FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 60 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Shanktotheright, royal, bobgalle100011, agenonline, TooNice
22862 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Dobbersky 3
THEFOREVERMAN 3
MattJ 2
royal 2
cxt 1
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30
New Topics
Judo Olympic Games 1964 Tokyo, The Video Gallery
by ergees
04/01/14 05:26 AM
Muay Thai Seminar with Greg Nelson - Marcus Charle
by Marcus Charles
03/24/14 04:39 PM
Fighting On Saturday!!!
by Dobbersky
03/20/14 05:45 AM
Where Are They Now?
by Dobbersky
05/30/13 08:08 AM
AKK kata question
by
09/04/05 01:27 PM
Recent Posts
Fighting On Saturday!!!
by THEFOREVERMAN
04/16/14 08:22 AM
Muay Thai Seminar with Greg Nelson - Marcus Charle
by THEFOREVERMAN
04/16/14 08:20 AM
AKK kata question
by MattJ
04/04/14 05:45 PM
Judo Olympic Games 1964 Tokyo, The Video Gallery
by ergees
04/01/14 05:26 AM
Forum Stats
22862 Members
36 Forums
35546 Topics
432378 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Topic Options
#406513 - 09/06/08 06:53 AM What makes a good uniform / starting a business
acornrevolution Offline
Stranger

Hi. I am currently designing martial arts uniforms for a possible home business and wanted to get some advice about a few things. I’ve trained in ninjitsu, hapkido, and muay thai, but haven’t spent too much time grappling or in too many gis/doboks. What do you look for in an excellent uniform? In terms of material, construction, design, etc.

Which weave do you like better: twill, drill, canvas, goldweave, double weave?

What’s a good all around weight: 8oz, 10oz, 12oz, 14oz, or more? For training? For grappling? For competition?

Do you like to have the same material for the pants as the jacket?

What are some common flaws in gi construction?

I see a lot of jui jitsu gis with tons of patches….what’s with all the patches??

What do you think is the best way to get a new ma uniform line’s name out there? If it were you, where would you advertise?

Thanks for any comments, help, feedback, etc….

(A)

#406514 - 09/08/08 07:45 AM Re: What makes a good uniform / starting a business [Re: acornrevolution]
trevek Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Poland
well, it depends what kind of art you are aiming at catering for or whether you are trying for an all-rounder.

I personally like something which absorbs the sweat. My TKD org once changed to some mixed fabric (rather than plain old cotton) and it felt horrible having something which didn't fully absorb and meant I could feel the sweat dribbling down my back and felt plain sticky.

I like the jacket, as with a Judo gi, a bit heavier than the legs. One thing I don't like (although it obviously comes with the turf) is something rubbing against my neck too much.

What might be interesting is to experiment with weight, strength and flexibility. A gi is often more rigid than street clothes are and sometimes harder to grip and use. OK, this is necessary for repeated practice, but it would be good to have something which is nearer to street style clothes.

Supporting everyone saying "nuts to cancer"

#406515 - 10/05/08 11:26 AM Re: What makes a good uniform / starting a business [Re: trevek]
TKD-Skippi Offline

Loc: Scotland, Selkirk
have a zip up the front for convenience. make sure the stitching attaching the zip is heavy duty.

the school I go to uses a 65%polyester and 35% cotton blend. it controls sweat pretty well and also it helps make it mark resistant...that is to say dirty marks not people called mark :-p
Do not be overcome by evil , but overcome evil with good -Romans 13:21

#406516 - 10/05/08 03:01 PM Re: What makes a good uniform / starting a business [Re: TKD-Skippi]
trevek Offline
Professional Poster

Is that ITF or Tukido? I seem to recall both using zips.

Problem is, how practical is it to have a zip in a grappling gi; might it not break the zip or rip the stitching?

#406517 - 10/05/08 06:02 PM Re: What makes a good uniform / starting a busines [Re: trevek]
tkd_high_green Offline
Veteran

Loc: Vermont
I would definitely like to see more uniforms tailored towards women. Most that I've tried don't take into consideration a womans body shape. I'd also like to see a uniform with a stretchier material in the pants for flexibility.

Laura

#406518 - 10/06/08 02:54 PM Re: What makes a good uniform / starting a busines [Re: tkd_high_green]
trevek Offline
Professional Poster

How do you mean, Laura? I thought lots of suits just don't take anybody's body into acount. You look like a sack, male or female.

#406519 - 10/07/08 10:56 PM Re: What makes a good uniform / starting a busines [Re: trevek]
tkd_high_green Offline
Veteran

Loc: Vermont
Granted it probably has a lot to do with my own body shape, but I find that uniforms that otherwise fit, don't take a womens hips into consideration and the v-necks don't really need to open all the way down to my belly button either.

And I don't really think it would hurt manufacturers to consider that there are more and more "well padded" folks taking the martial arts these days to get rid of some of that "padding", so it would be nice to be able to buy a uniform that wasn't twenty feet too long, just so it fits around the mid section.

I really don't like having to buy a uniform and have to spend the time and money to get it hemmed. Would it be too much to be able to buy a size x uniform with the lengths, petite, medium, and long as options? We can get everything else from china, why not this?

Laura

#406520 - 10/08/08 03:17 AM Re: What makes a good uniform / starting a busines [Re: tkd_high_green]
trevek Offline
Professional Poster

Ah yes, I see what you mean. Being tall, I oftn find the problem is that they assume long legs means large midrift and don't always allow for tighter fastening. Upshot is that I look like my legs have started shrinking half way through a warm-up.

Moderator:  Cord, MattJ, Reiki, tkd_high_green 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Self Defense
Offering stun guns, pepper spray, tasers and other self defense products not available in stores.

Pepper Spray
Online distributor of self defense supplies like videos, stun guns, Tasers and more.

Spy Cameras
Surveillance, Hidden Cameras, Nanny Cams, Digital Recorders, Spy Equipment, Pocket DVR's and more

Stun Gun
Wholesale Directlhy to the Public! Stun gun and Taser Guns and personal protection products. Keep your loved ones at home safe!

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga