FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 29 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
ksusanc, kellypnik123, leyinn, Ron_Cooley, businns
22902 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Dobbersky 12
cxt 7
trevek 6
JKogas 5
TaekwonDoFan 2
July
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30 31
New Topics
centerline concepts
by futsaowingchun
07/14/14 10:49 PM
language of syllabus
by trevek
07/11/14 03:36 PM
ITF TaeKwonDo or Shotokan Karate????
by Dobbersky
07/10/14 07:14 AM
10 San Sik drills-Wing Chun's foundation
by futsaowingchun
06/30/14 11:20 AM
"Ip Man" and "Ip Man 2" the movies.
by TaekwonDoFan
06/30/14 11:02 AM
Iaido movements speed
by TooNice
04/14/14 01:47 PM
Anderson Silva - Leg Break
by Dobbersky
12/30/13 08:32 AM
Where Are They Now?
by Dobbersky
05/30/13 08:08 AM
Gi or no Gi Grappling?
by Prizewriter
04/16/12 02:48 PM
MMA - A passing Fad
by Dobbersky
04/12/12 11:16 AM
Recent Posts
ITF TaeKwonDo or Shotokan Karate????
by cxt
Today at 11:35 AM
centerline concepts
by Dobbersky
07/18/14 06:14 AM
language of syllabus
by trevek
07/14/14 04:50 PM
Gi or no Gi Grappling?
by Dobbersky
07/10/14 07:38 AM
MMA - A passing Fad
by Dobbersky
07/10/14 07:35 AM
Anderson Silva - Leg Break
by Dobbersky
07/09/14 06:13 AM
Throwing
by JKogas
07/03/14 07:40 PM
10 San Sik drills-Wing Chun's foundation
by futsaowingchun
06/30/14 11:20 AM
"Ip Man" and "Ip Man 2" the movies.
by TaekwonDoFan
06/30/14 11:02 AM
Forget all that health stuff
by TaekwonDoFan
06/29/14 03:18 AM
Forum Stats
22902 Members
36 Forums
35563 Topics
432450 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 2 of 13 < 1 2 3 4 ... 12 13 >
Topic Options
#399416 - 06/15/08 01:05 AM Re: College aikido [Re: fileboy2002]
eyrie Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: QLD, Australia
Quote:

I have 25 years experience in TKD--I think that makes me "familiar." And aikido practioners need to spend more time critically assessing their own art and not lashing out at anyone and everyone who points out the bloody obvious: it is a beautiful, graceful, but utter impractical martial art.

Uh huh... familiar WITH TKD... NOT aikido. How much time have you actually spent learning/training in aikido? With whom? For how long? It may be bloody obvious to you... but "practical" for what purpose?

How about ALL martial artists should spend time critically assesing their own training... and not just aikido practitioners?

So instead of lashing out emotively and pointing out your obviously limited experience and biased opinions, perhaps you could provide a little more considered analytical thought and address the topic directly?

BTW, I have done TKD, jujitsu and kempo-jutsu... and there's nothing in any of those arts which is inconsistent with the basic principles of aikido.

#399417 - 06/15/08 04:55 AM Re: College aikido [Re: fileboy2002]
Prizewriter Offline
Professional Poster

Fileboy

Have to agree with Eyrie here. Until you study it properly yourself, how do you REALLY know how good/bad it is?

If you are still unconvinced, go to Shodokan Hombu in Osaka or Yoshinkan Honbu in Tokyo and tell them how useless Aikido is, then proceed to show them how it is done.

I have already posted in the past stories of people using Aikido to defend themselves, not going over it again. I even posted a clip of a LVPD police office using Aikido to down a criminal.... and explained how it was Aikido and not just a "push".

If you want to be taken seriously on this you have to walk the walk... go to an Aikido class and see what you make of it. Tell them your concerns and see if they can do anything about it. There a plenty of places in Chicago to train:

http://www.myaa.info/DojoLocation.html

http://www.aikidomac.org/Contact/Contact.asp

http://www.asu.org/chicago/

Jirgo Kano, Founder of Judo (an art you study) was so impressed by Aikido that he sent many of his top students, including Kenji Tomiki and Minoru Mochizuki, to study Aikido. But hey, what did he know? If only you were there to tell him why Aikido was "useless"...

The advice I gave the original poster still stands: go try Aikido and make of it what you will. I would give much the same advice to you too.

#399418 - 06/15/08 09:12 AM Re: College aikido [Re: Prizewriter]
fileboy2002 Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Chicago, IL
While I have not formally studied aikido, I have trained with many practioners over the past couple of decades. None could defend themselves worth a @#$%. And these were not dumb people, just people who chose an art that has zero to do with self-defense. People interested in self-defense need aikido the way fish need hairdryers.

As for the LVPD officer video, there is no reason to believe he studies aikido. Strikes to the neck are basic to most every martial art, and are widely practiced within law enforcement. Like the endlessly cited quote from Kano, calling that "aikido" shows me how desperate the aikido community is to show some evidence--any evidence--of their non-martial art in action.

And I'll only agree to go to Japan if you pay for the ticket.

#399419 - 06/15/08 09:30 AM Re: College aikido [Re: fileboy2002]
Prizewriter Offline
Professional Poster

Well now lets just hold on here...

Who was the author of the thread entitled:

" Videos of aikido IN ACTUAL USE? "

Now lets think, who was it who started that inflammatory thread... let think FILEBOY, who was it now FILEBOY. Do you know who it was FILEBOY!!!!?

Not so much the Aikido Community is desperate to prove anything. If they are guilty of anything, it is wasting time responding to threads like that. Its incredibly hard to find videos of ANY martial arts in use in a real life situation for starters. I can only speak for myself, but I have nothing to prove to anyone.

So you trained with some people who couldn't defend themselves who had studied Aikido. So what? I meet guys in Judo class who couldn't fight for toffee. There was a particularly bad guy who was a Brown Belt who got turned over by almost everyone in class. Heaven help him if his life depended on his Judo. Does that mean Judo sucks? Of course not.

Look Fileboy, you have some sort of chip on your shoulder about Aikido and many other arts too (as I recall you aren't keen on Tai Chi Chuan either).

You admitted yourself you haven't studied Aikido. If you don't want to study it, that is fair enough. Realistically though, if someone asks for an opinion on here about Aikido, are they going to listen to you or someone like,for example, Wristtwister, who has studied it for 20+ years? Do you think anyone is going to take what you say that seriously on the subject? And if they aren't, why even bother posting about in the first place? You want to seem the aikido forum alight with Flame Wars??? I don't get why someone would talk so strongly about something they admit they have not expertize/experience in.

#399420 - 06/15/08 09:30 AM Re: College aikido [Re: eyrie]
fileboy2002 Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Chicago, IL
eyrie,

As I said in an earlier post, I never formally studied aikido, but trained with many (dozens) of aikido practioners over a period of two decades. Not one I ever met could defend him or herself effectively. And they were not dumb people--they simply chose a poor self-defense art.

By your logic, only those completely immersed in aikido, with extensive practice and many years of training, are qualified to comment on it. But that pretty much excludes any aikido critics from the discussion--it is like saying the only people qualified to speak on Christianity are believing Christians!

#399421 - 06/15/08 09:45 AM Re: College aikido [Re: fileboy2002]
Prizewriter Offline
Professional Poster

First of all, the name is Prizewriter.

Secondly, I am not saying you shouldn't comment on it. I am saying that your comments probably won't carry as much weight when compared with someone who has actual experience of Aikido. If you don't know anything about a topic, be it Aikido or anything else, how much credence do you think your opinion will have?

Can I ask, where did you find out that these Aikidoka couldn't defend themselves? Was it in a Judo match? A TKD sparring session? A NHB/MMA contest? Were you walking with them down the street as they got attacked?

Edited by Prizewriter (06/15/08 09:46 AM)

#399422 - 06/15/08 07:44 PM Re: College aikido [Re: fileboy2002]
eyrie Offline
Professional Poster

Quote:

eyrie,

As I said in an earlier post, I never formally studied aikido, but trained with many (dozens) of aikido practioners over a period of two decades. Not one I ever met could defend him or herself effectively. And they were not dumb people--they simply chose a poor self-defense art.

By your logic, only those completely immersed in aikido, with extensive practice and many years of training, are qualified to comment on it. But that pretty much excludes any aikido critics from the discussion--it is like saying the only people qualified to speak on Christianity are believing Christians!

Who are these people you claim you "defeated"? What level of experience/expertise did they have? What was the format and rules of engagement? Who witnessed and adjudicated the event?

So, we only have YOUR say-so... and that's about as believable as "trust me, I'm from the IRS and I'm here to HELP you"... or "God exists because I'm a Christian".

Sure, no one's stopping you from commenting or this thread.... but to openly admit not having any experience or expertise in the art, and to state that it is about as practical as hairdryers for fish, based on a dubious and unabashed claim that it is so because you "beat" a few practitioners that, according to you, were not your match... is sloppy thinking and reeks of an art bashing VTG challenge, the likes we have not seen since Hedgehogey and the Bullsh!to beatdown.

I don't bash TKD, and we would all think it gentlemanly if you refrained from it as well. At least it didn't take me 25 years to realize the limited utility of TKD in its rapidly degenerating format of sportive contests. Still, after 1.5yrs of TKD, I got what I got out of it and moved on... I suggest you do the same.

And if you want a beatdown, you need to pay ur own way to storm the dojo... otherwise, it just reads like a VTG armchair toss-off.

#399423 - 06/15/08 08:00 PM Re: College aikido [Re: fileboy2002]
TKD_X Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: HERE
Quote:

Why bother studying the one martial art in the world that is even LESS practical taekwondo?

Quote:

I have 25 years experience in TKD--I think that makes me "familiar."

so taekwondo is not practical, yet you took 25 years of your life to study it? couldn't be that bad could it? if memory serves me right from reading past posts, it was ATA taekwondo. wasn't it? it would be helpful if you had clarified by saying ATA taekwondo, which in almost every case is less practical than other TKD systems.

#399424 - 06/15/08 08:39 PM Re: College aikido [Re: TKD_X]
eyrie Offline
Professional Poster

Quote:

so taekwondo is not practical, yet you took 25 years of your life to study it?

Precisely... and as impractical as it is, he still somehow managed to "defeat" another "even less practical" art. Pretty dubious claim to fame.

25 years is a long time to come to grips though... kinda like being married to a woman for that long and realizing what a cow she was to begin with. Very sad indeed.

Edited by eyrie (06/15/08 08:40 PM)

#399425 - 06/15/08 10:07 PM Re: College aikido [Re: eyrie]
eyrie Offline
Professional Poster

Before this gets out of hand, further derailed or locked, I should point out that not everyone studies a MA for the same reasons. Everyone's reasons and goals for pursuing a MA is DIFFERENT.

If practical SD is your cup-o-cha, find a MA to suit. If you want to study something like iaido/kyudo for aesthetic or meditative reasons, do it. If you want to do taiji for health, do it. Just don't come here and wave your banner of practicality.

Bottomline, do something that you will enjoy and stick at for a few years. Or better yet, find a club or teacher that match your personal preferences and goals.

Everything else people may say is inconsequential fluff... do what YOU love and everything else falls into place. May your training be fulfilling and give you endless enjoyment... which is far better than learning something for the sake of learning something, or worse yet, for the wrong reasons.

Page 2 of 13 < 1 2 3 4 ... 12 13 >

Moderator:  Ames, Cord, MattJ, Reiki 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Stun Guns
Variety of stun gun devices for your protection

Buy Pepper Spray
Worry about your family when you’re not around? Visit us today to protect everything you value.

Koryu.com
Accurate information on the ancient martial traditions of the Japanese samurai

C2 Taser
Protect yourself and loved ones from CRIME with the latest C2 Taser citizen model. Very effective.

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga