FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
1 registered (log1call), 32 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SenseiGregT, sagat, JFawkes, pluckysaga39, sgtdemeo
22911 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
AndyLA 5
Dobbersky 5
Ed_Morris 4
futsaowingchun 3
ergees 2
August
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
New Topics
Biu Tzu- Snake hand strike
by futsaowingchun
08/27/14 09:02 PM
Chum Kiu 2nd section applications
by futsaowingchun
08/20/14 09:54 PM
2013 World Championship Rio: The Gallery (HD)
by ergees
08/19/14 05:22 AM
Chi Sao demonstration
by futsaowingchun
08/14/14 10:57 PM
Decent Fight channel
by FrankyFruits
08/07/14 09:19 PM
2014 European Championships Cadets Athens: Videos
by ergees
08/07/14 10:00 AM
Life goes on....
by Dobbersky
08/07/14 05:59 AM
An open letter to bunkai researchers...
by Bartfast
08/05/14 04:18 PM
ITF TaeKwonDo or Shotokan Karate????
by Dobbersky
07/10/14 07:14 AM
The Karate punch
by Matakiant
10/30/13 07:41 AM
Recent Posts
** Introduce Yourself! **
by Zombie Zero
Yesterday at 10:50 PM
mindfullness meditation
by log1call
08/28/14 02:39 AM
Biu Tzu- Snake hand strike
by futsaowingchun
08/27/14 09:02 PM
An open letter to bunkai researchers...
by Ed_Morris
08/26/14 09:58 PM
The Karate punch
by Ed_Morris
08/26/14 09:27 PM
Chum Kiu 2nd section applications
by futsaowingchun
08/20/14 09:54 PM
2013 World Championship Rio: The Gallery (HD)
by ergees
08/19/14 05:22 AM
attacked from behind
by AndyLA
08/16/14 04:59 PM
ITF TaeKwonDo or Shotokan Karate????
by VDJ
08/15/14 05:46 PM
Chi Sao demonstration
by futsaowingchun
08/14/14 10:57 PM
Forum Stats
22911 Members
36 Forums
35572 Topics
432483 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#398050 - 07/15/08 02:18 PM Re: Information pertaining to Isshinryu kicking old [Re: dandjurdjevic]
Ironfoot Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: St. Clair Shores, MI USA
Nice article, Dan. People see movies where a kick sends someone flying and think that's what power is, but I know from both sides of the issue that a proper kick sends the recipient straight to the floor.

Perhaps Westerners like the extended kick more because of the length of their legs, but they're sacrificing the ability to kick at very close ranges.

#398051 - 07/16/08 03:41 AM Re: Information pertaining to Isshinryu kicking old [Re: Ironfoot]
dandjurdjevic Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Australia
Thanks Ironfoot.

Funnily enough, I was watching this video of Higaonna on Way of the Warrior - note his "old style" kicks at about 0:16:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6uZPn5Ib_P8&feature=related.

#398052 - 07/24/08 04:25 AM Re: Information pertaining to Isshinryu kicking [Re: dandjurdjevic]
debushi Offline
Banned

Whip kicking is the old way. Push kicking became more prevalent as the result of jiyu kumite. Extended kicks in matches are easier to see and score. With the integration of modern ring oriented Muay Thai, the "teep' or pushing front kick was also adopted by many modern karate-ka and kickboxers.

I did see Michael MacDonald (K-1) connect with a high snapping toe-kick to an opponents throat which stunned him and resulted in a TKO win for Michael. The announcers didn't even understand what had happened until they replayed the tech like 4 times from various angles. Even then they thought that it contacted his jaw when it never did.

The Mae Geri Keage seen in Shotokan and other Modern Karate styles is a bit different than that seen in some Southern Chinese systems, Uechi Ryu and Matsumura Seito Karate Jutsu. Initially you may learn to whip kick from a bent knee chamber, but later in partner sets you transition to a no-chamber kick which whips from the ground up and SEEMS to come from a telegraphed chamber. You are also told to focus on using lead leg, not rear leg, kicks in the more Chinese influenced styles.

Even many styles of Okinawan Karate use the modern snap kick with the rear leg.

I liked your videos, DanDJ. Good stuff...

Edited by debushi (07/24/08 04:26 AM)

#398053 - 07/24/08 09:47 AM Re: Information pertaining to Isshinryu kicking [Re: debushi]
medulanet Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Phoenix, Arizona USA
Debushi, whip kicking with the rear leg is not about modern or old, its about fighting distance. Japanese and Euoprean style point fighters utilize the front leg kicking techniques extensively, but that is due to the distance at which they fight. The front kick is actually an inclose tech. Using the rear leg is utlized in close, especially when you are kicking your opponent's far leg and the other leg is blocked by your opponent's near leg.

#398054 - 07/24/08 11:11 AM Re: Information pertaining to Isshinryu kicking [Re: medulanet]
dandjurdjevic Offline
Enthusiast

Quote:

Debushi, whip kicking with the rear leg is not about modern or old, its about fighting distance. Japanese and Euoprean style point fighters utilize the front leg kicking techniques extensively, but that is due to the distance at which they fight. The front kick is actually an inclose tech. Using the rear leg is utlized in close, especially when you are kicking your opponent's far leg and the other leg is blocked by your opponent's near leg.

Marcel I agree with most of your post. However I don't think Debushi was referring to "old" vs. "modern" karate as much as he was pointing out the karate vs. "modern arts" (eg. Muay Thai). Distance is a big factor (the "whip kick" is a close range technique for sure). As we discussed (and agreed to disagree) I'm of the view that closer fighting should be more dominant in karate. Having said this, I agree that a more penetrating kick or a "distance" kick is also part of karate's arsenal. Neither is anything like the "push kick" of the modern arts. I think Machida has demonstrated quite well the more "distance-oriented" mae geri of karate - still nothing like the "push kick" (ie. it actually hits instead of pushes).

So I think where we disagree is a matter of emphasis (specifically on distancing and tactics)...

Thanks for the kind remarks btw Debushi!

#398055 - 07/24/08 11:27 AM Re: Information pertaining to Isshinryu kicking [Re: dandjurdjevic]
medulanet Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Phoenix, Arizona USA
Quote:

As we discussed (and agreed to disagree) I'm of the view that closer fighting should be more dominant in karate.

Huh? That was not the disagreement. The disagreement was that I said karate is mainly a close range system and you said it was a middle(melee) range system.

#398056 - 07/24/08 12:10 PM Re: Information pertaining to Isshinryu kicking [Re: medulanet]
dandjurdjevic Offline
Enthusiast

Ah. I misunderstood.

In any event the disagreement was based on the time one spends in the melee... I agree with your "close in" observation, just that, for me, is the finish, where most of the action is in the melee.

#398057 - 07/24/08 06:48 PM Re: Information pertaining to Isshinryu kicking [Re: dandjurdjevic]
shoshinkan Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: UK
just as a thought, when people talk about making the bag 'shudder' and jump as opposed to swing, ie with punches the same is true for the older method of Okinawan kicking.

It's very destructive in relation to impact, and very efficient with it (minamum set up, minamum loss of balance, quick recovery)

I still see benefit in the 'push' kicks of course (not that I use them much, prefering short kicks/hands combi's),

www.shoshinkanuk.blogspot.com

#398058 - 07/24/08 07:06 PM Re: Information pertaining to Isshinryu kicking [Re: shoshinkan]
dandjurdjevic Offline
Enthusiast

Indeed Jim.

#398059 - 07/24/08 08:03 PM Re: Information pertaining to Isshinryu kicking [Re: medulanet]
debushi Offline
Banned

Quote:

I agree to an extent, but in close why would you kick? Headbutts, hands, elbows and knees (that's what kick chambering really teaches) are all much better options as are throws, trips, sweeps and the like. You should always try and use the weapon closest to your opponent. This sets up everything and can also be the decisive technique of many.

For the street, leaving one of your two points of balance is not the best option, so why would you use kicking with the rear or any leg as a primary weapon? Kicking for SD is not that smart. If you do it needs to be low, fast and at the minimum a lead for a unbalancing move, trip or throw entry.

Machida is a good example of why the lead vs. the reverse. He leads with his strong arm, but doesn't use it exclusively, just primarily. From a distance he kicks with both legs. By the way, some tend to deride Shotokan, but his brand is more in line with old Okinawan Shorin Ryu, and that's because his father knew the old style Shotokan before point competition became a focus. He trains karate as much or more tha the other aspects, and he's making some rethink what they thought real karate was (boosheet) as opposed to what REAl karate is (a very effective and efficient fighting system).

I think Dan was trying to show what is missing in the modern and it's the use of a whipping versus a thrusting kick. He used the term "snapping". Good kickboxers utilize both, and Savate guys are famous for their lead leg kicks, but most Muay Thai, Japanese Karate, TKD, TSD and other more modern martial artists neglect the lead leg whip kick. Savate is different in that it a street-based style adapted for the ring.

I know what you're saying though, and trust me I have always practiced both, especially in training because who knows what you'll need. Old style karate tends to focus about 80-90% on nonkicking techniques for a reason, imho.

Good thread...

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Cord, MattJ, Reiki 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Ryukyu Art
Artifacts from the Ryukyu Kingdom missing since WWII. Visit www.ShisaLion.Org to view pictures

Best Stun Guns
Self Defense Products-stun guns, pepper spray, tasers and more

Surveillance 4U
Complete surveillance systems for covert operations or secure installation security

Asylum Images
Book presents photo tour of the Trans-Allegany Lunatic Asylum. A must if you're going to take a ghost tour!

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga