FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 30 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
ksusanc, kellypnik123, leyinn, Ron_Cooley, businns
22902 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Dobbersky 12
cxt 7
trevek 6
JKogas 5
TaekwonDoFan 2
July
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30 31
New Topics
centerline concepts
by futsaowingchun
07/14/14 10:49 PM
language of syllabus
by trevek
07/11/14 03:36 PM
ITF TaeKwonDo or Shotokan Karate????
by Dobbersky
07/10/14 07:14 AM
10 San Sik drills-Wing Chun's foundation
by futsaowingchun
06/30/14 11:20 AM
"Ip Man" and "Ip Man 2" the movies.
by TaekwonDoFan
06/30/14 11:02 AM
Anderson Silva - Leg Break
by Dobbersky
12/30/13 08:32 AM
Where Are They Now?
by Dobbersky
05/30/13 08:08 AM
Gi or no Gi Grappling?
by Prizewriter
04/16/12 02:48 PM
MMA - A passing Fad
by Dobbersky
04/12/12 11:16 AM
Forget all that health stuff
by MattJ
10/28/10 08:51 AM
Recent Posts
ITF TaeKwonDo or Shotokan Karate????
by cxt
07/24/14 11:35 AM
centerline concepts
by Dobbersky
07/18/14 06:14 AM
language of syllabus
by trevek
07/14/14 04:50 PM
Gi or no Gi Grappling?
by Dobbersky
07/10/14 07:38 AM
MMA - A passing Fad
by Dobbersky
07/10/14 07:35 AM
Anderson Silva - Leg Break
by Dobbersky
07/09/14 06:13 AM
Throwing
by JKogas
07/03/14 07:40 PM
10 San Sik drills-Wing Chun's foundation
by futsaowingchun
06/30/14 11:20 AM
"Ip Man" and "Ip Man 2" the movies.
by TaekwonDoFan
06/30/14 11:02 AM
Forget all that health stuff
by TaekwonDoFan
06/29/14 03:18 AM
Forum Stats
22902 Members
36 Forums
35563 Topics
432450 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 2 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#398320 - 06/04/08 04:02 PM Re: What do YOU do? [Re: medulanet]
BrianS Offline
Higher rank than you
Professional Poster

Loc: Northwest Arkansas
Quote:

Kata is a method to preserve fighting techniques and principles of a person or groups of people. In training fighting techniques and their application are learned first. Then kata is learned to reinforce the lessons, provide a vehicle for refinement of technique and movement, as well as balanced physical development for long term study. Kata training is about development of trained response to attacks.

Very well put.

#398321 - 06/04/08 04:40 PM Re: What do YOU do? [Re: creative]
Supremor Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: UK
I find the question really difficult Creative, because it uses the word "intend." I have no doubt that kata were INTENDED to help with defense against attacks, to perfect character, to defend against multiple opponents and so on and so forth. The problem is, I think they don't achieve what they intend.

Call me rude, or a know it all or whatever, but I strongly believe that people in the past simply didn't understand fighting like we do today. I think they trained often inefficiently and that if you compare the methods they used to methods used by today's MMAists, kickboxers etc. then they would be found pretty lacking.

Of course I have respect for past masters, they achieved a great deal and helped developed martial arts a great deal. But to argue that they knew how to train to perform in a fight or any other pressurised physical pursuit, better than today's sports scientists is pure fantasy.

Edited by Supremor (06/04/08 04:41 PM)

#398322 - 06/04/08 05:16 PM Re: What do YOU do? [Re: Supremor]
BrianS Offline
Higher rank than you
Professional Poster

If you or anyone here believes that kata are for defending against multiple attackere you are way behind the curve.

Many tkd'ers and some karateka practice this because they were taught by their 2 and 3yr blackbelt teachers who were taught this. It's just a ridiculous scenario.
These and other goofy interpretations of kata need to be ixnayed.

#398323 - 06/04/08 05:32 PM Re: What do YOU do? [Re: BrianS]
Supremor Offline
Professional Poster

I'm not behind the curve at all, in fact I believe that if anyone seriously believes that kata are an effective method of training self defense or fighting, it is they who are behind the curve.

My point is that some of the masters who came up with such kata believed that they could help with multiple assailants. By no means all of them, but some of them certainly.

Quote:

These and other goofy interpretations of kata need to be ixnayed.

For sure, although I think that all interpretations of kata should be "ixnayed"(by the way, is it a real word?). Simply an outdated form of training. Also, I'm sure that they were meant to be effective, and I would in no way question the motives of those who created the patterns- they were simply creating the best system of SD/fighting that they knew how to. Unfortunately for kata, times have changed and we know more.

#398324 - 06/04/08 05:43 PM Re: What do YOU do? [Re: Supremor]
creative Offline

Cheers for all who have added their thoughts so far. Some interesting posts already.

Supremor,
As i mentioned in the 1st post, I found the wording difficult and was actually expecting a bit more stick that what i've got (cheers guys!), but i think most people have grasped the intent of the question and answers and are getting on with it despite my short comings!

I don't really want this thread to go down the kata is useless line.

Perhaps people may want to add why they feel (with evidence if possible e.g. example of kata and application/reference to histoical text/conversations with named experienced individuals) they made certain selections. Let's keep it positive!

#398325 - 06/04/08 06:25 PM Re: What do YOU do? [Re: Supremor]
BrianS Offline
Higher rank than you
Professional Poster

I don't think 'ixnayed' is a word,lol.

Kata can be used for a variety of things,but some of the things people say they use kata today for are far fetched to say the least.

The mere doing of kata will not help with self defense, it's the application process of kata that does if you wish to use ot that way.

#398326 - 06/04/08 09:12 PM Re: What do YOU do? [Re: BrianS]
medulanet Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Phoenix, Arizona USA
Quote:

Kata can be used for a variety of things,but some of the things people say they use kata today for are far fetched to say the least.

The mere doing of kata will not help with self defense, it's the application process of kata that does if you wish to use ot that way.

Self defense can mean a lot of things. It can mean staying out of trouble and running fast. What specific skills do you believe kata can teach if trained properly?

#398327 - 06/05/08 12:58 AM Re: What do YOU do? [Re: medulanet]
BrianS Offline
Higher rank than you
Professional Poster

Quote:

Quote:

Self defense can mean a lot of things. It can mean staying out of trouble and running fast. What specific skills do you believe kata can teach if trained properly?

Angles and directions of attacking specific targets.
Push/pull or two way action of locks,breaks/dislocations, throws, and strikes.
Proper breathing.
Proper techniques(stances,strikes,etc.).
Conditioning.(mind and body)

What doesn't kata teach? Except groundfighting?

Learning the interpretations or bunkai of kata can lead to good self defense imo.
Starting with specific attacks and defenses kata is broken down into several parts, each only containing one or more moves directly from the kata.
Each part can be drilled over and over upping the resistance and moved into non-specific attacks until the moves becomes reactive.

Kata is the foundation of karate and everything is built upon it.
Kata is just a tool, "you could build a house, or just drop it on your foot."

#398328 - 06/05/08 05:15 AM Re: What do YOU do? [Re: BrianS]
Ives Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: the Netherlands
Principles like kuzushi and sabaki are stored in kata.

Kansetsu-waza, osae-waza, some shime-waza, tsuki-waza, ashi-waza, keri-waza.
Joint-locking, holds, some chokes, punches/strikes, footwork (broad), kicking.
The above can all be found in kata. It's not all there is to kata.

The way you approch them, determines your level of understanding what they are for, and how they can benefit you.

What JKogas stated are ways how kata are used today also. I feel sorry for the study and use of kata in that way. It gives kata a bad name.

#398329 - 06/05/08 11:32 AM Re: What do YOU do? [Re: BrianS]
medulanet Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Phoenix, Arizona USA
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Angles and directions of attacking specific targets.
Push/pull or two way action of locks,breaks/dislocations, throws, and strikes.
Proper breathing.
Proper techniques(stances,strikes,etc.).
Conditioning.(mind and body)

What doesn't kata teach? Except groundfighting?

Learning the interpretations or bunkai of kata can lead to good self defense imo.
Starting with specific attacks and defenses kata is broken down into several parts, each only containing one or more moves directly from the kata.
Each part can be drilled over and over upping the resistance and moved into non-specific attacks until the moves becomes reactive.

Kata is the foundation of karate and everything is built upon it.
Kata is just a tool, "you could build a house, or just drop it on your foot."

So if this is true, what combat environments can skills gained from kata training help you fight in? That is other than self defense. Or is self defense the only "house" you can build with kata?

Page 2 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  Cord, MattJ, Reiki 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Ryukyu Art
Artifacts from the Ryukyu Kingdom missing since WWII. Visit www.ShisaLion.Org to view pictures

Best Stun Guns
Self Defense Products-stun guns, pepper spray, tasers and more

Surveillance 4U
Complete surveillance systems for covert operations or secure installation security

Asylum Images
Book presents photo tour of the Trans-Allegany Lunatic Asylum. A must if you're going to take a ghost tour!

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga