FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 34 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
old1, Leonar, ManLar, Vimido, raya
22925 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
futsaowingchun 4
Ronin1966 3
Victor Smith 1
swordy 1
AndyLA 1
October
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
New Topics
The Classic Pak Sao drill
by futsaowingchun
Yesterday at 10:32 AM
wing chun kicks and knees
by futsaowingchun
10/09/14 12:55 AM
2014 European Championships Juniors: the Gallery
by ergees
10/05/14 10:56 AM
Tan,Bong,Fuk & Wu Sao
by futsaowingchun
09/30/14 12:10 AM
Living a full life violence free...
by GojuRyuboy13
09/25/14 08:50 AM
Wing Chun-internal training
by futsaowingchun
09/23/14 09:01 PM
Martial News
by Matakiant
09/23/14 06:42 AM
An open letter to bunkai researchers...
by Bartfast
08/05/14 04:18 PM
The Karate punch
by Matakiant
10/30/13 07:41 AM
Leo's Judo Journal
by Leo_E_49
01/24/12 02:58 AM
Recent Posts
The Classic Pak Sao drill
by futsaowingchun
Yesterday at 10:32 AM
Leo's Judo Journal
by swordy
10/11/14 09:21 AM
Living a full life violence free...
by cxt
10/10/14 10:08 AM
The Karate punch
by Ronin1966
10/09/14 03:16 PM
wing chun kicks and knees
by futsaowingchun
10/09/14 12:55 AM
An open letter to bunkai researchers...
by Ronin1966
10/08/14 09:22 PM
2014 European Championships Juniors: the Gallery
by ergees
10/05/14 10:56 AM
** Introduce Yourself! **
by AndyLA
10/04/14 10:20 AM
Tan,Bong,Fuk & Wu Sao
by futsaowingchun
09/30/14 12:10 AM
Wing Chun-internal training
by futsaowingchun
09/23/14 09:01 PM
Forum Stats
22925 Members
36 Forums
35582 Topics
432509 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#404429 - 08/12/08 10:42 AM breathing in thru nose or mouth - does it matter?
VietPanda Offline

I find it easier to use the mouth to breathe both in and out
Is there a difference?
Thanx

#404430 - 08/12/08 11:22 AM Re: breathing in thru nose or mouth - does it matter? [Re: VietPanda]
MattJ Offline
Free Rhinoplasty!
Prolific

Loc: York PA. USA
Yes. Open mouth breathing makes it easier for the opponent to knock you out, break your jaw, and make you bite your own tongue.

#404431 - 08/12/08 08:53 PM Re: breathing in thru nose or mouth - does it matter? [Re: MattJ]
DeadlyKnuckles Offline

Loc: United States, Florida
Breathing through your nose is more efficient and healthier than breathing through your mouth. Not to mention you won't look like a fish out of water.

It takes a while to get used to breathing through the nose if you're naturally a mouth breather, but it's worth it.

#404432 - 08/12/08 10:11 PM Re: breathing in thru nose or mouth - does it matter? [Re: DeadlyKnuckles]
Saisho Offline
more than just a pretty face

Loc: Dayton, Ohio
Breathing through the nose also allows the hairs to properly filter the air and the blood vessels/mucous membrane to properly moisten the air and get it to the right temperature. It prevents respiratory infection and bronchitis.

#404433 - 08/13/08 12:29 AM Re: breathing in thru nose or mouth - does it matt [Re: Saisho]
TheCrab Offline
Scum

Loc: QLD Australia
I didnt know any of that.

cool.

#404434 - 08/13/08 03:50 AM Re: breathing in thru nose or mouth - does it matt [Re: TheCrab]
duanew Offline

Loc: MN
If you breath out of your nose during cold season you end up with snot all over your face:)
More important -where are you brething from-the chest or the belly?

#404435 - 08/13/08 03:56 AM Re: breathing in thru nose or mouth - does it matt [Re: duanew]
TheCrab Offline
Scum

Loc: QLD Australia
..the lungs I think lol

#404436 - 08/18/08 06:31 AM Re: breathing in thru nose or mouth - does it matt [Re: TheCrab]
ThomsonsPier Offline

Loc: Reading, UK
Quote:

..the lungs I think lol

The lungs' expansion and contraction is controlled by the movement of the intercostal muscles and the diaphragm. Of these, the diaphragm is by far the more powerful and can be controlled to a much greater degree by engaging the stomach muscles. This is why breathing from the core brings in so much energy; it means that you're pulling in more oxygen / expelling more carbon dioxide per breath and not wearing the chest out whilst doing so. It tones the stomach, too.

War. It's fan-tastic!

#404437 - 08/18/08 07:02 AM Re: breathing in thru nose or mouth - does it matt [Re: ThomsonsPier]
puffadder Offline

Loc: UK
More amazingly you can dramatically increase your cardiovascular endurance through nose breathing.

Choose an exercise eg running or cycling and only breathe through your nose. When you get to a point where you feel you need to breathe through your mouth then SLOW DOWN to a point where you need only breathe through your nose again. Gradually you will find you can go faster and faster nose breathing only and more quickly than you think you will be exercising at the same intensity you used to with a major difference - your perceived exertion will be much lower ie you will find that you can run at your old speed with virtually no apparent effort. Instead of puffing away it will seem like a walk in the park.

Nose breathing rules ok.

#404438 - 08/18/08 11:08 AM Re: breathing in thru nose or mouth - does it matt [Re: ThomsonsPier]
duanew Offline

Loc: MN
Quote:

Quote:

..the lungs I think lol

The lungs' expansion and contraction is controlled by the movement of the intercostal muscles and the diaphragm. Of these, the diaphragm is by far the more powerful and can be controlled to a much greater degree by engaging the stomach muscles. This is why breathing from the core brings in so much energy; it means that you're pulling in more oxygen / expelling more carbon dioxide per breath and not wearing the chest out whilst doing so. It tones the stomach, too.

My point exactly-Guinness? Fond memories of the pub called the Shepards Inn (I think) a few blocks west of the British Museum. I envy anyone who gets to live in London.

#404439 - 08/26/08 10:35 AM Re: breathing in thru nose or mouth - does it matt [Re: puffadder]
student_of_life Offline
Veteran

Loc: Newfoundland, Canada
i've always herd this from martial arts exponents. and then a biology professor i had in college laughs at me and says one of the major benifets of being a human being is having the ability to breath in through both the nose and mouth at the same time, kind of seemed a litte weird to me to even be talking about it with a biology prof. he said that animals can take in more air at once by breathing through both their nose and mouth at the same time, so its more efficient to use them both becase more air intake means more oxygen circulating in your blood, means better conditions for your muscles to work hard and for longer.

take it for what it's worth, maybe he was yanking my leg. but i've had my leg pulled by more "martial arts experts" then "college biology prof's".

and just to play devil's advocate, if you have to slow down when your running becaus eof fatigue, dosen't that mean you just need to be in better shape? how would taking in less air at a time improve your cardiovascular "strength"? i mean, if you slow down to a pace thats confortable, your not working as hard? and over time you'll build up endurance to run at a faster pace?

i just don't buy into this breathing stuff in the martial arts. exhale when you hit, and try not to suck air to hard because its a tell. that seems like all you really need to know, but then again i'm just crazy.

#404440 - 08/26/08 12:37 PM Re: breathing in thru nose or mouth - does it matt [Re: student_of_life]
puffadder Offline

Quote:

and just to play devil's advocate, if you have to slow down when your running becaus eof fatigue, dosen't that mean you just need to be in better shape? how would taking in less air at a time improve your cardiovascular "strength"

That is the point. Generally the cardiovascular endurance gives out before leg or arm endurance so you slow down because you're out of breath not because legs are aching. This way trains the CV system by reducing the workload and heart rate to a rate that you can handle then gradually you learn to increase the workload while still nose breathing and so keeping the HR relatively low. I don't know all the science of how it works but it really does. Before you knock it give it a try for a week or two. It's done wonders for my stamina.

#404441 - 08/26/08 09:01 PM Re: breathing in thru nose or mouth - does it matt [Re: puffadder]
student_of_life Offline
Veteran

Loc: Newfoundland, Canada
im not knocking you, just trying to have a conversation, lol.

think about this then. if you take in more air each breath, you can push your body further becaus emore oxygen is getting to your musles, like your heart and diaphram so they can get stronger faster, through HIIT training. for short explosive bursts of energy like sprinting you can get more bang for your buck and fill your lngs faster. would you rather breath through a pin whole or a open mouth. i have asthema, and its a huge pain in the arse and when i suck wind after a session of sprints i don't even think and it just comes in through my mouth. my windpipe closes off and breathing through my nose get me as much as as breathing through a straw, if i use my mouth i can get a bit more.

besides, deeper breaths mean the muscle is working through a greater range, expanding to its maximum and working the whole time, meaning it gets stronger. when you do a sit up, you come all the way up, why only come up 6 inches? you want strength through the entire contraction of the muscle.

more air per breath and you can fill your lungs faster. i've always snickered (on the inside, lol) at karate instrustors for telling me to breath in through my nose and out through my mouth. maybe it's an asthema thing, but i doubt it.

#404442 - 08/30/08 02:49 AM Re: breathing in thru nose or mouth - does it matt [Re: student_of_life]
VietPanda Offline

Thanx for your replies, I'll try out each one

#404443 - 08/30/08 04:10 AM Re: breathing in thru nose or mouth - does it matt [Re: VietPanda]
puffadder Offline

student-of-life
As an asthma sufferer you should definitely try it. I have taught several asthma sufferers this and they have all reported significant reduction in their symptoms.
As has been stated before breathing in through the nose filters and warms the air thus removing some of the impurities that may be adding to your asthma problem.
Obviously this will mean significantly reducing your exercise intensity in the short term but the long term effects of bringing the symptoms under greater control and greatly increasing your endurance levels can't be over emphasised.

Try not to think about the quantity of air you take in but the quality of air and the amount of air your breathing organs are able to process. I suggest you're currently overloading them on a regular basis and that's putting your whole body under stress.

#404444 - 10/16/08 09:35 AM Re: breathing in thru nose or mouth - does it matt [Re: DeadlyKnuckles]
Ilove2Hit Offline

Loc: Athens, Greece
what if u WANNA look like a fish outta water??

agree. through your nose!

#404445 - 10/16/08 06:00 PM Re: breathing in thru nose or mouth - does it matt [Re: puffadder]
Ronin1966 Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: East Coast, United States
Hello Puffadder:

<<I have taught several asthma sufferers this and they have all reported significant reduction in their symptoms.

There are several different kinds of asthma, correct? Did all those folks have the "exercise induced" type?

Jeff

#404446 - 06/16/09 01:32 AM Re: breathing in thru nose or mouth - does it matt [Re: Ronin1966]
SifuHax Offline

Loc: Westfield, New Jersey
I hear deep controlled breathe through the nose only, with your tongue against the roof of your mouth and teeth touching helps internal chi flow and it makes your head more like a helmet.

#420678 - 07/08/09 04:55 PM Re: breathing in thru nose or mouth - does it matt [Re: VietPanda]
ThunderinJoe Offline

The type of mouthpiece I use allows me to disperse impact as well as a breath, their is a small hole in the front of the mouthpiece. The mouthpiece is made by Everlast and according to them it is designed to function better than a traditional mouthpiece. I began my athletic career nose breathing and I did fine. I could see it being a psychological factor, as far as, perhaps a control issue? The best way to control your breathing is control your mind, relax. Get to know your body and you will learn to breathe. I prefer breathing the deepest breathe I can I can manage, into my belly from both my mouth and my nose, if I find myself not breathing thats when how goes out the window, always breathe.

#420957 - 07/20/09 10:37 AM Re: breathing in thru nose or mouth - does it matt [Re: ThunderinJoe]
karl314285 Offline

Loc: The Matrix, Serif is Teacher
Hi,

distinctly breathing through mouth is...how you say??...invite for multiple pureed meals, if habit in sparring translates to chance "abrasive" encounter on street (unless preparing to bite).

However as for cardio training...when Grandmaster Dong was in Ironman He ran 100 MILES non stop once every month in less than 23 hrs as well as running Pikes peak Up/down and up again several times...
Pitiful me...ran with him a few times (not far smile ) and the first time he was watching...you can see this coming...

Master said "inhale with BOTH nose and mouth...learn"...
From a Person who could run 100 miles non-stop and told me the importance of fresh batteries in flashlight when running up and down a mountian....well, there you go.

Peace. Karl.

Edited by karl314285 (07/20/09 10:39 AM)

#421019 - 07/22/09 04:00 PM Re: breathing in thru nose or mouth - does it matt [Re: karl314285]
WarblyDoo Offline

Loc: Vancouver, Canada
Breathing is a consistent topic of conversation in martial arts. Several good reasons for nose breathing have already been put forth, I will list them below as well as a few that I am aware of.

- The nose is a natural filter which filters out dust and other particles to prevent bronchial and other infections.
- Breathing through the nose and hence sinuses better warms the air which assists in preventing cramping in cooler weather.
- Breathing through the nose also slows the breathing which tends to result in deeper breaths than the short gasping breaths we are prone to when mouth breathing. Deeper breathing better oxygenates the blood because we fill the lungs to greater capacity this means you actually need less breaths to get the same amount of oxygen in the blood.
- Breathing in through the mouth relaxes the jaw which can result in loose mouthguards, broken jaws and knockouts. If you think you can breathe in through your mouth without unclenching the teeth give it a try, the airflow is similar to the nose and you tend to just get a lot of saliva and lip flapping.

So now if we work under the above assumptions for why we inhale through the nose lets see why we want to exhale through the mouth.
- Rapid expulsion of breath is important for absorbing strikes when we are hit and generation of force when we hit.
- Clearing the carbon dioxide from our body is paramount during vigourous activity to make room for more air, so we get rid of it via the quickest mechanism.
- Breathing out through the mouth has no impact on the depth of breathing as if we have already inhaled through the nose properly exhaling will occur from the entire lung.
- If we breathe out through our nose the sinus cavity will retain a portion of that exhaust breath which we would otherwise have expelled through our mouth so cycling the breath results in reduced CO2 intake which each subsequent breath.

So cycling the breathing in through the nose and out through the mouth provides the best combination between the benefits of nose breathing and the rapidity of mouth breathing.

A corallory to this is Yoga breathing. I was recently discussing this with my instructor as she teaches to breathe in and out through the nose while I am teaching my students to cycle their breath.

She pointed me to this website, YogaToHealth, I had expected this to give me contradictory information to what traditional martial arts teaches. Surprisingly their reasons for exhaling through the nose are the same as our reasons for exhaling through the mouth. Firstly nose breathing forces you to control your breath which is vital in Yoga training. Secondly they use nose breathing to ensure that the balance of CO2 in the blood is maintained which makes sense given the low intensity nature of their workout while martial arts being higher intensity requires us to expel a lot more CO2. The reasoning behind this is clear if you understand how your body regulates breath. Our body has no sense of how much oxygen is in our blood. Breath is regulated based on the levels of CO2. This is why deep sea free divers who intentionally hyperventilate prior to a dive have been known to just pass out and drown. They have very little CO2 in their blood and hence do not feel the urge to breathe and go farther than they are actually able.

So while in Yoga they use pure nose breathing to regulate breath and we use cycled in through the nose and out through the mouth breath for the same reasons there is little reason to breathe entirely through the mouth except when your diminished lung capacity due to injury, exhaustion, disability such as asthma demands it of you, definitely not something you want to train. That is unless you are not overly attached to your teeth or the feeling of being conscious.

My instructor used to say that there is a reason we say we need to catch our breath. It's because it's gotten away from us and we are no longer in control. Martial arts is all about control.

#421868 - 08/25/09 09:29 PM Re: breathing in thru nose or mouth - does it matt [Re: WarblyDoo]
karl314285 Offline

Loc: The Matrix, Serif is Teacher
Hi,

yeah...dead topic...train open mouth breathing during sparring leads to BAADD habit sparring or street (how you practice is how you perform) open mouth allow MD to insert wires:)

As to being out of breath breathing via nares due to allowing breath to get away from you....too true.

So how????Train to spar/fight RELAXED, this is a MENTAL issue most new to being attacked or (More intimidating, and GOOD training) sparring a higher rank who highly outclasses one (This is where IMHO BOXING and Grappling are great).

Get on ones proverbial bike (or Jab like a machine ) and learns to relax under stress.

This can be extrapolated...my fear of heights, 30M platform in college, and skydiving both are terrifying to me, yet I did them, platform no relaxed training all gone immense pain, pass advanced freefall training, no jumpmasters to help and you go to reserve shoot, costly and probably still broken bones (if not dying of hemorrhage).

Find what terrifies and learn to relax breathing thru nose....Spar and POUND bag work MOUTH closed...

Whats the worst??you die scared frozen and tense...:)

RELAX...by training to relax

Karl. Pranayama mama jama whama, see ya bawana.

Edited by karl314285 (08/25/09 09:32 PM)

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Cord, MattJ, Reiki, WhiteDragon11 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Fight Videos
Night club fight footage and street fights captured with the world's first bouncer spy cam

How to Matrix!
Learn ten times faster with new training method. Learn entire arts for as little as $10 per disk.

Self Defense
Stun guns, pepper spray, Mace and self defense products. Alarms for personal and home use.

TASER MC26C
Stop An Urban Gorilla: Get 2 FREE TASER M26C Replacement Air Cartridges With Each New TASER M26C!

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga