FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 83 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
LeroyCFischer, JadeKing, Beefcake, WesJones, simonajones111
22933 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
futsaowingchun 2
charlie 2
William_Bent 1
simonajones111 1
GojuRyuboy13 1
November
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
New Topics
unrecognized kata
by William_Bent
11/19/14 07:05 PM
I gained a lot of month in the last few months
by simonajones111
11/19/14 04:54 AM
Siu Lin Tao-3rd section applications
by futsaowingchun
11/13/14 06:48 PM
Screen fighting course UK December 2014
by charlie
11/11/14 04:09 PM
Siu Lin Tao-1st section Pak Sao explanations
by futsaowingchun
11/09/14 10:30 PM
I spy kata bunkai..
by GojuRyuboy13
10/29/14 08:28 AM
The Karate punch
by Matakiant
10/30/13 07:41 AM
Where Are They Now?
by Dobbersky
05/30/13 08:08 AM
MA style video library
by
03/22/06 03:18 PM
Recent Posts
unrecognized kata
by William_Bent
11/19/14 07:05 PM
I gained a lot of month in the last few months
by simonajones111
11/19/14 04:54 AM
Siu Lin Tao-3rd section applications
by futsaowingchun
11/13/14 06:48 PM
Screen fighting course UK December 2014
by charlie
11/11/14 04:09 PM
MA style video library
by charlie
11/11/14 04:05 PM
Siu Lin Tao-1st section Pak Sao explanations
by futsaowingchun
11/09/14 10:30 PM
The Karate punch
by Matakiant
10/29/14 10:01 PM
I spy kata bunkai..
by GojuRyuboy13
10/29/14 08:28 AM
Forum Stats
22933 Members
36 Forums
35589 Topics
432521 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#399093 - 06/09/08 06:45 PM Confidence In Your Martial Arts..
bighitter Offline

i'm sure this has been discussed but i'm talking about right now. this minute, this second.

how confident are you in your martial arts?

If you got into a street fight tomorrow, can you see yourself fighting like you do in your training kwoon, or do you see yourself losing it and fighting like your normal street fighter?

I do have doubts in my mind about what i learn and how it would be applied in the real world.

I'm looking forward to hearing your replies

#399094 - 06/10/08 12:56 AM Re: Confidence In Your Martial Arts.. [Re: bighitter]
Zach_Zinn Offline
Veteran

Loc: Olympia, WA
Quote:

i'm sure this has been discussed but i'm talking about right now. this minute, this second.

how confident are you in your martial arts?

If you got into a street fight tomorrow, can you see yourself fighting like you do in your training kwoon, or do you see yourself losing it and fighting like your normal street fighter?

I do have doubts in my mind about what i learn and how it would be applied in the real world.

I'm looking forward to hearing your replies

When in action most martial arts skills won't look all cool and crisp like they do in the dojo against compliance

So yeah you'd be fighting just like 'some streetfighter'. The difference is that after a few years of decent training you should have enough tools and skills under your belt to stack the deck in favor of you not losing.

Your training should actually work with your natural inclinations and responses to some degree, a big part of MA training is reprogramming those I think, so the split between "streetfighting" and what you do in the dojo is unnecessary imo.

Still, there's really no gaurantees when someone really wants to hurt you.

If you train with some kind of resistance it can give you a ballpark idea of where you'd stand...but you are of course normally fighting people doing the same thing as you, so again no gaurantees.

Just have fun training......

Edited by Zach_Zinn (06/10/08 01:01 AM)

#399095 - 06/10/08 12:39 PM Re: Confidence In Your Martial Arts.. [Re: bighitter]
Neko456 Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Midwest City, Ok, USA
Really confidence is something that builds as you experince success there are certain techniques that I know are my bread and butter and others that can set them up or end the affair if he makes a mistake.

I am confident in my overall ability to ***Notice*** when things are going bad and get out of harms way. I am confident that if I **Notice** that things look or feel bad to retreat to safer grounds.

I am confident that if taken by surprises and not taken out that I have and will survive.

I am confident that if a someone broke into my house while I'm there asleep that they will get bite before I shoot them.

Confidence is good, but over confidence can be our down fall.
I am considered by some a high ranking MAtist, people that know or know me aren't shocked but people that don't know are shocked when I tell them that I'm always prepared to RUN in order to survive. I'm confident that I can make it to my car or safe room and if someone tries to stop me I can hurt them bad before I run again.

Against multiple attack I always practiced gurrilla warfare, catch me and I'll destroy him. If caught they slow down after seeing that. I'm confident of that. Never stay there and fight until the last man, out numbered it won't be You 9 times out 10. I'm confident that the stripes on my belt won't help me in such a ordeal. I'd bet on that.

Question is confidence being quick?
Or experinced?

Edited by Neko456 (06/10/08 12:42 PM)

#399096 - 06/10/08 02:56 PM Re: Confidence In Your Martial Arts.. [Re: Neko456]
IExcalibui2 Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: New York City
I find myself decently confident in my MA. I don't like to box with people so I always try to close the distance and make a bridge. Would I end up looking like a streetfighter? probably, though there'd probably be a slight difference in the way I'd handle things too. However, I'm constantly aware that I could get my @$$ handed to me if I mess with the wrong guy.

#399097 - 06/10/08 05:58 PM Re: Confidence In Your Martial Arts.. [Re: IExcalibui2]
Tikirocker Offline
Stranger

Loc: Sydney OZ

I agree with comments made by both Zach and Neko ... with Zach I agree that when things get messy don't expect to see anybody rolling out their clean form work and applications - this is sadly perpetuated by martial arts on film for the last 100 years.

To be perfectly honest, what I know is that when the brown stuff hits the blades my Yang Taiji is likely to look more like Jason Bourne than Crouching Tiger but in all honesty I strongly believe that this is precisely what Yangs Taiji is meant to be in reality; it ain't pretty but it gets the job done.

With Neko I am simpatico regarding avoiding all conflict and detecting when trouble is likely to erupt and making sure you listen to instinct - I've done that all my life and managed to avoid trouble. My trouble detector is so good the likelyhood of my ever needing to actually use my Martial Art is slim and that's the way I plan to keep it.

I have complete confidence that I can employ very effective methods of response if backed into a corner but I would not wish that scenario on myself or the other guy. I don't know about anybody else but the type of things I have trained to do would not bring me any pleasure to perform at velocity on another human being even if they have it coming. There's always somebody bigger and badder though.

#399098 - 06/10/08 06:08 PM Re: Confidence In Your Martial Arts.. [Re: Tikirocker]
MattJ Offline
Free Rhinoplasty!
Prolific

Loc: York PA. USA
Excellent post, Tiki.

#399099 - 06/10/08 07:32 PM Re: Confidence In Your Martial Arts.. [Re: MattJ]
IExcalibui2 Offline
Enthusiast

good post!

yea people have to realize how to translate the forms and flowery movements into applicable techniques.

#399100 - 06/17/08 10:27 PM Re: Confidence In Your Martial Arts.. [Re: bighitter]
BillowingReeds Offline

“To fight is a radical instinct; if men have nothing else to fight over they will fight over words, fancies, or women, or they will fight because they dislike each other's looks, or because they have met walking in opposite directions” - George Santayana

In my opinion the best martial weapon is indeed not the strong appendages that your ego forces you to pump iron with, but instead, it is your mind. Men will always want to fight. It is the ability to walk away from these fights and keep all conflict on a seperate plain that preserves yourself everytime.

Should however the fancy stole away in your mind that there is no other option, that the fight is indeed honorable and an in-explicably avoidable, then I would say that I do not rely solely on my martial art. Once again, it all comes back to mind. I rely more on my mind then I do anything else. A practiced and centered individual, one who is confident in themselves, therefore mentally strong, judges fights in a different way.

Does any of this make sense to anyone else lol?

I suppose what I'm trying to sum it all up to is it isn't the size of the dog in the fight, but the size of the fight in the dog.

#399101 - 06/20/08 03:05 AM Re: Confidence In Your Martial Arts.. [Re: BillowingReeds]
IExcalibui2 Offline
Enthusiast

yea chinese have a saying: "yut dam, yee lic, sam gung fu"
which translates pretty much into "#1 will/confidence/heart, #2 strength, #3 kung fu"

this is a listing of the importance of each factor in a fight. The most important factor is to have the will/confidence/heart (aka the right state of mind) to fight. If you aren't feeling the fight and you're going up against a guy who wants to tear your head off...well a big chance that you might end up bleeding on the floor.

Also #1>#2>#3. If I'm fighting a man who is stronger than me but I have the mentality to beat him, well I'll find a way to lay the smack down regardless if he lands a killer punch. Having the mentality already gives me strength.

the strength then comes along as #2. Even if you have "good" technique but lack strength and power in those techniques, you're going to lose because they won't work and you'll get over powered.

and lastly #3 is the techniques or kungfu

AND this is a quick explanation on how some MA masters get their @$$ handed to them because they rely too much on their techniques not understanding that they're going to lose out on the mentality and strength part. Mentality is #1...if you dont want to fight then you're going to lose. You have to have the mentality to win and kick butt to defend yourself.

#399102 - 06/26/08 11:34 AM Re: Confidence In Your Martial Arts.. [Re: IExcalibui2]
Lil_Gray_Hawk Offline
Stranger

Quote:

good post!

yea people have to realize how to translate the forms and flowery movements into applicable techniques.

I think it also helps if you have a Sifu that understands the need for self-defense and works with your skills to bring them inline with your martial training.

I'll give myself as an example. I come from an abusive background. I was 'street fighting' at a young age. I went from defending myself against a parent, to defending myself in school to defending myself in bars and then against my own husband. He had judo knowledge and used it 'against' me. I only had street skills and the will and desire to survive.

Fast forward to me at 46. I started my martial training last year. Right away my Sifu realized that I was a 'fighter' and he's been honing my natural talents and abilities. Bringing my skills in line with my martial training.

When we work one-to-one he'll tell to me 'bring it', meaning use everything I know including my street skills. Then he takes my natural ability and shows me how to bring it inline with my martial training.

Also, I'm an avid backpacker and often backpack alone. A woman alone is always at risk. I know this. I've been attacked when alone more than once. (Never on the trail...but recent stories in the news proves no place is safe for a woman when a human predator is on the prowl.) I digress, so back to the point of this thread and my point.

My Sifu started me with a bo staff and I discovered that I can take all I'm learning with the bo staff and apply it to my trekking poles. I always have two of them when I hike.

I have a habit of using whatever is in my hands at the time of an attack for defense. Sifu is now teaching me the skills I need to turn what is in my hand into a weapon of defense. I've never hesitated to use what is at hand, now I have a better grasp of the skills I need.

Does my martial training transfer over into real world. Yes indeed it does. Wish I had thought to take up martial training back in the day. But you are never too late to start in my book if you have the will and desire.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Cord, Gavin, JasonM, MattJ, Reiki 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Ryukyu Art
Artifacts from the Ryukyu Kingdom missing since WWII. Visit www.ShisaLion.Org to view pictures

Best Stun Guns
Self Defense Products-stun guns, pepper spray, tasers and more

Surveillance 4U
Complete surveillance systems for covert operations or secure installation security

Asylum Images
Book presents photo tour of the Trans-Allegany Lunatic Asylum. A must if you're going to take a ghost tour!

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga