FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 27 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
TomRosenberg, jessylin, play, Keith_G, LeroyCFischer
22937 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
jwwmantis 2
Zombie Zero 1
Beefcake 1
LeroyCFischer 1
futsaowingchun 1
December
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30 31
New Topics
Freeing Hand-Wing Chun's last movements
by futsaowingchun
12/17/14 09:40 PM
2015 Master Yang Jwing-Ming Seminar
by jwwmantis
12/05/14 10:36 PM
The Beginners Guide To Stretching
by
12/27/06 11:43 AM
Your true goal
by
03/03/06 07:16 AM
Recent Posts
Freeing Hand-Wing Chun's last movements
by futsaowingchun
12/17/14 09:40 PM
Your true goal
by Beefcake
12/11/14 02:44 AM
The Beginners Guide To Stretching
by LeroyCFischer
12/04/14 02:07 AM
Forum Stats
22937 Members
36 Forums
35591 Topics
432526 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 5 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#405398 - 09/02/08 08:39 PM Re: Street fights and MMA [Re: Chen Zen]
BrianS Offline
Higher rank than you
Professional Poster

Loc: Northwest Arkansas
No, I don't suspect it would shake anyone up who is a seasoned martial artist or streetfighter.

Everything surrounding the fight might shake you up though. It would me.

#405399 - 09/03/08 11:05 AM Re: Street fights and MMA [Re: BrianS]
Chen Zen Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Ms
Quote:

Everything surrounding the fight might shake you up though. It would me.

Like what?

#405400 - 09/03/08 11:10 AM Re: Street fights and MMA [Re: Chen Zen]
MattJ Offline
Free Rhinoplasty!
Prolific

Loc: York PA. USA
The audience, the lights, the cage itself - all of it. Lots of fighters get flustered by those things.

#405401 - 09/03/08 11:14 AM Re: Street fights and MMA [Re: MattJ]
Chen Zen Offline
Professional Poster

Yeah I could understand that. Its not too much different than TMA tournament atmospheres though is it? Perhaps more audience but I would imagine that all that disappears the first time you get hit!

#405402 - 09/03/08 01:55 PM Re: Street fights and MMA [Re: Chen Zen]
Dereck Offline
Prolific

Loc: Great White North
I think it would be a "huge" difference then a TMA tournament atmosphere.

In TMA you are not training like you are training for a MMA fight. You do not know who you are fighting against and working a game plan to fight them. You are not getting into the shape that you would for a TMA fight. You are not going in for weigh ins and where all of the promotional hype is going on. There are mind games that are played by your opponent and by you. There is the build up for the fight. There is YOUR mind working things over and over and over preparing for the fight the whole time as well as prior to walking out. You have lights, cameras, video equipment, musics, MMA fans (like or dislike you; cheer or boo you) and so much more going on. TMA is nothing like that.

TMA while I got nervous prior to fighting for both TKD and Grappling, that would be a walk in the park compared to MMA.

It is very common to get pre fight jitters, a lot of people go through it. And after a while you get settled however then a big fight comes up and you go through it again. Mentally preparing is a huge part of MMA fighting. If you were nervous for any TMA fight you will think that it was a cake walk when you head out to that ring. I've heard this from many people and even when they were focused it still played a part of the game.

#405403 - 09/03/08 08:22 PM Re: Street fights and MMA [Re: Chen Zen]
BrianS Offline
Higher rank than you
Professional Poster

Loc: Northwest Arkansas
I don't think in TMA tournaments you'll have a bunch of drunk and beligerent people yelling YEEEAAHHH KICK THAT MF ers ASS!!!!! YEAH!!! WOOH!!

www.arkmma.com check the link for upcoming events.

WCL has applications on their website too if you are interested. Much better suited to your style of fighting.

#405404 - 09/04/08 10:35 AM Re: Street fights and MMA [Re: BrianS]
Chen Zen Offline
Professional Poster

Thanks Brian

Dereck, I would think that knowing exactly who your opponent was would make you more at ease than not knowing at all.

As for the crowd, didnt you ever have a fight in high school? At least at the tourney you dont personally know the crowd or the voices booing you. Get your a$$ kicked in front of two or three hundred people you have to see everyday or people you dont know? Better they dont know me.

As for the weigh in and meia and so on, thats just part of the hype machine. Thats too be expected, just like kids in school talk mess, same thing just on a larger scale.

#405405 - 09/04/08 11:38 AM Re: Street fights and MMA [Re: Chen Zen]
Tom2199 Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: England
Chen to be honest you arnt going to know who your fighting for the first 5-7 fights, after that they might give you a name but that's not exactly knowing someone. it can do quite the opposite knowing someone anyway, i got told i was fighting an ex European champion named mark lee for my first pro fight it didn't exactly instill confidence in me.

#405406 - 09/04/08 01:57 PM Re: Street fights and MMA [Re: Tom2199]
Dereck Offline
Prolific

Loc: Great White North
Agreed. On smaller scales I know for a fact that it is common to be given a fighters name and then to have it changed one or more times as it gets closer to the actual fight. And you really don't know who the fighter is in most cases, a name perhaps and what you can google or tid bits here and there. And it is not uncommon to get to the day and find the fighter doesn't show up or cannot fight and your fight is canceled. Or you will fight a person that doesn't make weight whether by intention or not and you have the choice to still fight or not; with of course them taken less of a purse.

On top of that you have to deal with promoters. You have to deal with getting paid very little. I would think that MMA is pretty standard for requirements as for your first fight you have to get a brain scan which in Canada is around $300, not sure how much in the US. That comes out of your pocket and could be your payout for the fight. And if you get knocked out or injured bad you will need to have another done prior to your next fight. This is all to cover their asses should you die or become a vegetable.

So all that while you are training to fight a particular fighter and trying to work on what you "think" is their strength. And again if the fighter changes then that strength could change as well.

I've also found that with constant focus you start thinking too much about the fight and the person you are fighting. Unlike TMA where you show up and fight unknowns, or perhaps people you know a little about, you don't get as worked up and you don't have to worry about knowing what they may or may not do; you just go in and do your thing and with myself I settle in after the first match. This is "one" fight for 3 rounds and unlike TMA this is much more brutal and again you may have to deal with prefight jitters or just shooting your load right out of the gate; especially common with first time fighters.

And then you have to deal with your mind in the ring; that can be your worst enemy. What you thought were your strengths are seeming to not have the affect you thought. Some how he seems faster, quicker. He's countering you and getting strikes in on you. Do you go gun ho or stick with the plan? Got to settle those nerves and get into a groove. Not feeling the pain ... good. Second round ... dang I can feel that a bit; got to get my breathing under control. Third round ... why won't this guy go down? I've been in here for an hour it seems. I'm tired, bleeding and sore ... come on go down already.

Lots to think about above and beyond the environment (lights, crowd, music, etc.). Nothing like TMA and nothing like a street fight.

#405407 - 09/05/08 05:57 PM Re: Street fights and MMA [Re: Dereck]
Chen Zen Offline
Professional Poster

Both good posts. We'll have to see how it goes, but its something I look forward to. I ont believe the crowd is going to bother or the fight itself, as they're both something Im used to. The days of forethought is a different matter, as Ive only been through that once and your right, it was quite nerve racking

Page 5 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  Cord, Fletch1, MattJ, Reiki 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Self Defense
Offering stun guns, pepper spray, tasers and other self defense products not available in stores.

Pepper Spray
Online distributor of self defense supplies like videos, stun guns, Tasers and more.

Spy Cameras
Surveillance, Hidden Cameras, Nanny Cams, Digital Recorders, Spy Equipment, Pocket DVR's and more

Stun Gun
Wholesale Directlhy to the Public! Stun gun and Taser Guns and personal protection products. Keep your loved ones at home safe!

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga