FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 25 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
old1, Leonar, ManLar, Vimido, raya
22925 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Ronin1966 3
futsaowingchun 3
AndyLA 1
GojuRyuboy13 1
Matakiant 1
October
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
New Topics
wing chun kicks and knees
by futsaowingchun
10/09/14 12:55 AM
2014 European Championships Juniors: the Gallery
by ergees
10/05/14 10:56 AM
Tan,Bong,Fuk & Wu Sao
by futsaowingchun
09/30/14 12:10 AM
Living a full life violence free...
by GojuRyuboy13
09/25/14 08:50 AM
Wing Chun-internal training
by futsaowingchun
09/23/14 09:01 PM
Martial News
by Matakiant
09/23/14 06:42 AM
An open letter to bunkai researchers...
by Bartfast
08/05/14 04:18 PM
The Karate punch
by Matakiant
10/30/13 07:41 AM
Leo's Judo Journal
by Leo_E_49
01/24/12 02:58 AM
** Introduce Yourself! **
by
05/13/07 08:02 AM
Recent Posts
Leo's Judo Journal
by swordy
10/11/14 09:21 AM
Living a full life violence free...
by cxt
10/10/14 10:08 AM
The Karate punch
by Ronin1966
10/09/14 03:16 PM
wing chun kicks and knees
by futsaowingchun
10/09/14 12:55 AM
An open letter to bunkai researchers...
by Ronin1966
10/08/14 09:22 PM
2014 European Championships Juniors: the Gallery
by ergees
10/05/14 10:56 AM
** Introduce Yourself! **
by AndyLA
10/04/14 10:20 AM
Tan,Bong,Fuk & Wu Sao
by futsaowingchun
09/30/14 12:10 AM
Wing Chun-internal training
by futsaowingchun
09/23/14 09:01 PM
Martial News
by Matakiant
09/23/14 06:42 AM
Forum Stats
22925 Members
36 Forums
35581 Topics
432508 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4
Topic Options
#409317 - 11/08/08 06:08 AM Re: 2nd Dan Grading [Re: flynch]
trevek Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Poland
Quote:

You can also stand at the front of a class of 5 and 6 year olds wearing those posh heavy cotton doboks that are more like a pair of warm pjs and bark orders because you've been there and done that.

Only if I can wear my lush fluffy slippers with the pyjama-dobok.

Supporting everyone saying "nuts to cancer"

#409318 - 11/08/08 11:32 AM Re: 2nd Dan Grading [Re: trevek]
TKD_X Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: HERE
i think adidas makes those.

#409319 - 11/08/08 07:19 PM Re: 2nd Dan Grading [Re: TKD_X]
flynch Offline

I must admit I do like my slippers. I have three pairs by adidas and i get mocked by the others for wearing them but since our trainning hall doubles as a beer garden in the evening from time to time its slippers for me especially for saturday morning class

#409320 - 11/09/08 12:46 AM Re: 2nd Dan Grading [Re: StuartA]
Ronin1966 Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: East Coast, United States
Hello Stuart:

I won't comment on the art per se, our "korean airborne cousins" do what they do, whether I love it or not. As a technical matter the clip unfortunately IMHO-fwiw is too haphazard to make the ~ideal~ assessment, again purely my view. Too many different things in no particular order that I could detect, made in the presentation.... to me at least I felt it was horribly confused. I am sure being there it made perfect sense.

Technical questions purely from intererst. The multiple person sparring only one contest? Regardless he was doing an awful lot of "bouncing" from my biased perspective (ie a low kicking art), were they kicks only...? Granted only a snippet but merits asking...

People will test according to their habits be they 10 year habits or hundred year ones. Why a board of literal strangers? Never understood that one... as his instructor either you consider him ready or not. Why import anybody for that purpose... will he ever see them again?

<<as I usually do by hosting small, intensive gradings.

LOL we ~loose money~ on the party afterwards, if money is any part of the equasion. They have spent the time, now we're merely sharing their experience(s) one extra time . Anybody with sufficent experience can get their own "small piece", if they are able

The test is always free, the belts are our cost until yudansha ranking then it becomes free like the tests. Thankfully broken anythings is a very very very rare thing. Would not want to be him... ouch!

Jeff

#409321 - 11/09/08 10:52 AM Re: 2nd Dan Grading [Re: Ronin1966]
Supremor Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: UK
Quote:

As a technical matter the clip unfortunately IMHO-fwiw is too haphazard to make the ~ideal~ assessment, again purely my view. Too many different things in no particular order that I could detect, made in the presentation.... to me at least I felt it was horribly confused. I am sure being there it made perfect sense.

I agree with that. Although I can understand the clip as a kind of commemoration of the event, it is almost impossible to make out exactly what the order of the activities were, or see enough of one thing to form a strong opinion either way. This is probably just my technophobe reaction to anything that's edited, but even with my experience of doing the same things and watching many similarly structured gradings in the past, I found it difficult to follow.

#409322 - 11/09/08 02:46 PM Re: 2nd Dan Grading [Re: Supremor]
trevek Offline
Professional Poster

I agree with Ronin and Supremor. The video as a personal commemoration of the event works ok, however the problem with short snippets is they create a focus upon a small piece of action and so aspects which might not normally be noticed suddenly become magnified and open to criticism.

Example; in some cases the grader (I assume) seems to pause and not deliver blows as crisply or as quickly as one might think he should. However, in reality this might not have been the case overall.

Likewise, the patterns... I do not like the visual effect of sine-wave. To me it looks like some kind of aerobic routine. That is not to say it isn't effective or that the practitioner is doing anything wrong. It is simply a matter of aesthetic taste, in this case.

Like some others have said, this is just a problem of the format of vid-clips.

What I do like in this vid is the range of differnt types of sparring. The ground-work and throws etc, low-kick work etc is more in-depth than I've seen at some dan-gradings.
Nice to see that some folk are doing more than just competition sparring.

#409323 - 11/10/08 10:30 PM Re: 2nd Dan Grading [Re: BrianS]
StuartA Offline

Sorry for late replys, been away for a few days...

BrianS
Quote:

However, I do give up in a sense. After rereading my comments I think I was less than constructive in my criticism and would like to publically apologize to StuartA.

No apology required (twas simply banter AFAIC), but thanks anyway for offering it.

Ronin1966 & Supremor
The clip isnt meant to be a indepth overview of the grading or a complete grading (it lasted 3 hours near enough), but a dip into what the student did, a small snippet if you will. In fact I only started doing them to show people that theres more to a TKD grading than a couple of patterns, a competition spar and a board break.

Ronin1966 - The rest of your questions I'll reply to on a seperate post, as Im not sure I understand all of them exactly.

trevek - All points noted. When I do that editing I just snip a few bits out to represent the different sections, I perhaps should be more careful with the bits I select, picking only the best bits, but I'm not..so I get soem good, some ok, perhaps even some bad. The point many forget reviewing things liek this is that perhaps a not so cruisply executed technique was done following 5 round sof spatrring or something..I cant show that side in a short clip, even if I wanted to.

Stuart

#409324 - 11/10/08 10:52 PM Re: 2nd Dan Grading [Re: Ronin1966]
StuartA Offline

Hi Ronin1966
Quote:

Too many different things in no particular order that I could detect, made in the presentation.... to me at least I felt it was horribly confused. I am sure being there it made perfect sense.

It did.. however, we do not run in an particular order for any of it. The idea being that no planning can take place if its all thrown in at any time.. consequently this means you may do some breaks, some sparing, a pattern, more sparring etc etc.

Quote:

The multiple person sparring only one contest?

No... all sparring has 2 rounds (in fact eveything against an opponent has 2 rounds of it)

Quote:

Regardless he was doing an awful lot of "bouncing" from my biased perspective (ie a low kicking art), were they kicks only...? Granted only a snippet but merits asking...

No problem. Part of the requirements is to try to line the attackers up rather than just trying to fight them both at once.. this is hard against 2 BBs that know what your trying to do, more so with a dodgy foot, so probibly moving more than he usually would of.

Quote:

Why a board of literal strangers?

They are not strangers.. they are all instructors that have either seen the student come up through the ranks or regular train/teach at my school. No strangers at all, to me or the students testing.

Quote:

Never understood that one... as his instructor either you consider him ready or not. Why import anybody for that purpose... will he ever see them again?

As i said, all the instructors see the students fairly regularly, so yes, they will see them again. Why a board.. because then there is no question that I passed them on any level except the grading requirements.. not that I would of, but no one can ever say I might of! Furthermore, its good for the student to be promoted by others who are not their instructors (a personal opinion but one I have clarified by studnets from other schools who have been graded by their own instructors as well as the opinions of my own students) - all gradings at Rayners Lane are done in front of a panel (even kup ones).

Quote:

LOL we ~loose money~ on the party afterwards,

It was not in reference to any party.. we dont have a party afterwards, certainly not for the examiners. The one that travels near 100 miles for me I put up at my house and feed him at no cost to my students. Grading fees cover hall hire, an embroidered belt (if required), certificate and other bits (such a BB blazer badge, tie, gold lapel pin) and some petrol money for the examiners. ie. the cost of the grading, no more. For a single grading student the cost to run one is a fair bit more than what i charge them.

The examiners costs are minimal and in return I do lots for them to enable these gradings to take place (without charge).. You tell me how much 5 dan grade examiners from 3rd to 6th dan would cost on their own for 3/4 hours - a gym trainer charges 50p/h)!! hence without the give and take, I could either charge the student hundreds of pounds or not do things how I think they should be done! No LOL at all, the first grading we held, had 6 students and lasted 8 hours.. that time I got a catering firm to provide food for the examiners as they coudnt be expected to sit there all day hungry.. so it was right, originally one had his own costs that I only found out about the day of the grading - so as not to upset the grading (as the studets had already been informed of the examiners) I paid this myself (and it was a fair bit).. following that I spoke to him we sorted a compromise out for future gradings! So, certainly not an LOL matter, just a matter of running an in-depth grading in a cost effective manner!

Quote:

if money is any part of the equasion. They have spent the time, now we're merely sharing their experience(s) one extra time ...The test is always free

Not sure I get this.. but if I could provide gradings for nothing I would (but I dont own the hall and dont expect people to do things without at least covering their expenses). As I dont charge BBs to train, then I cannot even cover it out of that either!

Regards,

Stuart

#409325 - 11/11/08 08:51 AM Re: 2nd Dan Grading [Re: StuartA]
trevek Offline
Professional Poster

Quote:

The point many forget reviewing things like this is that perhaps a not so crisply executed technique was done following 5 rounds of sparring or something..

I appreciate that, Stuart. It's a problem with making the films.

Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Stun Guns
Variety of stun gun devices for your protection

Buy Pepper Spray
Worry about your family when you’re not around? Visit us today to protect everything you value.

Koryu.com
Accurate information on the ancient martial traditions of the Japanese samurai

C2 Taser
Protect yourself and loved ones from CRIME with the latest C2 Taser citizen model. Very effective.

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga