FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 19 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
mohdnabeel, sunny, swordy, jerrybarry24, SenseiGregT
22915 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Ed_Morris 4
AndyLA 3
Zombie Zero 2
Matakiant 2
futsaowingchun 2
September
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
New Topics
STX Kickboxing Seminar
by Marcus Charles
09/09/14 06:57 PM
Biu Tzu- 1st section applications
by futsaowingchun
09/05/14 10:56 PM
2014 World Championships Chelyabinsk: The Gallery
by ergees
09/01/14 03:51 AM
Biu Tzu- Snake hand strike
by futsaowingchun
08/27/14 09:02 PM
An open letter to bunkai researchers...
by Bartfast
08/05/14 04:18 PM
The Karate punch
by Matakiant
10/30/13 07:41 AM
Where Are They Now?
by Dobbersky
05/30/13 08:08 AM
mindfullness meditation
by
01/06/09 11:27 AM
** Introduce Yourself! **
by
05/13/07 08:02 AM
Eugue Ryu
by
03/27/07 12:06 AM
Recent Posts
attacked from behind
by AndyLA
Yesterday at 09:05 AM
An open letter to bunkai researchers...
by Matakiant
09/18/14 07:11 AM
The Karate punch
by Matakiant
09/18/14 06:07 AM
** Introduce Yourself! **
by Zombie Zero
09/16/14 04:43 PM
Eugue Ryu
by kolslaw
09/12/14 03:35 PM
Biu Tzu- 1st section applications
by futsaowingchun
09/05/14 10:56 PM
2014 World Championships Chelyabinsk: The Gallery
by ergees
09/01/14 03:51 AM
mindfullness meditation
by log1call
08/31/14 09:43 PM
Biu Tzu- Snake hand strike
by futsaowingchun
08/27/14 09:02 PM
Forum Stats
22915 Members
36 Forums
35575 Topics
432495 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#406011 - 09/13/08 07:10 PM Re: Tight fist = tense arm? [Re: Saisho]
Zach_Zinn Offline
Veteran

Loc: Olympia, WA
Quote:

I am trying to stay out of the personal argument that a few people seem to have going on (maybe they don't and I am seeing it wrong). However, I would like to dispute the concept of "overtightening" which "slows down the arm."

This is completely false and has no justification of any kind. I don't care how tight you make your fist, you will not slow down your technique.

As mentioned, the muscles that tighten the fist are in the forearm and only affect the wrist and fist. The power and speed of the technique should not be coming from the elbow, let alone from the forearm and wrist.

This is incorrect, there are muscles "in the forearm" that have an effect on flexion, extension, abduction, adduction of the wrist, flexion and extension of the digits, and and flexion of the elbow further, many flexor and extensor muscles originate from the epicondyles of the humerus (i.e. the "upper arm") or thereabouts, so saying that what happens in your forearm is disconnected from everything else simply doesn't make sense.

It's debatable I agree how much affect is there, but this idea that all the muscles in your lower arm are disconnected from the upper is dead wrong as far as I know.

If you want the names of the muscles I can break out my stuff and list em' off.

Here's an example muscle:

Palmaris longus:

Originates from the common flexor tendon from medial epicondyle of humerus

inserts on flexor retinaculum and palmar aponeurosis

actions are tense palmar fascia, flex the wrist, flex the elbow

Maybe i'm missing something but as far as my kinesiology training goes the claim that forearm muscles are standalone is a mistaken one. However, i'm going to ask my teacher and get a definitive answer.

Edited by Zach_Zinn (09/13/08 07:15 PM)

#406012 - 09/13/08 08:38 PM Re: Tight fist = tense arm? [Re: Zach_Zinn]
Zach_Zinn Offline
Veteran

OK, thought about it some more...if by muscles which tighten the fist you are meaning only the muscles which flex the digits then I think that's disputable because you are not counting muscles which do adduction, abduction, flexion and extension of the wrist, and supination/pronation fo the forearm which should count in making a fist that's gonna receive impact as far as I can tell.

Also the forearm flexor muscles I am aware of (we don't cover every single muscle in detail) still originate largely from the medial epicondyle of the humerus (including one flexor digitorum muscle that i'm aware of), if the muscle is contracted and it crosses the joint, I don't understand how it could not affect the movement of upper arm as well.

I'm willing to listen to any alternative viewpoint but so far this ain't makin' sense.

Edited by Zach_Zinn (09/13/08 08:44 PM)

#406013 - 09/15/08 11:35 AM Re: Tight fist = tense arm? [Re: Zach_Zinn]
TheCrab Offline
Scum

Loc: QLD Australia
I cant believe this is even a discussion. Even if somehow making a reasonable fist slows you down, you have to do it anyway lol

#406014 - 09/15/08 01:55 PM Re: Tight fist = tense arm? [Re: TheCrab]
Zach_Zinn Offline
Veteran

Quote:

I cant believe this is even a discussion. Even if somehow making a reasonable fist slows you down, you have to do it anyway lol

And I can't believe you bothered posting in the thread just to say that...

Talk about missing the point, how about just not posting next time you feel like that?

Edited by Zach_Zinn (09/15/08 01:56 PM)

#406015 - 09/15/08 08:06 PM Re: Tight fist = tense arm? [Re: Zach_Zinn]
TheCrab Offline
Scum

Loc: QLD Australia
Quote:

Talk about missing the point, how about just not posting next time you feel like that?

I just made a point.

fatty

#406016 - 09/15/08 08:49 PM Re: Tight fist = tense arm? [Re: TheCrab]
Zach_Zinn Offline
Veteran

Quote:

Quote:

I just made a point.

fatty

Thanks man, needed to be reminded about that ignore button

P.S.: Usually making a point requires something more than "hahaha d00d u r dum" which appears to be where you're at most of the time.

Ahem

Still waiting for someone with some kinesiology background to go into this a little further with me.

Edited by Zach_Zinn (09/15/08 08:57 PM)

#406017 - 09/17/08 09:07 PM Re: Tight fist = tense arm? [Re: Zach_Zinn]
Saisho Offline
more than just a pretty face

Loc: Dayton, Ohio
Zach,

In part you are right, but lets not try to throw around a bunch of "knowledge" that you can go look up when there are us in this forum that do this for a living and don't have to look it up.

#406018 - 09/17/08 09:10 PM Re: Tight fist = tense arm? [Re: Saisho]
Zach_Zinn Offline
Veteran

Quote:

Zach,

In part you are right, but lets not try to throw around a bunch of "knowledge" that you can go look up when there are us in this forum that do this for a living and don't have to look it up.

I'm in school using and obtaining this knowledge, while I certainly did look it up, I work on some of these and other muscles every day, I assure you that beyond just looking it up I actually have learned a bit about muscles and do have some real life exposure.

So if it rubs ya the wrong way, explain where i'm wrong. I'm happy to accept an alternate explanation.

So let me boil it down: since flexors and extensors involved in making and using a fist originate in a large part from the medial and lateral epicondyles of the humerus (crossing the elbow joint), how could contraction of them not affect the upper arm and movement of the elbow?

I was just looking for a conversation about it, and I'd think that as a phys. therapist you'd actually be able to explain it or something, instead of getting mad because I looked something up in my kinesiology texts.

Edited by Zach_Zinn (09/17/08 09:27 PM)

#406019 - 09/17/08 11:51 PM Re: Tight fist = tense arm? [Re: Zach_Zinn]
Saisho Offline
more than just a pretty face

Loc: Dayton, Ohio
Yes, extensors originate on the lateral epicondyle, hence lateral epicondylitis, or "tennis elbow" from repetitive use. The medial side is, for the most part, the origin of the flexors.

Where the error, as I see it, in the logic comes is in the role these muscles play in the workings of the elbow joint. It is true that any muscle that crosses a joint has an effect on the joint movement. However, the common flexors and extensors play only a minor role in elbow movement. In fact, when the fist is tight and the elbow bends, the common flexors and extensors get a little lax.

I am not angry about anyone looking information up. As a Physical Therapist, I do have to explain these things. As a college instructor of Anatomy, Physiology and Biomechanics, I have to teach it more. However, I think it is better to keep the explanations simple for those without an anatomical background and I think it can be done without trying to make people seem less educated.

Good luck with school.

#406020 - 09/18/08 03:50 PM Re: Tight fist = tense arm? [Re: Saisho]
Zach_Zinn Offline
Veteran

Quote:

Where the error, as I see it, in the logic comes is in the role these muscles play in the workings of the elbow joint. It is true that any muscle that crosses a joint has an effect on the joint movement. However, the common flexors and extensors play only a minor role in elbow movement. In fact, when the fist is tight and the elbow bends,the common flexors and extensors get a little lax.

Wouldn't he boldened portion differ a bit depending on supination/pronation of the forearm and extension/flexion of the wrist though? In most puching these come into play as well don't they?

Hmmm...I figured they didn't play the same major role as biceps or brachialis, but I didn't think their colelctive effect on flexion of the elbow was that minor, though it make sense I suppose.

It still leads me to believe that for most folks the answer (and seemingly MA experience has backed this up) is that yes, you will be a bit slower if your fist is super tightly clenched prior to punching, perhaps not because of this specifically, maybe it is a sympathetic thing with tension elsewhere.

Anyway I wasn't trying to do anything weird with jargon or anything, my assumption was there are plenty of people on here with the background to know exactly what i'm talking about and roll with it, and maybe explain some stuff to me.

I don't think i'm offending anyone here by talking about it, there are certainly less productive threads!

Edited by Zach_Zinn (09/18/08 03:56 PM)

Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Cord, MattJ, Reiki, WhiteDragon11 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Ryukyu Art
Artifacts from the Ryukyu Kingdom missing since WWII. Visit www.ShisaLion.Org to view pictures

Best Stun Guns
Self Defense Products-stun guns, pepper spray, tasers and more

Surveillance 4U
Complete surveillance systems for covert operations or secure installation security

Asylum Images
Book presents photo tour of the Trans-Allegany Lunatic Asylum. A must if you're going to take a ghost tour!

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga