FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 48 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Shanktotheright, royal, bobgalle100011, agenonline, TooNice
22862 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
THEFOREVERMAN 3
Dobbersky 2
MattJ 2
royal 2
Jeff_G 1
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30
New Topics
Judo Olympic Games 1964 Tokyo, The Video Gallery
by ergees
04/01/14 05:26 AM
Muay Thai Seminar with Greg Nelson - Marcus Charle
by Marcus Charles
03/24/14 04:39 PM
Fighting On Saturday!!!
by Dobbersky
03/20/14 05:45 AM
Where Are They Now?
by Dobbersky
05/30/13 08:08 AM
AKK kata question
by
09/04/05 01:27 PM
Recent Posts
Fighting On Saturday!!!
by THEFOREVERMAN
04/16/14 08:22 AM
Muay Thai Seminar with Greg Nelson - Marcus Charle
by THEFOREVERMAN
04/16/14 08:20 AM
AKK kata question
by MattJ
04/04/14 05:45 PM
Judo Olympic Games 1964 Tokyo, The Video Gallery
by ergees
04/01/14 05:26 AM
Forum Stats
22862 Members
36 Forums
35546 Topics
432378 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#409834 - 10/23/08 04:56 AM Re: The REAL purpose of meditation! [Re: BrianS]
puffadder Offline

Loc: UK
Meditation has many forms and each one has different benefits.
I meditate to improve the connection between mind and body - to seek out phsyical/emotional tensions and blockages which interfere with smooth, efficient movement and healthy body function. For those seeking MA functionality imo this increases speed and decreases reaction time.
Regular meditation also helps keep the problems of life in perspective and helps prevent them getting on top of you so you can see the woods for the trees and usually solutions present themselves more easily. Often trying to overanalyse things mean we don't listen to our deeper wisdom that often knows best. This isn't some new age hippy cr@p but the simple truth that our subconscoius mind takes in far more than we are consciously aware of. Every second we are bombarded with sounds, images, smells etc and we can't consciously be aware of all this information but subconsiously it is stored and processed. Meditation helps us become more aware of this vast storehouse of memories and resources by quietening down our conscious thoughts, fears and insecurities and gradually opening us up to what is possible when we can truly relax and let go.

Hope that made some sense to somebody.

#409835 - 11/12/08 10:35 PM Re: The REAL purpose of meditation! [Re: Cord]
jkdwarrior Offline

Loc: belfast, Antrim, Ireland
Quote:

Outside of that, I am never going to by the whole chakra/chi/ki/qui/force thing, but then, I am a barbarian who loves the reality of the real.

I believe that the whole idea of chi is a great way to teach people how to use their bodies and this is my only reason for saying it. Chi by it's very nature is nothingness (for myself) and therefore doesn't exist. Once understood, it should be forgotten because anything you do to increase it thereafter will only take you further away from it.

The idea of kundalini and chakras is that once you stop your nervous system from firing unnecessarily, it begins to vibrate with a nice steady hum. AUM! Since the central nervous system (CNS) consists of the brain and spinal cord, this is where the vibrating chakras (again I don't think they are real) seem to be located. The most powerful chakra is the third eye, and this is because preventing the brain from overfiring (which is obvoiusly where the majority of the neurons are located) will give the greatest results in terms of relaxation. I therefore believe that kundalini is simply a very relaxed CNS, and not the spirit of a God. In fact I don't agree with many of the notions that most meditators speak about such as spirituality (an awful word), clairvoyance (the seeing ghosts kind) etc. It's words like these that make intelligent people run a mile and prevent them from meditating and regulating their CNS, although maybe I just haven't realised yet. It's just such a good way to learn and to explain the idea of relaxation, but once learned it should be forgotten about becase in my opinion, its BS.
Regulate your CNS and you eradicate the vast majority of stress from your life and become much more aware of your surroundings, this is what I really mean by opening the kundalini. It is possible to have many transpersonal experiences in the process of doing so. These experiences are recognised by psychologists and this is what I mean when I say samadhi.

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Moderator:  Cord, MattJ, Reiki 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Ryukyu Art
Artifacts from the Ryukyu Kingdom missing since WWII. Visit www.ShisaLion.Org to view pictures

Best Stun Guns
Self Defense Products-stun guns, pepper spray, tasers and more

Surveillance 4U
Complete surveillance systems for covert operations or secure installation security

Asylum Images
Book presents photo tour of the Trans-Allegany Lunatic Asylum. A must if you're going to take a ghost tour!

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga