FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 31 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
TomRosenberg, jessylin, play, Keith_G, LeroyCFischer
22937 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
futsaowingchun 2
jwwmantis 2
Beefcake 1
LeroyCFischer 1
December
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30 31
New Topics
Chum Kiu's double Tan Sau motion
by futsaowingchun
Today at 10:08 AM
Freeing Hand-Wing Chun's last movements
by futsaowingchun
12/17/14 09:40 PM
2015 Master Yang Jwing-Ming Seminar
by jwwmantis
12/05/14 10:36 PM
The Beginners Guide To Stretching
by
12/27/06 11:43 AM
Your true goal
by
03/03/06 07:16 AM
Recent Posts
Chum Kiu's double Tan Sau motion
by futsaowingchun
Today at 10:08 AM
Freeing Hand-Wing Chun's last movements
by futsaowingchun
12/17/14 09:40 PM
Your true goal
by Beefcake
12/11/14 02:44 AM
The Beginners Guide To Stretching
by LeroyCFischer
12/04/14 02:07 AM
Forum Stats
22937 Members
36 Forums
35592 Topics
432527 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 12 of 24 < 1 2 ... 10 11 12 13 14 ... 23 24 >
Topic Options
#407247 - 09/24/08 02:40 AM Re: A reasonable discussion of "internal" physics [Re: eyrie]
Cord Offline
Prolific

Loc: Cambridge UK.
Quote:

It is not, where one person offers information, and the others beat him down and denigrate with derogatory comments and insults, while pimping the aliveness and resistance/it's all the f**ing same thing" mantra, or making tangential snipes as to the person or character of the person.

*sigh* i dont need to *pimp* that argument any more- you already bought it, remember? (is concepding that point what has made you so sore? )

My point about the arrows was not an insult or a 'dig'. All Human knowledge starts first with observation of cause and action. I merely offered that just because thats where it starts, it is folly for it to end there if further information exists.

Quote:

Now... was THAT soooo hard to say without going into some tangential diatribe and snide remarks?

I dont know, was it sooo hard to concede that Lucid had said what he had said in the first place? Seems that way in the first wave of responses

#407248 - 09/24/08 02:50 AM Re: A reasonable discussion of "internal" physics [Re: Cord]
eyrie Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: QLD, Australia
Considering that you (and Brian or Ed, since they apparently also know) could have said that a few posts back... yes.

So why would you want to strengthen the posterior chain and what would you consider the best way to do it?

#407249 - 09/24/08 03:08 AM Re: A reasonable discussion of "internal" physics [Re: eyrie]
Cord Offline
Prolific

Quote:

So why would you want to strengthen the posterior chain

because it is the root of all power generation in the body,and because our daily life (sitting, using fine motor skills always 'in front' of the body) weakens it. This, in turn throws posture out, which ruins balance, which ruins application of power from what posterior chain you do have.

Quote:

and what would you consider the best way to do it?

specific application of dynamic weight lifting, with an inclusion, for your specific skill base, of declerative engagement via controlled 'catch' of the weight in such movements as hang snatch, plyometric weighted squat, and cleans.
Also, core work, again, for your skill set, including utilisation of the swiss ball to enforce reactive centre of balance correction in motor function.

Volume would be low, as you would not be changing from being an MAist to becoming a weightlifter. You would be using specific tools to increase the 'clay' of strength (not muscle mass) which you could then 'sculpt' into the movements and concepts of your art.

Hope this post didnt offend anyone.

#407250 - 09/24/08 03:17 AM Re: A reasonable discussion of "internal" physics [Re: Cord]
Zach_Zinn Offline
Veteran

Loc: Olympia, WA
Quote:

I thought 'internal arts' taught you to absorb and use others forces against them? This obviously doesnt reach as far as conversation, you are as brittle as sugar glass.

Not sensitive about anything, I just know when things are getting shotty on forums.

Here's an idea, why don't you actually moderate a thread? Like keeping this one on track? Oh wait yeah, there is virtually no moderation on here, and when there is it's shall we say...a bit selective.

Basically this place has turned into a club for a certain group of people, hopefully at some point that'll change, until then i'm more than willing to just let you guys have it and pounce on every thread you see that might be an opportunity to "correct" someone about all their silly training ideas.

#407251 - 09/24/08 03:29 AM Re: A reasonable discussion of "internal" physics [Re: Zach_Zinn]
Cord Offline
Prolific

Quote:

Not sensitive about anything, I just know when things are getting shotty on forums.

OK. Never heard you complain about my posting till I disagreed with you, thats all

Quote:

Here's an idea, why don't you actually moderate a thread? Like keeping this one on track? Oh wait yeah, there is virtually no moderation on here, and when there is it's shall we say...a bit selective.

Really? Care to give an example? scratch that, dont take the thread off topic.

Quote:

i'm more than willing to just let you guys have it and pounce on every thread you see that might be an opportunity to "correct" someone about all their silly training ideas.

Why not join in? my ideas regarding performance training are backed up by science and positive results. You think people ask me for training advice to massage my ego, or because they have seen improvement by following the concepts I offer them?

Helping someone, and accepting any old sh*t they choose to say as fact, are two completely different things.
If mankind didnt pull one another up on mistakes and have an urge to pass on knowledge, we would all be walking around thinking our arms grew out of our ar$es wouldnt we? Oh, hang on....

#407252 - 09/24/08 03:59 AM Re: A reasonable discussion of "internal" physics [Re: Cord]
eyrie Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: QLD, Australia
Quote:

because it is the root of all power generation in the body,and because our daily life (sitting, using fine motor skills always 'in front' of the body) weakens it. This, in turn throws posture out, which ruins balance, which ruins application of power from what posterior chain you do have.
specific application of dynamic weight lifting, with an inclusion, for your specific skill base, of declerative engagement via controlled 'catch' of the weight in such movements as hang snatch, plyometric weighted squat, and cleans.
Also, core work, again, for your skill set, including utilisation of the swiss ball to enforce reactive centre of balance correction in motor function.

Volume would be low, as you would not be changing from being an MAist to becoming a weightlifter. You would be using specific tools to increase the 'clay' of strength (not muscle mass) which you could then 'sculpt' into the movements and concepts of your art.

Hope this post didnt offend anyone.

Much better. Thank you. Personally, I'd like to see more posts like this from you and other people as well... as you said in another thread... get rid of the guff and work towards an understanding of what "internal" really means...

#407253 - 09/24/08 07:34 AM Re: A reasonable discussion of "internal" physics [Re: Cord]
Gavin Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Southend, Essex, UK
Cord baby I'm looking forward to meeting up....we still have a long over due Xbox 360 session to get through as well....

Could I just address one point about arms being connected to the waist....I have no idea what context this was mentioned in but if you are looking at this from a purely individual muscle based point of view obviously its nonsense. BUT viewing it in terms of myofascial continuity then looking at it very superficially then it's fairly easy to link the deltoid as being next in functional line to the trapezius which can be traced 'functionally' to virtually any other muscle from the 'waist' area. The Psoas originates all the way up to the transverse processes of T12 and is one of the most misused and abused muscles in the body and really it's quite logical to say that functionally the leg actually ends at T12. A better understanding of the holistic myofascial system would allow many of the guys on here to actually understand and discuss 'internal' training methods properly, and this is directed at people on both sides of the fence - but that would ruin the game of bitching wouldn't it?

Understanding the myofascial system is why I can discuss stuff like this with Cord because I have a little grounding in perspective he is coming from as I can link it functionally to the seemingly more esoteric wisdom contained in the IMA's. Having a little grounding in IMA's means I can also converse with people who are seemingly nutjobs like Eyrie!

Trouble is that most people on here who argue haven't got a clue what they are talking about from either side of the fence barring a bit of hobbyist training and reading a few webpages, and that's why we have all the nonsense on this forum, it's a pi$$ing match where most of the participants have actually very little interest in the subject.

#407254 - 09/24/08 08:19 AM Re: A reasonable discussion of "internal" physics [Re: Gavin]
BrianS Offline
Higher rank than you
Professional Poster

Loc: Northwest Arkansas
Eyrie, quit whining and post something that makes sense. I'm not the one who offered up a video and then called the request "assanine", drama queen.

Zach, as always everything is hunky dory as long as people are following YOUR thread rules and agree with YOUR point of view.

Gavin baby, we all know you have stuff to sell. In that you have a vested interest for people to see things a certain way it clouds the truth, or blatantly hides it.

You guys who write this nonsense get agitated when people disagree and just write it off as "they know nothing" or are just lacking in true knowledge which only those who agree possess.

Have fun guys. eyrie, if you are going to leave then do so already. You don't need to place blame on posters here to do so.

#407255 - 09/24/08 08:39 AM Re: A reasonable discussion of "internal" physics [Re: BrianS]
Gavin Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Southend, Essex, UK
I've got nothing to sell mate. I don't make a penny out of sharing anything on the internet, I don't do DVD's so talking to people who live over 5000 miles away ain't for profit is it?

What's nonsense about anything I've said? Please enlighten and how have I ever clouded anything? In the last post I mentioned about functional lines of myofascial functional continuity....that's western sports science baby....not mystical Tie Chee B.S, but like I said before that stuff is ignored coz it ruins the game for both sides....bit like opening up the envelope in cluedo at the beginning of the game...takes all the fun away and god forbid then we'd actually have to discuss actually training then rather than b*tching....but what do I know I'm just watching my bank balance tick away.....

#407256 - 09/24/08 03:06 PM Re: A reasonable discussion of "internal" physics [Re: Gavin]
Lucid Warrior Offline

Loc: TwinCities, MN, U.S.
Sigh. I've studied anatomy for many years, and spent a long time lifting weights before I ever got involved in any of this stuff.

I suppose if I could offer up some kind of brain scan that shows the activation of the psoas from the leg section of the muscle control center, I could put up a reasonably sound argument of why conventional kinesiology has it wrong, but since I don't have acess to that technology, I have to concede the point. Congratulations for winning an argument.

Page 12 of 24 < 1 2 ... 10 11 12 13 14 ... 23 24 >

Moderator:  Cord, MattJ, Reiki 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Self Defense
Offering stun guns, pepper spray, tasers and other self defense products not available in stores.

Pepper Spray
Online distributor of self defense supplies like videos, stun guns, Tasers and more.

Spy Cameras
Surveillance, Hidden Cameras, Nanny Cams, Digital Recorders, Spy Equipment, Pocket DVR's and more

Stun Gun
Wholesale Directlhy to the Public! Stun gun and Taser Guns and personal protection products. Keep your loved ones at home safe!

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga