FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 28 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
mohdnabeel, sunny, swordy, jerrybarry24, SenseiGregT
22915 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Ed_Morris 4
futsaowingchun 3
AndyLA 3
Matakiant 2
Zombie Zero 2
September
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
New Topics
STX Kickboxing Seminar
by Marcus Charles
09/09/14 06:57 PM
Biu Tzu- 1st section applications
by futsaowingchun
09/05/14 10:56 PM
2014 World Championships Chelyabinsk: The Gallery
by ergees
09/01/14 03:51 AM
Biu Tzu- Snake hand strike
by futsaowingchun
08/27/14 09:02 PM
Chum Kiu 2nd section applications
by futsaowingchun
08/20/14 09:54 PM
An open letter to bunkai researchers...
by Bartfast
08/05/14 04:18 PM
The Karate punch
by Matakiant
10/30/13 07:41 AM
Where Are They Now?
by Dobbersky
05/30/13 08:08 AM
mindfullness meditation
by
01/06/09 11:27 AM
** Introduce Yourself! **
by
05/13/07 08:02 AM
Recent Posts
attacked from behind
by AndyLA
Today at 09:05 AM
An open letter to bunkai researchers...
by Matakiant
Yesterday at 07:11 AM
The Karate punch
by Matakiant
Yesterday at 06:07 AM
** Introduce Yourself! **
by Zombie Zero
09/16/14 04:43 PM
Eugue Ryu
by kolslaw
09/12/14 03:35 PM
Biu Tzu- 1st section applications
by futsaowingchun
09/05/14 10:56 PM
2014 World Championships Chelyabinsk: The Gallery
by ergees
09/01/14 03:51 AM
mindfullness meditation
by log1call
08/31/14 09:43 PM
Biu Tzu- Snake hand strike
by futsaowingchun
08/27/14 09:02 PM
Chum Kiu 2nd section applications
by futsaowingchun
08/20/14 09:54 PM
Forum Stats
22915 Members
36 Forums
35575 Topics
432495 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 17 of 18 < 1 2 ... 15 16 17 18 >
Topic Options
#395125 - 05/27/08 11:35 AM Re: Kata Embu [Re: Zach_Zinn]
jude33 Offline
Veteran

Quote:

Sure, how about you do the same and stop making vague allusions to me and other people in all your posts? Not fair to come crying when you seem to be guilty of the same thing.

Question on reality and the application of martial arts in S/D seem to be unanswerd by your self . After all this is a martial arts forum and the application of martial arts to a S/D scenario might be expected from a martial arts teacher?
So perhaps you could give the input into the training from a martial artist in to s/d scenarios in the future?
Rather than what qualifies me to make a statement?
Quote:

I think he's trying to refer to me,

Assumptions? Interesting!!

Could we try to keep on topic?

Jude

Edited by jude33 (05/27/08 11:48 AM)

#395126 - 05/27/08 12:06 PM Re: Kata Embu [Re: Zach_Zinn]
dandjurdjevic Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Australia
Quote:

I actually have seen a very good application for this technique in particular in Sanseiryu, I don't know how to call it other than to say it's interpeted sometimes as a type of takedown you see commonly in Goju kata, with a little variation from the standard.

Sorry to sound obnoxious here, but as you know who I train with, I am very comfortable which almost everything i've been shown in terms of bunkai. While I definitely appreciate your alternative view, I doubt we are gonna convince one another of the other's viewpoints on this subject exactly.

I will take a look at the article later, what little I glanced at looked interesting

Nothing obnoxious in your response Zach - it is an appropriate answer and we should all feel free to disagree. Your own confidence in your training methods is admirable and seems well thought through. This is a debate (and a friendly one) not kumite!

I'd love to see the application - I also do it as a take-down, so I suspect we're thinking of the same thing.

I feel free to disagree on a technical matter with some people I highly esteem - it doesn't mean I want to discount the value of their martial art in general. We're arguing a minor technicality and I find it odd when I'm confronted with anger by some people (no one here) "for daring to question x or y" - as if I'm somehow questioning everything else x or y does and not just a particular point.

I am a very analytical person and trained as a lawyer to boot, so I don't mind the cut and thrust of debate... If master x or y takes exception to my sincere attempts at analysis I'm afraid that's their problem. I don't take it personally if someone disagrees with me on a technical point - so long as they have an argument. I hate people disagreeing for the sake of it. I want them to convince me! My views are all susceptible to persuasion. What's the point of discussing things otherwise? I can write in a blog if I just want to rant and rave (which I do anyway!).

#395127 - 05/27/08 01:24 PM Re: Kata Embu [Re: dandjurdjevic]
jude33 Offline
Veteran

Quote:

No restrictions Jude - but every student and every bout is different, depending also on the day, purpose etc. That's just a small selection from years ago. Sweeps are common, but when I was asked to cobble together that sparring video recently I couldn't find any decent sweeps on video for dojo sparring.

Ok

Jude

#395128 - 05/27/08 01:49 PM Re: Kata Embu [Re: harlan]
BrianS Offline
Higher rank than you
Professional Poster

Loc: Northwest Arkansas
Quote:

Help a newbie, please? I'm enjoying listening in to you seniors, but am in the dark about the bunkai of most katas. I don't recall a leg catch in bunkai in Sanseru...is the bunkai broken out in detail somewhere...as a common point of reference?

(if it was, and I missed it, apologies...please point to the post?)

thank you

That is a problem harlan. Most karateka can't agree how a kata is performed much less what the bunkai is supposed to be.

#395129 - 05/27/08 01:54 PM Re: Kata Embu [Re: jude33]
BrianS Offline
Higher rank than you
Professional Poster

Quote:

Part of goju ryu training yet it seems it hasnít been applied or explored and taken further or even used for rehabilitation purposes? or even trained?

Could I ask if you post a training log for strength training on the forum?

Jude

Yeah, that's it jude. I didn't do my hojo undo correctly. And because of my inadequate karate training I have knee injuries. I'm sure it has nothing to do with the fact that I grew 8inches in height in high school.

Now stay on topic and leave me alone, joood.

#395130 - 05/27/08 01:55 PM Re: Kata Embu [Re: BrianS]
harlan Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Amherst, MA
I was learning bunkai for a kata last week, and asked, 'Is this the standard interpretation?'

'Heck NO!' was the reply.

I ass-u-me that there are various interpretations, based on the principles being applied/worked through. I think I once read that folks needed at least 3 levels of interpretation of bunkai for upper level ranks. So...was just looking for one version that all might be discussing...a common reference point.

thanks anyway.

#395131 - 05/27/08 01:59 PM Re: Kata Embu [Re: jude33]
BrianS Offline
Higher rank than you
Professional Poster

Quote:

Zack. Polite request.
How about you get off my case in a personal manner?. Have you heard of PM?
My back ground in goju or indeed in karate is my affair.
If it is something to do with the topic or something I wrote technical then fine. Comment away.
If you would like to prove something then as I said lets hear it about the kata content other wise stay away from the personal stuff.

Thanks

YOU are asking for people to get off your caseand stay on topic? LMFAO!!!

Dan,

I've seen your video's on youtube,but no bunkai without passivity. IMO the short frame you posted earlier was very passive because both knew exactly what to do.

It is my opinion that the bunkai I know cannot be done against full resistance without serious injury to the uke.

BTW, I likw your website and your work. Thanks for your contributions to karate.

#395132 - 05/27/08 02:00 PM Re: Kata Embu [Re: harlan]
BrianS Offline
Higher rank than you
Professional Poster

I see.

#395133 - 05/27/08 02:52 PM Re: Kata Embu [Re: BrianS]
jude33 Offline
Veteran

Quote:

YOU are asking for people to get off your caseand stay on topic? LMFAO!!!

Seems that way. What does as you have stated in capital letters above stand for Brian?
Any chance of spelling the wording as to what you mean?

Thanks

Jude

Edited by jude33 (05/27/08 02:54 PM)

#395134 - 05/27/08 03:58 PM Re: Kata Embu [Re: jude33]
student_of_life Offline
Veteran

Loc: Newfoundland, Canada
are you ever going to get around to answering any of the question you've been asked? like what drills you practice based on the kata? you seem to have all kinds of ways to defeat dan's students based on your observations on the kumite he posted. how is any one getting on your case here by the way? your asking every one questions, and you never answer when your asked them back?

im only asking because you respond to zach even though you said you had both him and myself on ignore, and you seem to respond to zach, but not me?

so please, don't respond to my posts unless you plan to answer what drills you practice (seems you have opinions on all of them, weather or not, and how you spar (you seem to comment on the "weakness" and "openings" found in other's kumite).

failure to respond to the questions asked, AND ONLY THE QUESTIONS ASKED, means you are in fact a douche bag, or i'm still on your ignore list. either or will be acceptable.

and while your at it, fill out some more of your bio please, other than the anime...i mean martial arts you practice.

Page 17 of 18 < 1 2 ... 15 16 17 18 >

Moderator:  Cord, MattJ, Reiki 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Stun Guns
Variety of stun gun devices for your protection

Buy Pepper Spray
Worry about your family when you’re not around? Visit us today to protect everything you value.

Koryu.com
Accurate information on the ancient martial traditions of the Japanese samurai

C2 Taser
Protect yourself and loved ones from CRIME with the latest C2 Taser citizen model. Very effective.

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga