 5
futsaowingchun 4
July
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30 31
New Topics
Applied center line theory
by futsaowingchun
07/28/14 08:55 AM
centerline concepts
by futsaowingchun
07/14/14 10:49 PM
language of syllabus
by trevek
07/11/14 03:36 PM
ITF TaeKwonDo or Shotokan Karate????
by Dobbersky
07/10/14 07:14 AM
10 San Sik drills-Wing Chun's foundation
by futsaowingchun
06/30/14 11:20 AM
"Ip Man" and "Ip Man 2" the movies.
by TaekwonDoFan
06/30/14 11:02 AM
Anderson Silva - Leg Break
by Dobbersky
12/30/13 08:32 AM
Where Are They Now?
by Dobbersky
05/30/13 08:08 AM
Gi or no Gi Grappling?
by Prizewriter
04/16/12 02:48 PM
MMA - A passing Fad
by Dobbersky
04/12/12 11:16 AM
Recent Posts
Gi or no Gi Grappling?
by Dobbersky
Yesterday at 05:11 AM
Applied center line theory
by futsaowingchun
07/28/14 08:55 AM
centerline concepts
by futsaowingchun
07/28/14 08:53 AM
ITF TaeKwonDo or Shotokan Karate????
by cxt
07/24/14 11:35 AM
language of syllabus
by trevek
07/14/14 04:50 PM
MMA - A passing Fad
by Dobbersky
07/10/14 07:35 AM
Anderson Silva - Leg Break
by Dobbersky
07/09/14 06:13 AM
Throwing
by JKogas
07/03/14 07:40 PM
10 San Sik drills-Wing Chun's foundation
by futsaowingchun
06/30/14 11:20 AM
"Ip Man" and "Ip Man 2" the movies.
by TaekwonDoFan
06/30/14 11:02 AM
Forum Stats
22904 Members
36 Forums
35564 Topics
432455 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Topic Options
#410082 - 10/22/08 06:26 PM Which style/art/form am I looking for?
Resiles Offline
Stranger

I have a desire to learn a martial art that involves lethal strikes, joint breakage, eye gouges, groin kicks, and such. Ideally this style would be well suited for fighting in close quarters: inside buildings, at crowded bars, between parked cars, etc. Not really interested in going to the ground with my attacker(s), but will entertain all responses. Thank you in advance for your time and responses.

#410083 - 10/23/08 05:01 AM Re: Which style/art/form am I looking for? [Re: Resiles]
BrianS Offline
Higher rank than you
Professional Poster

Loc: Northwest Arkansas
When you find it let us know.

p.s. Just because you don't want to go to the ground doesn't mean you won't.

#410084 - 10/23/08 08:07 AM Re: Which style/art/form am I looking for? [Re: Resiles]
Dedicated1 Offline

Loc: Pennsylvania, U.S.A.
Krav Maga covers all those aspects you refer to. Even going to the ground, which may be where you end up.

#410085 - 10/23/08 08:54 AM Re: Which style/art/form am I looking for? [Re: Resiles]
Prizewriter Offline
Professional Poster

Is it for a particular line of work or your own personal defence? "Lethal Strikes..."... You want to learn to kill someone?? That is pretty severe. By stating on a public forum you want to learn how to kill someone (and that is what "lethal" implies) you could get in a lot of trouble if you ever do kill someone.

I don't want to say anymore until you give some more info about why it is you want to learn such things.

#410086 - 10/23/08 11:03 AM Re: Which style/art/form am I looking for? [Re: Resiles]
everyone Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: USA
There are many martial arts that would fit what you are looking for. What is available in your area? Various schools/styles will have different emphisis.

To make generalizations, I would recomend: Japanese Juijitsu, Winchun(most southern styles of kung fu), and KM.

#410087 - 10/23/08 12:05 PM Re: Which style/art/form am I looking for? [Re: everyone]
vanguard Offline

Loc: Cebu City, Cebu, Philippines
In other words, what you're looking for is something that is effective and deadly at the same time. Krav Maga fits that category but IMHO, it is better to have at least a decent background in different MA disciplines before training in Krav Maga.

#410088 - 10/23/08 04:21 PM Re: Which style/art/form am I looking for? [Re: Prizewriter]
Resiles Offline
Stranger

Quote:

Is it for a particular line of work or your own personal defence? "Lethal Strikes..."... You want to learn to kill someone?? That is pretty severe. By stating on a public forum you want to learn how to kill someone (and that is what "lethal" implies) you could get in a lot of trouble if you ever do kill someone.

It isn't for my line of work( I won't earn a living off killing with my bare hands) though it might come in handy BEFORE, DURING or AFTER work. I have a conceal carry permit in my home state and realize the implications with typing out those words but it is the truth. Ideally this style would be used as a last resort, while lives or personal safety are at stake. I am not one who finds himself in bar-room brawls that often, and the only time a weapon was used in a fight I was in it was me weilding the knife(I was outnumbered). And just because I learn how to kill does mean that I will, or that I will need to. Imagine if you will... being attacked and wishing in hindsight that had you just struck the attacker with a lethal strike you would not have to be running for your life with copious amounts of blood flowing from your favorite arterries.

#410089 - 10/23/08 05:00 PM Re: Which style/art/form am I looking for? [Re: Resiles]
Prizewriter Offline
Professional Poster

I understand what you are saying. If anyone tells me they want to learn MA for Self Defence as a primary goal, I direct them to Geoff Thompson or Marc MacYoung first:

Geoff Thompson (courtsey of forum member drgndrew):
http://www.fightingarts.com/ubbthreads/s...=0#Post15905133

Marc MacYoung:
http://www.nononsenseselfdefense.com/

If you are serious about Self Defense, please take the time to read these things.

There is also a thread on the forums about what qualifies a martial art/system as being "practical". Aside from the techincal content and training philosophies of the art/system, things you have to consider are:

i)Any health problems you might have that may impact on your training.
ii) How much you can afford for training?
iii) How far is the training from you? Are you prepared to regularly commute long distances for the "right" training?

If there isn't Krav Maga in your area, and you can't/won't commute to the nearest class, or can't afford it, the point is moot as to the style you are looking for.

I know this is a public forum, but if you give us the rough area (and it can be very rough e.g. a state, a province, even a country!) we can give you some websites/links to check out of classes in said area. We've had a good bit of success finding people classes before on the forums.

#410090 - 10/24/08 09:14 AM Re: Which style/art/form am I looking for? [Re: Prizewriter]
Resiles Offline
Stranger

Quote:

i)Any health problems you might have that may impact on your training.
ii) How much you can afford for training?
iii) How far is the training from you? Are you prepared to regularly commute long distances for the "right" training?

If there isn't Krav Maga in your area, and you can't/won't commute to the nearest class, or can't afford it, the point is moot as to the style you are looking for.

I know this is a public forum, but if you give us the rough area (and it can be very rough e.g. a state, a province, even a country!) we can give you some websites/links to check out of classes in said area. We've had a good bit of success finding people classes before on the forums.

I agree with you. I live in the greater Phoenix metro area in Arizona USA. I have looked at schools(Krav Maga) in my area only online(I love Google). What should I expect when I actually GET to the school? Should the first lesson be free, and maybe a free uniform? Those types of things? I understand that what these trainers run are businesses primarily I just don't wish to be one of the "3 Billion Served" if you get my drift. As always, thanks for your help.

#410091 - 10/24/08 11:28 AM Re: Which style/art/form am I looking for? [Re: Resiles]
Prizewriter Offline
Professional Poster

I think Ashe Higgs is from that area, he would maybe know some good places. You can find him in the Chinese arts forum usually. Based on what you originally asked for, check out these places if you can:

Systema:
http://www.systema.us/az_classes.php

Jeet Kune Do:
http://www.fastblastjkd.com/Students.html

MMA:
http://www.lionsdenaz.com/

Combat Hapkido:
http://www.dsihq.com/#school-links-4c50a7

And for a slightly more traditional option:

Ryukyu Kenpo:
http://www.kushu.com/az.html

Hwa Rang Do:
http://www.phxhwarangdo.com/

http://www.asu.edu/clubs/hrd/

It may give you some more stuff to think about aside from Krav Maga. I am not discounting KM, but its good to have some variety.

As for starting class, there are general things I would look out for, regardless of the style/system:

i) Are there any contracts/high membership fees? If so, this is a bad sign.
ii) Who is the training aimed at? Is it a place suitable for adult training, or is it more geared towards kids?
iii) Ask about the teachers background. Any legit place should be happy to answer this question.
iv) Talk to other students in each class, see what they think.
v) If you know someone who has studied martial arts/combat sports, bring them along to class to have them check it out, and get their opinion.

A free class is usually a good sign, but it isn't a clincher.

The only way to know for sure is to check out as many classes as you can, talk to instructors about what you want to learn, and see how they can help you.

Am sure some other folks have good advice as well on picking a class.

Moderator:  Cord, Dedicated1, JasonM, MattJ, Reiki 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Ryukyu Art
Artifacts from the Ryukyu Kingdom missing since WWII. Visit www.ShisaLion.Org to view pictures

Best Stun Guns
Self Defense Products-stun guns, pepper spray, tasers and more

Surveillance 4U
Complete surveillance systems for covert operations or secure installation security

Asylum Images
Book presents photo tour of the Trans-Allegany Lunatic Asylum. A must if you're going to take a ghost tour!

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga