FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 42 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
AndyLA, danacohenn, ksusanc, kellypnik123, leyinn
22904 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Dobbersky 15
cxt 8
trevek 6
futsaowingchun 3
JKogas 2
August
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
New Topics
Applied center line theory
by futsaowingchun
07/28/14 08:55 AM
centerline concepts
by futsaowingchun
07/14/14 10:49 PM
language of syllabus
by trevek
07/11/14 03:36 PM
ITF TaeKwonDo or Shotokan Karate????
by Dobbersky
07/10/14 07:14 AM
Anderson Silva - Leg Break
by Dobbersky
12/30/13 08:32 AM
Where Are They Now?
by Dobbersky
05/30/13 08:08 AM
Gi or no Gi Grappling?
by Prizewriter
04/16/12 02:48 PM
MMA - A passing Fad
by Dobbersky
04/12/12 11:16 AM
Throwing
by
04/23/05 10:58 PM
Recent Posts
ITF TaeKwonDo or Shotokan Karate????
by cxt
Today at 12:01 PM
Gi or no Gi Grappling?
by Dobbersky
07/29/14 05:11 AM
Applied center line theory
by futsaowingchun
07/28/14 08:55 AM
centerline concepts
by futsaowingchun
07/28/14 08:53 AM
language of syllabus
by trevek
07/14/14 04:50 PM
MMA - A passing Fad
by Dobbersky
07/10/14 07:35 AM
Anderson Silva - Leg Break
by Dobbersky
07/09/14 06:13 AM
Throwing
by JKogas
07/03/14 07:40 PM
Forum Stats
22904 Members
36 Forums
35564 Topics
432457 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#403119 - 07/26/08 11:28 AM Staffs -n- Stuff
DeadlyKnuckles Offline

Loc: United States, Florida
A few months ago, I bought the following staff from Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/72-Hardwood-Staff-...7091&sr=1-1

While it was indeed a nice staff, it's too heavy to wield swiftly and smoothly. So, I was wondering if anyone can recommend me any good staff sellers or possibly, better staffs on Amazon.

What I'm looking for:

Length - 5 to 6 feet.
Diameter - Nothing too thin.
Material - Anything but wax wood and metal.
Taper - No tapered ends if possible.

#403120 - 07/26/08 11:55 AM Re: Staffs -n- Stuff [Re: DeadlyKnuckles]
puffadder Offline

Loc: UK
That looks like the kind of staff we use in our classes which we get from our local stockist http://www.kiksports.co.uk/kik_5/kik_files/big_weapons_page/weap_1/bo_multcart.htm.

It's a good weapon, heavy enough and thick enough to develop upper body and particularly grip strength. I know many classes favour lighter staffs but we prefer the weight as it helps in mimicking the movements of an arm or leg. So controlling the staff helps develop the strength and skill needed to control a moving limb in empty hand combat. That is the main reason for using a long range weapon like a staff (you're hardly likely to need to use one as a proper weapon).

Having said all that of course it depends on what style you are being taught. Ask your instructor for the kind of staff he recommends you purchase.

#403121 - 07/26/08 12:14 PM Re: Staffs -n- Stuff [Re: puffadder]
DeadlyKnuckles Offline

Unfortunately, I have no instructor nor have I received extensive training in the staff. But I have received some training in the staff when I took Taekwondo many years ago.

#403122 - 07/27/08 09:25 AM Re: Staffs -n- Stuff [Re: DeadlyKnuckles]
puffadder Offline

What are you hoping to gain from your staff training and do you study any particular martial arts?

#403123 - 07/27/08 10:10 AM Re: Staffs -n- Stuff [Re: puffadder]
DeadlyKnuckles Offline

Quote:

What are you hoping to gain from your staff training and do you study any particular martial arts?

I'm not studying anything at the moment. The only training I have is in Taekwondo, but I have long since stopped taking classes.

#403124 - 07/27/08 10:20 AM Re: Staffs -n- Stuff [Re: DeadlyKnuckles]
puffadder Offline

The kind of weapon you use depends on what you want to achieve. I have no experience of TKD but a lot in staff (bo) work.
Training in staff gives the following benefits:
The main thing is coordination of arms legs and torso - learning to generate power correctly and effortlessly.
It also gives increased grip strength and is excellent for the shoulders (which I'm sure you've already discovered).
When done properly it teaches you to move with your attacker and redirect their incoming force back into them. It is said that the sword is an extension of your arm but the staff is an extension of your centre.
As a weapon itself it is long distance (obviously) and because it has two attacking ends it makes the movements difficult to predict. I have seen many examples of people using the staff who only attack with one end of it. They are only using half or less of it's potential. If you want to learn properly seek a teacher who will teach the spins, turns and so on that will give you the full potential of this excellent weapon.

#403125 - 07/27/08 09:39 PM Re: Staffs -n- Stuff [Re: puffadder]
westway50 Offline
Stranger

i find it very important to go out to a weapon store and feel the weapon you are going to get. i know that this mainly applies to like swords and stuff, but this guideline isnt too bad when it comes to staff. like i personally like my staff that i got. its a bow staff and the weight distribution along it is good for my preference.

#403126 - 07/28/08 08:29 AM Re: Staffs -n- Stuff [Re: westway50]
Chatan1979 Offline

Loc: Mahomet , Illinois
Quote:

i find it very important to go out to a weapon store and feel the weapon you are going to get. i know that this mainly applies to like swords and stuff, but this guideline isnt too bad when it comes to staff. like i personally like my staff that i got. its a bow staff and the weight distribution along it is good for my preference.

Not to be a prude, but...
You do know that saying "bow staff" or more precisely bo staff, is like saying bat bat, or my golf club club. Its redundant. to some people something like this is trivial and to others it is important because it shows your lack of knowledge about weapons. These are the same people that call nunchaku "numchuks", and swing them around like fools in their backyards as substitution for real weapon training.

#403127 - 07/28/08 05:17 PM Re: Staffs -n- Stuff [Re: puffadder]
DeadlyKnuckles Offline

Quote:

The kind of weapon you use depends on what you want to achieve. I have no experience of TKD but a lot in staff (bo) work.
Training in staff gives the following benefits:
The main thing is coordination of arms legs and torso - learning to generate power correctly and effortlessly.
It also gives increased grip strength and is excellent for the shoulders (which I'm sure you've already discovered).
When done properly it teaches you to move with your attacker and redirect their incoming force back into them. It is said that the sword is an extension of your arm but the staff is an extension of your centre.
As a weapon itself it is long distance (obviously) and because it has two attacking ends it makes the movements difficult to predict. I have seen many examples of people using the staff who only attack with one end of it. They are only using half or less of it's potential. If you want to learn properly seek a teacher who will teach the spins, turns and so on that will give you the full potential of this excellent weapon.

I have done extensive searching for a school that teaches the use of the staff. I only found one school within walking distance of where I live and that was Wah Lum Kung Fu that teaches it. Along with the staff, they teach the use of many other weapons and also teach Praying Mantis. Unfortunately, I was told that training there isn't cheap and that it's mostly form work.

#403128 - 07/28/08 05:58 PM Re: Staffs -n- Stuff [Re: DeadlyKnuckles]
puffadder Offline

Quote:

I have done extensive searching for a school that teaches the use of the staff. I only found one school within walking distance of where I live and that was Wah Lum Kung Fu that teaches it. Along with the staff, they teach the use of many other weapons and also teach Praying Mantis. Unfortunately, I was told that training there isn't cheap and that it's mostly form work.

What's wrong with form work? How else did you expect to learn how to use the staff?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Cord, MattJ, Reiki 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Stun Guns
Variety of stun gun devices for your protection

Buy Pepper Spray
Worry about your family when you’re not around? Visit us today to protect everything you value.

Koryu.com
Accurate information on the ancient martial traditions of the Japanese samurai

C2 Taser
Protect yourself and loved ones from CRIME with the latest C2 Taser citizen model. Very effective.

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga