FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 30 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Bartfast, ZapEm, AndyLA, danacohenn, ksusanc
22906 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Dobbersky 8
AndyLA 5
futsaowingchun 4
ergees 2
VDJ 2
August
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
New Topics
Chum Kiu 2nd section applications
by futsaowingchun
08/20/14 09:54 PM
2013 World Championship Rio: The Gallery (HD)
by ergees
08/19/14 05:22 AM
Chi Sao demonstration
by futsaowingchun
08/14/14 10:57 PM
Decent Fight channel
by FrankyFruits
08/07/14 09:19 PM
2014 European Championships Cadets Athens: Videos
by ergees
08/07/14 10:00 AM
Life goes on....
by Dobbersky
08/07/14 05:59 AM
An open letter to bunkai researchers...
by Bartfast
08/05/14 04:18 PM
Applied center line theory
by futsaowingchun
07/28/14 08:55 AM
centerline concepts
by futsaowingchun
07/14/14 10:49 PM
ITF TaeKwonDo or Shotokan Karate????
by Dobbersky
07/10/14 07:14 AM
Recent Posts
Chum Kiu 2nd section applications
by futsaowingchun
08/20/14 09:54 PM
2013 World Championship Rio: The Gallery (HD)
by ergees
08/19/14 05:22 AM
ITF TaeKwonDo or Shotokan Karate????
by VDJ
08/15/14 05:46 PM
Chi Sao demonstration
by futsaowingchun
08/14/14 10:57 PM
The Karate punch
by Dobbersky
08/12/14 05:14 AM
** Introduce Yourself! **
by Dobbersky
08/11/14 05:03 AM
Decent Fight channel
by FrankyFruits
08/07/14 09:19 PM
2014 European Championships Cadets Athens: Videos
by ergees
08/07/14 10:00 AM
Life goes on....
by Dobbersky
08/07/14 05:59 AM
A post for those who might become martial artists.
by AndyLA
08/06/14 07:25 AM
Forum Stats
22906 Members
36 Forums
35571 Topics
432473 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#398773 - 06/07/08 01:06 AM UFC 85
BrianS Offline
Higher rank than you
Professional Poster

Loc: Northwest Arkansas
Do they have a new one every weekend? lol

Hughes or Alves? Note: Alves didn't make weight (174lbs.)

Bisping or Day?

Doesn't really look like a good card to me, but there could be some good fight in there.

#398774 - 06/07/08 02:52 AM Re: UFC 85 [Re: BrianS]
Cord Offline
Prolific

Loc: Cambridge UK.
I didnt even know this one was happening till I saw an advert yesterday. its on a ppv channel in UK (setanta), and i am a subscriber so will watch it.
I am a bit confused as to Mat Hughes headlining a PPV. I know he was a dominant champ, and I really like his fighting style, its just that I dont see the point of a big UFC event that doesn't involve a championship fight.

#398775 - 06/07/08 09:01 AM Re: UFC 85 [Re: Cord]
JKogas Offline
Prolific

Loc: North Carolina
Brian wrote: "Do they have a new one every weekend? lol"

I was thinking the same thing myself. I just think that Dana White probably is thinking that more is better right now. He may be trying capitalize on the surging popularity of MMA at the moment.

Does anyone know if the ratings of pro-wrestling are dropping while that of MMA is rising?

#398776 - 06/07/08 02:16 PM Re: UFC 85 [Re: JKogas]
Supremor Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: UK
More IS better if you ask me. One of the biggest problems with the UFC organisation, is the time fighters have to wait in between fights. Having someone wait 6 months for their next bout is not only bad for their career, but it hinders the ability of the audience to build a personal relationship with the fighters which is so important commercially.

I heard that in Pride, the competitors could fight every 6 weeks. Perhaps it is too short a lay-off, but these are guys with short careers, and fighting just 2-3 times a year is not doing them justice.

#398777 - 06/07/08 02:24 PM Re: UFC 85 [Re: Supremor]
Cord Offline
Prolific

Quote:

More IS better if you ask me. One of the biggest problems with the UFC organisation, is the time fighters have to wait in between fights. Having someone wait 6 months for their next bout is not only bad for their career, but it hinders the ability of the audience to build a personal relationship with the fighters which is so important commercially.

I heard that in Pride, the competitors could fight every 6 weeks. Perhaps it is too short a lay-off, but these are guys with short careers, and fighting just 2-3 times a year is not doing them justice.

But you cant maintain fight condition non stop, you need down time to recover, and to address issues that become apparent from your fights. Pro boxers fight a maximum of 3 times a year, and to do any more than that would see burned out, overtrained, sub-par performances. The same would happen in MMA. You need time to 'peak', and then time to crash afterwards.

#398778 - 06/08/08 05:27 AM Re: UFC 85 [Re: JKogas]
NewJitsu Offline

Loc: Midlands, UK
Quote:

Does anyone know if the ratings of pro-wrestling are dropping while that of MMA is rising?

In the UK, after speaking to some of my old London friends who are still in TV, pro wrestling has been on a downer since about 2003 whilst MMA is indeed rising. But UFC seems to be heading for burnout through over-exposure. So is holding a PPV once a month or so "capitalizing on a growing market" or "let's try and take as much money as possible before it dies a death" ?

#398779 - 06/08/08 07:02 AM Re: UFC 85 [Re: NewJitsu]
JKogas Offline
Prolific

Loc: North Carolina
Quote:

In the UK, after speaking to some of my old London friends who are still in TV, pro wrestling has been on a downer since about 2003 whilst MMA is indeed rising.

Yeah...I figured that "Joe Average Rabid Wrestling Fan" (the one you see up in about the 12th row carrying the sign and jumping up and down during the "action") would have had to make a choice by now. And although he hates it, he probably (only now) realizes that wrestling "might" be fake. So he switches allegiances to the UFC/MMA brand.

Dana White clearly went to the wrestling fan base for his exposure and it worked. That's why I asked. Because you think that at some point, "Wrestling Fan" would have had to make a choice. But I may be off base there.

Quote:

But UFC seems to be heading for burnout through over-exposure. So is holding a PPV once a month or so "capitalizing on a growing market" or "let's try and take as much money as possible before it dies a death" ?

I don't think so. I don't believe MMA is burning out, as it seems like new fans are being drawn into the sport all the time. It has supplanted BOXING as the number one combat sport. Whether the pace will continue as it has is another story (events like CBS's EliteXC won't help that any). At the moment though, it isn't going anywhere.

#398780 - 06/08/08 09:15 AM Re: UFC 85 SPOILERS!! [Re: JKogas]
Supremor Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: UK
Wow, I thought that was a great card with some super fights on it. Perhaps there was no championship bout, but the Hughes-Alves fight was definitely very entertaining. I guess Hughes will get one more fight with Serra and then it's retirement for him. I think that will be a good match, because while Hughes is definitely not the dominant fighter he was a few years ago, I still think he's got enough skill to give Serra a lot of problems. Serra's tough too though, so I'm honestly not sure who will win.

The Marquadt-Leites match was great, but the scoring was off. I can't understand how you could give Leites even one round, it seemed to me like Marquadt had his number all night. Unfortunately he had those two point deductions, the second of which was blatantly wrong and unnecessary, but still I see those as 9-9 rounds. Both guys gassed at the end, but it was still a really good fight, and Marquadt looked really good with his ground and pound.

Swick-Davis was also interesting, although I personally wanted Davis to win. Great job at controlling the tempo by Swick though, Davis always looked like he was reacting to events. It's amazing to me how effective the high kicks for Swick were, he used a lot of them and still had little problems with takedowns. Granted Davis isn't the best wrestler out there, but still it was impressive to me.

Nice to see Bisping win again too, and he looked really good doing it too. Completely controlled the pace of the fight, and frankly bullied Day. Great work by Bisping on the ground, stopping Day from using any effective Jujitsu. All in all, Bisping just looked a class apart. Hopefully he'll get a more difficult opponent soon, I'm hoping for either Rich Franklin or Marquadt. Both of them could give Bisping significant problems, but he needs a challenge after the easy ride he's been getting in his last two fights. Day, by the way, is no push over, but Bisping completely dominated him.

Edited by Supremor (06/08/08 09:16 AM)

#398781 - 06/08/08 10:46 AM Re: UFC 85 SPOILERS!! [Re: Supremor]
Cord Offline
Prolific

Marquadt put on a good display- even finished the night with a 'tombstone' pile-driver for the wrestling fans He did deserve the loss however, because that knee was blatantly a foul, and he had been punching to the back of the head in rounds 1 and 2. No way Leites could 'recover' in the sense that you or I think of recovering, after that knee, so fighting impaired for the remainder of the match, he showed real grit, and deserved the win. Marquadt is going to have to improve his conduct/control or pay the price- that simple.

Rogan was making much of Hughes upping his training from 2 to 3 sessions a day, and as he was saying that, I was thinking 'too much'. Low and behold, Hughes comes out looking pale, drained and in a state of catabolism. Massively overtrained. On the other hand Alves comes out at catchweight looking like a full light heavyweight! He may have missed the weigh in by 4lbs, but he filled out another 18 by fight night. So the weakest Hughes fought the strongest Alves and no prizes for the outcome. It means squat though- I would like to see a rematch with both given proper prep time and meeting within their weight class.

Bisping is a beast. say what you like about the quality of oponent, but I have seen good fighters make hard work of 'nobody's' and Bisping is destroying them at his new weight. Patriotism aside, he is really on form at the moment, and easily deserves a title shot based on performance and entertainment value.

It was a really good card- everyone was there to fight, and there was some good balance between technical encounter and brawl, sometimes within the fights themselves.

#398782 - 06/08/08 11:14 AM Re: UFC 85 SPOILERS!! [Re: Supremor]
MattJ Offline
Free Rhinoplasty!
Prolific

Loc: York PA. USA
Dominating performance from Michael Bisping. While he still needs some work on his stand-up IMHO (Franklin or Anderson Silva would destroy him before it ever got to the ground), his GnP and ground position were excellent. Superior standing guard passes from Bisping. Made Day look like an amateur by comparison. The UFC will have to raise the bar on Bisping's level of competition.

Thales Leites vs. Nate Marquardt - Excellent side-control escape by Nate Marquardt at 1:55 in the first round. Some good striking from both guys, as well. Definitely an early knee from Nate in the second round, Leites was clearly not all the way up yet. Overall, pretty dominating performance from Nate.

LOL at Jason Lambert mistakenly trying to take Herb Dean down after getting KTFO by Luiz Cane.

Verdum vs Vera: Good striking by Vera, reminiscent of when he beat Frank Mir. Not sure what the crowd was booing about at the end, though. Vera was getting GnP'd viciously by Verdum.

Good card, overall.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Cord, Fletch1, MattJ, Reiki 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Self Defense
Offering stun guns, pepper spray, tasers and other self defense products not available in stores.

Pepper Spray
Online distributor of self defense supplies like videos, stun guns, Tasers and more.

Spy Cameras
Surveillance, Hidden Cameras, Nanny Cams, Digital Recorders, Spy Equipment, Pocket DVR's and more

Stun Gun
Wholesale Directlhy to the Public! Stun gun and Taser Guns and personal protection products. Keep your loved ones at home safe!

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga