FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 26 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
LeroyCFischer, JadeKing, Beefcake, WesJones, simonajones111
22933 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
futsaowingchun 2
charlie 2
Zombie Zero 1
harlan 1
Matakiant 1
November
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
New Topics
unrecognized kata
by William_Bent
11/19/14 07:05 PM
I gained a lot of month in the last few months
by simonajones111
11/19/14 04:54 AM
Siu Lin Tao-3rd section applications
by futsaowingchun
11/13/14 06:48 PM
Screen fighting course UK December 2014
by charlie
11/11/14 04:09 PM
Siu Lin Tao-1st section Pak Sao explanations
by futsaowingchun
11/09/14 10:30 PM
The Karate punch
by Matakiant
10/30/13 07:41 AM
Where Are They Now?
by Dobbersky
05/30/13 08:08 AM
MA style video library
by
03/22/06 03:18 PM
Recent Posts
unrecognized kata
by William_Bent
11/19/14 07:05 PM
I gained a lot of month in the last few months
by simonajones111
11/19/14 04:54 AM
Siu Lin Tao-3rd section applications
by futsaowingchun
11/13/14 06:48 PM
Screen fighting course UK December 2014
by charlie
11/11/14 04:09 PM
MA style video library
by charlie
11/11/14 04:05 PM
Siu Lin Tao-1st section Pak Sao explanations
by futsaowingchun
11/09/14 10:30 PM
The Karate punch
by Matakiant
10/29/14 10:01 PM
Forum Stats
22933 Members
36 Forums
35589 Topics
432521 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 3 of 39 < 1 2 3 4 5 ... 38 39 >
Topic Options
#397140 - 05/27/08 01:52 PM Re: Lyoto Machida uses karate in mma? [Re: BrianS]
Kimo2007 Offline
Veteran

Quote:

Everytime I write something that others perceive as negative about kata I am met with "inadequate training," "not training the right kata." lol

Well if you dismiss and enire method of training out of hand, those who use that method and have had sucess will assume you have just never been exposed to the proper use and application of that type of training.

Now if you said, you understand how training Kata could be benifical, but you prefer other methods, people probably give you some slack. Stating it won't help 1 bit, will get you what you get.

Quote:

What is the right kata for mma kimo? I wonder if Azato, Itosu,Miyagi or Higaonna knew about the ufc?

Why would they need to know about the UFC? Sport combat has been around for centuries.

In terms of which Kata (or form depending on which system you study) any that focus on stepping offline, angles of attack, transitional footwork, changes of level, power and focus would help an MMA fighter. Any Kata/form that trains in conserving body motion and maximizing power would be a huge help to an MMA fighter.

You don't like Kata? Fine, there are pther ways to train that are effective, but to say Kata is worthless is simply not true.

#397141 - 05/27/08 02:04 PM Re: Lyoto Machida uses karate in mma? [Re: Kimo2007]
BrianS Offline
Higher rank than you
Professional Poster

Loc: Northwest Arkansas
Kimo,

You are way off base,read my post again. I'm a goju guy for heaven's sake!!

Simply doing kata will not help you. anyone can go through the motions, you must be able to apply the principles for it to be effective.

Hothead.

#397142 - 05/27/08 02:17 PM Re: Lyoto Machida uses karate in mma? [Re: BrianS]
Kimo2007 Offline
Veteran

Quote:

You are way off base,read my post again. I'm a goju guy for heaven's sake!!

Simply doing kata will not help you. anyone can go through the motions, you must be able to apply the principles for it to be effective.

Well of course, but how does this statement line up with it won't help one iota? Maybe my inference didn't line up with you implication, but what I read was you thought kata cannot help you in an MMA fight(or at least not very much), I think it can, and I see plenty of fighters both in the ring and where I train that would benifit.

Quote:

Hothead.

You are the one yelling

#397143 - 05/27/08 02:30 PM Re: Lyoto Machida uses karate in mma? [Re: Kimo2007]
jude33 Offline
Veteran

Quote:

Well of course, but how does this statement line up with it won't help one iota? Maybe my inference didn't line up with you implication, but what I read was you thought kata cannot help you in an MMA fight(or at least not very much), I think it can, and I see plenty of fighters both in the ring and where I train that would benifit.

Quote:

Hothead.

Yep. If a person doesnt know the kata in the first place then how can they learn the principles of that kata to apply to reality?

So solo kata performance is needed and does help. In the beggining.

Jude

#397144 - 05/27/08 02:31 PM Re: Lyoto Machida uses karate in mma? [Re: Kimo2007]
BrianS Offline
Higher rank than you
Professional Poster

Ok. So your position that simply going through the motions of a particular kata will help you in an mma fight. Got it.

#397145 - 05/27/08 02:33 PM Re: Lyoto Machida uses karate in mma? [Re: Kimo2007]
creative Offline

Loc: UK
Quote:

In terms of which Kata (or form depending on which system you study) any that focus on stepping offline, angles of attack, transitional footwork, changes of level, power and focus would help an MMA fighter. Any Kata/form that trains in conserving body motion and maximizing power would be a huge help to an MMA fighter.

That would be most kata then? Performing kata would not be a effective way of training the above. What is the right way to do kata to improve MMA.

If you're MMA mates cannot do the above mentioned things, either they are beginners, or should change school quickly.

#397146 - 05/27/08 02:35 PM Re: Lyoto Machida uses karate in mma? [Re: BrianS]
creative Offline

Loc: UK
Quote:

Ok. So your position that simply going through the motions of a particular kata will help you in an mma fight. Got it.

....so long as they do not attack you wrong.

#397147 - 05/27/08 02:46 PM Re: Lyoto Machida uses karate in mma? [Re: BrianS]
jude33 Offline
Veteran

Quote:

Doing the kata doesn't mean flip. Anyone can go through the movements over and over and it wouldn't help one iota.

But a person has to know the kata to work on the principles in the first place.

Understanding the kata and applying the principles would help

Exactly but to do that then kata practice is required.

Quote:

,but not so much in an mma environment. Kata was not designed for mma, it was designed for self defense and life preservation.

Yep but surely there will be some techniques that can be used in MMA me thinks?
such as
Elbows,
punches,
forearm strikes,
parrying, etc etc.
Any body think of anymore? Could start a list here?

Didint thai boxing start life as muay boran? That had forms I believe? Are the same kicks used in MMA?

Well with out the correct movement of kata the techniques and principles arent to good? Logicaly they are practiced , isolated and drilled seperately and in two man drills. So I suppose it is a whole entity.

Jude

#397148 - 05/27/08 02:54 PM Re: Lyoto Machida uses karate in mma? [Re: jude33]
BrianS Offline
Higher rank than you
Professional Poster

Jeez jude, would you figure out how to use the quote function already?

#397149 - 05/27/08 02:56 PM Re: Lyoto Machida uses karate in mma? [Re: BrianS]
Kimo2007 Offline
Veteran

Quote:

How could you possibly come to that conclusion from what posted? Either pass the bottle or lay off the hooch!

Quote:

Performing kata would not be a effective way of training the above

You are so very wrong.

Quote:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

....so long as they do not attack you wrong.

This just shows a gross misunderstanding of Kata training and application. It's not an "if he does this, you do that" situation.

Page 3 of 39 < 1 2 3 4 5 ... 38 39 >

Moderator:  Ames, Cord, MattJ, Reiki, Ronin1966 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Fight Videos
Night club fight footage and street fights captured with the world's first bouncer spy cam

How to Matrix!
Learn ten times faster with new training method. Learn entire arts for as little as $10 per disk.

Self Defense
Stun guns, pepper spray, Mace and self defense products. Alarms for personal and home use.

TASER MC26C
Stop An Urban Gorilla: Get 2 FREE TASER M26C Replacement Air Cartridges With Each New TASER M26C!

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga