FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 53 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Shanktotheright, royal, bobgalle100011, agenonline, TooNice
22862 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
THEFOREVERMAN 3
royal 2
Dobbersky 2
MattJ 2
Marcus Charles 1
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30
New Topics
Judo Olympic Games 1964 Tokyo, The Video Gallery
by ergees
04/01/14 05:26 AM
Muay Thai Seminar with Greg Nelson - Marcus Charle
by Marcus Charles
03/24/14 04:39 PM
Fighting On Saturday!!!
by Dobbersky
03/20/14 05:45 AM
Where Are They Now?
by Dobbersky
05/30/13 08:08 AM
AKK kata question
by
09/04/05 01:27 PM
Recent Posts
Fighting On Saturday!!!
by THEFOREVERMAN
04/16/14 08:22 AM
Muay Thai Seminar with Greg Nelson - Marcus Charle
by THEFOREVERMAN
04/16/14 08:20 AM
AKK kata question
by MattJ
04/04/14 05:45 PM
Judo Olympic Games 1964 Tokyo, The Video Gallery
by ergees
04/01/14 05:26 AM
Forum Stats
22862 Members
36 Forums
35546 Topics
432378 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >
Topic Options
#396286 - 05/21/08 01:39 PM what does master or gand-master mean to you?
jeff_andle Offline

Loc: Falmouth, Maine USA
I'd make this a survey except that I really do not want to prefame the answers. I see people claim various titles in their own styles and i see others granted titles without requesting them per se. So, what do people consider makes one a "master", a "grandmaster"?

I'm also curious as to what one sees as the objective comparable meanings of the various dans...

To me a master is an instructor of instructors and the grandmaster is the steward of the style (making it possible for there to be only one in a style!)

#396287 - 05/21/08 01:44 PM Re: what does master or gand-master mean to you? [Re: jeff_andle]
harlan Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Amherst, MA
You posted in the TKD section. Were you only looking for TKD input?

#396288 - 05/21/08 02:13 PM Re: what does master or gand-master mean to you? [Re: harlan]
jeff_andle Offline

Loc: Falmouth, Maine USA
probably should be moved to general... I am open to discussing all input.

#396289 - 05/21/08 02:20 PM Re: what does master or gand-master mean to you? [Re: jeff_andle]
JMWcorwin Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: SoCal, USA
To me, Master would generally be the point one comes to where the principles of the given art become part of them. This is where creativity enters in and they no longer NEED someone to tell them do this or do that. They being creating their own techniques based on their giving system's principles.

GrandMaster to me is simple. A Master, who has gone to the point of training others to the Master level. A person who has mullitple schools in which a GrandMaster is needed to make final calls on this or that. Grandmaster= Master of Masters.

my 2

#396290 - 05/21/08 02:58 PM Re: what does master or gand-master mean to you? [Re: JMWcorwin]
tkd_high_green Offline
Veteran

Loc: Vermont
Since black belt ranks typically take a specific number of years to obtain, I consider the masters rank to be someone who has consistently and regularly trained around 10 years since they earned their adult black belt. Someone of masters rank should be able to think on their feet, teach others, and be able to learn independently. Regardless of individual skill, they must demonstrate knowledge and understanding of their chosen art and ideally should begin sharing that knowledge with others. (granted not everyone can teaching)

As practitioners get older, their technical skills will often deteriorate due to age or injury, so knowledge and contribution becomes a greater factor in promotion. Grand Masters will often have 35+ years of experience, and have contributed greatly to the survival of their art, by continually expanding their knowledge of the art and teaching it to the next generation of practitioners, running schools, researching and improving techniques, etc.

Laura

#396291 - 05/21/08 03:25 PM Re: what does master or gand-master mean to you? [Re: tkd_high_green]
Dereck Offline
Prolific

Loc: Great White North
I honestly don't know of any Grand Masters in TKD. I have my Instructor who is just that, an Instructor though he holds the belt of 4th Dan. My friend trains under his friend at another school and he is know as Instructor as well; he holds a 5th Dan. A third friend owns another school and he is known as Instructor; he holds a 6th Dan. THEIR Korean teacher holds the rank of 7th Dan and he is called by them their Master.

I would have no problems calling him Master if I trained under him as they consider him their Master. However calling somebody a Grand Master is just too much of a title in my opinion and too much of an ego thing. I'm sure my Instructor and the others could theoretically call themselves Masters however they don't and I like it that way. In fact we call them by their first name followed by "Sir" when addressing them; the same way they address me/others. I like it this way; no ego, no title.

#396292 - 05/21/08 03:54 PM Re: what does master or gand-master mean to you? [Re: tkd_high_green]
JMWcorwin Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: SoCal, USA
Naming a time frame as a qualifier for Master leaves a bad taste in my mouth. I know plenty of advanced black belts with well more than 10 years of black belt experience and teaching at that level. That by no means makes them masters, myself included. I'm a Master then because I got my 1st dan 16 years ago? No.

Everyone learns at different rates and levels. Master should be a measure of understanding and proficiency, not of seniority.

#396293 - 05/21/08 04:13 PM Re: what does master or gand-master mean to you? [Re: JMWcorwin]
EarlWeiss Offline

In the ITF the term "Master" is used to Denote the level of Instructor. Dans 1-3 are novice, 4-6 are expert, 7-8 Master, and 9 is Grandmaster. The term Master at & is fitting for this sytem since to achive that level you have demosnstrated knowledge for the entire syllabus of the system.
This makes any system using the term "Master" of it;'s system when the entire system has not be learned somewhat disingenuous.

In the ITF 30 years of training is not unusuual to achieve the 7th Dan Level.

#396294 - 05/21/08 04:19 PM Re: what does master or gand-master mean to you? [Re: EarlWeiss]
puffadder Offline

Loc: UK
In our system we have students and teachers, When a teacher's students become teachers themselves then that teacher becomes a master. The grandmaster is the most senior master ie the head of the system. It's based on Chinese family tradition of children, father, grandfather and so on. When your children become fathers themselves you become a grandfather.

#396295 - 05/21/08 04:32 PM Re: what does master or gand-master mean to you? [Re: EarlWeiss]
Andymcc Offline

Loc: Rochester NY, USA
People get way too caught up in terminology.
A quick looks at a dictionary reveals the following defintions of master:
* To conquer or overcome: (to master one's pride.)
* Become adept in: (to master a language.)
* A worker qualified to teach apprentices and to carry on a trade independently.
* A person eminently skilled in something, as an occupation, art, or science.

Applied to TKD, Master means any and all of these. Master doesn't mean you know it all ( I believe that term is "Omniscient" ... basically God). Don't go elevating anyone to that stuatus quite yet.

I have my masters' degree, but definitely don't know EVRYTHING there is to know im my field.

And knowing a syllabus... such as the ITF's, still doesn't mena you have learned "all" there is to learn anyway.

So, master (to me) means someone who has achieved a highly expert level of proficiency. But it can't be measured in terms of something as concrete as years of service.

If the ITF considers dans 4-6 "expert", then to me that should translate to master. Doesn't mean you know it all, but as the definition of the word suggests, you have achieved at a very high level.

I also agree with the thought that the term Grandmaster doesn't really need even exist. Is not simply saying somebody is an 8th or 9th dan enough? It's just more uesless terminology to me. Suddenly it makes somebody who is a "master" "less" of an expert. Splitting hairs IMO.

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Stun Guns
Variety of stun gun devices for your protection

Buy Pepper Spray
Worry about your family when you’re not around? Visit us today to protect everything you value.

Koryu.com
Accurate information on the ancient martial traditions of the Japanese samurai

C2 Taser
Protect yourself and loved ones from CRIME with the latest C2 Taser citizen model. Very effective.

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga