FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 41 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
AndyLA, danacohenn, ksusanc, kellypnik123, leyinn
22904 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Dobbersky 14
cxt 7
trevek 6
JKogas 5
futsaowingchun 3
July
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30 31
New Topics
Applied center line theory
by futsaowingchun
07/28/14 08:55 AM
centerline concepts
by futsaowingchun
07/14/14 10:49 PM
language of syllabus
by trevek
07/11/14 03:36 PM
ITF TaeKwonDo or Shotokan Karate????
by Dobbersky
07/10/14 07:14 AM
Anderson Silva - Leg Break
by Dobbersky
12/30/13 08:32 AM
Where Are They Now?
by Dobbersky
05/30/13 08:08 AM
Gi or no Gi Grappling?
by Prizewriter
04/16/12 02:48 PM
MMA - A passing Fad
by Dobbersky
04/12/12 11:16 AM
Throwing
by
04/23/05 10:58 PM
Recent Posts
Gi or no Gi Grappling?
by Dobbersky
07/29/14 05:11 AM
Applied center line theory
by futsaowingchun
07/28/14 08:55 AM
centerline concepts
by futsaowingchun
07/28/14 08:53 AM
ITF TaeKwonDo or Shotokan Karate????
by cxt
07/24/14 11:35 AM
language of syllabus
by trevek
07/14/14 04:50 PM
MMA - A passing Fad
by Dobbersky
07/10/14 07:35 AM
Anderson Silva - Leg Break
by Dobbersky
07/09/14 06:13 AM
Throwing
by JKogas
07/03/14 07:40 PM
Forum Stats
22904 Members
36 Forums
35564 Topics
432455 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 2 of 39 < 1 2 3 4 ... 38 39 >
Topic Options
#397130 - 05/27/08 11:28 AM Re: Lyoto Machida uses karate in mma? [Re: JKogas]
medulanet Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Phoenix, Arizona USA
Quote:

Quote:

So then why practice kata at all if not to improve fighting ability?

I've been asking THAT question for years.

Two things; 1) We don't know if he practices kata. 2) If he does, imagine how good he'd have been if he hadn't.

-John

Your right John, he might have done as well as Ken Shamrock did against Tito. Oh wait, his striking was largely ineffective. Or maybe Chuck Liddell. He did beat Tito, but wait his style was based on a system with kata and then Hack took the kata out. Maybe Chuck could have beaten Keith "Two Left Feet Overrated" Jardine if he HAD still done the kata.

#397131 - 05/27/08 11:49 AM Re: Lyoto Machida uses karate in mma? [Re: medulanet]
BrianS Offline
Higher rank than you
Professional Poster

Loc: Northwest Arkansas
Doing the kata doesn't mean flip. Anyone can go through the movements over and over and it wouldn't help one iota.

Understanding the kata and applying the principles would help,but not so much in an mma environment. Kata was not designed for mma, it was designed for self defense and life preservation.

That fact that Machida knows how to apply his karate helps him a great deal imo, but it won't carry him any further than any other fighter either.

Machida also trains like everyone else, mma style. It just so happens he is a karate guy and still practices kata.

I guess we'll have to ask him.

#397132 - 05/27/08 11:52 AM Re: Lyoto Machida uses karate in mma? [Re: BrianS]
BrianS Offline
Higher rank than you
Professional Poster

Quote:

Lyoto Machida was born in the city of Salvador but soon moved to Belém which is his hometown. He is the third son of the Shotokan karate master Yoshizo Machida. Machida began training in karate at the age of four,[2] earning his black-belt at the age of 13. He began training in Sumo at 12 and Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu at 15. He won a number of amateur karate tournaments, including 2001 Pan American Karate tournament.[3] He was also runner up in the 2000 Brazilian Sumo Championships in the 115-kg division. In addition to his Sumo and Karate achievements, he has a college degree in Physical Education. Lyoto's brother, Chinzo, is a Shotokan vice-champion (Australia 2006), losing only to #1 ranked Shotokan master Koji Ogata. Lyoto and Chinzo fought in a Karate Final 10 years ago in which Lyoto gave Chinzo a cheek scar that still exists today. His other brother, Kenzo Machida, is a TV journalist for one of Brazil's biggest TV stations.

Lyoto is well-known for using a variety of Shotokan Karate techniques in his fights. Lyoto used a Karate leg sweep on B.J. Penn in the 2nd round of their fight. He uses a back kick in many fights (they can be seen in his bouts against Sam Greco, Sam Hoger, and Stephan Bonnar). Frank Trigg once said that he got dropped twice in row by Lyoto's back kick in a sparring session they had.

In college he was introduced to Japanese pro wrestling legend Antonio Inoki who took Machida to groom as a protégé. He would continue training, taking up Muay Thai in Thailand and wrestling at the New Japan Pro Wrestling dojo in Tokyo.

Wrestling legend Antonio Inoki noticed Machida early and took him under his wing, soon given the nickname "The Second Inoki" by the Japanese media. Inoki entered Machida in several of his promotions, including New Japan Pro Wrestling's Ultimate Crush card on May 2, 2003, where he defeated journeyman Pancrase fighter Kengo Watanabe. He made several appearances at other Inoki shows, including Jungle Fight 1 in Brazil, where he defeated eventual The Ultimate Fighter 1 runner-up Stephan Bonnar on September 13, 2003, and Inoki Bom-ba-ye 2003, where he defeated eventual UFC Middleweight champion Rich Franklin on New Year's Eve.

At 3-0, he began to fight in K-1's early MMA efforts, with wins against two high-ranked K-1 kickboxers, Michael McDonald and Sam Greco. His last match with the K-1 organization, at K-1 HERO'S 1, he defeated former UFC Welterweight champion B. J. Penn in a unanimous decision. Penn, who began fighting at 155 lb, weighed considerably less than Machida.[4]. In Karate, he was Brazilian Champion twice, and 2nd in South American Championship. He also defeated American black belt Jiu-Jitsu fighter, Rafael Lovato Jr. at the L.A. Sub X [5]

After splitting with Inoki early 2006 as Inoki's management business fell apart, Machida signed with a newly revitalized World Fighting Alliance and began to compete in the United States. In his American debut, Machida defeated Vernon White via unanimous decision at the at WFA: King of the Streets event in Inglewood, California on July 22, 2006. After the WFA went out of business for the second time, the UFC acquired Machida's contract.

His first two fights in the UFC were against Sam Hoger at UFC 67 and David Heath at UFC 70, both were victories by unanimous decision.

His next fight was at UFC 76: Knockout against PRIDE veteran Kazuhiro Nakamura. He won the fight over Nakamura by unanimous decision.[6]

His most recent fight was at UFC 79: Nemesis against former PRIDE FC fighter Rameau Thierry Sokoudjou, winning via arm triangle choke. His next fight was with former UFC Light Heavyweight Champion Tito Ortiz at UFC 84 where he was victorious via decision.[7]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lyoto_Machida

#397133 - 05/27/08 12:59 PM Re: Lyoto Machida uses karate in mma? [Re: BrianS]
Kimo2007 Offline
Veteran

Quote:

Doing the kata doesn't mean flip. Anyone can go through the movements over and over and it wouldn't help one iota.

I always look at the dissmissive statements with wonder, I know plenty of fighters, both Pro and people who I workout with that would benifit greatly from certain Kata.

Quote:

Kata was not designed for mma, it was designed for self defense and life preservation.

Karate overall is designed for many different scenarios of combat, including face to face one on won fighting such as the MMA situation.

This means Kata, as well is designed to train in all these varios scenarios.

If you think Kata has no benifit to an MMA fighter, then you probably have never worked the right Kata in the right way.

#397134 - 05/27/08 01:16 PM Re: Lyoto Machida uses karate in mma? [Re: BrianS]
Seiken Offline

Loc: USA
Quote:

Your wrong. I dont even need to explain why, your definitely intelligent enough to know why.

As for asking Machida. We dont have to. He clearly stated in interviews his Karate is what makes him effective and everything he knows he learned from his father, a Shotokan Karateka.

creative, no.. karate is no different. Thats the problem, why do other combative sports (boxing in general) get less scrutiny and are not held up to the same standards? Karate has been proven just as effective as boxing, but when boxers lose time and time again to muay thai and BJJ etc.. its not said Boxing is ineffective, but the fighter was. When it comes to karate its always karate is ineffective as opposed to the fighter. IMO This just stems from ineffective Karateka who are insecure in their training more so than people from the outside, always questioning.. because they dont know.

As for kata not being clear, perhaps your kata experience is inadequate. But kata always has been clearly defined in Karate as to what it is or isnt. Regardless of bunkai, most Karateka know exactly what kata is and its regards to training. The fact that it can serve so many purposes just shows how effective kata training is, not how ineffective so many people preach.

#397135 - 05/27/08 01:20 PM Re: Lyoto Machida uses karate in mma? [Re: Kimo2007]
jude33 Offline
Veteran

Quote:

If you think Kata has no benifit to an MMA fighter, then you probably have never worked the right Kata in the right way.

Kimo , which kata do you have in mind?
I have some knowledge of some kata. A lot of MMA's find fault with basic kata particulery the chambering of the fist at the hip/ ribs.
What they seem to miss is one reason for chambering is to show and ingrain which set of muscles in the upper back should be coiled ready to assist other elements in a strike. Once that is automatic then the fist neednt be kept there in reality, but with solo kata practice and basics practice, bag work, makiwari it is kept ingrained.

Jude

#397136 - 05/27/08 01:27 PM Re: Lyoto Machida uses karate in mma? [Re: Kimo2007]
BrianS Offline
Higher rank than you
Professional Poster

You gotta love this place.

Everytime I write something that others perceive as negative about kata I am met with "inadequate training," "not training the right kata." lol

What is the right kata for mma kimo? I wonder if Azato, Itosu,Miyagi or Higaonna knew about the ufc?

Why didn't kata help in mma back in 1993?

#397137 - 05/27/08 01:29 PM Re: Lyoto Machida uses karate in mma? [Re: Seiken]
BrianS Offline
Higher rank than you
Professional Poster

Seiken,

There is no point in disagreeing if you aren't going to explain why,lazyass.

Where can I view these interviews?

#397138 - 05/27/08 01:41 PM Re: Lyoto Machida uses karate in mma? [Re: Seiken]
creative Offline

Loc: UK
Quote:

Quote:

Your wrong. I dont even need to explain why, your definitely intelligent enough to know why.

If BrianS is saying kata performace alone wont help one iota, then I must agree with him.

Quote:

creative, no.. karate is no different. Thats the problem, why do other combative sports (boxing in general) get less scrutiny and are not held up to the same standards? Karate has been proven just as effective as boxing

You're wrong! It has not been proven as effective. If it had how come only 1 person (that i know of), machida, uses karate as apposed to the vast majority of MMAist who use boxing? Chance? No, it's because boxing has proven itself to be reliable and effective.
I'm not saying a karate style could not be effective, but so far only one person has notably used it to any great effect.

Quote:

but when boxers lose time and time again to muay thai and BJJ etc.. its not said Boxing is ineffective, but the fighter was. When it comes to karate its always karate is ineffective as opposed to the fighter.

Wrong again. I think most people would agree that if a boxer lost in MMA it would be because of the limitations of boxing. i.e no wrestling/ground game.
Same thing for karate.

What has happened though is MMAist have found boxing a good system to add to their game.

Quote:

IMO This just stems from ineffective Karateka who are insecure in their training more so than people from the outside, always questioning.. because they dont know.

As for kata not being clear, perhaps your kata experience is inadequate. But kata always has been clearly defined in Karate as to what it is or isnt. Regardless of bunkai, most Karateka know exactly what kata is and its regards to training.

Apparently not. Look at all the threads with different karateka arguing about the purpose of kata. I don't see that it has been clearly defined by karate, only by those who practice it (or do not).

Quote:

The fact that it can serve so many purposes just shows how effective kata training is, not how ineffective so many people preach.

A bread knife can be used for many purposes too. Would rather use a a saw to fell a tree though. ( my attempt at wise words)

#397139 - 05/27/08 01:48 PM Re: Lyoto Machida uses karate in mma? [Re: Kimo2007]
creative Offline

Loc: UK
Quote:

I always look at the dissmissive statements with wonder, I know plenty of fighters, both Pro and people who I workout with that would benifit greatly from certain Kata.

The olde karate masters designed a kata with UFC tournament in mind. They were ahead of their time. Would love to see this kata.

Page 2 of 39 < 1 2 3 4 ... 38 39 >

Moderator:  Ames, Cord, MattJ, Reiki, Ronin1966 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Ryukyu Art
Artifacts from the Ryukyu Kingdom missing since WWII. Visit www.ShisaLion.Org to view pictures

Best Stun Guns
Self Defense Products-stun guns, pepper spray, tasers and more

Surveillance 4U
Complete surveillance systems for covert operations or secure installation security

Asylum Images
Book presents photo tour of the Trans-Allegany Lunatic Asylum. A must if you're going to take a ghost tour!

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga