FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 28 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
TomRosenberg, jessylin, play, Keith_G, LeroyCFischer
22937 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
jwwmantis 2
Beefcake 1
LeroyCFischer 1
futsaowingchun 1
Zombie Zero 1
December
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30 31
New Topics
Freeing Hand-Wing Chun's last movements
by futsaowingchun
12/17/14 09:40 PM
2015 Master Yang Jwing-Ming Seminar
by jwwmantis
12/05/14 10:36 PM
The Beginners Guide To Stretching
by
12/27/06 11:43 AM
Your true goal
by
03/03/06 07:16 AM
Recent Posts
Freeing Hand-Wing Chun's last movements
by futsaowingchun
12/17/14 09:40 PM
Your true goal
by Beefcake
12/11/14 02:44 AM
The Beginners Guide To Stretching
by LeroyCFischer
12/04/14 02:07 AM
Forum Stats
22937 Members
36 Forums
35591 Topics
432526 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 5 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >
Topic Options
#406169 - 09/08/08 09:24 AM Re: Could use some help [Re: Ed_Morris]
Gavin Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Southend, Essex, UK
Not random just at you. Babbling yes, angry no. Drunk, not yet unfortunately I'm working. Bone of contention with you? Definitely, which out of respect for Cord I'll keep to my little ol' self. Opinions on this thread? Doesn't interest me, as I said it's a bit of a giggle.

#406170 - 09/08/08 01:39 PM Re: Could use some help [Re: Gavin]
Zach_Zinn Offline
Veteran

Loc: Olympia, WA

Regardless of who has done what in terms of this specific argument, one thing that is quite annoying on FA.com is that you can predict pretty much exactly what will happen whenever someone posts anything in the internal arts forum.

Typically what will happen is almost immediately a large group of skeptics will bombard the thread, and often the same actors will get involved in a back and forth pissing match.

I don't mind the skepticism, in fact I share some of it, however it's a little daunting when every thread goes the same direction, with the same (often largely unqualified) things said regardless of how it started.

There is a lot of baiting that goes on on this board, and sometimes I wonder if alot of the conversations we have are motivated by any real desire to converse, or do we just want to talk "at" eachother?

Edited by Zach_Zinn (09/08/08 01:44 PM)

#406171 - 09/08/08 02:42 PM Re: Could use some help [Re: Zach_Zinn]
MattJ Offline
Free Rhinoplasty!
Prolific

Loc: York PA. USA
I don't think it's "bombarding" a thread to ask questions or ask for proof of something mentioned. Stonewalling and insults are less agreeable to me.

#406172 - 09/08/08 03:10 PM Re: Could use some help [Re: MattJ]
Zach_Zinn Offline
Veteran

Loc: Olympia, WA
Quote:

I don't think it's "bombarding" a thread to ask questions or ask for proof of something mentioned. Stonewalling and insults are less agreeable to me.

Dude, almost every thread that gets posted in this forum ends up with the same clique of dudes attacking it, you can call that whatever you want, imo it goes way beyond the realm of simple healthy debate.

BTW, accusing someone of being a sellout, just wanting to sell DvD's etc.(like Ed does all the time) is just as much an insult as simply calling someone a name, no one in these conversations has been innocent of this kind of behavior. I don't mean to single out Ed, he has alot of great things to say, but you guys really do tend to look the other way at some people's actions.

I don't exactly have a dog in this race, being a more 'casual' member of the forum, but I tell ya what, there is a real double standard around here regarding people's behavior on the forums, and I think alot of the time some of you guys that have been on here for a while are completely blind to it.

You can call it what you want, but from the standpoint of an outside observer it often looks more like a club than a forum.

Edited by Zach_Zinn (09/08/08 03:15 PM)

#406173 - 09/08/08 03:52 PM Re: Could use some help [Re: Zach_Zinn]
MattJ Offline
Free Rhinoplasty!
Prolific

Wasn't looking the other way, dude. I didn't say "Ed's insults are OK, but Gav's and Eyrie's are not". But it is just as consistent that any reasonable statement or question in this forum is met with arrogant dismissal or outright hostility. Just like in this thread.

#406174 - 09/08/08 06:49 PM Re: Could use some help [Re: Zach_Zinn]
Ed_Morris Offline
Professional Poster

#406175 - 09/08/08 07:08 PM Re: Could use some help [Re: MattJ]
eyrie Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: QLD, Australia
You didn't have to say it, but you may as well have, by tacitly glossing over Ed's thinly veiled insults.

The thread topic is a joke anyway... a juvenile question borne out of an equally juvenile fantasy and overactive imagination. As Ed pointed out, the "research" is bunk. This Nishino dude is bunk. There are so many tells in the video Ed posted that if one were clued into, they would immediately realize just how bunk he is. And I'm not even talking about the obvious fact that his uke are practically jumping for him.

But since some of you armchair internalists know precisely what you're talking about, perhaps you could further enlighten the young CaptCollins as to WHY what Nishino is doing is bunk?

What is he doing in the video that is so obviously not internal? I don't think it is internal either, but I'm curious to see what your thoughts are.

#406176 - 09/08/08 07:52 PM Re: Could use some help [Re: eyrie]
Ed_Morris Offline
Professional Poster

here's the Nishino video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-GmXEYGqfIU&feature=related

here's the Ueshiba video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bCjySZuVDkQ&feature=related

my untrained and unelightened eye sees the same thing in both videos, but in two different contexts:

The Ueshiba video is acquiescence.

The Nishino video is willful deception.

#406177 - 09/08/08 08:09 PM Re: Could use some help [Re: Ed_Morris]
eyrie Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: QLD, Australia
Care to explain why? Why is complicity in one video "acquiescence" and the other is "deception"?

#406178 - 09/08/08 08:36 PM Re: Could use some help [Re: eyrie]
MattJ Offline
Free Rhinoplasty!
Prolific

Quote:

What is he doing in the video that is so obviously not internal? I don't think it is internal either, but I'm curious to see what your thoughts are.

I don't recall saying it wasn't internal or external. It was simply fake. You can't stop people without touching them like he did. This has been proven over and over again by the few ki-folk that were willing to try it against true resistance.

I offered up a video of Genki Sudo as a possible example of a MMA guy that could be described as having good "internal" power ie; very efficient body mechanics with minimal effort.

http://www.fightingarts.com/ubbthreads/s...=0#Post15964732

The response seem to be that it is NOT, but little explanation is offered as to why not. I have also asked for any type of video that would demonstrate "good" internal power, but have yet to see anything posted. This leads me to believe that there is no proof or explanation that internal training is any different or better than anything else.

Page 5 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >

Moderator:  Cord, MattJ, Reiki 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Fight Videos
Night club fight footage and street fights captured with the world's first bouncer spy cam

How to Matrix!
Learn ten times faster with new training method. Learn entire arts for as little as $10 per disk.

Self Defense
Stun guns, pepper spray, Mace and self defense products. Alarms for personal and home use.

TASER MC26C
Stop An Urban Gorilla: Get 2 FREE TASER M26C Replacement Air Cartridges With Each New TASER M26C!

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga