FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 16 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
sunny, swordy, jerrybarry24, SenseiGregT, sagat
22914 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Ed_Morris 4
futsaowingchun 3
AndyLA 2
ergees 2
Zombie Zero 2
September
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
New Topics
STX Kickboxing Seminar
by Marcus Charles
09/09/14 06:57 PM
Biu Tzu- 1st section applications
by futsaowingchun
09/05/14 10:56 PM
2014 World Championships Chelyabinsk: The Gallery
by ergees
09/01/14 03:51 AM
Biu Tzu- Snake hand strike
by futsaowingchun
08/27/14 09:02 PM
Chum Kiu 2nd section applications
by futsaowingchun
08/20/14 09:54 PM
2013 World Championship Rio: The Gallery (HD)
by ergees
08/19/14 05:22 AM
An open letter to bunkai researchers...
by Bartfast
08/05/14 04:18 PM
The Karate punch
by Matakiant
10/30/13 07:41 AM
Where Are They Now?
by Dobbersky
05/30/13 08:08 AM
mindfullness meditation
by
01/06/09 11:27 AM
Recent Posts
** Introduce Yourself! **
by Zombie Zero
Yesterday at 04:43 PM
Eugue Ryu
by kolslaw
09/12/14 03:35 PM
attacked from behind
by AndyLA
09/07/14 07:01 PM
Biu Tzu- 1st section applications
by futsaowingchun
09/05/14 10:56 PM
An open letter to bunkai researchers...
by Bartfast
09/02/14 06:26 PM
2014 World Championships Chelyabinsk: The Gallery
by ergees
09/01/14 03:51 AM
mindfullness meditation
by log1call
08/31/14 09:43 PM
Biu Tzu- Snake hand strike
by futsaowingchun
08/27/14 09:02 PM
The Karate punch
by Ed_Morris
08/26/14 09:27 PM
Chum Kiu 2nd section applications
by futsaowingchun
08/20/14 09:54 PM
Forum Stats
22914 Members
36 Forums
35575 Topics
432492 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 39 of 39 < 1 2 ... 37 38 39
Topic Options
#397500 - 06/12/08 04:39 AM Re: talk to me Jude!" [Re: BrianS]
Barad Offline

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Barad,

Looks like you have jude and his tactics figured out. We probably won't hear from him for a bit because of his "researching" or "training". When you do hear back from him he'll want to know how much you can bench, what karate bunkai you see in the Machida's fights, or how Mike Tyson counters punches. He'll back his facts up by saying he weighs 109kilos so you are wrong and refer to medulanet's posts.
Friggin impossible, random, and weird dude that guy.

Interesting how you posted videos, you started a thread, asked questions yet when asked you didint seem to even knew what Machido was doing? or couldnt be bothered stating what he was doing?
Or even finding the age uke that lead to a ko in the first video yet you state some MMA guy would come along and do what ever it is you stated?
I would request again if you could get one video you posted and state exactly what Machido did to win and how kata is connected to those techniques?

Otherwise how can you reach your conclusions?

When it gets technical you seem to be at a loss?

Jude

The only thing I'm at a loss about is what the hell you are talking about,ever.

Like I asked before Are you talking about age uke in the Franklin fight?

Would someone please lock this thread and ban this douche already??

Guys, look in the site suggestions forum. I'm voting for a ban of jude33.

Actually i don't want to ban Jude-it is all far too funny to ban!

B.

#397501 - 06/12/08 04:47 AM Re: talk to me Jude!" [Re: jude33]
Barad Offline

Jude,

Do you actually go to regular Goju classes, which is how I would understand someone saying they practiced Goju of any variety and challenged others who teach and study Goju? You say you "study Sepai". I wonder whether any of the Goju practicioners here have a view as to whether you can study a system kata without actually training in that system beyond maybe mimicking the movements.

B.

#397502 - 06/12/08 04:52 AM Re: talk to me Jude!" [Re: jude33]
Barad Offline

Jude said "Jion research. Proved."

Jude you claimed to possess previously unseen detailed info on the Chinese origins and practice of Jion, not just supposition based on the starting salutation or the likelihood that many Okinawan kata came from China at some point. In fact you never posted anything beyond-and here comes the surprise-references to your "research". So if you think you proved it, humour me and please repost this research.

B.

#397503 - 06/12/08 07:25 AM Re: talk to me Jude!" [Re: cxt]
MattJ Offline
Free Rhinoplasty!
Prolific

Loc: York PA. USA
Quote:

In any case the real problem here is the 2nd half of the posit....namely just being there is not enough...but if they effected MA practice, or if they effected it but nothing remains (n which case so what?) or what if any CURRENT practices remain.

Excellent post, cxt.

#397504 - 06/12/08 10:52 AM Re: Machida's karate [Re: medulanet]
cxt Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: USA
Med

That is kinda the point...."karate" is an umbrella term which has multiple and varied practices included.
Its one of its strenghs--many different approachs and many different practics that seem to work equally well for different people.

Like any ecosystem diversity is a really good thing...keeps it healthy.

The term "karate" is vastly generic........depending on where people feel like drawing lines you can make a case for any given karate being really "alike" or very "different."

The thread isn't "pointless" it just looks that way depending almost utterly on where you want to draw your lines.

Machida may well be doing karate as he was taught and he understands it---which might be very different or very similer to what "I" am doing.
Don't know enoug about the man to speak with any accuacy about....plus what he does has no real impact on me and my training, so I really don't think I could care less.

(might be nice to have that ammo for some on-line fight but otherwise....of what value is this to me??? )

Look at Kung-Fu been alot longer---so it has even more variation.
As an example there is a classic and well regarded style (name escapes me at the momment) guy that founded it was an expert wrestler and fighter BEFORE he studied under the headmaster and focused manily on this style......so his version of the art "looks" and more importantly "feels" noticably different than the other whom trained with the same guy....and yet nobody thinks this is weird.

Its a aspect of western culture that we seem to feel a need to put everything in a box and lable it.

But back in the day in Okinawa, they were happy with very large, very general and very generic distinctions for their arts--large, broad, largely geographical distinctions---distinctions often that were attached to specific PEOPLE/TEACHERS and a bit less to specific arts.
People would talk about say Naha-te in general THEN by way of specifics about exactly in whose dojo you were training.

What I belive is that "karate" as a generic term is far to broad to attach spcific labels to it.
You want to label stuff you need to start with SPECIFC styles and work out a very broad strokes outline of commonality.

All Naha-te systems share some broad commonality for example--Goju, Uechi, Ruei-ryu etc.....might even argue they theu are "related" as it were...but you start looking at them really closely your going to find differences--even differences from teacher to teacher, student to student.

Again, depends on where you draw the lines.

Edited by cxt (06/12/08 11:01 AM)

#397505 - 06/18/08 11:52 AM Re: Machida's karate [Re: BrianS]
jude33 Offline
Veteran

Quote:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZuyDlSujlic

There it is so where is the age uke?

Jude

There isn't one. I'm sure you believe it is at about 1:00 in the video,but you would be wrong. jude

Oh there is one. A nice sneaky one. Watch his left arm go up then watch the other guys head go up as contact is made right under the guys chin. I think the guy is good and he is fast.
And he knows how to use age uke. A karate guy.

Cant understand why it was missed ? But it is in very, very , very basic kata application.

Jude

#397506 - 06/18/08 12:11 PM Re: talk to me Jude!" [Re: Barad]
jude33 Offline
Veteran

Quote:

Jude,

Do you actually go to regular Goju classes, which is how I would understand someone saying they practiced Goju of any variety and challenged others who teach and study Goju? You say you "study Sepai". I wonder whether any of the Goju practicioners here have a view as to whether you can study a system kata without actually training in that system beyond maybe mimicking the movements.

B.

I train with a goju stylist.

As regards system kata ?

Shukokai and shito ryu Karate practice quite a few different kata. Including kata that would as you say belong to a goju system?

I see top shotokan instructors have also studied the kata. As regards training in that system, I dont think there is one as such. As I see it higher dan karate ka have their methods and each method is different. Nuts and bolts are there but application and training methods are worlds apart.

Regards Jion my historical research is complete although
the use/ application of the kata(s) would be never ending.

Glad you find it all amusing. Research can stir the hornets nest. I would be interested to know where you think ti originated from ? The roundhouse kick exists in trad karate kata. Why some say it doesnt well they will have their reasons.

Jude

Edited by jude33 (06/18/08 12:36 PM)

#397507 - 06/18/08 12:34 PM Re: talk to me Jude!" [Re: jude33]
harlan Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Amherst, MA
Yes...but they GOT there by some defined route/path/style study. Yes?

I am a beginner and qualify my training as a 'study'...but by no stretch would I call myself a 'goju man'. That MEANS something...at least to the very few higher dans I've met.

Quote:

As I see it higher dan karate ka have their methods and each method is different. Nuts and bolts are there but application and training methods are worlds apart.

Page 39 of 39 < 1 2 ... 37 38 39

Moderator:  Ames, Cord, MattJ, Reiki, Ronin1966 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Ryukyu Art
Artifacts from the Ryukyu Kingdom missing since WWII. Visit www.ShisaLion.Org to view pictures

Best Stun Guns
Self Defense Products-stun guns, pepper spray, tasers and more

Surveillance 4U
Complete surveillance systems for covert operations or secure installation security

Asylum Images
Book presents photo tour of the Trans-Allegany Lunatic Asylum. A must if you're going to take a ghost tour!

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga