FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 36 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Bartfast, ZapEm, AndyLA, danacohenn, ksusanc
22906 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Dobbersky 6
AndyLA 5
Ed_Morris 4
futsaowingchun 3
ergees 2
August
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
New Topics
Biu Tzu- Snake hand strike
by futsaowingchun
Yesterday at 09:02 PM
Chum Kiu 2nd section applications
by futsaowingchun
08/20/14 09:54 PM
2013 World Championship Rio: The Gallery (HD)
by ergees
08/19/14 05:22 AM
Chi Sao demonstration
by futsaowingchun
08/14/14 10:57 PM
Decent Fight channel
by FrankyFruits
08/07/14 09:19 PM
2014 European Championships Cadets Athens: Videos
by ergees
08/07/14 10:00 AM
Life goes on....
by Dobbersky
08/07/14 05:59 AM
An open letter to bunkai researchers...
by Bartfast
08/05/14 04:18 PM
ITF TaeKwonDo or Shotokan Karate????
by Dobbersky
07/10/14 07:14 AM
The Karate punch
by Matakiant
10/30/13 07:41 AM
Recent Posts
Biu Tzu- Snake hand strike
by futsaowingchun
Yesterday at 09:02 PM
An open letter to bunkai researchers...
by Ed_Morris
08/26/14 09:58 PM
The Karate punch
by Ed_Morris
08/26/14 09:27 PM
Chum Kiu 2nd section applications
by futsaowingchun
08/20/14 09:54 PM
2013 World Championship Rio: The Gallery (HD)
by ergees
08/19/14 05:22 AM
ITF TaeKwonDo or Shotokan Karate????
by VDJ
08/15/14 05:46 PM
Chi Sao demonstration
by futsaowingchun
08/14/14 10:57 PM
** Introduce Yourself! **
by Dobbersky
08/11/14 05:03 AM
Decent Fight channel
by FrankyFruits
08/07/14 09:19 PM
2014 European Championships Cadets Athens: Videos
by ergees
08/07/14 10:00 AM
Forum Stats
22906 Members
36 Forums
35572 Topics
432478 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#404439 - 08/26/08 10:35 AM Re: breathing in thru nose or mouth - does it matt [Re: puffadder]
student_of_life Offline
Veteran

Loc: Newfoundland, Canada
i've always herd this from martial arts exponents. and then a biology professor i had in college laughs at me and says one of the major benifets of being a human being is having the ability to breath in through both the nose and mouth at the same time, kind of seemed a litte weird to me to even be talking about it with a biology prof. he said that animals can take in more air at once by breathing through both their nose and mouth at the same time, so its more efficient to use them both becase more air intake means more oxygen circulating in your blood, means better conditions for your muscles to work hard and for longer.

take it for what it's worth, maybe he was yanking my leg. but i've had my leg pulled by more "martial arts experts" then "college biology prof's".

and just to play devil's advocate, if you have to slow down when your running becaus eof fatigue, dosen't that mean you just need to be in better shape? how would taking in less air at a time improve your cardiovascular "strength"? i mean, if you slow down to a pace thats confortable, your not working as hard? and over time you'll build up endurance to run at a faster pace?

i just don't buy into this breathing stuff in the martial arts. exhale when you hit, and try not to suck air to hard because its a tell. that seems like all you really need to know, but then again i'm just crazy.

#404440 - 08/26/08 12:37 PM Re: breathing in thru nose or mouth - does it matt [Re: student_of_life]
puffadder Offline

Loc: UK
Quote:

and just to play devil's advocate, if you have to slow down when your running becaus eof fatigue, dosen't that mean you just need to be in better shape? how would taking in less air at a time improve your cardiovascular "strength"

That is the point. Generally the cardiovascular endurance gives out before leg or arm endurance so you slow down because you're out of breath not because legs are aching. This way trains the CV system by reducing the workload and heart rate to a rate that you can handle then gradually you learn to increase the workload while still nose breathing and so keeping the HR relatively low. I don't know all the science of how it works but it really does. Before you knock it give it a try for a week or two. It's done wonders for my stamina.

#404441 - 08/26/08 09:01 PM Re: breathing in thru nose or mouth - does it matt [Re: puffadder]
student_of_life Offline
Veteran

Loc: Newfoundland, Canada
im not knocking you, just trying to have a conversation, lol.

think about this then. if you take in more air each breath, you can push your body further becaus emore oxygen is getting to your musles, like your heart and diaphram so they can get stronger faster, through HIIT training. for short explosive bursts of energy like sprinting you can get more bang for your buck and fill your lngs faster. would you rather breath through a pin whole or a open mouth. i have asthema, and its a huge pain in the arse and when i suck wind after a session of sprints i don't even think and it just comes in through my mouth. my windpipe closes off and breathing through my nose get me as much as as breathing through a straw, if i use my mouth i can get a bit more.

besides, deeper breaths mean the muscle is working through a greater range, expanding to its maximum and working the whole time, meaning it gets stronger. when you do a sit up, you come all the way up, why only come up 6 inches? you want strength through the entire contraction of the muscle.

more air per breath and you can fill your lungs faster. i've always snickered (on the inside, lol) at karate instrustors for telling me to breath in through my nose and out through my mouth. maybe it's an asthema thing, but i doubt it.

#404442 - 08/30/08 02:49 AM Re: breathing in thru nose or mouth - does it matt [Re: student_of_life]
VietPanda Offline

Thanx for your replies, I'll try out each one

#404443 - 08/30/08 04:10 AM Re: breathing in thru nose or mouth - does it matt [Re: VietPanda]
puffadder Offline

Loc: UK
student-of-life
As an asthma sufferer you should definitely try it. I have taught several asthma sufferers this and they have all reported significant reduction in their symptoms.
As has been stated before breathing in through the nose filters and warms the air thus removing some of the impurities that may be adding to your asthma problem.
Obviously this will mean significantly reducing your exercise intensity in the short term but the long term effects of bringing the symptoms under greater control and greatly increasing your endurance levels can't be over emphasised.

Try not to think about the quantity of air you take in but the quality of air and the amount of air your breathing organs are able to process. I suggest you're currently overloading them on a regular basis and that's putting your whole body under stress.

#404444 - 10/16/08 09:35 AM Re: breathing in thru nose or mouth - does it matt [Re: DeadlyKnuckles]
Ilove2Hit Offline

Loc: Athens, Greece
what if u WANNA look like a fish outta water??

agree. through your nose!

#404445 - 10/16/08 06:00 PM Re: breathing in thru nose or mouth - does it matt [Re: puffadder]
Ronin1966 Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: East Coast, United States
Hello Puffadder:

<<I have taught several asthma sufferers this and they have all reported significant reduction in their symptoms.

There are several different kinds of asthma, correct? Did all those folks have the "exercise induced" type?

Jeff

#404446 - 06/16/09 01:32 AM Re: breathing in thru nose or mouth - does it matt [Re: Ronin1966]
SifuHax Offline

Loc: Westfield, New Jersey
I hear deep controlled breathe through the nose only, with your tongue against the roof of your mouth and teeth touching helps internal chi flow and it makes your head more like a helmet.

#420678 - 07/08/09 04:55 PM Re: breathing in thru nose or mouth - does it matt [Re: VietPanda]
ThunderinJoe Offline

The type of mouthpiece I use allows me to disperse impact as well as a breath, their is a small hole in the front of the mouthpiece. The mouthpiece is made by Everlast and according to them it is designed to function better than a traditional mouthpiece. I began my athletic career nose breathing and I did fine. I could see it being a psychological factor, as far as, perhaps a control issue? The best way to control your breathing is control your mind, relax. Get to know your body and you will learn to breathe. I prefer breathing the deepest breathe I can I can manage, into my belly from both my mouth and my nose, if I find myself not breathing thats when how goes out the window, always breathe.

#420957 - 07/20/09 10:37 AM Re: breathing in thru nose or mouth - does it matt [Re: ThunderinJoe]
karl314285 Offline

Loc: The Matrix, Serif is Teacher
Hi,

distinctly breathing through mouth is...how you say??...invite for multiple pureed meals, if habit in sparring translates to chance "abrasive" encounter on street (unless preparing to bite).

However as for cardio training...when Grandmaster Dong was in Ironman He ran 100 MILES non stop once every month in less than 23 hrs as well as running Pikes peak Up/down and up again several times...
Pitiful me...ran with him a few times (not far smile ) and the first time he was watching...you can see this coming...

Master said "inhale with BOTH nose and mouth...learn"...
From a Person who could run 100 miles non-stop and told me the importance of fresh batteries in flashlight when running up and down a mountian....well, there you go.

Peace. Karl.

Edited by karl314285 (07/20/09 10:39 AM)

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Cord, MattJ, Reiki, WhiteDragon11 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Self Defense
Offering stun guns, pepper spray, tasers and other self defense products not available in stores.

Pepper Spray
Online distributor of self defense supplies like videos, stun guns, Tasers and more.

Spy Cameras
Surveillance, Hidden Cameras, Nanny Cams, Digital Recorders, Spy Equipment, Pocket DVR's and more

Stun Gun
Wholesale Directlhy to the Public! Stun gun and Taser Guns and personal protection products. Keep your loved ones at home safe!

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga