FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 14 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
LeroyCFischer, JadeKing, Beefcake, WesJones, simonajones111
22933 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
futsaowingchun 2
charlie 2
William_Bent 1
simonajones111 1
GojuRyuboy13 1
November
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
New Topics
unrecognized kata
by William_Bent
11/19/14 07:05 PM
I gained a lot of month in the last few months
by simonajones111
11/19/14 04:54 AM
Siu Lin Tao-3rd section applications
by futsaowingchun
11/13/14 06:48 PM
Screen fighting course UK December 2014
by charlie
11/11/14 04:09 PM
Siu Lin Tao-1st section Pak Sao explanations
by futsaowingchun
11/09/14 10:30 PM
I spy kata bunkai..
by GojuRyuboy13
10/29/14 08:28 AM
The Karate punch
by Matakiant
10/30/13 07:41 AM
Where Are They Now?
by Dobbersky
05/30/13 08:08 AM
MA style video library
by
03/22/06 03:18 PM
Recent Posts
unrecognized kata
by William_Bent
11/19/14 07:05 PM
I gained a lot of month in the last few months
by simonajones111
11/19/14 04:54 AM
Siu Lin Tao-3rd section applications
by futsaowingchun
11/13/14 06:48 PM
Screen fighting course UK December 2014
by charlie
11/11/14 04:09 PM
MA style video library
by charlie
11/11/14 04:05 PM
Siu Lin Tao-1st section Pak Sao explanations
by futsaowingchun
11/09/14 10:30 PM
The Karate punch
by Matakiant
10/29/14 10:01 PM
I spy kata bunkai..
by GojuRyuboy13
10/29/14 08:28 AM
Forum Stats
22933 Members
36 Forums
35589 Topics
432521 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#402764 - 07/21/08 01:50 PM What is really being taught?
everyone Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: USA
Many MA schools have a definite ranking structure reinforced with colored belts, wear uniforms, require bowing and calling “superiors” “sir”. Is all this teaching respect, discipline and leadership? Could it be that the real lessons students are learning are subservience, conformity and obedience? Would students be better served if they weren’t all in uniform and could dress as they pleased (as long as it met utilitarian training standards)? Eliminate “rank” and just treated everyone with equality and respect.

A lot of people like the uniforms and belts and such… If you are one of those people, that’s cool for you. My question isn’t if you like it, my question is does it really teach the qualities that are often cited to validate these traditions. What is really being taught?

#402765 - 07/21/08 02:02 PM Re: What is really being taught? [Re: everyone]
Kujaku Offline

Loc: Rockville, Maryland, USA
Quote:

my question is does it really teach the qualities that are often cited to validate these traditions. What is really being taught?

Well, you said it yourself. Tradition is what is being taught. Most of the arts that incorporate the uniform, the belts, and the so-called "subservience" come from Asia; and in Asian society there is a thing called filial piety. By using all of this and requiring students to show respect to their teachers and to senior students, these arts are staying true to the traditions of the Asian societies from which these styles were born.

Though I suppose I can see where you are coming from. But I do think that through these traditions, these arts are teaching respect for elders and other important qualities. If you are to look at it from a completely Western point of view like you have in your post, you will see these teachings as just forced subservience...just a thought .

#402766 - 07/21/08 02:21 PM Re: What is really being taught? [Re: everyone]
Cord Offline
Prolific

Loc: Cambridge UK.
Quote:

Many MA schools have a definite ranking structure reinforced with colored belts, wear uniforms, require bowing and calling “superiors” “sir”. Is all this teaching respect, discipline and leadership? Could it be that the real lessons students are learning are subservience, conformity and obedience? Would students be better served if they weren’t all in uniform and could dress as they pleased (as long as it met utilitarian training standards)? Eliminate “rank” and just treated everyone with equality and respect.

A lot of people like the uniforms and belts and such… If you are one of those people, that’s cool for you. My question isn’t if you like it, my question is does it really teach the qualities that are often cited to validate these traditions. What is really being taught?

'Everyone', I dont mind answering your questions, but this is the latest is a string of open questions that seem to come from a somewhat oblique angle. What happens in your training school? Do you feel such structure is good or bad.
To be honest, i am unsure as to how wide your MA experience is, but one of the joys of my status as an MA 'tourist' is that i have experienced on a superficial level, a number of different environments, and have to say that whilst there is formality in such a structure, the human relationships within classes remains unaffected by the formality.
Where I trained longest (and would go back to had i the cash), had no 'uniform' though you were encouraged to wear the club T-shirt (given to you upon joining), and whilst grading is available for those who find it motivating, there is no pressure or necessity to go down that path- you can simply train for the love of it, and improve in performance without an external indicator or experience.
There are many more 'relaxed' clubs/groups out there, the whole 'Han's Island' training camp thing is definately a minority concept outside of the movies- though I would definately train with the Kobra-Kai if i got the chance

#402767 - 07/21/08 02:34 PM Re: What is really being taught? [Re: Cord]
everyone Offline
Enthusiast

Coord, I have trained in very regimented schools in the past. My current school is much more informal. I personally don’t feel that uniforms, belts, rank, etc.. teach what some claim they teach. I could be wrong so I phrased my question in the most respectful and non-judgmental way I could think of. I sincerely wish to hear others opinions and their perspectives.

#402768 - 07/21/08 02:40 PM Re: What is really being taught? [Re: everyone]
Ironfoot Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: St. Clair Shores, MI USA
Let's analyze just about 100% of 1 on 1 confrontations:
Either you have 2 jerks, or 1 jerk and another guy who probably doesn't know how to handle the jerk.

Drills teach you how to handle the jerk better.
The traditional method of manners helps you learn some humility and ego-sublimation. In short, how not to BE the jerk.

#402769 - 07/21/08 02:50 PM Re: What is really being taught? [Re: everyone]
Zach_Zinn Offline
Veteran

Loc: Olympia, WA
Sigh....belts and rank structure don't teach anything.

However as you will know if you ever try to run a school, it is unfortunately a small minority of people (at least in the TMA-oriented world) who will make the initial step to start training in something without some tangible reward to get them through the door. Sad but true.

I wish no one cared about them, but for people just starting off ranks can serve as a motivating factor.

I really don't understand why people make such a big deal about it either way, it's just trappings, and if you focus on the trappings you miss out on the substance, whether you are for or against them.

I'd also like to mention that having a rank structure and belts does not in any way have to imply that your training itself is done in a rigid, unflexible way, and honestly if you think it does that's just lack of experience talking, no offense.

I don't see alot of arguments that rank structure is central to anyone's MA, where are you getting this?

Edited by Zach_Zinn (07/21/08 02:53 PM)

#402770 - 07/21/08 03:13 PM Re: What is really being taught? [Re: Zach_Zinn]
everyone Offline
Enthusiast

Zach, it sounds like your belt ranking system is just a motivator for students and is not associated with other qualities. However, it doesn’t take too much searching to find practitioners who believe that their ranking system, bowing and saying “sir” teaches respect, discipline and leadership. If you never have come across people that come from schools like this, I am very surprised. Maybe it's just mostly a TKD thing.

#402771 - 07/21/08 03:48 PM Re: What is really being taught? [Re: everyone]
Cord Offline
Prolific

Loc: Cambridge UK.
Quote:

However, it doesn’t take too much searching to find practitioners who believe that their ranking system, bowing and saying “sir” teaches respect, discipline and leadership.

Thats not an MA school, that is my upbringing!
There is huge difference between formal courtesy and 'subservience'. I have been raised to call people 'sir' or 'ma'am' or by 'Mr ***' 'Mrs ***' or 'Ms ***' if I know their surname. I would never presume to call someone by their first name unless invited to do so, or introduced to them by that name; and I cant stand salesmen or others presuming to call me by my given name without asking, and i have been known when asked 'Can I call you David?' to respond 'No' if i dont feel inclined to be on informal terms with them.
Look a person straight in the eye, give a firm even handshake and show respect- that is how you get respect in return. Eastern practice uses bowing instead of a handshake- thats not subservience, thats ettiquette.
If you dont show respect, then who is taking the position of superiority? Surely you are the only one who could be accused of such?

#402772 - 07/21/08 04:20 PM Re: What is really being taught? [Re: Cord]
TKD_X Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: HERE
I think one thing that gets left out of these discussions is that we are practicing MARTIAL arts here. Martial=military. The military has uniforms. The military has ranks. you are expected to call superiors sir/ma'am in the military. not only is it a tradition to have uniforms, belts, and courtesy towards senior students, it's part of the MARTIAL history of Martial arts. See what happens if you join the army and refuse to call a general "sir."

you could as easily say, the military is too strict and they should be allowed to wear whatever they want. or that they should be rankless and all be equal. would it work out? soldiers are some of the most disciplined, respectful, and loyal people in the world. if it works for them. then why not in Martial Arts?

#402773 - 07/21/08 07:04 PM Re: What is really being taught? [Re: TKD_X]
puffadder Offline

Loc: UK
We don't have belts or uniforms and a minimum of imposed discipline as students are expected to show self-discipline. However, the senior students who have been with me for a long time wear club tshirts to show that they have some seniority and if I'm not available they are the guys to ask for help on movements or techniques. They are then acting as older brothers in the family of the school. I think this is fairly traditional in many chinese systems.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Fight Videos
Night club fight footage and street fights captured with the world's first bouncer spy cam

How to Matrix!
Learn ten times faster with new training method. Learn entire arts for as little as $10 per disk.

Self Defense
Stun guns, pepper spray, Mace and self defense products. Alarms for personal and home use.

TASER MC26C
Stop An Urban Gorilla: Get 2 FREE TASER M26C Replacement Air Cartridges With Each New TASER M26C!

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga