FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 28 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Bartfast, ZapEm, AndyLA, danacohenn, ksusanc
22906 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Dobbersky 9
AndyLA 5
futsaowingchun 4
VDJ 2
FrankyFruits 2
August
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
New Topics
Chum Kiu 2nd section applications
by futsaowingchun
08/20/14 09:54 PM
2013 World Championship Rio: The Gallery (HD)
by ergees
08/19/14 05:22 AM
Chi Sao demonstration
by futsaowingchun
08/14/14 10:57 PM
Decent Fight channel
by FrankyFruits
08/07/14 09:19 PM
2014 European Championships Cadets Athens: Videos
by ergees
08/07/14 10:00 AM
Life goes on....
by Dobbersky
08/07/14 05:59 AM
An open letter to bunkai researchers...
by Bartfast
08/05/14 04:18 PM
Applied center line theory
by futsaowingchun
07/28/14 08:55 AM
centerline concepts
by futsaowingchun
07/14/14 10:49 PM
ITF TaeKwonDo or Shotokan Karate????
by Dobbersky
07/10/14 07:14 AM
Recent Posts
Chum Kiu 2nd section applications
by futsaowingchun
08/20/14 09:54 PM
2013 World Championship Rio: The Gallery (HD)
by ergees
08/19/14 05:22 AM
ITF TaeKwonDo or Shotokan Karate????
by VDJ
08/15/14 05:46 PM
Chi Sao demonstration
by futsaowingchun
08/14/14 10:57 PM
The Karate punch
by Dobbersky
08/12/14 05:14 AM
** Introduce Yourself! **
by Dobbersky
08/11/14 05:03 AM
Decent Fight channel
by FrankyFruits
08/07/14 09:19 PM
2014 European Championships Cadets Athens: Videos
by ergees
08/07/14 10:00 AM
Life goes on....
by Dobbersky
08/07/14 05:59 AM
A post for those who might become martial artists.
by AndyLA
08/06/14 07:25 AM
Forum Stats
22906 Members
36 Forums
35571 Topics
432473 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#396899 - 05/23/08 09:41 PM speed breaks!
TKD_X Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: HERE
so i tried an unsupported reverse punch speed break today. one where you drop a board and hit it in midair. first time put a nick in sabunim's wall when it didn't break. he told me to do it in the parking lot. what that did was put me in front of the community skatepark and all of the thugs associated with it. so i hold up the board and let off a mean ki-hap. by the time i went to punch it they were all screaming back at me. i had one more unsuccessful go after that. then i asked my friend to just hold the bottom so it would still be relatively unsupported but at least not moving. that was when it finally broke. so i went back in the dojang as the skatepark applauded. now i'm home icing my knuckle . i don't know if it's broken, it'll be a pretty shade of blue tomorrow. anyone want to share some knowledge of breaking unsupported or relatively unsupported 1-inch boards?

#396900 - 05/23/08 10:54 PM Re: speed breaks! [Re: TKD_X]
jeff_andle Offline

Loc: Falmouth, Maine USA
Quote:

so i tried an unsupported reverse punch speed break today. one where you drop a board and hit it in midair. first time put a nick in sabunim's wall when it didn't break. he told me to do it in the parking lot. what that did was put me in front of the community skatepark and all of the thugs associated with it. so i hold up the board and let off a mean ki-hap. by the time i went to punch it they were all screaming back at me. i had one more unsuccessful go after that. then i asked my friend to just hold the bottom so it would still be relatively unsupported but at least not moving. that was when it finally broke. so i went back in the dojang as the skatepark applauded. now i'm home icing my knuckle . i don't know if it's broken, it'll be a pretty shade of blue tomorrow. anyone want to share some knowledge of breaking unsupported or relatively unsupported 1-inch boards?

Hitting a moving board is a fool's errand. i bet most of the damage to your knuckles happenned then. Especially plastic rebreaks.

Have a friend dangle it between thumb and finger and hit it knuckles on the line you want to break.

#396901 - 05/24/08 01:45 AM Re: speed breaks! [Re: TKD_X]
BrianS Offline
Higher rank than you
Professional Poster

Loc: Northwest Arkansas
What's the purpose in this?

#396902 - 05/24/08 03:21 AM Re: speed breaks! [Re: BrianS]
oldcoach Offline

Ah...to climb the mountain because it's there, to break the mid-air board because it CAN be done, to ring the door-bell and run away...such is the call of the human spirit that is free...and the intemperance and bravado of youth

Ah yes, I was young once...

Quote:

anyone want to share some knowledge of breaking unsupported or relatively unsupported 1-inch boards?

Yep.

Leave them things to Bruce and Jean-Claude

#396903 - 05/24/08 09:38 AM Re: speed breaks! [Re: oldcoach]
VDJ Offline
Veteran

Quote:

Ah...to climb the mountain because it's there, to break the mid-air board because it CAN be done, to ring the door-bell and run away...such is the call of the human spirit that is free...and the intemperance and bravado of youth

Ah yes, I was young once...

Quote:

anyone want to share some knowledge of breaking unsupported or relatively unsupported 1-inch boards?

Yep.

Leave them things to Bruce and Jean-Claude

Actually I have to admit watching GM He Il Cho throw a board about 30 feet into the air and break it with a spin hook kick was pretty impressive. Oh, I forgot to mention he was blindfolded as well. No real purpose other than entertainment I guess. If you REALLY want to challenge yourself, try a Louisville slugger with your shin

VDJ

#396904 - 05/24/08 01:37 PM Re: speed breaks! [Re: VDJ]
TKD_X Offline
Enthusiast

i just wanted to see if i could do it. just like breaking 5 boards is a demonstration of strength and precision, speedbreaks demonstrate...speed. there are less risky ways to do it like having someone hold a small part of it, but if i ever wanted to do it in demonstration, it would look better to do it solo. keep in mind i didn't throw it up. i just held it with one hand, dropped it, and punched with the other hand. the reason i was practicing is because i have a 2nd degree black belt test approaching and i am contemplating which tecniques i would like to break with. i wanted to know if i could do it to save myself some promblems on the test day in front of the grandmaster. now i know i'm gonna have to have someone hold part of it. just trial and error. board breaks are experiments. if you don't challenge yourself, how can you excel. would you do the same break you did at your white belt test at a black belt test? probably not, because each time you challenge yourself to do a little more. i've done reverse punch power breaks, now i wanted to try something more difficult. so no one here has ever tried a speed break? as much as i appreciate your criticisms (not being sarcastic, i do appreciate them), i was rather looking for advice on the execution of a speed break.

#396905 - 05/24/08 02:55 PM Re: speed breaks! [Re: TKD_X]
Andymcc Offline

Loc: Rochester NY, USA
Well for my 3rd dan test I did something similar. However it was not a punch, where your knuckes could take some real damage with the slightest change of angle of the board. I would stear away from that... just my own opinion.
But for mine, I did the same idea as yours, but it was with a spinning hook kick. My left arm started straight out, holding the board in front of myself. I tossed it up... about 2 feet, and executed the spinning hook kick to come around and break it as the board lowered.
On the upward toss, the board rotated, but did not change it's centerline, if you know what I mean. It took some work to get that toss right to keep the board from angleing even the slightest bit sideways as it fell. I spent quite a bit of time just practing the toss before I even began to practicing trying to kick it. Once I got the feel for exactly how to toss it, the rest of it was mostly timing the kick. That might be something to spend some time on that will help you if your pursue this type of break. Give mine a try... you might like it better than the punch, it will keep you from breaking your hand, and it's pretty flashy and impressive if you can pull it off.
Good luck with your break and your testing.

#396906 - 05/24/08 05:35 PM Re: speed breaks! [Re: Andymcc]
flynch Offline

For our 2nd dan test you hold the board with one hand and break it with the a ounch from the other (partially supported)

For our 3rd dan test you toss the board in the air and break it in mid air (unsupported)

#396907 - 05/24/08 05:39 PM Re: speed breaks! [Re: Andymcc]
VDJ Offline
Veteran

You want to challenge your self? Break 50 boards in 30 seconds. Set up stations with say 5 boards each, travel down each station breaking with the technique of your choice. Really want to challenge yourself, do it without spacers.

VDJ

#396908 - 05/24/08 05:59 PM Re: speed breaks! [Re: VDJ]
TKD_X Offline
Enthusiast

i'm not too sure about the 50 boards in 30 seconds. i think for my upcoming test i'll end up doing a barely supported roundhouse kick due to the fact that my knuckle feels...crunchy today.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Fight Videos
Night club fight footage and street fights captured with the world's first bouncer spy cam

How to Matrix!
Learn ten times faster with new training method. Learn entire arts for as little as $10 per disk.

Self Defense
Stun guns, pepper spray, Mace and self defense products. Alarms for personal and home use.

TASER MC26C
Stop An Urban Gorilla: Get 2 FREE TASER M26C Replacement Air Cartridges With Each New TASER M26C!

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga