FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
1 registered (Matakiant), 33 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
mohdnabeel, sunny, swordy, jerrybarry24, SenseiGregT
22915 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Ed_Morris 4
AndyLA 3
Matakiant 3
Zombie Zero 2
futsaowingchun 2
September
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
New Topics
Martial News
by Matakiant
09/23/14 06:42 AM
STX Kickboxing Seminar
by Marcus Charles
09/09/14 06:57 PM
Biu Tzu- 1st section applications
by futsaowingchun
09/05/14 10:56 PM
2014 World Championships Chelyabinsk: The Gallery
by ergees
09/01/14 03:51 AM
Biu Tzu- Snake hand strike
by futsaowingchun
08/27/14 09:02 PM
An open letter to bunkai researchers...
by Bartfast
08/05/14 04:18 PM
The Karate punch
by Matakiant
10/30/13 07:41 AM
Where Are They Now?
by Dobbersky
05/30/13 08:08 AM
mindfullness meditation
by
01/06/09 11:27 AM
** Introduce Yourself! **
by
05/13/07 08:02 AM
Recent Posts
Martial News
by Matakiant
09/23/14 06:42 AM
attacked from behind
by AndyLA
09/19/14 09:05 AM
An open letter to bunkai researchers...
by Matakiant
09/18/14 07:11 AM
The Karate punch
by Matakiant
09/18/14 06:07 AM
** Introduce Yourself! **
by Zombie Zero
09/16/14 04:43 PM
Eugue Ryu
by kolslaw
09/12/14 03:35 PM
Biu Tzu- 1st section applications
by futsaowingchun
09/05/14 10:56 PM
2014 World Championships Chelyabinsk: The Gallery
by ergees
09/01/14 03:51 AM
mindfullness meditation
by log1call
08/31/14 09:43 PM
Biu Tzu- Snake hand strike
by futsaowingchun
08/27/14 09:02 PM
Forum Stats
22915 Members
36 Forums
35576 Topics
432496 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 10 of 39 < 1 2 ... 8 9 10 11 12 ... 38 39 >
Topic Options
#397210 - 05/28/08 10:18 AM Re: Lyoto Machida uses karate in mma? [Re: JKogas]
dandjurdjevic Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Australia
I wouldn't call it BAD JKogas!

Speculating is a lot of fun. Haven't you watched that scene at the barbers in "Coming to America" when Eddie Murphy and Arsenio Hall play old codgers debating who was better out of various vintage-era boxers?

And for the record, I just lurvved that singer from the band "Sexual Chocolate". "Man, that boy is good!"

#397211 - 05/28/08 10:21 AM Re: Lyoto Machida uses karate in mma? [Re: dandjurdjevic]
BrianS Offline
Higher rank than you
Professional Poster

Loc: Northwest Arkansas
TMI Dan,lol!!

If nothing else, this is entertaining!

I have watched a lot of mma shows. I love it when some guys spend half the show trash talking about what they are going to do and inflating their abilities, only to get ktfo in less than 30seconds!!

#397212 - 05/28/08 10:49 AM Re: Lyoto Machida uses karate in mma? [Re: BrianS]
Seiken Offline

Loc: USA
This and its corresponding pages might help understand why kata may or may not work for some people.

http://library.thinkquest.org/C005704/content_hwl_conditioning.php3

Brian, I didnt answer because I am lazy some of what I want to say would be like writing a book. I felt like your comment was more frustration and not really your exact truth on kata, more to get your point across. Of course im most likely wrong lol..

I understand where your coming from, kata is ultimately useless without other factors weighing in on its overall development. But, IMO some of which can still be trained if brought to the persons attention through solo kata training. Mainly visualization, intent, balance, posture, control, memory, breathing, strength etc.. very basic things. Can be learned & improved through kata.

I was also looking for a better way to explain myself. Which is what the link above is for, interesting read none the less.

BTW, Not that it was directed at me or anything, but just to clarify. I didnt know you did American Goju, personally makes no difference to me.. like you said any karate can be strong. (even ATA ) and I dont consider Shotokan watered down at all. I never bought into the myth of uber deadly techniques being changed or left out.

Just like to point out something. Machida is not an average person. For one, consider hes still a relatively large & strong young person with no skills... would you still want to fight him? Add in his natural attributes which aid anything he may know.

He excelled in karate tournaments, and he excelled in MMA. Which leads me to believe he would of excelled at Football or Chess if thats what he chose. Most fighters and world class athletes train above and beyond what average fighters and athletes do. They attain skills and skill sets which are related to their own skills. And they attain & maintain them quicker and longer, probably for many reasons out of their control. An average 6-8 hour MMA day covers about two weeks in your average 3x a week 1hour martial artist regiment. HS Wrestlers remember two a days? If corner store Karate was like that we probably would not be having this discussion.

#397213 - 05/28/08 10:58 AM Re: Lyoto Machida uses karate in mma? [Re: dandjurdjevic]
JKogas Offline
Prolific

Loc: North Carolina
Well, you know what I mean. You take the bad with the good in other words. I just think that there is (often) a lot more of the former here.

#397214 - 05/28/08 11:10 AM Re: Lyoto Machida uses karate in mma? [Re: JKogas]
dandjurdjevic Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Australia
Don't worry - I know what you mean...

#397215 - 05/28/08 12:43 PM Re: Lyoto Machida uses karate in mma? [Re: BrianS]
medulanet Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Phoenix, Arizona USA
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

BTW, shotokan has been mocked and claimed to be watered down by those who are now praising Machida here, pfft...lol!!

Actually Brian, its interesting that you mention that, becuase its not his success which causes me to clearly see his Shotokan training, but its the large number of fights which end in decision. He still retains the in and out sportive methods that modern shotokan sport karate has rather than the live or die okinawan diving straight in methods. I could see an okinawan karateka's fights never going to decision.

I should have known.

I guess one day we will have a true okinawan master like yourself that will completely dominate the mma world by just the use of kata and karate training. pfft....

Brian, I am no master. I am just a student still trying to get the basics down.

#397216 - 05/28/08 12:50 PM Re: Lyoto Machida uses karate in mma? [Re: creative]
medulanet Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Phoenix, Arizona USA
Quote:

Quote:

Wrong. Chuck Liddell's techniques come from a katacentric system similar to many okinawan karate styles. Its just that after Hack learned the system and how to fight with it he eliminated the kata and called it Hawaiian Kempo. I have seen the similarities first hand since I used to train with a Hawaiian 8th Dan trained by William Chow. I used to help him prepare his one student for his BB.

But kata is not used anymore, so to credit kata to his striking is misleading.

It is easy to credit kata, doesn't make those credits worthy. Okinawan striking is only good because it was from china, Chinese is only good because it came from India, was only good because it came from what ever! (just making a point i know this is not the history....)

But that's just it creative. Maybe its your memory or just your thinking is all fouled up, but I was responding to your question of using "anything that appears similar to karate" not kata specifically. Its easy to change your story mid stream. But I know what you said and will point it out with YOUR own quotes. Now if you would like to ask a different question to fit you needs go ahead.

#397217 - 05/28/08 01:45 PM Re: Lyoto Machida uses karate in mma? [Re: medulanet]
creative Offline

Loc: UK
My memory is fine.

I do not consider Chucks striking to "appear similar to karate" strikes.

In your post you clearly attempt to add weight to the use of kata by by saying:

"chuck leddells techniques come from a KATACENTRIC system similar to many okinawan karate styles"

You added specificity to kata. - Are your arguements not holding up? Is it you who is attempting to change the discussion?

Again, I don't see anything specifically karate like in Chucks striking....I only assume you were talking about his striking, or were you referring to his grappling techniques being learned from katacentric Okinawan like systems Medulanet?

So is there anyone else who uses karate (like) strikes in UFC? Not that I can think of.

#397218 - 05/28/08 02:17 PM Re: Lyoto Machida uses karate in mma? [Re: MattJ]
jude33 Offline
Veteran

Quote:

Quote:

Whose style of boxing? Are you talking the pitter patter point scoring style of boxing ? Or the style Tyson used?

WTF?

Jude, have you ever done any boxing at all? Or any martial arts, for that matter? Questions like that make me think you have not.

Hi Matt, I am just a mere inferior student.
But I would like your opinion on what you would call this from Chris Byrd ? and how do you rate those punches?

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=lM-9cfe94BM

As opposed to

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=_ycjY3Yu-NQ

Could I ask you to describe tyson method's of countering the jab? Its on the video?
If ever you would like to discuss boxing in great depth. Technicaly particuler defensive boxing I would like that. perhaps on the boxing thread?

Jude

Edited by jude33 (05/28/08 02:20 PM)

#397219 - 05/28/08 02:52 PM Re: Lyoto Machida uses karate in mma? [Re: dandjurdjevic]
jude33 Offline
Veteran

Quote:

I was reluctant to put the video on Youtube for all the "that wouldn't work" type comments you invariably get from keyboard ninjas. In the end I'm fairly thick skinned so I put it on anyway. I'm not the world's best fighter - "this is who I am and what I do" is my attitude.

Get respect for posting them. It is light sparring so nothing more could be expected. Regards keyboard ninjas invite them to train if they are local. Personaly I wouldnt just being a mere student.

Jude

Page 10 of 39 < 1 2 ... 8 9 10 11 12 ... 38 39 >

Moderator:  Ames, Cord, MattJ, Reiki, Ronin1966 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Stun Guns
Variety of stun gun devices for your protection

Buy Pepper Spray
Worry about your family when you’re not around? Visit us today to protect everything you value.

Koryu.com
Accurate information on the ancient martial traditions of the Japanese samurai

C2 Taser
Protect yourself and loved ones from CRIME with the latest C2 Taser citizen model. Very effective.

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga