FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 25 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
TomRosenberg, jessylin, play, Keith_G, LeroyCFischer
22937 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
jwwmantis 2
futsaowingchun 1
Zombie Zero 1
Beefcake 1
LeroyCFischer 1
December
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30 31
New Topics
Freeing Hand-Wing Chun's last movements
by futsaowingchun
12/17/14 09:40 PM
2015 Master Yang Jwing-Ming Seminar
by jwwmantis
12/05/14 10:36 PM
The Beginners Guide To Stretching
by
12/27/06 11:43 AM
Your true goal
by
03/03/06 07:16 AM
Recent Posts
Freeing Hand-Wing Chun's last movements
by futsaowingchun
12/17/14 09:40 PM
Your true goal
by Beefcake
12/11/14 02:44 AM
The Beginners Guide To Stretching
by LeroyCFischer
12/04/14 02:07 AM
Forum Stats
22937 Members
36 Forums
35591 Topics
432526 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#401060 - 07/02/08 11:57 AM Re: Small Rant... [Re: BigJim]
marmaduke Offline

Loc: Ohio
Quote:

Quote:

My son has been teaching classes for the past 6 months. With help and without. As mentioned, this class was unusually large. He normally does not have a problem.

I certainly was not commenting on your son's teaching ability, I hope you did not read it that way. My comment was about as a 16 year old, with a room full of parents and an oversized class getting out of control, he should have had some adult back up. It's very hard for a kid to take control with parents, probably 2 times his age being as unruly and the rug rats.

No problem. But just to let you know, since my son got his Black Belt in December, he is required to put in 11 hrs a month teaching time. He also has two adult classes, Tuesday and Thursday night that he teaches. Not one adult has had a problem with him. It seems that the older the student is, the more respect they give my son. 9 yrs of training does count for something. And there should have been two instructors per class, which didn't happen yesterday. Not counting the Sensei.

#401061 - 07/02/08 12:24 PM Re: Small Rant... [Re: marmaduke]
BigJim Offline

Loc: Arizona
Quote:

Not one adult has had a problem with him. It seems that the older the student is, the more respect they give my son. 9 yrs of training does count for something.

Well I imagine as students they can see the vaule and skill that 9 years of training brings, problem I see is that the parents you mentioned are not students so they probably just see a 16 year old kid. What would irk me is that instead of coming to his aide and helping get their kids in line, they joined in against him, undermining his authority.

But even with 9 years training and great teaching ability, at the end of the day he still 16, 9 years before he is done growing so for the Sensei to put him in that positon just is not reasonable, and you have every right to rant!

Then again, probably a great learning experience.

#401062 - 07/02/08 02:50 PM Re: Small Rant... [Re: BigJim]
tkd_high_green Offline
Veteran

Loc: Vermont
When a young student misbehaves, they are given a warning. If they do it again, pushups. If they continue the behavior, they are given a timeout in one of the corners. The length of the timeout based on the age and severity of the infraction. Only once have I had to give a timeout to the entire class. They behaved after that.

When new students come in, I am very quick now to inform them of the rules if they break one, and explaining why we do something. I think too often kids are just told "don't do that!" without knowing why they shouldn't do something. After that, I'm swift on enforcing those rules.

I rarely have a problem anymore. Nor have I ever lost a student or upset a parent because I've had to send their child to the corner for misbehaving.

Laura

#401063 - 07/02/08 05:56 PM Re: Small Rant... [Re: tkd_high_green]
BrianS Offline
Higher rank than you
Professional Poster

Loc: Northwest Arkansas
LOL @ "time out in the corner."

#401064 - 07/03/08 01:07 AM Re: Small Rant... [Re: marmaduke]
cxt Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: USA
marmaduke

Just because I'm a worrier (or OCD AND paranoid ) when they require your son to teach do they:

A-give him a break on HIS tution?

B-Is he added to the schools insurence?

I have personal problems with the former--esp if its requirement instead of a request.....for 2 reasons:

1-I pay my money to the TEACHER and with all respect to your son, and I'm quite sure he is skilled--I pay my hard earned coin to the guy/gal running the place--I don't pay so I can get a brand new shodan (ie a "free teacher" to the owner) to teach me...the guy/gal that signs me up teachs me or I get a refund or a discount.
Sure that pretty rough...but signing up for lessons with "Master Po" and instead getting his student (no matter how good he is supposed to be) would be "bait and switch" in any other venue.

(I know you PAID for a Lexus...but trust me this Hyundai is going to be really good for you until your "good enough" to be able to handle the Lexus. )

Every now and then? Sure that's cool....but as a regular thing? No way.

2-I have issues that essentially require work for a PAYING student...I don't have a problem helping keep the place clean...but I ain't teaching for free while the owner spends HIS time on the phone making more money FOR HIMSELF...I better be getting a price break OR a share of the profits.

Now its different story if I just feel like helping..its the "required" part that I have issues with.....its a VERY slippry slope.....and indentured servitude rubs me the wrong way.

B-This is the more serious of the 2--if your boy is teaching, he NEEDS to be listed on the school policy--or there needs to be explicit verbage in the policy itself to cover him....and I'd greatly prefer being named specifically.

I have seen people get hung out to dry over "oversights" like that.

You probably have already checked this out and your A-OK, like I said, just a worrier.

Edited by cxt (07/03/08 01:13 AM)

#401065 - 07/03/08 04:51 AM Re: Small Rant... [Re: cxt]
marmaduke Offline

Quote:

marmaduke

do they:

A-give him a break on HIS tution?

B-Is he added to the schools insurence?

B-Yes. Checked that out when he became a Black Belt and started teaching.

A-Actually, as long as he puts in 11 teaching hours a month, he's free. I don't have to pay. If he puts in less, then I have to pay for the whole month. Doesn't sound too bad but, during school, his homework and Honor Society meetings came first. Plus whenever he got sick. It was cutting it close at times.

I remember when he first had to start teaching, one class got to him and he just walked off the matt and sat in the bathroom for a while to cool off. He got talked to after that one, but he has come a long way. He actually enjoys teaching the little kids.

He tries. He's learning.

Oh. And as his instructor always tells me, my son is dependable. Thats a great help to him. Since school is out, I try and get him there as often as possible.

We have one Black Belt who left after his wife had a baby.
Another left. Mabe comes in once every three months.
One went to Japan.
One-Comes and goes.
One moved to Texas.
Last one is a firefighter. He comes when his schedule allows.
And the "school mascot". She's a Purple Belt and usually teaches the New students. (Their 2 free lessons)

Edited by marmaduke (07/03/08 04:59 AM)

#401066 - 07/03/08 11:11 AM Re: Small Rant... [Re: marmaduke]
cxt Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: USA
marmaduke

Cool....always best to be on the policy.

"as long as he is teaching, he's free"

If your going to require the time THAT is how it should be done. ...least I think so.

#401067 - 07/03/08 06:52 PM Re: Small Rant... [Re: cxt]
TKD_X Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: HERE
i agree that your sensei should have been on the mats. if not on the mats, in a place where he could have seen if your son needed help. it's uncalled-for for him to put your son out there alone. i understand the situation your son is in completely. i am 16, i help teach a beginners class every monday, AND i just got done running a 5-day 9-3 TKD summer camp with my mom and brother. i know what it is like to have a bunch of screaming uncontrollable kids in front of you. was it because of the holiday that there were whitebelts and students that are advanced enough to do bo staff in the same class? splitting up the ranks was a good idea. half the people doing bo staff is NOT a good idea when the other half are unattentive white belts that like to run and say hi to mommy. i have found that the best way to get all of the kids on the same page is to start without some of them. they see that they are being left out and they join in. use the good kids as examples. praise the good kids for doing what they are supposed to and the less attentive kids, out of desire to receive the same praise, follow suit. if your son is ever placed in that same situation, tell him to tell your sensei that he would prefer him to stay on the mats.

#401068 - 07/19/08 02:44 AM Re: Small Rant... [Re: marmaduke]
hedkikr Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Southern California, USA
Over the years, my kids' class population has ranged from 12 to 40 & I'm the only instructor. Occasionally I have a few "clowns", "attention-seekers" & "ADHD-angels", but I'm firm yet fair w/ discipline.

If Joey is doing everything except karate, I invite him to sit it out because it's obvious he doesn't want to be there. As I tell him to sit-out, I also tell him that he can re-join the class whenever he wants, 3 seconds, 3 minutes or never...it's his decision. Through it all, I insist on respect, maintaining the dignity of karate and earnest effort.

Also, my minimum age is 7. Anything younger & the school/instructor is getting what he/she deserves.

I have to disagree about preventing parents from observing. The majority of parents will back you up if you're doing a good job. No parents (witnesses) and it's your word against that bratty liar who knows he can manipulate his mom to cause a stink for him. Heaven forbid little Jessica accuses you of sexual misconduct. You're ship is sunk - guilty or not. AND as a parent, I PAID for the instruction, I'm interested in the activity, I get to be proud of my little-guy and I'm a better parent than those who simply drop-off the rug-rat for some cheap- baby-sitting.

Finally, I think that you're a bit over-protective of your 17 y/o son. I know I've been away for a while but a lot of your posts seem to be about YOUR worries & concerns. Has your boy logged on yet? I can tell that you're a good father but give that leash a bit more slack.

#401069 - 07/19/08 06:38 AM Re: Small Rant... [Re: hedkikr]
marmaduke Offline

Quote:

Finally, I think that you're a bit over-protective of your 17 y/o son. I know I've been away for a while but a lot of your posts seem to be about YOUR worries & concerns. Has your boy logged on yet? I can tell that you're a good father but give that leash a bit more slack.

Yea, I'm overprotective. Shoot me. As I mentioned a while ago, I had heart suergery several years ago. I also have Diabietes. I work 56hrs+ a week. My wife works 3rd shift. She sleeps during the day and most of the night. I try/want to spend time with my son while I still can. During his teaching time at the Dojo, I sit and waite for him. Sometimes 3-5 hrs. Most of the time I fall asleep. Sensei keeps joking he'll get me a mat to sleep on one day.

And no, he hasn't logged on yet. We still have dial-up at home. (Trying to get something faster, but right now can't afford what their asking. (Very limited in my area)). Right now, I use the computers at work for all internet stuff. I do his browsing, I get large downloads that he asks for, videos, game patches, whatever.

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Cord, MattJ, Reiki, tkd_high_green 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Self Defense
Offering stun guns, pepper spray, tasers and other self defense products not available in stores.

Pepper Spray
Online distributor of self defense supplies like videos, stun guns, Tasers and more.

Spy Cameras
Surveillance, Hidden Cameras, Nanny Cams, Digital Recorders, Spy Equipment, Pocket DVR's and more

Stun Gun
Wholesale Directlhy to the Public! Stun gun and Taser Guns and personal protection products. Keep your loved ones at home safe!

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga