FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 43 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
LeroyCFischer, JadeKing, Beefcake, WesJones, simonajones111
22933 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
charlie 2
futsaowingchun 2
GojuRyuboy13 1
Zombie Zero 1
harlan 1
November
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
New Topics
unrecognized kata
by William_Bent
11/19/14 07:05 PM
I gained a lot of month in the last few months
by simonajones111
11/19/14 04:54 AM
Siu Lin Tao-3rd section applications
by futsaowingchun
11/13/14 06:48 PM
Screen fighting course UK December 2014
by charlie
11/11/14 04:09 PM
Siu Lin Tao-1st section Pak Sao explanations
by futsaowingchun
11/09/14 10:30 PM
I spy kata bunkai..
by GojuRyuboy13
10/29/14 08:28 AM
Judo 2014 World Championships Juniors: The Gallery
by ergees
10/25/14 04:53 PM
The Karate punch
by Matakiant
10/30/13 07:41 AM
Where Are They Now?
by Dobbersky
05/30/13 08:08 AM
MA style video library
by
03/22/06 03:18 PM
Recent Posts
unrecognized kata
by William_Bent
11/19/14 07:05 PM
I gained a lot of month in the last few months
by simonajones111
11/19/14 04:54 AM
Siu Lin Tao-3rd section applications
by futsaowingchun
11/13/14 06:48 PM
Screen fighting course UK December 2014
by charlie
11/11/14 04:09 PM
MA style video library
by charlie
11/11/14 04:05 PM
Siu Lin Tao-1st section Pak Sao explanations
by futsaowingchun
11/09/14 10:30 PM
The Karate punch
by Matakiant
10/29/14 10:01 PM
I spy kata bunkai..
by GojuRyuboy13
10/29/14 08:28 AM
Judo 2014 World Championships Juniors: The Gallery
by ergees
10/25/14 04:53 PM
Forum Stats
22933 Members
36 Forums
35589 Topics
432521 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 10 of 18 < 1 2 ... 8 9 10 11 12 ... 17 18 >
Topic Options
#395055 - 05/21/08 03:48 PM Re: Kata Embu [Re: Zach_Zinn]
jude33 Offline
Veteran

Ok

If I study goju kata then it would seem logical I would be exposed to some goju teachings.

Quote:

No, it doesn't answer any of the questions, despite being argumentative and rude about it, you've failed to even explain or mention one single drill you practice, on a thread where that is the very subject.

I am not going to get in to a personal issue here.

I asked earlier in the thread for a comparison for the techniques found in the basic kata.

For some reason you didnt supply one.

I have been studying goju kata for just over a year.
You ask about certain drills.?
Drills with techniques taken from the kata.
So what I would like see happening is we do a comparison of the techniques in that kata. Then we could determine who has done the amount of study or not. Because if a person doesnt know the extent of the kata then how can they create the drills to cover that kata?
Quote:

Evidentally you can't even describe what vein of Goju you are practicing or who with, pretty suspect to say the least, why should we listen to you when you refuse to provide even this basic information?

So we could prove it by seeing yours and my basic knowledge of that basic kata?

I think if you begin? as I requested?

Jude

Jude

Edited by jude33 (05/21/08 04:16 PM)

#395056 - 05/21/08 04:00 PM Re: Kata Embu [Re: jude33]
Zach_Zinn Offline
Veteran

Loc: Olympia, WA
Quote:

Ok

If I study goju kata then it would seem logical I would be exposed to goju teachings.

Really? So watching some stuff on youtube can constitute training? No, you need someone to teach you or train with you in Goju, just like any MA you can't spontaneously absorb something just because you like it.

Quote:

I asked earlier in the thread for a comparison for the techniques found in the basic kata.
We can still do it if you would like to?
I will let you lead.

I have no idea what you are talking about (big surprise), maybe you can explain it and i'll get back to you. I'm fine with talking about Goju kata, because I actually practice them, and I actually have trained in Goju, and have and do train some of the very drills (the toguchi ones) being deabted in this thread. I don't claim any expertise here, just that i've done the time and I do the drills.

I'm also open about who I train with and what I do. Maybe you should consider doing the same?

Quote:

All the big names dont have a lineage back to the founder?
Which big names?
I find that extremely amusing.
Here is something for you to work on.
Find out the names of the people who studied with the founder.
Trace the lineage through to associations found in The United States.
Then find the ones in the UK.

Or maybe you should just quit beating around the bush and pony up who you train with since you seem to think it's ok to claim a direct link to the founder of Goju Ryu on an internet forum?

Quote:

How can I study goju kata with out absorbing goju teachings?

Jude

"Studying" a martial art on your own is not the same as receiving in or participating in instruction with other people, i'm not sure if this is the case with you though, since you are totally evasive about what you actually do.

Everytime a new subject gets posted it appears you "study" it.

hmmm.

Anyway, for people who aren't Jude33.....new subject, do you think that these sorts of drills are best when there is equal play between attacker and defender, or do you think that they are best when there is a clearer relationship between Tori and Uke?

Alot of people questioned Taira senseis bunkai drill shown here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MmExIWEglSo
For lack of interaction from uke, to me this can in some ways be a plus, I do think there is something to be said for the "back and forth" creating bad habits sometimes.

Edited by Zach_Zinn (05/21/08 04:05 PM)

#395057 - 05/21/08 04:25 PM Re: Kata Embu [Re: Zach_Zinn]
jude33 Offline
Veteran

Ok

I am not making this personal.

If a person doesnt know the full extent of the kata,( as far as can be worked out) or havent realy studied that kata then how can they proffes to know and create drills?

I would like it if you took me up on the offer ?.

I find avoiding discussing the technical aspects or reality aspects of karate, or self defence is something un- usual

Jude

Edited by jude33 (05/21/08 04:47 PM)

#395058 - 05/21/08 04:31 PM Re: Kata Embu [Re: jude33]
student_of_life Offline
Veteran

Loc: Newfoundland, Canada
"I am not making this personal."

no one is making it personal? asking who you train with is not a personal question? or who tought you the kata your studying? or the drills your working that based on the kata?

but you still havent answered any of the questions and somehow you keep posting? i don't get it at all, lol.

#395059 - 05/21/08 04:35 PM Re: Kata Embu [Re: Zach_Zinn]
jude33 Offline
Veteran

Quote:

Really? So watching some stuff on youtube can constitute training?

I find that some what personal.
Quote:

No, you need someone to teach you or train with you in Goju, just like any MA you can't spontaneously absorb something just because you like it.

I dont know what your referring to.

Quote:

We can still do it if you would like to?
I will let you lead.

I have no idea what you are talking about (big surprise), maybe you can explain it and i'll get back to you. I'm fine with talking about Goju kata, because I actually practice them, and I actually have trained in Goju, and have and do train some of the very drills (the toguchi ones) being deabted in this thread. I don't claim any expertise here, just that i've done the time and I do the drills.

Fine then we can compare the techniques that are in the kata. And please do me the honour of not getting personal?
Or didnt you recieve a PM about this subject from the moderator?

Quote:

All the big names dont have a lineage back to the founder?
Which big names?
I find that extremely amusing.
Here is something for you to work on.
Find out the names of the people who studied with the founder.
Trace the lineage through to associations found in The United States.
Then find the ones in the UK.
Quote:

Or maybe you should just quit beating around the bush and pony up who you train with since you seem to think it's ok to claim a direct link to the founder of Goju Ryu on an internet forum?

I find your manner offensive.
I train with a goju stylist who knows what he is doing.
Why I should have to state his name on here is beyond me.
Quote:

How can I study goju kata with out absorbing goju teachings?

Jude

"Studying" a martial art on your own is not the same as receiving in or participating in instruction with other people, i'm not sure if this is the case with you though, since you are totally evasive about what you actually do.

I study with a goju stylist.

Quote:

Everytime a new subject gets posted it appears you "study" it.

I find that remark personal. I study.
Quote:

Anyway, for people who aren't Jude33..

I find that remark personal.

Quote:

...new subject, do you think that these sorts of drills are best when there is equal play between attacker and defender, or do you think that they are best when there is a clearer relationship between Tori and Uke?

Alot of people questioned Taira senseis bunkai drill shown here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MmExIWEglSo
For lack of interaction from uke, to me this can in some ways be a plus, I do think there is something to be said for the "back and forth" creating bad habits sometimes.

#395060 - 05/21/08 04:43 PM Re: Kata Embu [Re: jude33]
Zach_Zinn Offline
Veteran

Jude, yes we both were told to cool it by a moderator. I don't really think i'm doing anything wrong here, i'm simply asking you to qualify some of the stuff you post, if you don't want me to do it then stop posting the stuff in question.

If a moderator doesn't like it I suppose they can tell me, however it's you that are jumping into threads with certain claims, then getting upset when people ask you to qualify your claims, or ask for further detail, if this bothers you you shouldn't be involved in the discussion.

I don't think it's reasonable to expect myself or anyone else invloved in this thread to sit back and ignore it while you go haywire with weird claims and statements about the subject of the thread.

#395061 - 05/21/08 04:43 PM Re: Kata Embu [Re: student_of_life]
jude33 Offline
Veteran

Quote:

no one is making it personal? asking who you train with is not a personal question? or who tought you the kata your studying? or the drills your working that based on the kata?

but you still havent answered any of the questions and somehow you keep posting? i don't get it at all, lol.

I train with a goju stylist.

If Zack would care to state what he finds in the said kata.
Then all this could be easily cleared up. Every time I ask something technical nothing happens.
Drills are created for kata.
So let us compare the techniques in the kata.
Then we can see if Zach knows this kata?
After all knowledge of the kata should be there before
a person can comment on drills?

#395062 - 05/21/08 04:45 PM Re: Kata Embu [Re: Zach_Zinn]
jude33 Offline
Veteran

Quote:

Jude, yes we both were told to cool it by a moderator. I don't really think i'm doing anything wrong here, i'm simply asking you to qualify some of the stuff you post, if you don't want me to do it then stop posting the stuff in question.

If a moderator doesn't like it I suppose they can tell me, however it's you that are jumping into threads with certain claims, then getting upset when people ask you to qualify your claims, or ask for further detail, if this bothers you you shouldn't be involved in the discussion.

I don't think it's reasonable to expect myself or anyone else invloved in this thread to sit back and ignore it while you go haywire with weird claims and statements about the subject of the thread.

.I would like to see your knowledge on this basic kata.

Are you willing to do it or would you prefer not to?

Jude

Edited by jude33 (05/21/08 04:46 PM)

#395063 - 05/21/08 04:51 PM Re: Kata Embu [Re: jude33]
Zach_Zinn Offline
Veteran

Quote:

Quote:

I train with a goju stylist.

If Zack would care to state what he finds in the said kata.
Then all this could be easily cleared up. Every time I ask something technical nothing happens.
Drills are created for kata.
So let us compare the techniques in the kata.
Then we can see if Zach knows this kata?
After all knowledge of the kata should be there before
a person can comment on drills?

Lol, I don't need to justify anything to you dude, the subject of the thread is renzoku drills/embu what have you. We ere discussing the comparative merit's of Dan's way of doing bunkai as opposed to the Toguchi-style gekisai drills.

If there's a specific kata application or drill you want to talk about i'm all for it, but you're making yourself look ridiculous trying to put me on the spot like you are.

As far as application from Gekisai, you can take the first technique (in most versions a jodan-uke upon turning to the left) and find many different things there, you can close them off and disrupt balance while attacking the ribs, you can open them up with a forearm strike, or simply check grab and control while getting inside their gaurd for the coming punch, there are a ton of simple and effective things in Gekisai that can be practiced in a sort of free-from ippon-kumite fashion.

The topic of the thread though, has been centered around pre-arranged "flow" drills, at my dojo we still practice the Toguchi Gekisai drill, though I will say that we practice it a little differently in some ways.

Are you questioning whether I know Gekisai? I hope so it's the first kata I teach and the first I was taught! In fact I practice all the kata of Goju minus Suparinpei, as to be honest I don't remember it.

Not sure why you continually misdirect these questions at me, as I said i'm open about what I do and about my own training, i'm not the one hiding from reality here.

Edited by Zach_Zinn (05/21/08 04:56 PM)

#395064 - 05/21/08 05:06 PM Re: Kata Embu [Re: Zach_Zinn]
jude33 Offline
Veteran

Quote:

Lol, I don't need to justify anything to you dude, the subject of the thread is renzoku drills/embu what have you. We ere discussing the comparative merit's of Dan's way of doing bunkai as opposed to the Toguchi-style gekisai drills.

And to discuss such a matter a good understanding of the kata should be known. kata study is on going. The kata is revisited time and time again.
Quote:

If there's a specific kata application or drill you want to talk about i'm all for it, but you're making yourself look ridiculous trying to put me on the spot like you are.

I wont get personal. I requested and if you care not to thats fine.

As far as application from Gekisai, you can take the first technique (in most versions a jodan-uke upon turning to the left) and find many different things there, you can close them off and disrupt balance, you can open them up with a forearm strike, or simply grab and control while getting inside their gaurd for the coming punch, there are a ton of simple and effective things in Gekisai.

Well that is one thing we agree on,

The topic of the thread though, has been centered around pre-arranged "flow" drills, at my dojo we still practice the Toguchi Gekisai drill, though I will say that we practice it a little differently in some ways.

That is my point. If the kata is only partly understood and flow drills are created then perhaps the flow drills can be at fault.
Either way I am sticking to doing what I do.

If you would like to compare techniques fine if not thats fine.

As regards my comments to the flow drills posted.
It isnt the direction I am going.

Jude

Page 10 of 18 < 1 2 ... 8 9 10 11 12 ... 17 18 >

Moderator:  Cord, MattJ, Reiki 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Fight Videos
Night club fight footage and street fights captured with the world's first bouncer spy cam

How to Matrix!
Learn ten times faster with new training method. Learn entire arts for as little as $10 per disk.

Self Defense
Stun guns, pepper spray, Mace and self defense products. Alarms for personal and home use.

TASER MC26C
Stop An Urban Gorilla: Get 2 FREE TASER M26C Replacement Air Cartridges With Each New TASER M26C!

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga