FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 28 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
BUJU, Pilsungkarate, ALF, old1, Leonar
22928 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Ronin1966 3
futsaowingchun 2
ergees 2
GojuRyuboy13 2
AndyLA 1
October
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
New Topics
I spy kata bunkai..
by GojuRyuboy13
10/29/14 08:28 AM
Judo 2014 World Championships Juniors: The Gallery
by ergees
10/25/14 04:53 PM
The Classic Pak Sao drill
by futsaowingchun
10/20/14 10:32 AM
wing chun kicks and knees
by futsaowingchun
10/09/14 12:55 AM
2014 European Championships Juniors: the Gallery
by ergees
10/05/14 10:56 AM
Living a full life violence free...
by GojuRyuboy13
09/25/14 08:50 AM
An open letter to bunkai researchers...
by Bartfast
08/05/14 04:18 PM
The Karate punch
by Matakiant
10/30/13 07:41 AM
Leo's Judo Journal
by Leo_E_49
01/24/12 02:58 AM
** Introduce Yourself! **
by
05/13/07 08:02 AM
Recent Posts
The Karate punch
by Matakiant
10/29/14 10:01 PM
I spy kata bunkai..
by GojuRyuboy13
10/29/14 08:28 AM
Judo 2014 World Championships Juniors: The Gallery
by ergees
10/25/14 04:53 PM
Living a full life violence free...
by GojuRyuboy13
10/22/14 07:20 AM
The Classic Pak Sao drill
by futsaowingchun
10/20/14 10:32 AM
Leo's Judo Journal
by swordy
10/11/14 09:21 AM
wing chun kicks and knees
by futsaowingchun
10/09/14 12:55 AM
An open letter to bunkai researchers...
by Ronin1966
10/08/14 09:22 PM
2014 European Championships Juniors: the Gallery
by ergees
10/05/14 10:56 AM
** Introduce Yourself! **
by AndyLA
10/04/14 10:20 AM
Forum Stats
22928 Members
36 Forums
35584 Topics
432513 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#408082 - 09/19/08 10:30 AM Re: Young man doing Tai Chi? [Re: BeANumberOneMan]
Prizewriter Offline
Professional Poster

Tai Chi may very well help your health then. Again, if you give us a clue to where you can travel to train, we may be able to find some schools for you ro check out and give advice on schools that look suspect.

That said, if you want something just for "show" then Tai Chi or internal arts maybe aren't the way to go. To quote Mike Patterson "Where IMA (Internal Martial Arts) are concerned, feeling is believing". In other words they are called internal arts for a reason. Its about whats happening on the inside rather than the outside.

You have to decide what is more appropriate to your training: your health or doing moves that other people will consider "cool".

IMA are about what is going on inside, external factors e.g. how it "looks" have nothing to do with IMA. Maybe Tai Chi wouldn't be appropriate for you if this is what you are looking for.

#408083 - 09/19/08 01:22 PM Re: Young man doing Tai Chi? [Re: BeANumberOneMan]
ShikataGaNai Offline
Veteran

Loc: Bellingham, WA
Never seen roadhouse.

#408084 - 09/19/08 01:57 PM Re: Young man doing Tai Chi? [Re: BeANumberOneMan]
MattJ Offline
Free Rhinoplasty!
Prolific

Loc: York PA. USA
Quote:

Thanks to the anonymity of the Internet, I will say that in perfect honesty, I want to be able to go to the park in the morning with my shirt off and do some kind of cool-looking kata-type movements. Think Patrick Swayze from Roadhouse. Yoga would be inappropriate for this because of its unusual positioning.

You may want to write me off as some vain young kid who ought to grow up and know better, but before you do, know that I suffer from chronic joint pain, and I figure that karate would be too strenuous. I got into bodybuilding to rebuild my health. I figure if tai chi is doable for the arthritic eldery, I can do it even with my joint pain.

I applaud your honesty. Try it out and see if you like it.

#408085 - 09/19/08 05:23 PM Re: Young man doing Tai Chi? [Re: BeANumberOneMan]
ShaoLimper Offline
Dont hurt his Fealings

Depending on the style of tai chi. Taijiquan [Chen Style Tai Chi] is a fighting art, literally traslated as Ultimate Fist. Yang style is not a fighting art, but is just as good for your health in the unified body and mind and spirit idea.

#408086 - 09/19/08 07:40 PM Re: Young man doing Tai Chi? [Re: BeANumberOneMan]
Ronin1966 Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: East Coast, United States
Hello

<<Wow, I'm surprised at how many responses I've gotten.

It is always interesting what draws someones attention to a given thread. You've gotten some interesting responses.

<<any kind of martial application is a non-issue for me.

I too have virtually no usage in my life for "martial skills" being a necessity. However that being said, the intensity of that martial art practice(s) produce experiences of great and obscenely practical value but whether they are a byproduct or intentional function is a different debate.

Hatha-Yoga, another art/practice which is not quite what it appears on the surface. However if your goal is ~dating~ etceteria then hatha-yoga would be an excellent practice

There are many activities which by their perceived nature
many people write-off, unfortunately. Is there a diagnosis for your joint pain? Certainly there are methods of karate which will be too strenous, but guarantee you that is not the case for all of us.

Depends almost entirely upon the teacher (as always).
See whats easily available to you, let us know...

Jeff

You may want to write me off as some vain young kid who ought to grow up and know better, before you do, know that I suffer from chronic joint pain, and I figure that karate would be too strenuous. I got into bodybuilding to rebuild my health. I figure if tai chi is doable for the arthritic eldery, I can do it even with my joint pain.

#408087 - 09/20/08 06:13 AM Re: Young man doing Tai Chi? [Re: BeANumberOneMan]
dandjurdjevic Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Australia
Quote:

You may want to write me off as some vain young kid who ought to grow up and know better, but before you do, know that I suffer from chronic joint pain, and I figure that karate would be too strenuous. I got into bodybuilding to rebuild my health. I figure if tai chi is doable for the arthritic eldery, I can do it even with my joint pain.

Your honesty is commendable. Chronic pain is hard to live with. If you find something to make you feel better about yourself, then go for it.

I too suffer from chronic joint pain. I still do karate, however I suffer after each class! I feel no such effects from taiji.

Like gym work, I suspect it will be okay for your body (I do both and find them to be an excellent combination).

Before my arthritis was under control it got to a point that all I could do was light aqua-aerobics. I was in the pool with a bunch of 65 year old women. It didn't phase me, nor should this phase you. And you'll be surprised who else is doing taiji. Look around at different schools if you like - you might find one with a higher number of "younger" students.

Good luck.

#408088 - 09/25/08 05:59 AM Re: Young man doing Tai Chi? [Re: ShaoLimper]
Gavin Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Southend, Essex, UK
Quote:

Yang style is not a fighting art

Pray tell why???? Also could you tell that to my Sifu coz he hits bloody hard which I really don't think is good for my health!

Edited by Gavin (09/25/08 06:03 AM)

#408089 - 09/25/08 05:13 PM Re: Young man doing Tai Chi? [Re: ShaoLimper]
trevek Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Poland
Quote:

Yang style is not a fighting art,

Like Gavin, I know folk who could convince you otherwise. Funny a not-fighting art uses so many weapons.

Supporting everyone saying "nuts to cancer"

#408090 - 09/28/08 11:08 AM Re: Young man doing Tai Chi? [Re: ShaoLimper]
Fisherman Offline
Veteran

Loc: Colorado, USA
Quote:

Depending on the style of tai chi. Taijiquan [Chen Style Tai Chi] is a fighting art, literally traslated as Ultimate Fist. Yang style is not a fighting art, but is just as good for your health in the unified body and mind and spirit idea.

This appears to me to be an uninformed blanket statement. What kind of validation do you have to back up your statement?

#408091 - 09/28/08 11:53 AM Re: Young man doing Tai Chi? [Re: ShaoLimper]
ashe_higgs Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: phoenix
Quote:

Taijiquan [Chen Style Tai Chi] is a fighting art, literally traslated as Ultimate Fist.

bzzzzz! not quite.

while chen style is generally considered the original style of taijiquan, all the five major family styles are still considered to be taijiquan.

AND "ultimate fist" is not quite the lit. translation. it's impossible to do a lit. translation of most CMA names, since any given word can have several meaning depending on the context, so some lit. translations might be "grand ultimate fist", "huge extreme fist", but a lit. translation is no good anyway, since in chinese, when you combine two different words into a combination like say "taiji" it takes on a whole new meaning.

for instance, "tian" can mean "heavan" or simply "sky" and "xia" can mean "dropping/moving down" or "below/under", but when taken together become "the whole world" even though the lit. translation of "tian xia" is "under heavan/below the sky" which doesn't make a whole lot of sense in most cases.

so in this case "taiji" becomes shorthand for an entire set of principles and a philosophy dealing with the cycles of change in nature (i.e. the alternation of yin and yang). while "quan" lit. means fist, it has the sense of "boxing" or "martial art" in the same way that "muay" means for "muay thai" or "thai boxing".

so, all together and in context taijiquan means something like "the martial art based on the principles and philosophy of the alternation of yin and yang", which is a mouthful and might as well be left simply as "taijiquan".

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Cord, Gavin, JasonM, MattJ, Reiki 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Self Defense
Offering stun guns, pepper spray, tasers and other self defense products not available in stores.

Pepper Spray
Online distributor of self defense supplies like videos, stun guns, Tasers and more.

Spy Cameras
Surveillance, Hidden Cameras, Nanny Cams, Digital Recorders, Spy Equipment, Pocket DVR's and more

Stun Gun
Wholesale Directlhy to the Public! Stun gun and Taser Guns and personal protection products. Keep your loved ones at home safe!

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga