FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 41 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
MAWomanTCC, Manu, wlh001, HonestyM57, Sanda_fan
23231 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Zombie Zero 2
Raul Perez 1
exceptionist2 1
November
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
New Topics
Martial Arts by Laura Bonthuis Chen Taijiquan
by MAWomanTCC
10/05/19 03:43 AM
Where Are They Now?
by Dobbersky
05/30/13 08:08 AM
** Introduce Yourself! **
by
05/13/07 08:02 AM
Recent Posts
Martial Arts by Laura Bonthuis Chen Taijiquan
by Zombie Zero
10/18/19 05:30 PM
** Introduce Yourself! **
by Zombie Zero
10/18/19 05:29 PM
Forum Stats
23231 Members
36 Forums
35699 Topics
432766 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#396221 - 05/21/08 11:31 AM Re: Is it cowardly to use a weapon in a fight ? [Re: Defiance]
karate_popo Offline

Loc: NYC
Quote:

Quote:

What you want to do is diffuse the situation - not escalate it to a full-on war. I won't suggest how you go about this - only you will know, given the vagaries of your situation.

well like was said somewhere else, just keep going on with your life, if he comes to your house, you call the police, if you see him in a public place, tell him you are not interested in fighting and walk away, eventually he will go away.. either way that you fight him, with or without a weapon, there is always the chance that the police will be called and you will both get in trouble for fighting,, it's not self defense, because in a fight there is always the option to run away, if you don't have that option, then fight.. but it seems that clearly there is that option...

Well the answer to how to diffuse the situation would be more helpful to me than the entire text you just wrote. Can you give suggestions, all are welcome ?

#396222 - 05/28/08 06:38 AM Re: Is it cowardly to use a weapon in a fight ? [Re: Defiance]
jeff_andle Offline

Loc: Falmouth, Maine USA
Quote:

Well the answer to how to diffuse the situation would be more helpful to me than the entire text you just wrote. Can you give suggestions, all are welcome ?

Honestly, your odds of diffusing (or de-fusing) the tension improved when the guy you insulted back subcontracted his vengeance. Now you have a stronger fighter to deal with but its someone with no real incentive. Here you are looking for a way to give him incentive!

#396223 - 07/31/08 05:48 AM Re: Is it cowardly to use a weapon in a fight ? [Re: jeff_andle]
KickingAngel16 Offline

Loc: Dacula, GA
Bringing a weapon will most likely make it worse. If you are bound determined to take that risk, aren't there the weapons that can be carried around legally? I think the cane is one. Like what many others said, try to think of jail.

#396224 - 07/31/08 02:31 PM Re: Is it cowardly to use a weapon in a fight ? [Re: KickingAngel16]
BrianS Offline
Higher rank than you
Professional Poster

Loc: Northwest Arkansas
Quote:

Bringing a weapon will most likely make it worse. If you are bound determined to take that risk, aren't there the weapons that can be carried around legally? I think the cane is one. Like what many others said, try to think of jail.

Using a weapon for fighting ans using a weapon for self defense are two different things. Personally, I prefer to have the edge.

#396225 - 07/31/08 06:37 PM Re: Is it cowardly to use a weapon in a fight ? [Re: Defiance]
MAGon Offline
Veteran

Loc: Miami, Fl.
Quote:

Well, recently some tough guy insulted one of my best friends. I then insulted him back very badly and now he's probably one of the most [censored] persons on the planet. He says he'll come after me and throw some punches at me, yet first i didn't feel scared at all. I've been through quite some fights and i know how to take punches as well as give them. Yet what worries me is that i've found out he's asking a big and strong friend of his to beat me up instead of himself.

I find that to be quite cowardly and now this big and strong is coming after me, as he knows where i live (he grew up in my neighbourhood). Now i honestly feel scared. I'm 1m77 myself but he's 1m85, so quite taller and also quite stronger, as i know he quite often fights in bars or at party's.

So my question being, is it cowardly to use a weapon such as a home made brass knuckle in a fight against this guy or will this invoke even more fights because he would be [censored] for me using a brass knuckle.

Anyhow, in any case i'm not just going to take these punches because the first dude didn't even apologize for insulting.

So err, what to do ?

1. I'm not going to answer the question posted as the thread's title, 'cause it's misleading. This isn't an unprovoked, self defense situation.

2. In the situation you're facing, use a weapon at your peril.

3. Avoid these people. Repeat, avoid these people. Repeat, avoid these people.

4. If confronted, back off and call the police. You do not want to escalate the situation by getting all macho and getting in each other's faces. The past history of you with these people will not look good to the police. Not only do you have to survive the encounter, you have to survive the legal consequences of it.

5. If attacked, see 4, above.

6. If attacked, can't back out in any way shape or form and it seems that the worst the guy will be able to do to you is give you more lumps than you can give him (I.e.: You're gonna get your a$$ whupped, but not seriously), well, "while he has dinner, you have a salad and a sandwich". Meaning keep it unarmed and give as good as you can even if you're getting the worst of it. Often guys like the one you describe will respect and even fear someone who they've beaten when they're damaged in return, even if less so. Bullies like easy targets.
Don't forget, though, to call, or have someone call, the cops.

7. If attacked, trapped, can't retreat, can't call the cops and you're legitimately sure you're going to wind up seriously hurt, do what you need to do to survive. But escalate only as far as is needed to make the attack cease. Then get ready to pay the piper, dude, 'cause you brought this on yourself.

#396226 - 07/31/08 08:31 PM Re: Is it cowardly to use a weapon in a fight ? [Re: jeff_andle]
JMWcorwin Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: SoCal, USA
Quote:

Honestly, your odds of diffusing (or de-fusing) the tension improved when the guy you insulted back subcontracted his vengeance. Now you have a stronger fighter to deal with but its someone with no real incentive. Here you are looking for a way to give him incentive!

WOW, What an eloquent way of stating that. Well said. I'm going to use that.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Cord, Dedicated1, MattJ, Reiki 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Self Defense
Offering stun guns, pepper spray, tasers and other self defense products not available in stores.

Pepper Spray
Online distributor of self defense supplies like videos, stun guns, Tasers and more.

Spy Cameras
Surveillance, Hidden Cameras, Nanny Cams, Digital Recorders, Spy Equipment, Pocket DVR's and more

Stun Gun
Wholesale Directlhy to the Public! Stun gun and Taser Guns and personal protection products. Keep your loved ones at home safe!

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga