FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 27 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
AndyLA, danacohenn, ksusanc, kellypnik123, leyinn
22904 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Dobbersky 12
cxt 7
trevek 6
JKogas 5
futsaowingchun 4
July
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30 31
New Topics
Applied center line theory
by futsaowingchun
Yesterday at 08:55 AM
centerline concepts
by futsaowingchun
07/14/14 10:49 PM
language of syllabus
by trevek
07/11/14 03:36 PM
ITF TaeKwonDo or Shotokan Karate????
by Dobbersky
07/10/14 07:14 AM
10 San Sik drills-Wing Chun's foundation
by futsaowingchun
06/30/14 11:20 AM
"Ip Man" and "Ip Man 2" the movies.
by TaekwonDoFan
06/30/14 11:02 AM
Anderson Silva - Leg Break
by Dobbersky
12/30/13 08:32 AM
Where Are They Now?
by Dobbersky
05/30/13 08:08 AM
Gi or no Gi Grappling?
by Prizewriter
04/16/12 02:48 PM
MMA - A passing Fad
by Dobbersky
04/12/12 11:16 AM
Recent Posts
Gi or no Gi Grappling?
by Prizewriter
Yesterday at 10:15 AM
Applied center line theory
by futsaowingchun
Yesterday at 08:55 AM
centerline concepts
by futsaowingchun
Yesterday at 08:53 AM
ITF TaeKwonDo or Shotokan Karate????
by cxt
07/24/14 11:35 AM
language of syllabus
by trevek
07/14/14 04:50 PM
MMA - A passing Fad
by Dobbersky
07/10/14 07:35 AM
Anderson Silva - Leg Break
by Dobbersky
07/09/14 06:13 AM
Throwing
by JKogas
07/03/14 07:40 PM
10 San Sik drills-Wing Chun's foundation
by futsaowingchun
06/30/14 11:20 AM
"Ip Man" and "Ip Man 2" the movies.
by TaekwonDoFan
06/30/14 11:02 AM
Forum Stats
22904 Members
36 Forums
35564 Topics
432453 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 3 of 13 < 1 2 3 4 5 ... 12 13 >
Topic Options
#399426 - 06/15/08 10:37 PM Re: College aikido [Re: eyrie]
TKD_X Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: HERE
i would also like to respectfully ask that ATA taekwondo not be considered an accurate representation of all TKD systems. it unfairly makes all TKD look bad when it isn't.

#399427 - 06/15/08 11:40 PM Re: College aikido [Re: TKD_X]
eyrie Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: QLD, Australia
IMO, nothing really is an honest representation of anything.

Fundamentally, all MA are based on variations of the same principles and philosophical doctrines. Each art tends to focus on specific aspects and specialize in specific areas which provide a perceived strategic and/or tactical advantage.

But if you're going to compare apples to apples, make sure it's the same genus and species...

#399428 - 06/16/08 04:07 AM Re: College aikido [Re: TKD_X]
Prizewriter Offline
Professional Poster

All of which is compounded by the fact Fileboy has admitted in the past using TKD in a SD situation. As I recall, he kicked an attacker in the head during a confrontation.

http://www.fightingarts.com/ubbthreads/s...part=3&vc=1

From Fileboys post in the above thread:

"Lord knows I have plenty of criticisms to make of TKD. However, believe it or not, kicking to the head is not as crazy as it sounds. The one time I ever used a TKD techniques to get out of a jam was when a nutjob approach me in a park and I whacked him in the head with a round kick. He went down and stayed down. Although it all happened too quick to analyze in complete detail, one thing stands out to this day: I could tell the guy never saw the kick coming. This sounds strange until you realize most people are not martial artist and do not expect to get kicked in the head."

Walking, talking contradiction!!!!!!!!!

#399429 - 06/16/08 05:03 AM Re: College aikido [Re: Prizewriter]
eyrie Offline
Professional Poster

Look, every MA will give you some basic level of pugilistic skill. They all work off the same basics... footwork, bodywork, what to do with the hands and feet, response under pressure etc.

#399430 - 06/26/08 04:50 PM Re: College aikido [Re: TKD_X]
fileboy2002 Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Chicago, IL
Actually it was ITF taekwondo. I stuck with it because I loved the art--loved the patterns, the discipline, the whole training process. But I would never describe it as a particularly practical art.

#399431 - 07/01/08 02:24 PM Re: College aikido [Re: fileboy2002]
Ames Offline
Veteran

fileboy: Rather than lock this thread straight away, I thought I'd wait to see if perhaps you would qualify your argument a little more. You didn't. Same old "all Aikido sucks because I've met dozens and they all sucked."

There are a lot of problems with an argument such as this. Firstly, the fact that the data you supply to validate your claim as to the worthlessness of Aikido, as regards its self defence capabilities, is completely subjective and, therefore, worthless.

Secondly, you seem to have absolutely no first hand knowledge of the art itself. I would very much like you to detail one or two specific instances in which you yourself witnessed a dedicated, long term (i.e. competent) Aikidoka beaten easily for you to decide the art has 0% value for self defence. My guess would be it was in TKD class, or some 'friendly' sparring time after or before class. In any of these sceanerios Aikido is at a MAJOR disadvantage before the engagement even began.

--Chris

#399432 - 07/13/08 03:28 PM Re: College aikido [Re: Ames]
fileboy2002 Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Chicago, IL
Ames, I cannot imagine what would qualify as "objective" data in an area like this. How can any martial art be "objectively" evaluated? Impossible. Your demand for objective evluation is therefor a red herring.

Likewise, you seem to define those with "first hand knowledge" as long-term aikido practioners. Another red herring: any long time aikido practioner is, by definition, someone who believes 100% in their art.

So it seems that in order to voice an opinion, I would have to be a dedicated, long-term practioner of aikido who had somehow devised a purely objective (whatever that means) measure of aikido's efficacy. An impossible, and therefor fraudulent, standard.

#399433 - 07/13/08 09:02 PM Re: College aikido [Re: fileboy2002]
eyrie Offline
Professional Poster

I see... and that makes your subjective opinion, based on your anecdotal evidence, a valid fact... because you say so?

#399434 - 07/21/08 12:12 PM Re: College aikido [Re: eyrie]
aikiflips Offline
Stranger

Y'know, if you say it's no good then that's fine. I'm willing to accept that. All I know is that it's worked for me, so I like it. =) Really there's a lot that goes into a conflict that could have absolutely nothing to do with the marital art that they're using. Maybe they're not very good, maybe they're nervous, maybe they have some other mental block? Congratulations on your victories!

A lot of marital arts, TKD included were started as serious defenses against attackers and the ones which have survived since old times really shows that their art was resiliant, whether it was mere conditioning, a few good ideas to keep in mind, or if it was a hard-core military art. That art has been studied for years on end by people who believe in it and use some or all of the concepts. I s'pose there are some who use it to physically resolve conflict, there are some who use the philosophical concepts to either avoid or diffuse a situation. Whatever you use it for, however you use it, is your own choice.

Speaking from experience, there are a lot of people who don't train for even something such as sparring. I've had vastly different experiences getting into the ring as opposed to inside the dojo and out on the street. Each one has taught me a lot and has offered me new insight into how I learn and how I teach. The biggest hurdle is getting experience cross-training with different arts. Where TKD may be more intuitively a fighting art, Aikido takes time and a breadth of experience that is often not taught in the dojos. Come to think of it, most internal/soft arts are like that, with a harsh learning curve at the beginning. Finding a school or even a training partner who's able to work with you to expose some weak links in your training is absolutely necessary with any art to evolve not only yourself but the art as it exists in present-day. I'll reiterate, everyone practices for a different reason, so some people may just practice to make themselves feel better through comraderie and exercise or meditation. That's cool too. Do what makes you happy and F-ck the rest. =) (Lil Miss Sunshine)

Ease up a bit though, there's really no need to be contentious on the threads. To the original poster, good luck and maybe you'll enjoy your time in there as much as I have! (I got started in college too!)

-Kevin

#399435 - 07/27/08 09:04 PM Re: College aikido [Re: aikiflips]
westway50 Offline
Stranger

i would absolutely advise u to go check it out. you should do it for a few weeks and see how you like it. i started last year and i was like one of the very few people who stayed after seeing what it is like.

practicality wise, my instructors even say that it is not so practical. but you really do learn alot of practical things like entering and stuff. sometimes you will have a position where you can use an aikido move, which was amazing to me the first time i experienced that.

Page 3 of 13 < 1 2 3 4 5 ... 12 13 >

Moderator:  Ames, Cord, MattJ, Reiki 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Stun Guns
Variety of stun gun devices for your protection

Buy Pepper Spray
Worry about your family when you’re not around? Visit us today to protect everything you value.

Koryu.com
Accurate information on the ancient martial traditions of the Japanese samurai

C2 Taser
Protect yourself and loved ones from CRIME with the latest C2 Taser citizen model. Very effective.

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga