FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 32 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
TomRosenberg, jessylin, play, Keith_G, LeroyCFischer
22937 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
jwwmantis 2
LeroyCFischer 1
William_Bent 1
futsaowingchun 1
Zombie Zero 1
December
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30 31
New Topics
Freeing Hand-Wing Chun's last movements
by futsaowingchun
12/17/14 09:40 PM
2015 Master Yang Jwing-Ming Seminar
by jwwmantis
12/05/14 10:36 PM
unrecognized kata
by William_Bent
11/19/14 07:05 PM
Where Are They Now?
by Dobbersky
05/30/13 08:08 AM
The Beginners Guide To Stretching
by
12/27/06 11:43 AM
Your true goal
by
03/03/06 07:16 AM
Recent Posts
Freeing Hand-Wing Chun's last movements
by futsaowingchun
12/17/14 09:40 PM
Your true goal
by Beefcake
12/11/14 02:44 AM
The Beginners Guide To Stretching
by LeroyCFischer
12/04/14 02:07 AM
unrecognized kata
by William_Bent
11/19/14 07:05 PM
Forum Stats
22937 Members
36 Forums
35591 Topics
432526 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 19 of 39 < 1 2 ... 17 18 19 20 21 ... 38 39 >
Topic Options
#397300 - 06/02/08 08:07 PM Re: Lyoto Machida uses karate in mma? [Re: medulanet]
BrianS Offline
Higher rank than you
Professional Poster

Loc: Northwest Arkansas
1. You still haven't shown how Machida's kata or his karate won him his mma fights.

2. Jude brought up the point about how much he weighs(109kilo's) out of the blue, and wants to know how much everyone else weighs. My guess is to make people feel intimidated.pfft. I am taller,therefore, I am right according to that logic.
Jude is always riding your posts here,so I link you two buds together.

3. Your arguments about pure styles or all okinawan styles being more superior or deadlier than any other karate style is pure crap and you can't prove otherwise. we have never seen you do anything. I have seen your website when you are on your duff examining a certificate,lol, is that from kata?

I believe in kata and karate. It has and continues to serve me well and I've been at it longer than you,homeskillet. I do know that kata and karate training is not meant for mma style fighting and if you only study "katacentric" styles, you will get your ass handed to you. Ofcourse,unless you include mma training and call it karate like you boyz do.

Edited by BrianS (06/02/08 08:08 PM)

#397301 - 06/02/08 11:51 PM Re: Lyoto Machida uses karate in mma? [Re: BrianS]
medulanet Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Phoenix, Arizona USA
Well Brian, please in the future don't lump me in with anyone. Respond to what I say when referring to me to lessen confusion and to be more accurate.

As for training longer than me you probably have. However, that is not so much of a concern for me. I have met many who have trained longer than me. However, I personally would not like to be lumped with the "I have been training a long time club" as the only qualifier of skill in the art. I played football with guys who played a lot longer than me as well. There were a lot of them that didn't impress me either.

And I'm not sure what problems you have with me sitting on the floor looking at certificates. I guess if you really want to know what I know or how I train you'll have to come to the desert in Phoenix, LA, Vegas, or Miami as these are the places where you will usually find me these days.

But ultimately I am really not sure why people have a problem with how others train and the things they do with their karate. Victor Smith frequently talks about the various things you can do with kata and everyone says "Wow Vic, that's wonderful. May I please have another." Yet others, no so much. Oh well. There is nothing new under the sun. But I like to train in the shade. (I sort of ripped that from 300, but I liked it.)

As for Machida's kata helping him in MMA I go by what he says. And he says he purposefully adapted his karate striking to fight in MMA. I believe him. In fact, I have no reason not to believe him. That is unless he is coming out with any books or DVDs soon. Right guys?

#397302 - 06/03/08 12:47 AM Re: Lyoto Machida uses karate in mma? [Re: medulanet]
BrianS Offline
Higher rank than you
Professional Poster

As you do, I will post how I please, thank you.

Quote:

As for training longer than me you probably have. However, that is not so much of a concern for me. I have met many who have trained longer than me. However, I personally would not like to be lumped with the "I have been training a long time club" as the only qualifier of skill in the art. I played football with guys who played a lot longer than me as well. There were a lot of them that didn't impress me either.

Herein lies my problem with you. You have no idea how I train,but because I train in American Goju it just can't be as good as th3 d34dly Okinawan karate of Arizona. You bring this up in every thread about pure styles and the differences that you believe. I'm not buying it.

Quote:

And I'm not sure what problems you have with me sitting on the floor looking at certificates. I guess if you really want to know what I know or how I train you'll have to come to the desert in Phoenix, LA, Vegas, or Miami as these are the places where you will usually find me these days.

Bla bla bla. I'm right here in NWA and we have had get together's in K.C. Where have you been during those?

You have the website! Put some videos on there already of th3 d34dly Okinawan karate of the desert.

Quote:

But ultimately I am really not sure why people have a problem with how others train and the things they do with their karate. Victor Smith frequently talks about the various things you can do with kata and everyone says "Wow Vic, that's wonderful. May I please have another." Yet others, no so much. Oh well. There is nothing new under the sun. But I like to train in the shade. (I sort of ripped that from 300, but I liked it.)

I post what I believe no matter who I'm replying to. I don't see where this fits in anymore that the fact that jude weighs 109kilos.

Quote:

As for Machida's kata helping him in MMA I go by what he says. And he says he purposefully adapted his karate striking to fight in MMA. I believe him. In fact, I have no reason not to believe him. That is unless he is coming out with any books or DVDs soon. Right guys?

Still don't know what he says about it.

Striking is just one small aspect and according to you he "adapted" even that. So, is it still karate if he had to change it?

#397303 - 06/03/08 01:01 AM Re: Lyoto Machida uses karate in mma? [Re: BrianS]
medulanet Offline
Professional Poster

Quote:

Striking is just one small aspect and according to you he "adapted" even that. So, is it still karate if he had to change it?

Brian, no one is saying that he ONLY uses karate in MMA. That was never what the discussion was about. And him adapting his karate striking to MMA is like me adapting my karate to fight a short person or a tall person. The answer would be yes. One thing about karate is it is adaptable by its very nature. Remember when I posted about improvisation? And you should have watched the PPV more closely. Machida states he uses his karate in the cage in a pre fight interview.

Regarding how you train its simple. It really doesn't concern me how you train. This is because what you do does not affect me. Therefore there would be no reason for me to go to these places if it holds little interest for me.

And finally, why would I put video of what I do on my website to please you?

#397304 - 06/03/08 12:27 PM Re: Lyoto Machida uses karate in mma? [Re: medulanet]
BrianS Offline
Higher rank than you
Professional Poster

He used much more than karate though. Very little of it was karate. Do you disagree?

I do understand what you are saying about adapting,but there are limitations. You can't turn shiko dachi into a sprawl by adapting, that is my point.

Quote:

And finally, why would I put video of what I do on my website to please you?

Look under your user name. "put up or shut up."

How ironic!

#397305 - 06/03/08 12:40 PM Re: Lyoto Machida uses karate in mma? [Re: BrianS]
medulanet Offline
Professional Poster

Quote:

Look under your user name. "put up or shut up."

How ironic!

Exactly, do you even understand what that means? It does not mean that I will grant every request by every keyboard warrior on this site. It means I will back up what I say. I have explained what I do in detail. If there are people who are unable to understand what I post they can come and visit me. Where have I posted anything that warrants proof of what I do with video? The ironic thing is that you believe I will run out and do things because of B.S. requests.

#397306 - 06/03/08 12:50 PM Re: Lyoto Machida uses karate in mma? [Re: medulanet]
copyright Offline

As far as the karate training for his MMA matches. That is the core of his striking training and all the information I've seen so far is that he has not trained MT or anything else as his the basis for his striking.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lyoto_Machida

#397307 - 06/03/08 01:12 PM Re: Lyoto Machida uses karate in mma? [Re: copyright]
BrianS Offline
Higher rank than you
Professional Poster

From site you posted:

Quote:

In college he was introduced to Japanese pro wrestling legend Antonio Inoki who took Machida to groom as a protégé. He would continue training, taking up Muay Thai in Thailand and wrestling at the New Japan Pro Wrestling dojo in Tokyo.

#397308 - 06/03/08 01:59 PM Re: Lyoto Machida uses karate in mma? [Re: BrianS]
copyright Offline

Whoops. Maybe it would be better to read the whole thing. I still think his striking foundation has come from his karate training.

#397309 - 06/03/08 05:18 PM Re: Lyoto Machida uses karate in mma? [Re: copyright]
creative Offline

Loc: UK
Just as an overview:

From a rational/logical/skeptical/common sensical perspective, is kata be a useful tool for a UFC type fighter?

YES =
From kata you can acquire some striking techniques that can be taken from kata and practiced as live drills and sparring.

Kata may contain some level of wrestling which can be taken from kata and trained in a live manner.

For these reason, yes kata is a useful tool for a UFC fighter.

NO =
The techniques of kata appear very dissimilar to those used in UFC.

There is inadequate striking and at best very limited wrestling and no ground fighting in kata.

Kata does not include many other factor such as strategy, footwork (etc, etc) which are vital in MMA competition.

Therefore kata is not a useful tool for a UFC type fighter.

Is this fair? Would anyone like to add anything?

Page 19 of 39 < 1 2 ... 17 18 19 20 21 ... 38 39 >

Moderator:  Ames, Cord, MattJ, Reiki, Ronin1966 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Stun Guns
Variety of stun gun devices for your protection

Buy Pepper Spray
Worry about your family when you’re not around? Visit us today to protect everything you value.

Koryu.com
Accurate information on the ancient martial traditions of the Japanese samurai

C2 Taser
Protect yourself and loved ones from CRIME with the latest C2 Taser citizen model. Very effective.

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga