FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 19 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
LeroyCFischer, JadeKing, Beefcake, WesJones, simonajones111
22933 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
futsaowingchun 2
charlie 2
William_Bent 1
simonajones111 1
GojuRyuboy13 1
November
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
New Topics
unrecognized kata
by William_Bent
11/19/14 07:05 PM
I gained a lot of month in the last few months
by simonajones111
11/19/14 04:54 AM
Siu Lin Tao-3rd section applications
by futsaowingchun
11/13/14 06:48 PM
Screen fighting course UK December 2014
by charlie
11/11/14 04:09 PM
Siu Lin Tao-1st section Pak Sao explanations
by futsaowingchun
11/09/14 10:30 PM
I spy kata bunkai..
by GojuRyuboy13
10/29/14 08:28 AM
The Karate punch
by Matakiant
10/30/13 07:41 AM
Where Are They Now?
by Dobbersky
05/30/13 08:08 AM
MA style video library
by
03/22/06 03:18 PM
Recent Posts
unrecognized kata
by William_Bent
11/19/14 07:05 PM
I gained a lot of month in the last few months
by simonajones111
11/19/14 04:54 AM
Siu Lin Tao-3rd section applications
by futsaowingchun
11/13/14 06:48 PM
Screen fighting course UK December 2014
by charlie
11/11/14 04:09 PM
MA style video library
by charlie
11/11/14 04:05 PM
Siu Lin Tao-1st section Pak Sao explanations
by futsaowingchun
11/09/14 10:30 PM
The Karate punch
by Matakiant
10/29/14 10:01 PM
I spy kata bunkai..
by GojuRyuboy13
10/29/14 08:28 AM
Forum Stats
22933 Members
36 Forums
35589 Topics
432521 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 4 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#405388 - 08/26/08 03:57 PM Re: Street fights and MMA [Re: BrianS]
Dereck Offline
Prolific

Loc: Great White North
Is that why Oldman is missing?

#405389 - 08/26/08 04:10 PM Re: Street fights and MMA [Re: Dereck]
BrianS Offline
Higher rank than you
Professional Poster

Loc: Northwest Arkansas
Quote:

Is that why Oldman is missing?

You know, i've been wondering where he is.

Maybe the ads won't let him access the forums unless he buys some of those damn reeboks!!

#405390 - 08/26/08 04:21 PM Re: Street fights and MMA [Re: BrianS]
Cord Offline
Prolific

Loc: Cambridge UK.
oldman is a very 'good karma' kind of guy- he has taken a back seat from the forums before when they got all hissy and overwhelmingly negative. His absence this time round coincided with all the hysteria about the adds and various people falling on their virtual swords.
I am sure he will return when we all get a teeny bit more constructive and happy

#405391 - 08/27/08 09:10 AM Re: Street fights and MMA [Re: Cord]
Tom2199 Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: England
Street fights can be very broad if you ask me, its not all eye gouging, groin stomping scrambling around on the floor fighting for your lives.

All of the people iv been in a street fight with did not want to kill me just appose their dominance and feel good about themselves by injuring someone with a sucker punch.

Fortunately im an aggressive, focused boxer i pretty much switch on like a light from a calm individual to the drill Sargent from full metal jacket. Thats something that Muay Thai and MMA training in the ring has given me. You have to be hungry and aggressive to win fights i say this because iv sat back and counter punched and lost fights when iv clearly outscored them. Mental Toughness is what breaks the other man in my opinion, and when fatigue sets in you really get to see who wants it more.

Oh and another thing id just like to say is, street fights are easy (all the ones iv been in are) simply because your opponents are not trained or ready for what you have for them.

#405392 - 08/29/08 12:09 PM Re: Street fights and MMA [Re: Tom2199]
Chen Zen Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Ms
Dereck misread the intent of this post as well. I didnt post because" I have tons of unbeaten streetfights so I think I can beat Silva".

Wrong. I train MMA and o so very well, thats why I think I can beat silva.

I simply said, in the other topic, that to me a street fight is going to be more difficult and more dangerous which is why I posted this new thread here.

I stand by my view.

Thanks to all

#405393 - 08/29/08 06:30 PM Re: Street fights and MMA [Re: Chen Zen]
Dereck Offline
Prolific

Loc: Great White North
Sorry Chen. I figured that this thread was started due to the previous thread in conjunction with these comments:

Quote:

Also I wonder how many fights has he had outside of the gym or ring? Ive had plenty, and theres not a person in the world who can say they beat me. Which would give me reason to believe that I would be a more "professional fighter" than someone who has only fought under the constructs of competition despite my short "MMA Career".

Quote:

How can I think that I could beat Anderson? Easy. Ive got plenty of fights under my belt, rather they were sanctioned MMA fights or not, a fight is a fight

Again, I don't believe for one moment that street fighting is going to be more difficult then a MMA bought and I've already stated for the record why. Now as for dangerous, yes street fighting has the potential for sure because of many variables; no question.

If a knife or gun or another weapon is involved; sure it is more dangerous. Multiple attackers can definitely be more dangerous. And the environment can also be more potentially dangerous however with adrenalin how hard the ground is whether gravel or cement rarely play a factor till later unless you are dropped on your head which remarkably has the same effect while in the ring.

We are not arguing these as I think these are given. However I ask of you Chen, of your street fighting experience you've stated "not a person can say they beat you". I am assuming from this they were one on one encounters as I think we would all agree vary rarely will a person survive an attack by more then one person. And I can assume that weapons were not used or if any involvement very rare and ineffectively used by people that had no clue how to use them as you are still with us. So to me this means just a straight out brawl of dominance between probably less skilled or people with no skill at all. These hardly would transfer over to being a successful MMA fighter.

I know, you stand by your view. I would be interested if you ever start training and do get a chance to fight in the ring if that will change? That can be the only true test because until that happens it is just here say.

#405394 - 09/01/08 05:14 PM Re: Street fights and MMA [Re: Dereck]
Chen Zen Offline
Professional Poster

Dereck,

One on one, I havent been beaten, correct. However, I have been jumped several times, and suffered several injuries. I one point I was even gutted. And I see what your saying about it not being conditioned MMA fighters, however, not every guy you fight outside of the ring is untalented and out of shape.

A MMA fight is timed, against someone of your weight class, and there is no surprise. You start facing each other and you know he is going to attack. After 3-5 minutes He HAS to STOP. He HAS to do what the ref says.

Very little to none of that is true for the street. He may be a foot taller and 100 pounds heavier. He may blindside you, and he may not stop until he kills you or seriously injures you. He may have friends or weapons or both as well.

Ive been in small scrapes and Ive had all out wars. Ive fought junkies, home intruders and even other MA'S. So the consistancy may be less, but personally Im going to feel safer in the ring. And I have fought competition as well, though not in a cage so Ive experienced the difference. Of all The MA fights Ive had and street fights Ive been into the worst one besides being gutted came from a home intruder high on heroin. I beat the guy down four times before the cops arrived because he just kept coming. I nearly killed him, I broke several ribs, slipped a disk in his back and gave him a very serious concussion. Through all of that he kept coming. It wasnt until the police turned on my street that he even attempted to leave.

Thats just to give you a little perspective on my POV.

#405395 - 09/01/08 08:21 PM Re: Street fights and MMA [Re: Chen Zen]
Spade Offline

Loc: Auburn, Al.
I think what you're basically saying is you believe you will be comfortable in the ring, because of your previous fighting experience?

#405396 - 09/02/08 03:11 AM Re: Street fights and MMA [Re: Chen Zen]
BrianS Offline
Higher rank than you
Professional Poster

Loc: Northwest Arkansas
Sounds like to me you should have just shot the junkie,lol.

I think most of us get your pov,but I don't think fighting on the streets translates to a good cagefighter. Every case is different. Atleast you won't have that shock of being hit for the first time and not know what to do,lol, I love that part about teaching.

#405397 - 09/02/08 06:55 PM Re: Street fights and MMA [Re: BrianS]
Chen Zen Offline
Professional Poster

Your right Brian, streetfighting does not make you a good MMA fighter, but there are some things that are going to transfer from one to the other and I believe that at least having the experiences I have will make it a comfortable transition. After surviving the types of things that I have seen and been through, a simple punch or kick in a controlled enviroment isnt going to shake me up.

Page 4 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  Cord, Fletch1, MattJ, Reiki 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Ryukyu Art
Artifacts from the Ryukyu Kingdom missing since WWII. Visit www.ShisaLion.Org to view pictures

Best Stun Guns
Self Defense Products-stun guns, pepper spray, tasers and more

Surveillance 4U
Complete surveillance systems for covert operations or secure installation security

Asylum Images
Book presents photo tour of the Trans-Allegany Lunatic Asylum. A must if you're going to take a ghost tour!

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga